Is C.Ronaldo proving to be the greatest heel the sport has ever seen?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Cantona ? pity he didn't win UCL.
It's really a more recent thing when league titles count for nothing. Back when Cantona was our talisman in dominating the PL and knocking Liverpool off their perch the whole CL discussion didn't matter much. It's a more recent phenemon where winning the PL or La liga doesn't count towards greatness which is bollocks tbh.

leon24

I guess it’s his hunger to continue to want to perform at the highest level, even at 37/38 when he could have taken the easier and richer way out by accepting the Saudi offer. Not many players are still playing at 37/38 and for those playing many could have taken their last fat pay cheque worh the Saudi offer.

Why not post the question if he’s proving to be the most determined player to continue to perform at the highest level instead?

Bigfoot2

Cristiano Ronaldo has nowhere to go, the days of him dictating his moves are over. He knows this and it's probably killing him inside. I'd be amazed if ETH backs down on his clearly stated view that he is not for sale and how could the club not reinforce this. There are clear financial penalties regarding not turning up which could only benefit the club. If the club tried to do what he is attempting they would have to pay up his contract so why does he not offer to do the same. Maybe he has and the club have said no.
Without knowing the actual truth regarding who wants what, you could be forgiven for saying that he is the author of this little paperback so let's hope it doesn't sell.

TheLord

Many great players have frequently hopped from one club to another. Zlatan immediately comes to mind. Ronaldo Nazario played only a couple of seasons for Barca, a few years for Madrid, a few years for Inter and a couple of years for Milan. Supporters of respective clubs will hold some grudge against such players who go on to play for rival teams, but when players move around so much in their prime, people will be generally okay with such transfers.

C Ronaldo's case is clearly different. United propelled him towards greatness in the first six-year stint, and Madrid literally solidified his greatness in the 9-10 long years he played for them. That's a lot of time. And when that player is hell bent on joining City (which he would have if Pep had okayed the Juve-City deal) or even worse, Atletico Madrid, for absolutely no reason other than personal glory, it is cringeworthy.

Many other top players have done it before. Figo, Ashley Cole, Gonzalo Higuain, Carlos Tevez and so many others. But a GOAT-level player to do it in the twilight of his career for a few Champions League goals with udder disdain for the ordinary fanbase is absolutely cringeworthy.

All that said, I don't think Atletico will okay the deal anyway.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Many great players have frequently hopped from one club to another. Zlatan immediately comes to mind. Ronaldo Nazario played only a couple of seasons for Barca, a few years for Madrid, a few years for Inter and a couple of years for Milan. Supporters of respective clubs will hold some grudge against such players who go on to play for rival teams, but when players move around so much in their prime, people will be generally okay with such transfers.

C Ronaldo's case is clearly different. United propelled him towards greatness in the first six-year stint, and Madrid literally solidified his greatness in the 9-10 long years he played for them. That's a lot of time. And when that player is hell bent on joining City (which he would have if Pep had okayed the Juve-City deal) or even worse, Atletico Madrid, for absolutely no reason other than personal glory, it is cringeworthy.

Many other top players have done it before. Figo, Ashley Cole, Gonzalo Higuain, Carlos Tevez and so many others. But a GOAT-level player to do it in the twilight of his career for a few Champions League goals with udder disdain for the ordinary fanbase is absolutely cringeworthy.

He is staying unless he reduces his salary to like one third or less. Atlético already have problems with their current wage bill so they can't definitely pay Ronaldo's salary.
I have never seen a player who doesn't give sht for any of his former clubs. Most players at least try to keep a good relationship with one club.

Oranges038

Is he going to start squirting milk at them?

GinobiliTheGOAT

He’s never been likeable at all and always a difficult person to root for. His supporting cast never got enough credit and now his ego is staining his legacy in recent years.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Ignoring the overly exaggerated image by the media on C.Ronaldo, he is simply an extremely ambitious player who believes in pushing himself beyond the limits of what is the norm.
Surprisingly, he has a soft side which can be seen from his philantrophic contributions and many engagements with fans. He is also a very private person when it comes to family.

Ego in terms of wanting to be the best, yes. Ego in terms of wanting to have all attention on him, obviously no. People should know that a narcissist cannot function well with children, their partners or even their parents. Ronaldo is anything but that.

Coming to this topic, he is nowhere near a heel. He only loves Real Madrid, Manchester United and Sporting Lisbon with stronger ties to Real and Sporting. He will never join their arch rivals which are Barcelona, Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and Benfica. Its out of the question for him and those clubs. He has spent so much time riling up all these 4 clubs that only people who are blinded with hatred for him will believe that he will go to Barcelona, Liverpool, Atletico or Benfica.
Nice try, Cristiano.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
another question which great sports person retire at the peak of their career ?
The closest to spring to my mind would be Zidane in 2006 even he was physically on the decline.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

It's really a more recent thing when league titles count for nothing. Back when Cantona was our talisman in dominating the PL and knocking Liverpool off their perch the whole CL discussion didn't matter much. It's a more recent phenemon where winning the PL or La liga doesn't count towards greatness which is bollocks tbh.
Yeah, Maradona never won the European Cup/CL, neither did Ronaldo, but doesn't really matter, if you're great, you're great.

FattyFooty

He hasnt even played for a rival yet. Many has switch direct from rival to rival.

Do you people understand that footballers work right? Like if someone offered you a better job? You would take it? And its perfectly legal to look for it aswell.

They are not fan boys like you.. or me... Once in a while you get a player that is a fanboy. Like G.Neville. and thats great.

Just be glad he helped us win 3 league Titles and a CL. It was a contract a job for him, a entertainer for us.

Bobski

It would be cruel but tremendously funny if Utd sat him in the stand refusing to play him for one of the last years of his career.

RedDevil@84

The reactions to Ronaldo behaving like an ass is pretty similar to the reactions that were there on caf when Mourinho went full Mourinho. As if they expect these guys with big egos to suddenly turn over a new leaf because they are at United. At least no one asked Zlatan to become humble when he was here.

Bobski

The reactions to Ronaldo behaving like an ass is pretty similar to the reactions that were there on caf when Mourinho went full Mourinho. As if they expect these guys with big egos to suddenly turn over a new leaf because they are at United. At least no one asked Zlatan to become humble when he was here.
Agreed, like did anyone seriously expect Ronaldo to suddenly stop being a narcissistic icon. Ronnie cares about Ronnie and Ronnie's legacy. He and his more insane followers will probably still be trying to upstage Messi when he is scoring in Socceraid in a few years.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Michael Owen is up there. Golden boy of football, lauded by the press, adored by his loyal scouse fanbase. Balon D’Or winner and darling of the England team.

Ended up playing for Liverpool, Madrid, United, Newcastle and Stoke, and none of them remember him fondly.

Went to his boyhoods clubs biggest rivals to win a PL and stay relevant, refused to play for the biggest legend in Newcastles history to fight relegation and smashed children with footballs along the way.

Today, he is one of the most universally disliked pundits in the game.

Thats quite a fall.
Yeah Neville Southall loving this.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Michael Owen is up there. Golden boy of football, lauded by the press, adored by his loyal scouse fanbase. Balon D’Or winner and darling of the England team.

Ended up playing for Liverpool, Madrid, United, Newcastle and Stoke, and none of them remember him fondly.

Went to his boyhoods clubs biggest rivals to win a PL and stay relevant, refused to play for the biggest legend in Newcastles history to fight relegation and smashed children with footballs along the way.

Today, he is one of the most universally disliked pundits in the game.

Thats quite a fall.
Maybe it's just me but I have fond memories of Owen because of his winner against City. Although that might be because Tevez's face at the end made me laugh.

Green_Red

People really underestimate what he brings to a side. He isn't some insanely greedy forward that does nothing for the team. He did plenty last season in attempting to create chances for other players in the squad, they didn't take those chances and we are out of the CL.

If being in the CL means that much to him, off you feck.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Maybe it's just me but I have fond memories of Owen because of his winner against City. Although that might be because Tevez's face at the end made me laugh.
I do love that moment, I’ll admit. I always watch it back every so often. I just wonder if he realized at the time that he would never win back Liverpool supporters because of it.

KeanoMagicHat

He hasnt even played for a rival yet. Many has switch direct from rival to rival.

Do you people understand that footballers work right? Like if someone offered you a better job? You would take it? And its perfectly legal to look for it aswell.

They are not fan boys like you.. or me... Once in a while you get a player that is a fanboy. Like G.Neville. and thats great.

Just be glad he helped us win 3 league Titles and a CL. It was a contract a job for him, a entertainer for us.
Nobody has offered Ronaldo a better job. That’s the problem.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What was Ronaldo thinking when he joined us? That we’d be challenging for the league and reaching the latter stages of the Champion’s League? I’ve always found his decision to join United a very strange one. We’ve been in a long running slump. The addition of Varane and Sancho was never going to lift a team that was (at the time under Ole) steeped in mediocrity both in terms tactical nous and attitude.

Bigfoot2

A fish on a hook springs to mind. If there was no truth in the reports and he wanted to stay, he could easily have put it to bed. He has chosen to try and win a battle where his troops are not equal to the task and he is relying on a truce.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I do love that moment, I’ll admit. I always watch it back every so often. I just wonder if he realized at the time that he would never win back Liverpool supporters because of it.
That happened when he posed in a United shirt with that shit eating grin on his face at his unveiling.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What was Ronaldo thinking when he joined us? That we’d be challenging for the league and reaching the latter stages of the Champion’s League? I’ve always found his decision to join United a very strange one. We’ve been in a long running slump. The addition of Varane and Sancho was never going to lift a team that was (at the time under Ole) steeped in mediocrity both in terms tactical nous and attitude.
Yes, that's what I was wondering, too. My guess is that his wage demands and the apparent tactical issues he causes significantly reduces the number of interested clubs. And he was probably blinded a bit by the second place finish in the previous year.

Moreover, at this point he doesn't really seem to aim for another CL title (he wouldn't mind, obviously) but for the goal record. And he's worried Messi might take it from him. So playing for a club that has a reasonable chance to make it to the quarter finals or so seems absolutely fine, at the bare minimum even the participation is enough because he can improve his stats this way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everything is on here nowadays. We've learnt absolutely nothing new about Ronaldo this summer.
Honestly I'd prefer Ronaldo sold. But why does everything have be one of the most XXX ever

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Honestly I'd prefer Ronaldo sold. But why does everything have be one of the most XXX ever
I agree. Social media has ruined an entire generation of people.

Ronaldo has played this one horribly. If he stays its only because nobody else is willing to pay up for him, so what we are left with is an ego driven player having to come to terms with his declining appeal whilst also having to stay at a club where he might have burned his bridges

Bobski

It would be extremely expensive.
Yes, but to quote all the those in the transfer forums whenever Utd dare to negotiate, it is not your money so why care.

Sit him in the stands and just enjoy all the drama that flows from that. They will never do it of course, sponsors would flip but my goodness it would be entertaining.

Spoony

The People's President
I agree. Social media has ruined an entire generation of people.

Ronaldo has played this one horribly. If he stays its only because nobody else is willing to pay up for him, so what we are left with is an ego driven player having to come to terms with his declining appeal whilst also having to stay at a club where he might have burned his bridges

Was a very emotional transfer on our behalf. From a financial perspective we ought to have bought him two seasons ago.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Was a very emotional transfer on our behalf. From a financial perspective we ought to have bought him two seasons ago.
From a sporting perspective you should have never signed him at all. Wouldn’t have finished second with him two years ago. Should have spent the 500,000 a week elsewhere.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While it certainly would have been annoying and aggravating to have him play for City, I wouldn't have held it against him too much simply because they were the only real option for him to join (until we stepped in at the last moment). Now if he was actively joining them when he had other options that would have been a different story. It's not like he was joining Liverpool which would have been a lot worse.

Real would probably feel the same if he did join Atletico. It's not like they are Barca, so if Atletico had been the only top club interested in signing him I'm sure Real fans would have been annoyed but most would have understood.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Ego in terms of wanting to be the best, yes. Ego in terms of wanting to have all attention on him, obviously no. People should know that a narcissist cannot function well with children, their partners or even their parents. Ronaldo is anything but that.
From a random website:
"
The moment a narcissist genuinely cares for another human being, they open themselves up to the vulnerability they fight so hard to avoid.

For this reason, it’s unlikely that a narcissist could ever truly love their child.

Does that make them horrible monsters when it comes to parenting? Not always. Their need to project a perfect life means that they may treat their children well on a superficial level in order to make the claim that they are a good parent. "

If you truly believe that Ronaldo's parenting is akin to a parenting of a normal person, I have a bridge to sell you.
(by which I mean that he has staff that does all of the heavy lifting)

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

Didn't Borg refuse to use a modern racket in his comeback and went with his trusty wooden one against players using graphite rackets and got hammered in every match?

I do love the mythos around him and how at the age of 26, after losing to McEnroe he just walked out of the stadium, avoiding the interviews and going straight to the airport and never playing again.
Yes. And the truth is that you can't handicap yourself with inferior equipment. Rackets and racket string technology had evolved, and obstinately choosing to play with wooden rackets didn't make the task of coming back as an older man and trying to reclaim his position at the top of the sport.

I - like you - don't really count the 2nd stint when I think of Borg. I think of 11 slams by the age of 26 including several channel slams, before retiring.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
If this is making people dislike him, then they have not been paying attention to his antics throughout his whole career. Cristiano Ronaldo is in it for himself and his legacy (he has every right to do so, ultimately).

He forced a move out of Manchester United in 2009. He said he was sad and blighted Real Madrid's Champions League celebrations. He left Juventus under acrimonious circumstances. He now wants to leave Manchester United.