Is anybody backtracking?

Jaapster

Do you at least agree that we behaved poorly by allowing DM to hear of his demise via the media? Certain journos talked about being "briefed", I can only hope this was not true.
which is why I think woodward should have been potted too and he maybe yet.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Do you at least agree that we behaved poorly by allowing DM to hear of his demise via the media? Certain journos talked about being "briefed", I can only hope this was not true.
If that was the case. However, there are conflicting reports even on Monday that some United spokesperson denied the rumours to Talksport, the famous 4 worded "Moyes definitely not been sacked", so it could well be the media drove the rumours and the board decided to act Monday night.

Amir

I realised in December he just wasn't the right man. He's far from being our own problems. We do need some retooling in the squad and dare I say it, a bit of restructuring in the club. We can't do the Fergie way without Fergie. Sacking Moyes and appointing whoever is not a magical solution and it won't solve anything. But it is a good start.

The fact Fergie himself, according to reports, either backed or at least accepted the decision speaks volumues. It was absolutely the right call.

The Everton game was interesting with people saying afterwards the lads weren't playing for the manager. This wasn't a team of the veterans who may have had a problem with him. A few of the younger player, Mata who he signed, Rooney who he managed to keep. If that team didn't believe in him, what are we supposed to do? It's literally replacing the whole squad just to keep Moyes. Never in a million years.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm not backtracking in the sense that I didn't want him fired in the first place. The Fulham game got to me and for a few days after that I was sick of all of it, but since then, I've taken a step back and my opinion was that I wanted to see what he could do (could've done, now) after acquiring the players he wanted.

I'm not saying sacking him was a mistake, his results were poor and the positives about this season can literally be counted on one hand. I was just curious and thought he might come good eventually. I don't think he deserved to be sacked the way he did.

OP talks of 'unsavoury behavior' on the part of certain players, I haven't read any media today, what is that referring to?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, definitely the right decision. The more we hear the more clear it becomes that he was never up to the job and never would be, he just wasn't good enough for this level.

Giving him more time would've just damaged both the club and Moyes more.

Amir

which is why I think woodward should have been potted too and he maybe yet.
That's the difference between the CEO and the manager. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe Woodward has settled in and is doing a good job, who knows? We don't know who leaked it and why. But we don't need much help judging the manager - we see the results of his work on the pitch.

Robbie Boy

It was 100% the correct decision by the club and I'm surprised it took so long. Yeah blah blah he worked hard and was a lovely man. Unfortunately those two pieces of criteria don't mean a whole lot when he wasn't doing the main thing right, you know, his job. Our results were pretty atrocious as were plenty of our inept gutless performances.

He had shown nothing to suggest that he was capable of turning it around and I don't think he deserved a chance to be trusted with the kind of money that is apparently available in the summer.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
If that was the case. However, there are conflicting reports even on Monday that some United spokesperson denied the rumours to Talksport, the famous 4 worded "Moyes definitely not been sacked", so it could well be the media drove the rumours and the board decided to act Monday night.

I believe there was definitely somebody briefing the Press unofficially and they need their P45 slapped on their head. As Fergie said, "it always gets out", referring to his retirement announcement. Nevertheless, he needed to go and like many here, I decided after the Marseille(I meant Olympiakos) debacle that he had passed the point of return. I think we should have waited until the end of the season and done it properly.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's the difference between the CEO and the manager. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe Woodward has settled in and is doing a good job, who knows? We don't know who leaked it and why. But we don't need much help judging the manager - we see the results of his work on the pitch.
There are now rumours that Woodward leaked it to drive the media frenzy to drive the sacking through.

If he did stage the whole thing, kudos to the man.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I believe there was definitely somebody briefing the Press unofficially and they need their P45 slapped on their head. As Fergie said, "it always gets out", referring to his retirement announcement. Nevertheless, he needed to go and like many here, I decided after the Marseille debacle that he had passed the point of return. I think we should have waited until the end of the season and done it properly.
:confused: I assume you meant Olympiakos.

Anyway, Monday wasn't handled particularly well, but it's better to have the extra month to go looking for a new manager rather than sneaking behind Moyes' back to do it and causing a much bigger media frenzy if we get caught.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He was shit and got what was coming to him. It was fair.

I never wanted him to be our manager, 'turned' on him before most and was calling for his sacking since about November. Delighted that he's finally gone.

Smores

Didn't want him at the start as thought we needed someone with a bigger ego but thought he should have been given more time ultimately as I'm pragmatic about the teams weaknesses and expected a post Fergie feck up.
If we get a better manager all fir the better, if the dressing room was so negative then he had to go.

Anyone still operating under the illusion we don't have issues with the team is deluded. Just hope the new guy doesn't dither in the summer

Jaapster

Or maybe he got moyes potted to stop himself getting binned ,the glazers have history last time they binned a manager in the states the CEO went as well

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
:confused: I assume you meant Olympiakos.

Anyway, Monday wasn't handled particularly well, but it's better to have the extra month to go looking for a new manager rather than sneaking behind Moyes' back to do it and causing a much bigger media frenzy if we get caught.
:lol: Good spot.

Amir

Or maybe he got moyes potted to stop himself getting binned ,the glazers have history last time they binned a manager in the states the CEO went as well
Wasn't it the General Manager who was canned? It's quite different as the GM has just as much responsibility for sporting issues.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He was shit and got what was coming to him. It was fair.

I never wanted him to be our manager, 'turned' on him before most and was calling for his sacking since about November. Delighted that he's finally gone.
Same here, don't understand the point of this thread. Surely anyone who truly wanted Moyes gone would never backtrack whether or not there was a mutiny.

Erebus

This whole attempted change of focus onto Moyes being the good guy and the players/club being the nasties is a bit too revisionist for me. The reason he was sacked was simply because he was clearly not suited to the post and not achieving - that's why he's gone. The results were unbelievably bad and no fog of how he was sacked or the process will hide the fact that he was hopelessly out of his depth.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Same here, don't understand the point of this thread. Surely anyone who truly wanted Moyes gone would never backtrack whether or not there was a mutiny.
It feels like a last ditch attempt to turn a years worth of lost arguments into a moral cup win.

Can a loss be a win?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yeah, makes no sense to me either. Why are we going to feel bad / change our minds after what we have been desperate to see happen finally occurs?

The only thing I feel 'bad' about is a sort of frustration that all this seemed so inevitable after appointing Moyes. He was so clearly not good enough and we've wasted a year needlessly.

Nickosaur

I'd always support a manager in his first few years but I cant really complain about his sacking.

I think some of the players we've got are disgusting though
This.

He had to go, but I think the club could have maybe handled it a bit better.
And IF what is being reported is true, I think it's quite disgraceful from the players. No matter what you think of the manager, he's the boss.

Sad Chris

I stood behind him because he was the manager of the club I support. I stood up for him not knowing anything about his work except for the results and trusting in the people in charge to see more to him and his everyday work than I could from here.
That being said, I think I was cheating myself up to a certain degree. I think I just had too much faith and hope that it would turn out. I was looking for positives where there might never have been any.
I'm quite sure of this now in hindsight, because the moment he was officialy sacked, I felt relieved, awesome, excited and just great. I think the feelings I held back trying to stay calm and think rational just popped out of me and told me: "You were wrong you idiot!"

Sally Cinnamon

Moyes' disciples are cracking. Players are pure scum now. Get rid of the ringleader #GiggsOut

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah, makes no sense to me either. Why are we going to feel bad / change our minds after what we have been desperate to see happen finally occurs?

The only thing I feel 'bad' about is a sort of frustration that all this seemed so inevitable after appointing Moyes. He was so clearly not good enough and we've wasted a year needlessly.
This is frustrating. And there's another year out of the champions league next year. Thankfully I don't think the damage caused is too deep, and we can challenge for the title next year if we make the right appointment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Now that Moyes is gone I see us falling into a downward spiral. The truth of the matter is, we're now out of the Champions league, we have an aging squad with arguably the spine of the team going/gone and we're still in debt. At least with Moyes you knew you'd have someone putting in 110% for years on end. Now, I can't see anybody coming in within 3-4 years who will settle down and spend a good amount of time with us.
:lol:

Yeah, the main thing is someone who can "spend a good amount of time with us".

mu4c_20le

I read a telegraph article stating the board were impressed by what he was doing behind the scenes and the scouting all over europe was clearly part of rebuilding due to take place this summer.
Maybe it was all just a big misunderstanding, and that SAF meant for him to replace his brother Martin Ferguson as chief scout.

Jaapster

Maybe not , It might have needed something like this year to shake off the memory of losing a great manager

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Well put.
Not quite as good as this one though. I mean, if inventing someone to pity for the imaginary fallout of winning their own argument isn't deserving of the moral cup, I don't know what is.

I reckon some of the people so determined to force him out probably are feeling a few pangs of guilt about now.

Not that they are reconsidering, just that they feel bad for having played their part in dragging a decent guy across the coals. This culminated in him (essentially) being informed of his sacking in advance by the newspapers, who splashed it all over their front and back pages, an act widely perceived as unnecessarily humiliating.

But it's tomorrows fish and chip papers, and i'm sure their consciences will be quickly salved (and they can start getting stuck into their next target for a hate campaign - Rooney/Young/Cleverley/Fellaini/whoever).

SER19

Yeah ok, but in a thread about who could plausibly be backtracking or changing their opinion in the aftermath of a sacking that's been argued about all year, surely the most obvious assumption would be the people who were proved wrong or who's long term beliefs never came to fruition? Not the people who got what they wanted. Because, you know, they got what they wanted.

It's just a really odd place to come at it from. "So, you lot who got it right. When you think about it, did you actually get it wrong? Mmmm?"
no they represented the majority so i was interested to know if out of that many people if any were having doubts now. they were the most vocal too, and as i said i was wondering to what extent their opinions were influenced by frustration and emotion that they may have gotten clarity on since.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It feels like a last ditch attempt to turn a years worth of lost arguments into a moral cup win.

Can a loss be a win?
:lol:

As long as the Caf and RAWK exist that reference will never die, and the world will be better for it too.

What's with this soul searching about Moyes? He wasn't the right man, nobody believed in him and we were sinking like a stone. Backtracking? No chance.

SER19

alot of people completely misinterpreting this thread. i have no real problem with him being sacked but in the last couple of days have seen things from his side also. thats all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe not , It might have needed something like this year to shake off the memory of losing a great manager
I don't think we can spin this season as a good thing for the club. One small positive of it being so bad is probably that the next manager will be seen as a saviour.

An Irish Red

Some of our fans are more concerned with how 'classy' they think they look than in the club making the right decisions. Moyes had to go; even in an ideal world where everything went for him and all the players totally bought into his ideas he would still have been limited by his own mentality and footballing approach. His own footballing outlook totally clashed with that of Manchester United and time would not heal that.

He was the wrong man and it was evident from the start.