Irish Politics

cyberman

Leo had a bit if a mini meltdown in the Dail today. He needs to calm down in the face of SF or theyll eat him alive as opposition.
He also needs to stop using NI politics as petty point scoring. Direct comparisons with two different political systems leaves me seriously asking if he understands how things works up here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bit rich for Leo of all people to complain about others taking advantage of photo ops.

Eire Red United

Leo had a bit if a mini meltdown in the Dail today. He needs to calm down in the face of SF or theyll eat him alive as opposition.
He also needs to stop using NI politics as petty point scoring. Direct comparisons with two different political systems leaves me seriously asking if he understands how things works up here.
Just an open net for SF to make a fool of him. He really does come across as a spoilt child. Compare his appearance on the Late Late to Mary Lou’s the week before and she is clearly just a different gravy, despite the completely different treatment they got from Tubirdy.

And as a nationalist/republican living north of the border, Leo or any non-SF politician even daring to criticise how we are run makes me sick saying as they have abandoned us time and time again, from 1921, 1969 and even as recently as announcing lockdown without talking to Stormont.

Charlie Foley

Be a bit like Australia having a capital that isn’t Sydney or Melbourne. Don’t think it made Canberra any less of a shit place to live, mind you.
Plenty of examples in the US. Philly is not the capital of PA but it’s great, while there’s feck all in Harrisburg. Capital of Cali is Sacramento, not LA or SF. Albany New York another example. Baltimore dwarfs Annapolis here in MD (though Baltimore is shite anyway so bad example). We’d need to offer incentives to move private sector investment away from Dublin rather than picking a new capital I reckon. Difficult with all the existing infrastructure though (airport and ports especially) probably.
So many country towns dying around Ireland though. Where my grandmother was from is like a ghost town now. Grim.

arnie_ni

Plenty of examples in the US. Philly is not the capital of PA but it’s great, while there’s feck all in Harrisburg. Capital of Cali is Sacramento, not LA or SF. Albany New York another example. Baltimore dwarfs Annapolis here in MD (though Baltimore is shite anyway so bad example). We’d need to offer incentives to move private sector investment away from Dublin rather than picking a new capital I reckon. Difficult with all the existing infrastructure though (airport and ports especially) probably.
So many country towns dying around Ireland though. Where my grandmother was from is like a ghost town now. Grim.
Where are you living? Ravens fan here sp just being nosey

cyberman

Id say it would be a UI but NI would have its own political eco system. Like how the UK operates funnily enough. So Belfast for NI

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Poor auld Eamon. A 600% increase in seats doesn't always get you much credit.

jeff_goldblum

The most shocking part of that for me is that there are still 160,000 people in Donegal. Here was me thinking it had the same population as Leitrim or somewhere.
My guess is that it's probably a result of the border reopening and people who work in Derry realising that they could feasibly commute in from Donegal, which is beautiful and had low house/land prices because it's transport links to the rest of the Republic were and are dreadful.

Eire Red United

Jesus you would think the Blueshirts would try and hide Charlie Flanagan away after his black and tan debacle. With his latest tweet I’m getting convinced he’s an undercover Shinner trying to put people off FG.

cyberman

FF are going to get rinsed. How they think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Edit rotating Taoiseach? It makes a mockery of the position. How in Gods name do they even campaign for the next election after this?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aye. Seems like SF and FG will go into the next election with clear identities and as obvious opponents, both in terms of policy and culturally. If you vote for one you know the last people they'll likely go into government with are the other.

I'm not sure what FF will be going into the election as. Pleased though I'm sure they'll be at leading a government again, it seems like they're about to be hit by a serious identity crisis. What message do they sell at the next election?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Aye. Seems like SF and FG will go into the next election with clear identities and as obvious opponents, both in terms of policy and culturally. If you vote for one you know the last people they'll likely go into government with are the other.

I'm not sure what FF will be going into the election as. Pleased though I'm sure they'll be at leading a government again, it seems like they're about to be hit by a serious identity crisis. What message do they sell at the next election?
They’ve never had a message. They’re slippery cnuts who have always tried to be all things to all people. We can expect more of the same from here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They’ve never had a message. They’re slippery cnuts who have always tried to be all things to all people. We can expect more of the same from here.
True but that was at a time when FG were the only real alternative to FF. As it stands though SF are cutting into that populist space FF used to occupy and will now have a full government cycle leading the opposition. In that context I find it hard to see what appeal FF are going to offer in the next GE that one of SF and FG won't offer more of. Think they're at risk of being squeezed in the middle.

lsd

The Oracle
If it's three parties and a rotating Taisoich does that mean three leaders ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If it's three parties and a rotating Taisoich does that mean three leaders ?
Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that the Greens will be part of the rotation, which you'd think we would have if that was the case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This couldn’t have worked out better for the Sinners. Whatever they do, the current government is going to get dog’s abuse over the next couple of years. Impossible decision after impossible decision, with no right answers and limitless opportunities to hurl from the ditches. Don’t think there will ever be a better time to be in opposition.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This couldn’t have worked out better for the Sinners. Whatever they do, the current government is going to get dog’s abuse over the next couple of years. Impossible decision after impossible decision, with no right answers and limitless opportunities to hurl from the ditches. Don’t think there will ever be a better time to be in opposition.
McDonald will enjoy herself for sure. What an uninspiring prospect this arrangement looks.

Eire Red United

Country is in big trouble with those toe rags getting back in. At least SF should get a majority by the next election....

cyberman

The country is in huge fecking trouble, no matter who’s in charge. I’d be interested in hearing how you think SF might avoid that trouble?
To be honest, FF and FG started to steal a lot of SF policies and promises after the votes came in.
I do think this was a chance to reset some problems, if we have to work hard to build us back up we may as well work on thr foundations that will help with housing etc down the line.
I don’t think we will have the stomach for major change 5 years down the line. SF will still get in but they'll be massively let off the hook.