Iran v US confrontation

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember that vainglorious anonymous statement about silent guardians in the Trump administration valiantly striving to curb his worst instincts? Such typically hubristic crap...
There used to be adults in the room. Trump didn't like them disagreeing with him (more likely talking down to him) so they're all gone now.

Just yes men left. Mike f*cking Pompeo and a bunch of temporary staff he appointed.

The GOP standing by him are a disgrace, it really is getting close to treason. If you're an employee who knows your boss is committing crimes and you say nothing, you can be implicated in them. Just need a single one of the spineless sh*ts to point out it's gone to far and they'll all fall in line. But sadly, any spines have left the building.

All I can pray for is that history will judge these GOP members like those that supported Nero in the later days of Rome. And that some of them will be alive to feel the shame.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think even for his standards hes losing it now. Is there no sort of intervention that the government can hold due to his mental state?

He used to say dumb shit and not always act upon it. It's getting really bad. Allied nations should step in to not escalate things in iran

Simbo

I found this tweet interesting :

I get where he's coming from, but he ain't gunna feel so good if a Trump property gets attacked resulting in a pile of civilian casualties.

DVG7

So a group of military officials threw in a curveball on a list of options, not thinking trump would choose it, and then he did? That’s fecking horsecrud. People with blue ticks really do get away with so much.

There needs to be a serious rethink from Democrats about how to get this man out. Whether it was a tactical military move, or a move from the re-election playbook, Trump now has images of Iranian Parliament members chanting “death to America” and you can bet that a massive portion of those who have been silent or undecided with regards their political allegiance, will lean towards trump because of it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I get where he's coming from, but he ain't gunna feel so good if a Trump property gets attacked resulting in a pile of civilian casualties.
I don’t think he’s wishing it, he’s pointing out the weakness.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So a group of military officials threw in a curveball on a list of options, not thinking trump would choose it, and then he did? That’s fecking horsecrud. People with blue ticks really do get away with so much.
It’s not really unbelievable at all. From what I understand it’s a pretty normal way for the military to present options.

Carolina Red

Staff
I seriously doubt Trump knew this. He was simply looking to advance his own interests of making a splash against Iran.
Oh, I don’t doubt he didn’t know it, but still, that throws serious wrenches into the “he was there to coordinate attacks” narrative.

DVG7

It’s not really unbelievable at all. From what I understand it’s a pretty normal way for the military to present options.
With an option they don’t expect him to pick, that if he would pick, would escalate things the most?

Carolina Red

Staff
With an option they don’t expect him to pick, that if he would pick, would escalate things the most?
Killing Suleimani was the “nuclear option” meant to make him look at more moderate ones. You never expect the leader to actually pick the “nuclear option”.

The “giving the president a menu of options” is well documented at this point.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Which begs the question, did the Saudi’s actually want these peace talks or have they called in a favour from Trump?

Carolina Red

Staff
If true it's one of the biggest blunders that I have been able to witness.
Agreed. That tweet thread goes on to imply that Saudi Arabia might have double crossed Iraq & Iran by giving us intel on Suleimani‘s arrival.

Which begs the question, did the Saudi’s actually want these peace talks or have they called in a favour from Trump?
Exactly! Also makes me wonder where the US got the “he was there to plan attacks” from.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Exactly! Also makes me wonder where the US got the “he was there to plan attacks” from.
In the vault with Saddam's WMDs (which have led to derangemet in leftist brains)

Terrorist state which has already threatened the courts.

That article is the perfect example of the mystique I’m on about - “a general known for his military might and political prowess has stepped out of the shadows to shepherd the fight...the man known as the "Shadow Commander" and "Dark Knight" in Western media...”

Nobody’s denying he played a role, but many many actors have, since ISIS made enemies of everyone - in Iraq, the Iraqi army, Peshmerga and US Air Force have all been crucial, and in Syria the SDF and US in the north-east, the Russians and the SAA around Damascus and Deir Ezzor, and much earlier in 2014 it was a coalition of the most powerful rebel groups including al-Qaeda who expelled ISIS entirely from Aleppo Province.
All I wanted to say was this was not a post-assassination narrative but one that was carried even in mainstream US media 5 years ago.

DVG7

Killing Suleimani was the “nuclear option” meant to make him look at more moderate ones. You never expect the leader to actually pick the “nuclear option”.

The “giving the president a menu of options” is well documented at this point.
Yeah but surely “tacking one on” as alluded to in that tweet just didn’t happen. This would have been a better way for them to get him to choose their preferred option

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Remember that vainglorious anonymous statement about silent guardians in the Trump administration valiantly striving to curb his worst instincts? Such typically hubristic crap...
Now it turns out that they gave him this is an option. Thank you for your service general.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Nikki fits the role model for a lot of the right crowd nowadays. Technically a "minority" with all the policies of extreme right.

It's why that guy, I think Lawrence desouza, is so popular.

The Firestarter

The arrogance and compete disregard to respect any rule, tradition or person outside of their circle is appalling. This Presidency has been trampling all over rights and trying it's hardest to suppress or falsify any piece of information since they took over.

This alone should be reason enough to have them all removed and charged with treason.
SENIOR STATE DEPARTMENT OFFICIAL ONE: And they – that was an attack on our embassy by designated terrorists of the United States. And so this was a – this was a defensive action, but it is also to de-escalate, because Qasem Soleimani was escalating. This was an act of de-escalation.
How is killing a government official an act of de escalation ? Am I missing something or this people are rewriting terms and rules?