Is anybody backtracking?

SER19

this is not aimed at the anti moyes brigade that discuss things like schoolchildren and nor do i mean a complete change in opinion, but now that its been done do any people who were on the fence or just convinced he should go have different thoughts on the matter?

I read a telegraph article stating the board were impressed by what he was doing behind the scenes and the scouting all over europe was clearly part of rebuilding due to take place this summer.

And now hes gone there are talks of unsavoury and frankly disgraceful behaviour from some players. whoever is in charge, i dont want those players at united, and who knows? maybe moyes was about to say goodbye to rio and anybody else he thought was a bad influence.

i always thought he should stay another year, but as the dust settles and we begin the difficult process of starting from scratch and people can remove their emotions a bit more, how do people feel? any different?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No, very happy with him gone. If players didn't think he was up for the job and were generally disappointed with his methods, tactics and style then it was time to pack stuff and leave because he was clearly unable to reach them and we couldn't afford dismantling the whole squad just because Davis Moyes isn't capable of managing them. We are Man United not Moyes United.

acnumber9

These stories of stuff going on behind the scenes coming out at this stage make me a bit suspicious. I'd also be mindful of judging people's handling of a situation when I have no idea what went on. Ultimately the results and the standard of football were unacceptable and Moyes has a long history of it. That wasn't going to change and I'm glad his negativity has been removed.

Blasphemy

No chance. The man is not a winner and never will be. Couldn't be happier that he's gone.

Lance Uppercut

Should never have been appointed in the first place, great decision.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If he couldn't control the dressing room at United, some place like Chelsea would have done irreparable damage to him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I have always felt that he should have been given more time and nothing that has happened has changed that opinion. I hope that we are not now in a position where we are reviewing candidates and 'hoping' to land the one that we want. That could lead to another poor summer in the transfer market and another poor season on the pitch.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Surely the thread should be about those who were determined to back the club's decision backtracking now the club have? Why would those who wanted him out change their mind?

HabeasC

Footballers are footballers. They will always be cocky, arrogant and entitled. After all they are the geniuses who do the work on the pitch and earn the megabucks. From a young age they will have been told that they are the best and that has been enforced with their success

This applies especially to the ones who worked under SAF. In their minds, anything different that Moyes did that they didn't like, they could always fall back on "well Sir Alex didn't do that" and he was..... Sir Alex.

We needed to bring in a top manager who had won on his own and who was a big name. A small manager would always compare unfavourably to Sir Alex and the players knew that.

Now we need someone like Van Gaal to show the players who is boss and to put the players in their place. The idea that players are too big to be dropped (regardless of form) would have had a negative impact on the whole team. To put it simply, Moyes, Lumsden and Round were always fighting an uphill battle to gain the respect and loyalty of the players.

Mainoldo

Are we blaming the players again? I think all of the senior staff Giggs included were the bad apples? To me i just see that as experienced players knowing crap when they see it. This definitely is not nice to hear but i am not going to be ignorant by making stupid statements like the those that made his life hell should be gone from our club. They have contributed far more than Moyes and have earned their respect.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Moyes was never my first choice as manager. But when he became manager I had no choice but to support him, I didn't think the owners would be so ruthless. But since the newspapers came out with what they were saying, I knew it was the right decision.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
No, with it coming out that we'd been planning on his departure for quite a while, it makes it even more irksome to think we should have sacked him after the fulham game, when it was obvious to all he didn't have the tools required for the job, if we had, instead of waiting for this missing out on top 4 clause... I think we'd still be in fighting chance of the Champions League places, thats of course stated now with hindsight.

EricaNo7

I thought he should have been given more time but that was before today's news. The poor man never stood a chance by the sound of it . Who the hell these players think they are is beyond me . Too much money if ruining the game and making divas of men quite good at playing football

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm happy to back track... I was of the opinion that he needed more time and should have been given at least the coming transfer window to try and implement his own plan, whats the fecking point in hiring him and wasting a year otherwise.

By the end though I came to believe that it had gone to far and that he was for the chop sooner rather than later, in the cold light of day its probably the right decision, but as I've said, the assumption that we're going to walk out and bring in a top manager, spend 200million on world class players and return to the top of the league next season is a series of giant leaps that I will believe when I see.

Leaking it to the press was sickening, small time and very unprofessional.

Last edited:

NessunDorma

I reckon some of the people so determined to force him out probably are feeling a few pangs of guilt about now.

Not that they are reconsidering, just that they feel bad for having played their part in dragging a decent guy across the coals. This culminated in him (essentially) being informed of his sacking in advance by the newspapers, who splashed it all over their front and back pages, an act widely perceived as unnecessarily humiliating.

But it's tomorrows fish and chip papers, and i'm sure their consciences will be quickly salved (and they can start getting stuck into their next target for a hate campaign - Rooney/Young/Cleverley/Fellaini/whoever).

ThanksBoss26

No. It did take me a few months to think that this was the action we should take, but if anything, the stories that have emerged since have reaffirmed my belief that the Club were 100% right to get rid now.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
How anyone could think it was a bad decision after reading how long he didn't have the dressing room for, I'm not sure. You can't have a manager that isn't respected by the players, and we're not going to buy a new team to accommodate a manager of Moyes' capabilities. It's amazing he lasted this long.

We'll always have the iPads, though. Unless the cheeky bastard hasn't told us the PIN codes.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I reckon some of the people so determined to force him out probably are feeling a few pangs of guilt about now.

Not that they are reconsidering, just that they feel bad for having played their part in dragging a decent guy across the coals. This culminated in him (essentially) being informed of his sacking in advance by the newspapers, who splashed it all over their front and back pages, an act widely perceived as unnecessarily humiliating.

But it's tomorrows fish and chip papers, and i'm sure their consciences will be quickly salved (and they can start getting stuck into their next target for a hate campaign - Rooney/Young/Cleverley/Fellaini/whoever).
That poor, poor guilty strawman. Woe is he.

Plugsy

My opinion changed as the season went on, not sure if you call that backtracking though. Opinions are meant to change with circumstance and knowledge aren't they?

Kag

Absolutely thrilled. I'm pleased for the players and I'm now actively looking forward to the season ahead.

As for the baiting OP, since when exactly did the "anti-Moyes brigade" discuss the situation like school-children? I absolutely stand by the notion that the majority of Moyes-centered discussion was both constructive and fair. In the end it seems like the board were led to similar conclusions, the only difference is that they weren't posting their post match thoughts on redcafe.net every week.

Blue always red

Now that Moyes is gone I see us falling into a downward spiral. The truth of the matter is, we're now out of the Champions league, we have an aging squad with arguably the spine of the team going/gone and we're still in debt. At least with Moyes you knew you'd have someone putting in 110% for years on end. Now, I can't see anybody coming in within 3-4 years who will settle down and spend a good amount of time with us.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not at all, the biggest regret is that this correct decision was made a few months too late for us to salvage a CL place.

bucky

If he couldn't control the dressing room at United, some place like Chelsea would have done irreparable damage to him.
That's the sort of thing thats not true at all. What makes you think that our bunch are more decent human beings than Chelsea's? The naivety surrounding our players is mind-boggling, especially knowing what Rooney and Giggs have done over the years, not that I would care about their private lives. If it wasn't for the caf, I wouldn't even know about it. I'm glad we've no racists in our team, but the senior players have basically done what John Terry and a few others at Chelsea have done. Acted out against a manager, they either not liked working with or recognised at not being good enough. In Moyes' case it's probably both and I'm glad for Manchester United's sake that they have done it.

Last edited:

Lance Uppercut

Now that Moyes is gone I see us falling into a downward spiral. The truth of the matter is, we're now out of the Champions league, we have an aging squad with arguably the spine of the team going/gone and we're still in debt. At least with Moyes you knew you'd have someone putting in 110% for years on end. Now, I can't see anybody coming in within 3-4 years who will settle down and spend a good amount of time with us.
I see you are a glass half full kind of guy.

Siorac

An odd question. I wanted him out, he's gone, why would I change my mind now? Since the Fulham game I've been more or less convinved that he is the wrong man, I'm happy the club agrees. Giving him another summer and then a few more months could have been disastrous.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
No. Always thought he was the wrong guy. Nothing that happened disabused me of that. Sounds like this year was no picnic for anybody involved-that's too bad but doesn't take away from the correctness of the decision to get rid of him.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What? When did hardworking become the be all and end all for top managers? Can you name a single top manager who's famous for being LAZY? :rolleyes:

Brightonian

I would never have argued for his dismissal, and in a way I wanted us to give him one more season (two seasons being the minimum I hoped the new guy would get before I knew who that was.)

But I wasn't optimistic about the chances of him turning it around. So I suppose I was on the fence. I have to say since the announcement I've mostly just felt a bit relieved. I was worried that he'd try to make up for what were basically his own inadequacies by making massive changes to the squad, which I don't think is at all necessary.

Jaapster

That's it where's my can of petrol !!

Blue always red

What? When did hardworking become the be all and end all for top managers? Can you name a single top manager who's famous for being LAZY? :rolleyes:
No, but I can name some who go to clubs, fall out with players and then feck off leaving behind a trail of destruction...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
100% correct decision to sack him. It could have/should have been handled better though.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Im not going to pretend I was right or wrong atvthe beginning, I was very pro moyes at the beginning. I slightly preferred mourinho but I understood the reasons we went for moyes and thought it was right decision. There were a number ofbthings that slowly eroded my faith in his ability and put me in the moyes out camp.
Thesr might not be in completely chronological order.
  • Thiago, when it became clear he chose not to get him because he didnt know enough about him.
  • West brom home performance
  • Southampton h performance and subs
  • Stoke City h
  • Everton h and newcastle h games, tactics and subs and the pre match 'try' quotes
  • Spurs h (this is where I started to think we made wrong decision)
  • Swansea fa cup and sunderland home cup matches (this is where I decided we had made made wrong decision and I got in the moyes out camp
There's been a number of things since then that have been talked about to death that he did wrong. I think people are being harsh on the players, yeah they have acted lie spoilt children, but anyone who thinks professional footballers act like anything other than that are very naive.

I thin s lot of the moyes out people were like me who were very pro moyes at the beginning but a huge number of little things kept gnawing away at that until it broke