Ireland's Greatest Ever Sporting Achievement

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bit of a row underway on Twitter about this right now. Rugby test series win in NZ being hailed as the above.

Which is boiling the piss of football fans (beating Germany in WQ qualifier, or Italia '90 should be up there) boxing fans (Katy Taylor/Harrington/McGuigan) and athletics fans (assorted middle distance runners) as well as rugby fans who think winning a 6N grand slam is a greater achievement.

Discuss...

Conor

There is literally no way that is the greatest sporting achievement, it's a feckin test series.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That one time they prevented France from going to the WC.

RORY65

But we are the only national test side from the northern hemisphere to do that to them ever and more than likely the last
Why would it be the last? This is the worst New Zealand side in decades and with the greater population and resources it's very likely one of France and England will do it soon. It's almost certainly getting to a World Cup quarter final given that football is the most popular global sport so the competition level is much greater.

cyberman

Dublins 5 in a row is right up there. Conor becoming a two weight champ is another (despite what an asshole he is)
For me the greatest of all time is Steve Collins

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Why would it be the last? This is the worst New Zealand side in decades and with the greater population and resources it's very likely one of France and England will do it soon. It's almost certainly getting to a World Cup quarter final given that football is the most popular global sport so the competition level is much greater.
I have a sneaky feeling they'll win the lot next year, just look at South Africa we done it to them the year before the world cup, they got rassi in and won it, NZ will get Joe in and do it, it's a kick up the arse for them.

They are doing away with test series for a world series instead that's why we be the last.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
McIlroy's majors have to be up there? ni
Why not start a thread about Norway’s greatest sporting achievements? We could all have a great laugh about that one time you beat England and the commentator name-checked Maggie Thatcher? Or maybe get some banter going about skiing uphill and shooting things?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Beating the all blacks is great and all but there's an actual World Cup to win in that sport as well, so it's not like it's the pinnacle of the sport or the limit of our ambitions. And while Italia 90 was great for the country, surely our greatest sporting achievement should involve us actually winning something?

Instinctively I would look towards the Olympic gold successes, though I'm not sure which stands out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Beating the all blacks is great and all but there's an actual World Cup to win in that sport as well, so it's not like it's the pinnacle of the sport or the limit of our ambitions. And while Italia 90 was great for the country, surely our greatest sporting achievement should involve us actually winning something?

Instinctively I would look towards the Olympic gold successes, though I'm not sure which stands out.
Small countries nicking an occasional olympic gold isn’t that unusual though. Hence we’ve done it ourselves quite a few times.

I’m not sure if this test series win really is the greatest ever achievement but it’s extreme rarity gives it a good chance. Along with the manner in which it was won. Completely outplaying one of the best teams around in their own backyard (in a sport where home teams have always had a huge advantage).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You should be like the USA and have a World Cup for the sports that are only really taken seriously in Ireland.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They were glorifed friendlies werent they?

Katie Taylor being undefeated in her pro career surely ranks up there

Then for football getting to the 1/4 finals in 90 and beating Italy in 94 would have to rank above. They are still regularily talked about to this day. No one will remember beating New Zealand in a friendly 25 years from now

I'd rank Conor Mcgregor's dual title wins as higher as well

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I know it's a horse but Red Rum's achievements have got to be up there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Then for football getting to the 1/4 finals in 90 and beating Italy in 94 would have to rank above. They are still regularily talked about to this day. No one will remember beating New Zealand in a friendly 25 years from now

I'd rank Conoro Mcgregor dual title wins as higher as well
They definitely will. You might not but that’s not the point.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They definitely will. You might not but that’s not the point.
ah cmon you have to see it was very different. The country basically shut down when Ireland were in those World Cups. There was nothing but talk about it on radio, TV and all over the country its all anyone talked about.

Yesterday I didnt even know it was on and just saw a headline when I woke up

RORY65

I have a sneaky feeling they'll win the lot next year, just look at South Africa we done it to them the year before the world cup, they got rassi in and won it, NZ will get Joe in and do it, it's a kick up the arse for them.

They are doing away with test series for a world series instead that's why we be the last.
Ah OK, I didn't realise they were doing that, handy for Ireland to say they were the last. If they fire the coaches and make a change then there's still definitely the talent to go all the way but right now they're way off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leicester winning the PL over a 38 game season after escaping relegation (I think) the previous year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
ah cmon you have to see it was very different. The country basically shut down when Ireland were in those World Cups. There was nothing but talk about it on radio, TV and all over the country its all anyone talked about.

Yesterday I didnt even know it was on and just saw a headline when I woke up
Yeah, fair enough. Italia ‘90 was a slow burn though. So a lot of time to build up momentum. And it wasn’t that great an achievement. Most memorable for me, personally, but not a patch on say Greece winning the Euros.

Winning a test series in NZ is an amazing achievement for any team. Not just for Ireland. Which is why it sits above anything we’ve achieved in football.

kidbob

Leinster being one of the most decorated European rugby teams ever? Dublin recent run of success.

Tarrou

I have no idea what the greatest one is, but this is seriously impressive

Wales haven't beaten the ABs since the 50s

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I'd rank Conor Mcgregor's dual title wins as higher as well
:lol:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’d say it was most likely the 2003 rugby world cup. to be a country so close geographically to the winners must surely rank the highest of all.