Is anyone else confused as to why we allow Fred to take long range pot shots, every single game, and on his weak foot?

Dominos

Now I'm not a big fan of the team taking a lot of long range shots generally, but I think some of the basic requirements of shooting from distance must be
1. You're a player who has a good consistent shot
2. The ball is a reasonable distance from goal, and set up nicely for a punt
3. You're on your strong foot

Fred has consistently shown to be a terrible striker of the football. And to compound the issue, he's not shy about taking shots with his right foot which is even worse. And yet every single game we have attacks break down because he wants his glory moment, to the detriment of our chances of actually creating a chance and scoring a goal.

This is surely an issue that the manager can be solve with a simple conversation. "Fred, from now on, when we're on the attack, start looking for a pass instead of trying your luck from 30 yards. Thanks". It really baffles me that our coaches can allow him to do this every game and not instruct him to stop. The alternative explanation is they've told him to stop and he just doesn't listen, which is even worse.

The same can be said about Rashford running into a horde of players and trying to dribble past 4 players every game, which could be solved very easily by telling him to release the ball earlier when he's attracted a crowd of players. But at the very least you can see why they wouldn't want to restrict Rashford's freedom even if he does choose terrible scenarios to go on his runs, because he'll actually contribute something to the attack ocassionally. Fred's shooting though, I just don't see the point.

He 100% will score a screamer in the next game now I've posted this.

I’m no fan of Fred. But I think this is an unnecessary thread, and can be raised on one of his.

I also don’t think it’s needed to micro analyse every single aspect of someone’s game...

acnumber9

It really shouldn’t need to be said. He attempts a shot from outside the box roughly as often as Rashford. It’s just fecking stupid. What’s more confusing is why he lingers around every free kick we get near the box.

Waynne

He can take as many long shots as he wants. He's earned my respect as a player. I simply love Fred. I love him like I love Ji Sung Park...long time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
On a serious note, from a tactical perspective it’s important that he takes the occasional shot from the edge of the box because it’s important the opposition continue opting to press him on the edge of the area because it creates space and angles for others to exploit. If he chooses to pass every time, the opposition will concentrate on his options rather than his line to goal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
On a serious note, from a tactical perspective it’s important that he takes the occasional shot from the edge of the box because it’s important the opposition continue opting to press him on the edge of the area because it creates space and angles for others to exploit. If he chooses to pass every time, the opposition will concentrate on his options rather than his line to goal.
He's such a non threat from long range, oppositions can let him have a pop and worry about the others

youngrell

Ole said in an interview just last week that he wishes he’d stop it, so imagine he’s already had the conversation.

Maybe Fred gets a bit giddy and forgets his instructions.

The most annoying thing is, he gets into some really good positions for a centre midfielder, it’s a shame it’s not Pogba or even Scott arriving as he does all the time.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

"Don't shoot with your right foot any more, please"

Bruno knows where it's at.
Honestly that's a great response from Bruno.

Because it tells us that there's real camraderie and banter in the playergroup.

People that banter are friends. We want this.

Fred needs to stop shooting with his right though for sure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't remember him making many actual long range shots. He's normally just outside the box, which I wouldn't class as long range.

I remember Herrera once saying that the manager (I can't remember if it was LVG or Mourinho) encouraged him to take shots in those kinds of positions if there was nothing else on, as he didn't want us losing possession when our midfielders were completely out of position and risk being counter-attacked. To avoid that Herrera would shoot so that he would score the odd goal and the rest of the time it would go wide/high and we'd then be able to reset our shape. It's something I took note of because there were always a lot of fans complaining about how often Herrera took shots in that kind of situation which almost always missed by miles.

Obviously Fred's shooting technique is even worse (although I feel he doesn't do it as often), but it may be a similar situation. Most of his shots are when there isn't really much else on and no obvious runs to pick out, and often he does look for the pass when somebody like Pogba or McTominay would go for the shot. Of course there's the occasional time he takes a shot when there is something else on and those ones annoy me.

MalcolmTucker

Ole bought this up in an interview last week so it's known. Whether Fred actually stops doing it is another thing

El Jefe

How he only has PL one goal for us is a mystery. Well not really a mystery, his shooting is abysmal and along with Anderson up there as the worst I've seen at the club.

If only we could get Mctominay and Pogba open in those positions as often as Fred is.

He finds himself in such good positions, that it makes absolutely no sense not to try and have a shot at goal. The end result does make one reconsider though.

Glorio

Ole bought this up in an interview last week so it's known. Whether Fred actually stops doing it is another thing
Yup - I think Ole's words were "I've told Fred that if he's going to score, it won't be with his right foot" or something to that effect. However in the heat of a game, it's not like our players will two-foot tackle him if things open up and he shapes to shoot - would be hilarious though :lol:

Scholsey2004

^ Is the correct answer.

Dominos

I'm really not sure this is the case.

Let's say Fred doesn't take any more long rangers for the rest of the season. By the end of the season how many of the oppositions pre-match preparation will involve them instructing their players "everyone remember, Fred never shoots. Never. So do not press him on the edge of the box if he has the ball." It won't happen. Players instinctually have to press the man on the ball, also to close off his passing options for the through balls as well as stopping the shot. I really don't think we need to worry about Fred balancing his shooting and passing frequency perfectly so that we're completely unexploitable. Obviously in a practical sense you cannot tell a player he is not allowed to ever have a shot, but having him shoot about 90% less than he currently does will be a net benefit in that we might actually have a chance of scoring from those attacks that he's currently wasting.

wolvored

Ole said in an interview just last week that he wishes he’d stop it, so imagine he’s already had the conversation.

Maybe Fred gets a bit giddy and forgets his instructions.

The most annoying thing is, he gets into some really good positions for a centre midfielder, it’s a shame it’s not Pogba or even Scott arriving as he does all the time.
Ole should fine him £100k every time he does it. Bet that will make him stop.

bugmat

It really shouldn’t need to be said. He attempts a shot from outside the box roughly as often as Rashford. It’s just fecking stupid. What’s more confusing is why he lingers around every free kick we get near the box.
He's actually good at free kicks and took quite a few of our set plays before Bruno joined. But yeah his shot especially with his weak is terrible. He's scored for us a couple of times and the best shot was with his stronger left with placement. When he tries to lace leather it usually balloons..

Ekeke

Ole said recently he keeps telling Fred one will eventually go in, so if anything its encouraged?

Fred has shown he can at least strike a ball decently well and test the keeper. I'm only concerned about the quality of the attempts he's taken recently. He needs to be more composed when doing it and get them on target

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You meer mortals can't possibly comprehend the greatest that exists in Freds right foot.

How dare you question this great power

Teja

I think Ole mentioned his right foot shooting in a press conference as well, so they're well aware :lol:

It's fine by me for the lulz, he's generally not a selfish player who keeps taking potshots all game. Just give him the occasional right foot effort even if it goes spectacularly wide.

Oranges038

Player instructions have been set to Long Shots - Often. Ole just needs to go into his setup and move that slider over to the left, job done.

After that fine him 2 weeks wages for no reason, just to see how he reacts.

Idxomer

The shot in the last game was stupid.

He had a good run and there was an easy pass for an unmarked James but opted for a shot on his weaker foot when he started getting pressed.

Skills

Snitch
Freds shootings an enigma, because technically I think he's got a fairly good shot. Just doesn't translate into anything useful.