Ireland vs Serbia - WCQ

Brophs

The One and Only
Leicester proved it's not about having the best players. The north are on a roll because they are organised, have team work and clear game plans. Something that seems to be lacking from Martin and Roy
Agree. I don't think it's really the time to be getting stuck into the management, particularly as the biggest issues in Irish football lay in the governance and overall structure rather than underperforming players or managers - albeit, I do think very serious consideration should be given to their positions if, as expected now, we don't qualify - but O'Neill is the second manager in a row who has basically decided that our players aren't technically good enough to play any other way and has, in the main, adopted a basic, reductive style. That, for me, is the most damning indictment of his management. Tbh, I don't know what the answer is, but when you see the performances of sides like NI and Iceland, the idea that this is as good as it gets should be laid to rest.

In the long term, though, the sport will continue to die on its arse in this country if the FAI doesn't get its thumb out of its hole and actually take their job as custodians of the game seriously.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Without a proper consistent striker it's almost impossible for O'Neill and Keane. We dominated that game but there was not enough threat up front. Maybe Scott Hogan can become that player that we're lacking. Well done Serbia. A better side than us but we dominated on the night. We are not getting a result away to Wales - no chance.
Totally doable against wales- watch this space.

R'hllor

Wales vs Ireland - think there will be red cards left right and center.

SteveW

McClean is not someone who should be getting slated here. Worked like a dog tonight

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The players are below average. Worse than that really. This is that squad's level imo.

Wayne's World

Without a proper consistent striker it's almost impossible for O'Neill and Keane. We dominated that game but there was not enough threat up front. Maybe Scott Hogan can become that player that we're lacking. Well done Serbia. A better side than us but we dominated on the night. We are not getting a result away to Wales - no chance.
Yet he'll keep playing the likes of Murphy and David McGoldrick instead of giving players the chances....

vuc

First Team Serb
Crazy that they were going to play Moldova vs Wales in the Bishop's Bloody Blaize instead of this match. I had to intervene to get them to play it.

I'm over the moon with the result but really it wasn't a vintage performance. I think that Ireland were very predictable and had no ideas in the final third. Most of the time it was lump it into the box. Very Moyes at United.

Great goal from Kolarov who is probably our biggest threat which is mental given he's a defender.

Would have loved to have both of us qualify from the group, but wasn't to be. Good luck Irish for the next cycle.

lem8sh

He's not "absolutely fecking shite", but he is limited at a certain point. You can never give out about endeavour.

Stick Özil out there instead of him and it'd be a rout.
Bar his work rate which is superb he has nothing. I cannot name one thing he's good at in a technical sense. Can't cross, can't shoot, poor set piece taker, constantly booked, no skill to beat a man. But technical deficiencies apply to most of our squad anyway.

WhoDaGOAT

So you'd rather have McClean than Ozil? Jaysus.
I'd rather your granny over Mesut.

I don't get these Irish fans who bitch about our style of play and lack of technical ability if they aren't going to take up coaching themselves at grassroots level in this country.

The FAI are not going to do much about it, so it will take passionate individuals who are willing to put in the time and take some coaching badges.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
Totally doable against wales- watch this space.
I just can't see Ireland beating us in Cardiff if they need to. A draw yes, but to win you'd have to attack us unlike you did in Dublin and I think we'd do you with the extra space that would leave us.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic

I don't get these Irish fans who bitch about our style of play and lack of technical ability if they aren't going to take up coaching themselves at grassroots level in this country.

The FAI are not going to do much about it, so it will take passionate individuals who are willing to put in the time and take some coaching badges.
I don't rate Ozil highly but you must be having some sort of breakdown if you think he wouldn't be the best Irish player by far.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Summed up our team tonight. Positives first half, then no real plan b other than hoofball when things went against us. 1 win in 4 at home as well is not the signs of a team progresssing to the finals

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's over for Ireland.
1 point from the last 12. Not good enough.

Time for new management.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ultimately we're in third behind two teams who are quite clearly better than us. Hardly a maasive surprise.

Red Digger

It's over for Ireland.

Time for new management.
It's 3 points from the last 12 but you are right, it's not good enough. O Neill does it arseways, plays a very defensive set up against the weaker teams and goes more attacking against the better teams like Serbia.
We had enough in our squad to beat Austria at home and were a little unlucky not to get a point tonight. With better management we would have topped this group. It's not very strong.

Jaybomb

Our players are fecking shocking. It's as simple as that. McClean, Murphy, Whelan, Duffy, Walters... the whole lot. Rubbish.

Brady is probably the best of the bunch. And that's saying something!

Daryl Horgan should have been given a go.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

There are some excellent coaches up and down the country at grass roots level. Stephen kenny for example. It's unfair to say that supporters shouldn't criticise and need to get off their arses to force change. Wrong. The FAI need to get off their arses with investment and a clear vision from top to bottom

WhoDaGOAT

There are some excellent coaches up and down the country at grass roots level. Stephen kenny for example. It's unfair to say that supporters shouldn't criticise and need to get off their arses to force change. Wrong. The FAI need to get off their arses with investment and a clear vision from top to bottom
I already mentioned that they are not going to do anything drastic, so there you go. Spain and Germany have thousands of willing participants. We don't have the same unity, but we don't generate the same level of interest. Lots of Spanish players down the lower leagues coach while playing.

I myself will be looking to take badges in my early 30's when things have settled down a bit.

lem8sh

I already mentioned that they are not going to do anything drastic, so there you go. Spain and Germany have thousands of willing participants. We don't have the same unity, but we don't generate the same level of interest. Lots of Spanish players down the lower leagues coach while playing.

I myself will be looking to take badges in my early 30's when things have settled down a bit.
You'll be the coach playing the big strong kid with no ability whilst the small talented kid will be on the bench.

T_Model101

Is Jeff Hendricks injured?
Watched this with no commentary, we looked awful tbh. The worst bit seems to be that theres no likely replacements for Wes or Walters
Assuming O'Neill gets sacked after this campaign, who would we want to replace him?
LVG? ............

WhoDaGOAT

You'll be the coach playing the big strong kid with no ability whilst the small talented kid will be on the bench.
You'll be the parent that I'll slap for opening their mouth on the sideline.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Ultimately we're in third behind two teams who are quite clearly better than us. Hardly a maasive surprise.
This. We can all get disappointed and angry but when it comes down to it ROI just aren't good enough and don't deserve it any more than Wales or Serbia.

Eire Red United

He's not "absolutely fecking shite", but he is limited at a certain point. You can never give out about endeavour.

Stick Özil out there instead of him and it'd be a rout.
Alternatively, if Özil had McCleans attitude, he'd be the best player in the league.

Shark

@NotShark
It's over for Ireland.

Time for new management.
We could hire SAF and he'd struggle to do much with this lot. We don't have a single star player. We don't have a single player who the opposition would say ''let's focus on him, he's their danger man''

We're full of below average dross. That's the harsh reality.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
As much as I hate to say it we were very poor tonight. Far too much route one. Huge admiration for what Michael O'Neill and Chris Coleman have done for their respective countries. Leave me wondering if another manager could get more out of the Irish squad or are the Welsh and N.I. squads better than ours. Is it that our players are just not good enough to play pass and move. Very depressing stuff. The money paid to Keane and O'Neill would be better served developing players at under age level and onwards. No point in having high profile people in the top job if the players aren't there. The money spent on Trappatoni and O'Neill/Keane is staggering.
Most League of Ireland clubs exist hand to mouth. Yet down the years the L.O.I has produced some cracking players. If more investment was forthcoming that production line may well improve which would, in theory, benefit the national side. A lot of hard thinking for the F.A.I to do if they want to make the national team competitive again.
On a side note the coverage on RTE television was shocking. Based on audio alone you would think we played well. Do they think the public are thick? Nothing short of insulting

Eire Red United

McClean is not someone who should be getting slated here. Worked like a dog tonight
As he always does. Can never ever fault him for that and he's one of my favourite players because of it. He did annoy me a few times though by taking shots from silly positions (he wasn't the only one).

Eire Red United

We could hire SAF and he'd struggle to do much with this lot. We don't have a single star player. We don't have a single player who the opposition would say ''let's focus on him, he's their danger man''

We're full of below average dross. That's the harsh reality.
They aren't that bad. Most of our lads play in the premier league at a reasonably decent level. Agree with you on not having a star player though which we really miss, as our goal scoring record shows.