Is anyone else confused as to why we allow Fred to take long range pot shots, every single game, and on his weak foot?

Ekeke

:lol: You serious? When has he ever tested a keeper ? Do you ever think he can score in or outside the area? Fred is good at 3 things. (1) He has a good engine but put breaks on whenever he gets within 20 yards of goal. (2) Passes the ball side ways. (3) Passes the ball backwards.
I can remember him hitting the bar at least 1 time with a good shot. But obviously it was with his left

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
:lol: You serious? When has he ever tested a keeper ? Do you ever think he can score in or outside the area? Fred is good at 3 things. (1) He has a good engine but put breaks on whenever he gets within 20 yards of goal. (2) Passes the ball side ways. (3) Passes the ball backwards.
It was only a few weeks ago that Leno pulled off one of the saves of the season to stop Fred scoring what would have been the winning goal.

He was unfortunate not to score the following week against Southampton as well when he forced the defender to score an own goal. Obviously that would have only been a tap in rather than a shot from the edge of the box though.

I'd generally agree he shouldn't be shooting with his right foot (the one he took against Newcastle was a stupid decision), but most of his left foot shots are the right decision just badly executed.

kthanksbye

I'm more baffled at why he's even allowed to stand on the ball during freekicks, pretending to provide a left footed option. :lol:

bugmat

I have to say this is a massive bug bear of mine as well. I am not a fan of any player shooting from distance really, albeit with players like Rashford, Bruno or Pogba you don't want to completely eradicate it.

However, I think Fred seems to take about 3/4 shots from long range every single game and it's usually rare that they are even close to hitting the target, let alone actually going in! I would be having a word with him for sure, because literally ANYTHING would be a better option than a Fred shot from distance.
This clearly isn't true though. He has taken 2 shots at the most in any 1 game. Also long range is subjective - he usually doesn't take a shot further than 20 yards out (a few yards outside the top of the box) as he largely ensures he's in that space regularly when we have the ball out wide or in the box. Stats-wise these may be considered "long range" but they are borderline.

Just last game he had 2 and one was on target with his left (well saved) and the other was aimed at Pluto with his right. the pluto shots stand out naturally, but he doesn't shoot more than 1-2 times a game.

Pablo76

I feel like it’s the same answer to this question and many others?

Why is Fred allowed to keep shooting?
Why is Rashford allowed to keep running into walls of players?
Why is Greenwood allowed to never pass the ball when he’s near goal?
Why don’t we clear the first defender at corners?
Why don’t we mark up at set pieces and attacks?
Why doesn’t De Gea come off his line?
Why is Martial in the starting 11?

Probably others too that are easily answered. Tactics are lacking. Management and coaching is inadequate.

keithsingleton

I can remember him hitting the bar at least 1 time with a good shot. But obviously it was with his left
So he's been at the club since 2018 and you can remember just once. It simply doesn't bold well for him. We really do need to replace him.

keithsingleton

It was only a few weeks ago that Leno pulled off one of the saves of the season to stop Fred scoring what would have been the winning goal.

He was unfortunate not to score the following week against Southampton as well when he forced the defender to score an own goal. Obviously that would have only been a tap in rather than a shot from the edge of the box though.
Let's presume on both these occasions he scored. That would bring his goal tally in 3 years to a mind blowing..... 5. Would that still be exceptable for United? Sadly not. He has to go.

keithsingleton

Probably others too that are easily answered. Tactics are lacking. Management and coaching is inadequate.
I'm on the same page. Good post.

James Peril

Sometimes finishing attacks is a good way of avoiding counters the other way, so a crap shot every now and again is fine. The questions should be asked though; do you score lots in training? Do you have a solid record over the years in matches? If not, then never shoot the fecking ball from distance.

Lynty

I'm on the same page. Good post.
Do people just wander around the cafe looking for threads to throw unnecessary shade at our coaching team.

Pablo76

Do people just wander around the cafe looking for threads to throw unnecessary shade at our coaching team.
On the contrary. I think Ole is doing fine all things considered, great rebuild and has improved us in many ways. I’m not Ole out.

All of the things I’ve mentioned however, happen in every single match, and that’s a fact.

Tarrou

Is it really a case of allow though?
You can tell a player a million times to do or not do something and they can do it regardless
I'd agree 'allow' isn't the right word but it's an arbitrary distinction isn't it?

if the coach asks you to stop doing something and you ignore it, you'll get dropped

he takes way too many low EV shots for a player of his shooting ability.. I swear some of his right foot shots have an xG of 0 :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Let's presume on both these occasions he scored. That would bring his goal tally in 3 years to a mind blowing..... 5. Would that still be exceptable for United? Sadly not. He has to go.
Goal scoring is a great bonus for a deeper midfielder, not something that you sell a player for not having. :lol:

In Carrick's last eight seasons with us, he scored seven goals. Even Scholes only had two good goal scoring seasons once he moved into a deeper role, otherwise he was scoring 1-3 a season. Matic has scored 11 goals in his 8 years in England. Fabinho joined Liverpool at the same time Fred joined us and has the exact same record. Henderson had one season that he scored 4 goals, otherwise he's only been scoring 1-2 goals in the last 6 seasons. In Kante's best seasons he was only scoring 1 or 2 goals a season (he actually scored 8 over the last 2 seasons when most agree he wasn't as good). Rice is somebody that a lot of people seem to want to buy - he has 4 goals in 4 seasons. Ndidi has 9 goals in 5 seasons. Fernandinho is the only one I found with a quick look that had a decent goal scoring record, and even that is only averaging 4-5 a season (not counting last season when he played in defence).

Lentwood

These are valid points though. I’m an ardent Ole-in supporter because I think he’s done a great job under the circumstances

The majority of the time I can see the logic in his decisions, but there’s a few lately I just can’t understand at all.

1) Why not ask Fred to stop shooting and stop loitering over free kicks? There must be something more useful he can be doing than just standing over the ball for no apparent reason.

2) Why doesn’t Ole do something about De Gea? It’s almost Sunday League stuff now, teams are actually just lobbing high balls into the box knowing the keeper is suspect. Even if Henderson does literally nothing else, having him helping out a set-pieces would be a massive plus.

3) Why does Ole keep moving Rashford off the left where he is somewhat effective to play in positions he is not really effective in, to accommodate Martial who has done nothing all season?

city-puma

When he has the ball with the space opened up and has no better options, he definitely should shoot no matter it’s his weak or strong foot.
No shooting, no scoring. It’s as simple as that even though we all accept he is really not good in shooting. In fact, he seldom shoots. So, he is apparently very careful about that.

Brightonian

When he has the ball with the space opened up and has no better options, he definitely should shoot no matter it’s his weak or strong foot.
No shooting, no scoring. It’s as simple as that even though we all accept he is really not good in shooting. In fact, he seldom shoots. So, he is apparently very careful about that.
Yep, this.

Adamsk7

These sorts of threads always make me laugh - “how do we allow so and so to do blank” .....like anyone has a choice in the matter! Football is played at a fast pace, faster than it looks on TV, so when a player spots another player in good space, does anyone really think that they go “oh that’s Fred, he’s a bit poo at shooting, I won’t pass it to him, I’ll just hold on to it..” ? Probably 8 out of 10 times they don’t have the time to do that. Similarly, do you think Fred thinks “look there’s a gaping hole for me to run in to and I will be in a good place to shoot but naaaah my track record is crap so I won’t bother” ? No! If there’s space, you damn well run in it and if you get the ball and the shot is the best option in the split second you have to decide, then you take the shot, I don’t care if you’re Fred, Phil Jones or someone genuinely good at long shots like a Ruben Neves.

criticalanalysis

On the contrary. I think Ole is doing fine all things considered, great rebuild and has improved us in many ways. I’m not Ole out.

All of the things I’ve mentioned however, happen in every single match, and that’s a fact.
Can agree with all of them except the corner one. Shaw has been absolutely brilliant!

When it's others taking it, yes it can be a very mixed bag though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Almost went in! Ole looked pleased :D
Idiotic to be honest. He shouldn’t be pleased about consistently wasting the ball in the attacking third. Fred is by far the worst player I’ve seen at Man Utd when it comes to taking long range shots. He’s completely woeful and that laugh from Ole is making me think that he doesn’t realise it’s a problem or worse actively encourages Fred to take shots.

NinjaFletch

Come off it, Ole was laughing because it wasn't a bad effort. If Fred was routinely getting that close it wouldn't be an issue.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Idiotic to be honest. He shouldn’t be pleased about consistently wasting the ball in the attacking third. Fred is by far the worst player I’ve seen at Man Utd when it comes to taking long range shots. He’s completely woeful and that laugh from Ole is making me think that he doesn’t realise it’s a problem or worse actively encourages Fred to take shots.
Exaggerate much?

I can only assume you’re not familiar with the likes of Anderson and Djemba Djemba.

Two of our best efforts on goal today, that’s for sure

RonaldoVII

He'll end up scoring one soon which will just mean he'll shoot more and be allowed to get away with it for years to come. Like Rashford's free kick.

RashyForPM

Exaggerate much?

I can only assume you’re not familiar with the likes of Anderson and Djemba Djemba.

Two of our best efforts on goal today, that’s for sure
Ander Herrera has a real claim for worst of the lot. He would get under them, scuff them and break one or two car windows.

Teja

It's more of a meme than actual seriousness. Ole commented on it in a press conference a few weeks ago saying as long as Fred doesn't shoot with his right foot he's okay, Bruno had an IG comment on Fred's status etc.

I don't mind it, his right foot is weak but it's not like he's a selfish player who keeps taking potshots all game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fred mentioned or Ole mentioned that it's something he's been told to do more in training.

Ole loved it when he tried a shot today :lol: he was close to be fair.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Was actually one of my favourites moments of the day when Ole gave him a thumbs up after that shot.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He'll end up scoring one soon which will just mean he'll shoot more and be allowed to get away with it for years to come. Like Rashford's free kick.
Or like when Rooney did that one lob against James in the Fa Cup. Never stopped doing them after that and failing miserably.

Brightonian

Again, he was in a position where it's absolutely unforgivable not to take a shot. It wasn't a bad shot at all. His often aren't. He's not got the best shot on him but he's also unlucky that these never seem to go in.

You can't tell him not to shoot in that situation. If you're telling him to pass up an obvious opening like that, then you can't pick him in midfield at all. It would be like telling a CB 'you're starting today but don't head the ball at all because you're not good at it.'