Irish Politics

lsd

The Oracle
Didn’t know that

I saw the bids myself Strabane had the highest score in every catagory . 400 jobs that would have bought into Strabane the unemployment blackspot of Europe . 400 people who would in turn want lunch , etc shopping etc . It would have transformed the place beyond recognition.

She claimed Ballykelly already had a building suitable which turned out to be rubbish p,us when they did a build building they didnt have any roads leading to it and even now they have nowhere near the staff as no one wants to go there

Im not saying she took a bribe but when you dont take the highest bid and in a place you claim to support ?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I saw the bids myself Strabane had the highest score in every catagory . 400 jobs that would have bought into Strabane the unemployment blackspot of Europe . 400 people who would in turn want lunch , etc shopping etc . It would have transformed the place beyond recognition.

She claimed Ballykelly already had a building suitable which turned out to be rubbish p,us when they did a build building they didnt have any roads leading to it and even now they have nowhere near the staff as no one wants to go there

Im not saying she took a bribe but when you dont take the highest bid and in a place you claim to support ?
That does sound dodgy alright. Tbf ballykelly is a shithole too

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Fine Gael are doomed to loss a lot of seats.

I see them getting around 30.

As per usual the cycle of Irish politics goes on.

FF break the country.

Then FG come in and balance the books and get kicked out.

They fecked up housing but the choices were limited as the construction industry was totally hammered post 2008. Any party thinking that we can get up to 35,000 units per year anytime soon is lying.

In saying that FG should have done more to stop house prices rising.

Health is just a lost cause.

I expect FF to lead some sort of government. They might have the numbers to go FF/Greens/Lab and few indos. Then in a few years FG under Simon Convey will return to power. They will spent 3-4 years getting the public finances in order and be voted out.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fine Gael are doomed to loss a lot of seats.

I see them getting around 30.

As per usual the cycle of Irish politics goes on.

FF break the country.

Then FG come in and balance the books and get kicked out.

They fecked up housing but the choices were limited as the construction industry was totally hammered post 2008. Any party thinking that we can get up to 35,000 units per year anytime soon is lying.

In saying that FG should have done more to stop house prices rising.

Health is just a lost cause.

I expect FF to lead some sort of government. They might have the numbers to go FF/Greens/Lab and few indos. Then in a few years FG under Simon Convey will return to power. They will spent 3-4 years getting the public finances in order and be voted out.
FG haven't really sorted out public finances, though. We have the 3rd highest public debt in the world after Portugal and Greece. In the last number of five years they could easily have pumped some funds into reducing that but they didn't and we're currently stuck with €5bn interest on it every year. Health and social welfare spending is actually higher now than it was pre-recession levels, too.

All they really did was tax people to shit for a few years and then waste every penny they got back off it, whilst increasing out national debt, and now we still have those taxes (USC, for example) with pretty much nothing to show for it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Fine Gael seem to be trying to run this election on the economy too, which I sense has been a mistake. One they've made in previous elections too, I think. Aside from any criticism that can rightly be levelled at them for their own handling of the economy, it simply isn't where the electorate's focus is this time around.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fine Gael seem to be trying to run this election on the economy too, which I sense has been a mistake. One they've made in previous elections too, I think. Aside from any criticism that can rightly be levelled at them for their own handling of the economy, it simply isn't where the electorate's focus is this time around.
Yeah their election run has been poor. I'll be going Soc Dems, otherwise if I had to choose, I'd still vote for them over FF or SF at the "least awful" but it looks like they've already lost.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah their election run has been poor. I'll be going Soc Dems, otherwise if I had to choose, I'd still vote for them over FF or SF at the "least awful" but it looks like they've already lost.
Aye, think my first choice is going to the Soc Dems tomorrow too.

One positive with our electoral system is that even if you're disillusioned with all three of the major parties to the point where you won't vote for them, there's still a sense that you can find something to vote for in any given election. A vote for one of the smaller parties could still see them have influence as part of government, while the PR-STV system also allows you to actively vote against those you dislike the most.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I haven't got a clue who to vote for tomorrow. Genuinely.
I’ve ruled out voting for any of the big three, and have no interest in PBP or Renua, which just leaves the well-intentioned but boring left-wingers at Labour, Social Democrats and Greens, along with some independents. Happy enough picking between them tbh, although my order’s not set yet.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I haven't got a clue who to vote for tomorrow. Genuinely.
Look up which seats are up for grabs in your constituency, see if there's someone fighting for a seat who you dislike more than others, vote for whoever they're against.

Chairman Woodie

I’ve ruled out voting for any of the big three, and have no interest in PBP or Renua, which just leaves the well-intentioned but boring left-wingers at Labour, Social Democrats and Greens, along with some independents. Happy enough picking between them tbh, although my order’s not set yet.
I could vote Labour. Possibly even Social Democrats. But not the Greens. I simply don't trust Sinn Fein. I've no interest in PBP, Renua or Aontu.

Don't vote for FG or FF. Sick to death of them and hoping tomorrow brings about a change to the country.
I think alot people have had enough of both parties. I've had enough of Fine Gael, and I've never been keen on FF.

Look up which seats are up for grabs in your constituency, see if there's someone fighting for a seat who you dislike more than others, vote for whoever they're against.
Ah yes, vote for who I dislike the least.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So am I getting this wrong or are we most like looking at two real options:

FF and either labour/soc dems/greens. Once FF get close enough to a majority they can take their pick handily enough of whichever of these other parties will make up the difference, and that's FF sorted.

Or

SF do well enough and FF miss out enough so that in order to form a Government, FF need to enter into a coalition with SF. I'd prefer this.

I'm going to be voting for John Brady in my area as well as Soc Dem's Jennifer Whitmore who, apparently with her Greystones base might be able to take a fair few votes from FF's Stephen Donelly.

Withnail

FF and either labour/soc dems/greens. Once FF get close enough to a majority they can take their pick handily enough of whichever of these other parties will make up the difference, and that's FF sorted.

Or

SF do well enough and FF miss out enough so that in order to form a Government, FF need to enter into a coalition with SF. I'd prefer this.

I'm going to be voting for John Brady in my area as well as Soc Dem's Jennifer Whitmore who, apparently with her Greystones base might be able to take a fair few votes from FF's Stephen Donelly.
Over Michael Martin's dead body.

There is zero chance of this happening.

caid

Or

Dont think either are that likely. Don't think one of labour, soc dems etc will be enough for a majority so if they go that route they'd probably need pretty much all of them.
FF FG coalition seems more likely to me than SF being involved.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Dont think either are that likely. Don't think one of labour, soc dems etc will be enough for a majority so if they go that route they'd probably need pretty much all of them.
FF FG coalition seems more likely to me than SF being involved.
Over Michael Martin's dead body.

There is zero chance of this happening.
You're both probably right.

A FF/FG coalition would just feel like such nothingness.

I am surprised to see a SF / FF coalition is the most likely scenario with the bookies

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wonder how SF voters would feel if they went into coalition with Fianna Fail?

Charlie Foley

I could vote Labour. Possibly even Social Democrats. But not the Greens. I simply don't trust Sinn Fein. I've no interest in PBP, Renua or Aontu.

I think alot people have had enough of both parties. I've had enough of Fine Gael, and I've never been keen on FF.

Ah yes, vote for who I dislike the least.
Why definitely not the Greens?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Probably happy initially or at least potentially
Hardly the alternative to FG/FF they're promising though, is it? I would have thought that trying to force FG & FF to work together again would be better for them in the long run.

2cents

Scout
Just back, gave everyone a preference except National Party’s Stephen Redmond.

United58

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...e-stormy-conditions-to-cast-ballots-1.4166757

Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and Sinn Féin are set for an extraordinary tie in their share of the vote in Saturday’s general election, according to the results of the Ipsos MRBI exit poll, with all three parties winning almost the same share of the vote.

Read the FULL STORY and analysis of the poll HERE

The poll was taken today at 250 locations across the State, among 5,376 respondents who had just voted. It has a margin of error of 1.3% per cent.

If these figures are reproduced when the votes are counted on Sunday, it means that the outcome of the election will depend entirely on the parties’ ability to turn their share of the vote into Dáil seats - with Sinn Féin likely to struggle to match Fianna Fáil’s and Fine Gael’s return in seats.

A hung Dáil is almost certain.

Results of the poll:

Fianna Fáil – 22.2%
Fine Gael – 22.4%
Sinn Féin – 22.3%
Green Party – 7.9%
Labour – 4.6%
Social Democrats – 3.4%
Solidarity-People Before Profit – 2.8%
Independents & others – 14.5%

cyberman

Lets vote again boys. See you in a few weeks.
Edit SF voters wont go near FF or FG, thats 22 percent of the vote lost to them. Thats huge.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
@United58

Well in terms of seats SF would be behind the other two as they ran fewer candidates and will likely still be less transfer friendly. Beyond that it's really hard to say.

caid

Hardly the alternative to FG/FF they're promising though, is it? I would have thought that trying to force FG & FF to work together again would be better for them in the long run.
No its not an alternative. They promised a lot of things and being minority partners in a government would give them some cover to dump various policies. I'm pretty skeptical about how committed they are to most policies they're proposing, can't help it. Being in government in any capacity would probably do them good, maybe they can shake off some of the nightmare scenarios some predict from them. People being used to the idea of them governing would probably legitimise them somewhat.
If it was the greens or labour i'd agree that its a terrible idea in the long run, or medium run. I think if either are propping up a FF or FG this election they'll be functionally dead and buried next time out. I think despite some of the advantages it'd give SF its not necessarily a good idea and will almost certainly hurt them next time out. But past that it could potentially be a good strategy.

2cents

Scout
FG-FF coalition on the way yeah? Think Mary-Lou will enjoy herself in opposition over the coming years if that happens, she’s so impressive.