Is Casemiro the best holding midfielder of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's one the best in his generation, a club legend for Real Madrid as he was essential to give our team the correct balance in midfield. However I think people would rate Busquets higher but they're not quite the same so Casemiro brings other attributes to his role.

SambaBoy

Without having watched him extensively.

Is he press-resistant? Was he the one who got the ball of the Madrid CB's or would Kroos/Modric come deeper and get it? Or did the Madrid CB's just drive up the middle?

Seems the way ETH wants to play is for the no6 to pick up the ball from the GK, CBs in deep areas and start attacks from there which I'm not sure Casimero is suited too'? On the attacking transitions, I'd imagine he'll be an immense benefit in terms of breaking up play and feeding the wingers/Eriksen/Bruno. Too many times, players wander in behind Fred/McTominay and we are left running back towards goal. It's infuriating how many times it happens, yet neither of them make a clever foul and the opposition team end up with a good chance on goal or score.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I wonder how that 2018 game against Belgium would have gone had he been able to play. He was having a really good tournament, then the consistently sloppy and reckless for the NT Fernandinho comes in as replacement and has one of his usual stinkers.

NoPace

He sort of reminds me of Vidic if we’re talking about their overall level. Great defensively and a winner. Some flaws that put him in the 2nd tier among the greats but also a great teammate who makes his more skilled partners better but there are styles they might be 3rd tier playing with Vidic in a high line in a league where they cross less and Casemiro in a tiki taka system.

This will probably annoy someone but Bergkamp seems like sort of the striker version of this level of player.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Even though he won’t be in the lineup against us Monday united will now be a rejuvinated side. Terrible timing.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still no.

Busquets from his generation is better than him at their best quite clearly too.

Idxomer

Yeah, I don't rate him anywhere near that high but he was the perfect foil for Kroos and Modric.

Son

Busquets has easily been the finest I’ve ever seen at CDM. Not the best tackler but his ability on the ball is second to none ever in the position.

Chief123

He’s never been the best CDM of all time. Even at Madrid. I’d take prime Kante or Makelele any day.

AdNani

This thread is my greatest achievement on this forum. What a player he is.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No more. He is now the second best DM of all time

Ludens the Red

Nah, he’s 30 and therefore old, shit and finished. Also too slow and fat and will not be able to keep up with the pace of the Pl. And he will also not be an upgrade on superstar holding midfield player Scott Mctominay who is very difficult to replace due to his many outstanding number six attributes.

DevilRed

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good he is on the ball. Nobody ever told us he could play such exquisite passes.

FujiVice

Probably true but a fit Kante totally dominated the Madrid midfield 2 seasons back. In both legs. Shame he will never be the same.
One has 5 Champions Leagues. The other has 1 CL, a Premier League win with Leicester and a World Cup. I dont want to be the one sticking my neck out which achieved more. Two record breakers.

ManUnitedCanuck

His first few games, I didn't like how he was getting caught on the ball and giving up possession a bit too easily.

Past couple of matches, man, can really see the quality in the man. Pinging balls across the pitch, breaking up attacks, pushing forward at certain times.

Then he hit that sweet strike with his left foot today...consider me impressed!

Tyrion

Nah, he’s 30 and therefore old, shit and finished. Also too slow and fat and will not be able to keep up with the pace of the Pl. And he will also not be an upgrade on superstar holding midfield player Scott Mctominay who is very difficult to replace due to his many outstanding number six attributes.
Very true. Only tall players can deal with the Physicality Of The Premier League (TM). In Europe, everyone is slow and short but in The Premier League everyone must be 6'4 and faster than Bolt. Sky told me so.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Funny because one month ago people called him slow and that we got done by RM.

Scientist

Supports
Guarani
According to this definition the prototypes would be Makelele & Mascherano. Contribute nothing on offense, can't dribble, can't pass but super good defensively. Recover ball and make simple pass to pass it to the other mids.

People are giving examples of far more creative mids. For example, one person mentioned Vidal! In what world is he a holding mid? He was a box-to-box mid.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good he is on the ball. Nobody ever told us he could play such exquisite passes.
Them fightan words :mad:
Probably true but a fit Kante totally dominated the Madrid midfield 2 seasons back. In both legs. Shame he will never be the same.
A fit Kante totally dominated an unfit Madrid midfield

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Why didn't Madrid want him anymore?
- Manchester United paid 80m.
- The player wanted to leave and the club accepted his will as a gesture of appreciation for his contribution over the years.
- Tchouameni, who is excellent himself, was signed.

In short, it was a win-win agreement for all three parties.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was obvious it had a lot to do with fitness. He was looking a lot slower than he did in June.
He's up to speed now and it's beautiful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.