Is Casemiro Cooked?

Is Casemiro a washed up write off?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Always thought spending that about of money on a player of that age was a dumb move and yes we got a good 3 month spell out of him in his first season, but beyond that he has hardly played well enough to justify his place in the team.
He's looked unfit at times and even when he is fit most of time he has struggled to keep up with the pace of the premier league constantly making rash or late challenges.
He is only going to decline more so if we can get rid of him now, we 100% should.

Abraxas

Stick a fork in him. I just don't see it at this level anymore, the football is too intense for him, and he tries to play too many speculative passes for his ability.

Keep talking to those Saudi delegations I would say.

avgp_1

He can work in a system thats designed around protecting him but he isnt special enough on the ball for us to make that happen. Maybe if it was for someone like Busquets, yeah it makes sense but definitely not Casemiro.

Better to get whatever we can for him and move on.

Redstain

He's not cooked but Erik Ten Hag threw the midfield tactically under the bus last season with the spaces exposed between the midfield and defence.

Posted in multiple threads that from a defensive standpoint a prime Casmeiro and Kane would be incapable of providing cover. Erik single handedly was the sole contribution for the poor midfield, it's the worst set of tactical fluency I have seen of any manager post SAF it was diabolical.

Evidence of this is Amrabat, awful all season yet the last three games when the team reverted to the double pivot which resembled the shape of a 4-2-2-2 he looked a new signing totally different player. Casemiro was sublime last season in the same set of circumstances when partnering Eriksen.

He should be sold from an economic standpoint but it's far from a situation where a player could regress so drastically in a few months coincidentally when the manager employed a suicidal system all season.

wolvored

When RM sell a player its usually because he is on his sell by date or just past it. We should have avoided this like the plague. I dont think the new setup would have signed him, if they had ben in charge then. Verane was still ok playing wise, but injury prone at RM and if they were selling, we shouldn't have been buying.

humdinger

I think he still has it in him to be amazing. But not in the crazy system we played last season. So I think he still has a lot to offer but we should sell.

buckooo1978

like a car that scrapes through an MOT. it might get you from A to B but it costs a lot to run and its on its last legs.

If you arent going to be any use to us in 2 years, best to leave now

same applies to Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire etc

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he'd still do very well in a midfield set-up where he has to sit back and shield the back four. Eg: I think he'd shine in a midfield set up with a creative player & a b2b player in front of him.

If he is asked to play a role in a double pivot like he was asked to last season then it'd better if we sell him and get a younger, more aggressive player in.
Exactly how I feel.
The whole midfield setup was designed to fail since day one, prime Kante wouldn't be able to handle the volume of responsibilities in that role.
We saw the signs in his first season, just acted the wrong way to address this.

I think he's declining rapidly, we COULD make it another season with a proper energetic B2B midfielder partnering him, but with Mainoo being undroppable and Bruno sticking around, it ain't worth it and we need to get rid.

selsto

He's supposedly very professional and great to have around at training, but it's the kind of signing we shouldn't be doing, paying way too much for an old player destined to be on the descent not long after signing.

philippexyz

Casemiro should be sold and replaced, but that's easier said than done. He's running his contract down here(two more years), unless we manage to sell him to the Saudis. But, Casemiro doesn't seem to fancy that move, looks like he wants to still play competitive football.

Perhaps we can use him as a back up DM for a couple of years(albeit a very expensive one). On the bright side, I thought he looked leaner/fitter in the couple of Carrington training camp pictures I've seen the other day.

Speako

With a lack of leaders in the dressing room, I can imagine he's good to have around the place for experience and mentality, especially helping the likes of Mainoo. Unfortunately, he can't lead by example on the pitch anymore in his chosen position, and needs to be a back up option rather than first choice.

And it's a hell of a salary for a mentor role.

Borninthe80ts

He was amongst our top 5 players in his first season, so those acting like oracles saying he was a poor signing are being disingenuous for me. We needed leadership and experience. The fall of to last season in relation to performances was sharp and to me it was more than just age or even the formation.

He is a smart and tactically astute player who can play a role in the right system but being pragmatic if a decent offer does come in and we can upgrade then we probably should as others have said.

Be interesting to see his mindset in preseason, will he play like he wants to stay?

m1tch

In his first season we were a shambles without him when he kept getting suspended, last season was so disappointing. I really hope either last season was an anomaly or a Saudi club gives us an out.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He's not cooked but Erik Ten Hag threw the midfield tactically under the bus last season with the spaces exposed between the midfield and defence.

Posted in multiple threads that from a defensive standpoint a prime Casmeiro and Kane would be incapable of providing cover. Erik single handedly was the sole contribution for the poor midfield, it's the worst set of tactical fluency I have seen of any manager post SAF it was diabolical.

Evidence of this is Amrabat, awful all season yet the last three games when the team reverted to the double pivot which resembled the shape of a 4-2-2-2 he looked a new signing totally different player. Casemiro was sublime last season in the same set of circumstances when partnering Eriksen.

He should be sold from an economic standpoint but it's far from a situation where a player could regress so drastically in a few months coincidentally when the manager employed a suicidal system all season.
Agree with this. The fecking midfield tactics from ETH last season was an absolute shambles.

Dannn411

Yes Casemiro is absolutely cooked at the top level and its for one simple reason. He cannot pass a ball to save his life. Get rid ASAP.

Lentwood

At the highest level, yes. His lack of mobility is going to seriously hinder his ability to be an effective DM, even with his obvious qualities.

There's a reason RM sell these players you know...thousands, if not millions, of data points on their health and fitness...soon as they see the first signs of decline...they're off. That's why some (like Modric and Kroos) last into mid-30s at RM and others (like Casemiro and Varane) are sold on to mugs like us in their late 20s.

ole@thewheel

He would do a good job if deployed similarly how Rice is being used for England for example.

I still think he is better than Rice defensively and his passing and vision is still good enough for that role.