Is Casemiro the best holding midfielder of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd probably have Redondo and Makelele ahead of him, and that's just for Real.

Walters_19_MuFc

All time is probably pushing it, but I do think people tend to overrate players who have retired, and many would say he's not close, but he's been a major part of a
Real side for years now, who have won countless trophies.

It was actually his introduction - or certainly a big factor, as to why Madrid has been so successful in recent years. Having had Modric and Kroos, Casermiro was the missing piece to the jigsaw, which shows the importance of having such a competent player in that position.

I don't know where he'll go down in their hall of fame, and unfortunately, players in his position don't always get the credit they deserve, but he's certainly someone who, in years to come, will be spoken about in very high regard.

Red Stone

The top three are surely Makelele, Busquets and Casemiro, if we're counting only pure holding midfielders? Depending on how you weight their achievements any of them could be considered the best. It's not as outrageous a claim as some of you are making it out to be.

Kill3r7

No but has proved to be the perfect complimentary player to Kroos and Modric and together they are in the conversation for being the GOAT midfield.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
One level below Rijkaard and Matthaus.
One level above Makelele and Dunga.
Same tier as Busquets.

AdNani

Yes because count his CLs

The OP probably thought
No, certainly a factor, but taken into account hes been absolutely world class for years and years and a hugely important part of the most successful midfield of the last decade.

mshnsh

Out of current players,I think at his best, Kante us better than anyone in his position. As for Busquets, he is technically better than Kante and Casemiro but does not have the speed or physical presence of Casemiro or Kante.

Over the years, the likes of Redondo, Petit, Makelele and Dunga were pretty good. In general such players are difficult to compare due to invisible work meaning I honestly don't remember the specifics of their "goodness "

If Viera and Keane are considered holding mids than they are right up there.

Skills

Snitch
Btw Madrid must have incredible scouts in Brazil. They've got some great deals from there

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Lets see the definition :

"The holding midfielders “hold” their position in front of the defense and they defend their goal when their team does not have the ball.

However, the responsibility of the holding midfielder doesn’t stop here. A holding midfielder plays a role when their team has the ball too.

The holding midfielder usually transitions the ball from the defenders/goalkeeper to the other midfield players by making short and quick passes.
"

Casemiro is sharing the transition job with Kroos and Modric, he's actually not the main target to do it when Real Madrid is under pressure. So I'd say Casemiro's passing isn't significant enough to be considered an elite holding midfielder, let alore "the best holding midfielder of all time".

Buts it's only a matter of definition, Casemiro is obviously an elite player. As a pure holding midffielder I'd say Kimmich is better for exemple.

Status
Not open for further replies.