Is being a defender more difficult nowadays?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Because of the latest advancements in training and diets, every footballer is now required to be an athlete. But how does that translate to defenders? Are they better prepared to cope with attackers or on the contrary are they more exposed to vertiginous and direct football?

Paul_Scholes18

Do we have more or less goals now? I feel it is probably less so defenders cope with things very well. I just think they get exposed in the media for errors much more than in the past.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Do we have more or less goals now? I feel it is probably less so defenders cope with things very well. I just think they get exposed in the media for errors much more than in the past.
That's a very good point.

Abraxas

I don't think it's any different overall. In a lot of teams they get a different type of protection to what they used to. Which perhaps leads to different preferred characteristics for centre backs in a general sense.

But it's still largely dependent on the team, there are still clubs that sit back and defend successfully where you would really value a defender with good positioning, marking, ability to clear the ball. But in higher lines of course you need a bit more than that, but is it "harder" if most of the defending is done from the front and they actually do very little defending? Maybe on the occasions they are required to defend its more likely to be an exposed situation but then you should have the attributes and maybe it's less frequent.

I think full backs have a pretty hard job. Both aspects of their role are criticised to an incredible degree, at least at a club like ours. You have to pretty much defend faultlessly and be a threat or there is ammunition for criticism, it seems. Well, that's not particularly easy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes. More likely to get booked, sent off, caught out by the new offside rule and be placed in 1v1 situations with lots of space behind them.

The average varies, but generally it's slightly more than the 1980-1990s. But I'd say it's down to a more challenging environment to defend in that's encouraged teams to be more attacking. Agree on your second point too. We typically judge defenders (and goalkeepers) by the number of mistakes they make - so the more media exposure there is, the poorer they look.

Lentwood

Its a 100% more difficult at a top club

In the old days, it was enough to set your defensive line 30yards from your goal, kick/tackle anything in your path and clear your lines.

Nowadays, defenders like Maguire, Lindelof, Diaz, Van Dijk and Stones have to play on the halfway line AND be comfortable enough on the ball to keep possession and launch attacks

Also agree with those saying the media scrutinise and analyse defenders far more now than ever. Go back 12 years and analyse Vidic and Rio like Maguire is analysed nowadays. They were undoubtedly world class defenders but I guarantee they made far more errors than most fans appreciate now.

Hammondo

Defenders in general are a lot more athletic than they used to be.

Lastwolf

A cursory look, it's more, though apart from some monster 100+ seasons it's not that much more, worst team scores around 1 goal a game or less, top teams scores 2-3 goals a game, champions tending to be around 80 and above.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s just different. Defenders tend to face different threats now. They play against forwards that have more in their locker. Long gone are the days of one dimensional forwards that are Big & Strong or Small & Fast.

The typical forward now has a blend of attributes, requiring a different style of defending. Having said that, it’s rare to find forwards that are exceptional at any one thing. (Aside from the very best 5).

As athletes, most positions are now superior, but it’s comparing apples to oranges. Duncan Ferguson would rag doll most modern centre halfs. But he’d be a bad fit for most clubs as very few are looking for what he brings to the table. Similarly, a player like Kanchelskis would tear most modern teams apart. He’d probably be played down the left and told to gallop inside towards goal every time he got the ball.

Defenders have a really easy time of it in terms of protection. Refs blow sooner, goalkeepers sweep up, most teams play at least one holding midfielder, many teams two. But they also need to be well rounded. It’s art more than science.

thepolice123

It’s just different. Defenders tend to face different threats now. They play against forwards that have more in their locker. Long gone are the days of one dimensional forwards that are Big & Strong or Small & Fast.

The typical forward now has a blend of attributes, requiring a different style of defending. Having said that, it’s rare to find forwards that are exceptional at any one thing. (Aside from the very best 5).

As athletes, most positions are now superior, but it’s comparing apples to oranges. Duncan Ferguson would rag doll most modern centre halfs. But he’d be a bad fit for most clubs as very few are looking for what he brings to the table. Similarly, a player like Kanchelskis would tear most modern teams apart. He’d probably be played down the left and told to gallop inside towards goal every time he got the ball.

Defenders have a really easy time of it in terms of protection. Refs blow sooner, goalkeepers sweep up, most teams play at least one holding midfielder, many teams two. But they also need to be well rounded. It’s art more than science.
Big Dunc will not be ragdolling anyone with VAR in the game. :lol:

He probably wouldn't even be a top striker.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Much harder, I'd say. In the past if you were big and fast, could head and do a sliding tackle, then congratulations, you're signed.

James Peril

It’s much more difficult, the pace of the game changes everything. Look at videos from the 50’s and 60’s, the level of defending is comical. Then the 70’s and 80’s which is still quite embarrassing to watch, where players are stand still whilst players drible around them. The Maradona-goal is literally dribling around woeful defenders that are not even trying to take the ball, in this day and age he would be hacked down after passing the first player when defenders are so close to the ball.
Obviously something changed in the 90’s and 00’s with all the legends we have from back then, but now the game has become so much quicker, players are faster, transitions are always more rapid, it’s almost a different sport.

It's different. The game overall has become more tactical at the expense of individuals. As a modern defender you're not going to be left isolated with an R9 bearing down on you or wondering where Van Basten will pop up next, but you do have to be aware of and react to so much more going on around you.

As with all these era comparisons, i'm pretty sure with modern training most older defenders would be just as good if they played now, and vice versa.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
VAR is impacting defending. It was it had to be a forceful contact. Now they slow it down to almost frame by frame to see if any contact was made.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Football is more difficult because there is so much more media coverage. You can turn on the tv any day of the week and you see old people talking about why Maguire should've positioned himself 7 inches to the left and will never be one of the great unless he consistently manages to defend the space in between the lines and blablablaaaa

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s much more difficult, the pace of the game changes everything. Look at videos from the 50’s and 60’s, the level of defending is comical. Then the 70’s and 80’s which is still quite embarrassing to watch, where players are stand still whilst players drible around them. The Maradona-goal is literally dribling around woeful defenders that are not even trying to take the ball, in this day and age he would be hacked down after passing the first player when defenders are so close to the ball.
Obviously something changed in the 90’s and 00’s with all the legends we have from back then, but now the game has become so much quicker, players are faster, transitions are always more rapid, it’s almost a different sport.
I just wanted to say something about the Maradona goal. In that game some defenders look much worse than it seems, but just because they cannot breath properly. That game was played in a place with big altitude above sea level, and many players, rivals and teammates, were impressed because that did not seem to affect Maradona as much as the others.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Depends what you mean (of course).

Is it more difficult to stand out as a rock solid, "pure" defender these days - yes, clearly.

Because the game is moving in a no-contact direction, really.

And every little mistake (perceived or real) you make is highlighted in the extreme if you happen to play for a high-profile team.

On the one hand, you're expected to offer something beyond "pure" defending - on the other hand you're crucified for every little feck-up you're guilty of in the "pure" defending category.

Sylar

Defenders nowadays have to be good at tackling as well as reading the game , fast and good on the ball under pressure as well as not making many errors whilst being able to pick out a pass

This is why Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders I've ever seen and would easily slot into the game now

RashyForPM

Depends on a lot of factors. For example, style of play and the team the defender is playing for. Whether it’s a top team who’s inclined to play a proactive way like us, Bayern, Chelsea, Barcelona etc or even smaller clubs like Brighton who want to play out from the back, the CBs need to play through the lines along with defend, while the full backs need to basically act like wing backs. More difficult, I’m not sure, but there’s definitely more to do than lump the ball up and keep the shape, as it was two decades ago, which imo is a positive evolution.

If it’s a team like Burnley though, then it’s basically still the same. As aforementioned, keep the shape, full backs generally stay back, lump it up. For these teams who still play in this more basic way (no slight on them), then I don’t think being a defender there is harder in any way whatsoever.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Its more difficult to play as a defender now than it used to be
Before you can tackle from behind and anyhow you want, nowadays you cannot even touch a player, nowadays VAR scrutinize every move of a defender in the box
Now you play 40yards from goal and have to chase, In addition to defending you also have to be able to play and pass from the back

A lot of old school defenders will struggle with todays game

Some of the tackles Italian defenders got away with in the 90s will see them banned from football

UnrelatedPsuedo

Big Dunc will not be ragdolling anyone with VAR in the game. :lol:

He probably wouldn't even be a top striker.
He’d be a just below top tier striker in any generation. He was brilliant. And yes, he’d embarrass the current crop of lightweight centre half’s. He was far better than people give him credit for. That’s why I used him as an example.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
As as been mentioned it's the fullbacks you have to feel sorry for, having to defend and attack brilliantly to be described as a good fullback, but you never see a fullback command a huge salary/fee as they're "just a defender" where people think it's reasonable when Halaand wants a Mil a week - plus you never see them get a serious mention for top individual awards.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Its more difficult to play as a defender now than it used to be
Before you can tackle from behind and anyhow you want, nowadays you cannot even touch a player, nowadays VAR scrutinize every move of a defender in the box
Now you play 40yards from goal and have to chase, In addition to defending you also have to be able to play and pass from the back

A lot of old school defenders will struggle with todays game

Some of the tackles Italian defenders got away with in the 90s will see them banned from football
Pretty much this, plus modern offside rules.

thepolice123

He’d be a just below top tier striker in any generation. He was brilliant. And yes, he’d embarrass the current crop of lightweight centre half’s. He was far better than people give him credit for. That’s why I used him as an example.
For a striker who averaged less than a goal every 3 games, I really doubt he's embarrassing anybody. Also modern defenders are faster and stronger.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I just wanted to say something about the Maradona goal. In that game some defenders look much worse than it seems, but just because they cannot breath properly. That game was played in a place with big altitude above sea level, and many players, rivals and teammates, were impressed because that did not seem to affect Maradona as much as the others.
Good point, never crossed my mind regarding that scene.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
That's 1 defender.
We can go further back, H.-P. Briegel 70s/80s fullback and stopper.
I guess the average level of athleticism must have certainly risen over time, biggest difference is probably in endurance? At the same time I think there's a bit of hyperbole around the supposed lack of athleticism of older generations.

80s/90s footballers already seem very fit, see this all time great douchebag for example (not a defender, but still). The 90s produced defenders like Rio, Stam, Campbell, Thuram, and Nesta.

Last edited:

Wanderlust_09

I think a lot more is expected of defenders these days, like being good on the ball, and being involved in the buildup etc. So they are also likely to make huge mistakes, like getting caught out of possition, being exposed on the break etc. Also, attacks have evolved over time, now teams break down compact defences with quick passing triangles and positional play, unlike just cross and win headers.

But on the other hand, the art of defending has also changed, now many teams defend as a block from the front, with forwards pressing opponents CBs and MFs etc.
My conclusion is defending has more difficult than before, with defenders having to have an all-round game but at the same time scapegoated for mistakes they commit. Also, just going by the law of fractions, defending is always difficult - a world class striker can do with a shot conversion of 20-25%, but a defender has to have much higher duels won/tackles won/blocks.

Reactions: harms

macheda14

No if it's just strictly defending. But a ball playing defender is a different animal.
Although I wonder if strictly defending is a bit harder because say playing against a team like city you are just barraged by so many more players running at you, you go to cut off one passing lane and you suddenly have opened the door for two other players to be open. Or against Liverpool you make a tackle but they’ve compressed the space so much that they’re instantly back on the ball and you’re now out of position.

thepolice123

Can't agree with this. We ourselves have Lindelof and Maguire who are not elite athletes at all.
Based on? You don't think with technology, sports science, better knowledge of dieting, training system, higher demands, etc, it wouldn't make a difference? I think defenders or players in the past are more aggressive but its hard to make an argument that they are more athletic.

Last edited:

GueRed

This is why Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders I've ever seen and would easily slot into the game now
Easily.

World class defender. Most skillful centre-back I have ever seen..

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It's easier... In the 90s the attackers didn't really help defenders like now. You had to have a lot of 1 on 1 defending skills.

The only more difficult thing now is being faster so you can play in that high line and having to have more ball playing skills (which doesn't encompass defending)

UnrelatedPsuedo

For a striker who averaged less than a goal every 3 games, I really doubt he's embarrassing anybody. Also modern defenders are faster and stronger.
Modern day centre halves would not live with Duncan Ferguson, physically. If you didn’t watch him play regularly, you have no idea.