Is anyone else confused as to why we allow Fred to take long range pot shots, every single game, and on his weak foot?

Alek M

Da manic one
Actually I like what Ole is trying to do. Having him and McT take shots from around the box will open things up. His goals are coming!

Eternitiy

Ander Herrera has a real claim for worst of the lot. He would get under them, scuff them and break one or two car windows.
I remember those, but at least Herrera scored a good handful of goals each season. Fred is hopeless, very poor technique.

RashyForPM

Scored 20 goals for United though. As opposed to the 3 that Fred has.
3? Wow, I’m surprised it’s that little. Even 20 goals in 6 seasons for a box to box midfielder is pretty awful. I suppose Herrera took far more shots (can’t prove it, but to the naked eye it definitely seemed so), but Fred’s shooting technique and body shape is really bad too. Either way, I’m surprised Mourinho never told Herrera to cut it out, and I think that’s exactly what Ole needs to tell Fred.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Telling players not to shoot is a great way to kill what confidence they had

Zen86

I think some people would rather Fred stutter on the edge of the box looking for a pass that’s not on, instead of taking the opportunity to shoot when it presents itself.

Brophs

The One and Only
The one on his right foot was so close. It would have been a belter. Generally, though, he’s just not an especially good striker of the ball, whether shooting from range or passing through the midfield.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Don’t mind the odd shot, you might get a deflection or corner.

the one thing that annoys me is Fred thinks he is Pirlo, trying to whip a ball at 100 miles an hour over a long distance - ends up drilling it too far or out for a throw. He needs to be told to play it short or wide.
It’s infuriating as each game he does well to take pressure of us, but then gifts the ball right back.

we all see it, yet it happens game after game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He must find himself in these positions every game due to instructions by the oppo, imagine if we managed to get Bruno or Pogba in those positions every game :(

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People complaining about Fred shooting - obviously never watched Jean Tigana playing football. He had almost everything - he just couldn't shoot the ball.
True :lol:

To make it even weirder, his only goal that I remember was an insane screamer that was hit with so much power and precision. Broken clock...

SirScholes

Depends how you do it, if you show where there are better options or what you want them to do in that area it’s alright
If you sit him down and tell him he’s shit at shooting then probably would

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
To be fair he was close to getting an absolute worldie with his right yesterday

Ash_G

He must find himself in these positions every game due to instructions by the oppo, imagine if we managed to get Bruno or Pogba in those positions every game :(
I think that this is in general a fair view point, I mean you do occasionally see whether it's for a cm or cb that space just opens up and it's a good opp- you have to play in the moment, but you also have to wonder if at times teams are playing in a way where this becomes the option e.g. let the guy who has a poor technique from distance take a shot at gk, we'll take that chance. Similarly I can't remember the game but essentially Maguire kept being given space to advance with the ball. That's not necessarily him taking charge/doing well but the opposition doing well/us doing badly such that it's a cb who's trying to dribble into the box because we can't get the ball to our attackers in that position- again as far as attacking threat goes teams might be happy to take that chance.

In fairness to Fred his efforts yesterday weren't bad and it's not like he should never shoot but would be good if we could work it more often as you say such that it's basically anyone else in our midfield/attack getting that opp than him!

Litch

....again what's with this Fred thing? How many deeper playing midfielders score goals anyway? Even the best score one or two max each season, it's really completely blown out of all proportion. Even more so, often the shots are outside the box. Don't know the percentage but it must be low how many goals are scored in general from that position. This Fred thing is becoming boring and like the passing thing, people are looking for it, yet ignoring other players....

Patchbeard

....again what's with this Fred thing? How many deeper playing midfielders score goals anyway? Even the best score one or two max each season, it's really completely blown out of all proportion. Even more so, often the shots are outside the box. Don't know the percentage but it must be low how many goals are scored in general from that position. This Fred thing is becoming boring and like the passing thing, people are looking for it, yet ignoring other players....
People aren't looking for it, they see it every game and it's getting frustrating/comical!

Kostov

Christ he has awful shot technique and so little sense not to shoot. Even that one that came close to target yesterday, was so hopelessly hit it was pure luck getting that close to target. He will probably try another 150 shots in the next few games and score zero.

Robertd0803

Because at some point in the 96th minute of a game he will bang in the winner from 30 yards.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You wouldn’t do it in those words. Be quite easy to spin it positively and say we’re gonna work on getting more out of being around the box, and then analyse it, work on his decision making, hell, work on his shooting.

You’d do the same for someone constantly giving the ball away by other means. At least I hope they do.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You wouldn’t do it in those words. Be quite easy to spin it positively and say we’re gonna work on getting more out of being around the box, and then analyse it, work on his decision making, hell, work on his shooting.

You’d do the same for someone constantly giving the ball away by other means. At least I hope they do.
We're a team that believes in consistently doing what doesn't work and hope that someday it'll work.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Worst since the last Brazilian midfielder we had, in my opinion. Hell even Fernandinho, Rice, Kante etc have a better shot on them.
Peireira has a nice shot on him, we've somehow managed to sign 3 of the worst brazilian shooters in Fred, Anderson and Kleberson :lol:

Litch

.....Fred shooting from outside of the box is terribly but how many goals are scored from outside anyway by players who can? It's just absolute nonsense to say he doesn't score how much goals and more reason to justify criticising him.....he's not the answer but he's not the problem either

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he can shoot OK, he just often shoots as a secondary thought so ends up rushing it and scuffing it.

He had 2 good shots against Chelsea, the right foot curler and the left foot shot right at the end - had plenty of power on it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Allow him? I'm sure there isn't a clause that he isn't allowed..maybe there should be.

At least he takes responsibility and has a pop. No Pogba, there's only Bruno in midfield that has a go

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He hit it better than his average shot from his stronger foot. Would have been a cracking finish.

In general he does have an 'Anderson' vibe about a lot of the things he does though, including his shooting.
Yeah I can see the comparison in that sense definitely. Similarly likeable too :)

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Depends how you do it, if you show where there are better options or what you want them to do in that area it’s alright
If you sit him down and tell him he’s shit at shooting then probably would

I'd still never discourage creativity. Do that and soon as you'll be left with is zombie passing we all hate.

Work with Fred to improve his shooting. Encourage him to get a bit closer. But I'd never criticism shooting or creativity.

There-in lies Van Gaal

Last edited:

SirScholes

I'd still never discourage creativity. Do that and soon as you'll be left with is zombie passing we all hate.

Work with Fred to improve his shooting. Encourage him to get a bit closer. But if never criticism shooting or creativity.

There-in lies Van Gaal
You have to critique players, if someone isn’t good at something and they keep doing then yes coach them and make them practice but they shouldn’t do it on the pitch.
He’s literally the only player taking swingers with his wrong foot

edit: it’s not even creative, it’s panic

SirScholes

Allow him? I'm sure there isn't a clause that he isn't allowed..maybe there should be.

At least he takes responsibility and has a pop. No Pogba, there's only Bruno in midfield that has a go
Mctom has a much better shot, been impressed with his runs into the box before he had a spell on the treatment table

SirScholes

We're a team that believes in consistently doing what doesn't work and hope that someday it'll work.
Brilliantly worded, this is us apart from Bruno, Pogba and Matic, no one else has a footballing brain cell between them
Edit: And shaw

RUCK4444

Work with Fred to improve his shooting. Encourage him to get a bit closer. But if never criticism shooting or creativity.

There-in lies Van Gaal
Agree. I never really get frustrated with a player attempting creativity or something positive on the pitch even if it doesn’t come off, keep trying and it will, as evidenced by Bruno’s outstanding return this season.

I’d rather see a player have some balls and try something than play it safe. It’s a shite mentality and it breeds a weak mindset in the team.

Ive always said I would rather lose a game trying to win. To me that’s what United is about, win at all costs, attack, attack, attack.

We don’t yet have the team to allow us to play that way but we are certainly a world away from LVG negative possession tactics.

Litch

Long range shots are pretty much a lottery whoever hits them even if you have a good shot. Just seems yet another reason to criticise him....

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ander Herrera has a real claim for worst of the lot. He would get under them, scuff them and break one or two car windows.
there was a story about that. Apparently LVG told him to shoot if anything came to him on the edge of the box instead of recycling when there was nothing on and running the risk of being countered. Blast it so it either goes in or a mile over and we have time to get set back into shape.

#system

Last edited:

RashyForPM

there was a story about that. Apparently LVG told him to shoot if anything came to him on the edge of the box instead of recycling when there was nothing on and running the risk of being countered. Blast it so it either goes in or a mile over and we have time to get set back into shape.

#system
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-United-ace-shoot-without-looking-ball.html
Just had a look, apparently LvG always wanted him to ‘control and shoot’ even though he never even opened his eyes when shooting. Makes sense that :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Michael Cox wrote on this subject last season too. Fred was the only player to appear in both. :D