Is Chelsea still considered a sugar daddy club?

DoomSlayer

I would have thought that in this age of information, one would know the difference between nicknames, abbreviations and textspeak.

The segment excerpted in your post only covered textspeak (also known as SMS language), without referencing the former.
It's like the people who write "Athletico Madrid", I'm sure @Ban can back me up here. :lol:

Handré1990

Anyone that gets weird about financial injections is a little off.

United were exceptionally lucky to win the inaugural PL at a point that they had one of the best managers of all time. Masses of hard work and good decisions beyond that. But luck and circumstance played a part and it’s unfair to ignore that.

Funding sources is a valid point. I couldn’t follow United if Saudi Arabia bought them, and then the best 11 in world football. I’d watch them. But I would be removed from their inevitable success.

City are slightly more defendable than a Saudi takeover. Chelsea are slightly more defendable than an Abu Dhabi one.

The fact remains that cash injections are good for the PL. I don’t believe that the ends always justify the means. Chelsea are the most successful English side since Abramovich opened his wallet. But future success is certainly less tainted if they receive less financial doping in the next 20 years and thrive.

Its tough. It’s not binary. Their past success was a wee bit tainted. But future success doesn’t get a huge asterix put next to it. For me at least.
Just have to ask, how’d you reach that conclusion?

UncleBob

The club have operated within FFP rules since they were introduced so the simple answer is no, they shouldn't be.

Its true to say they have made money from player sales but this has only happened by buying younger talent, getting the best out of that talent and then selling on. (Mata, Matic, Hazard etc) This hasn't worked with every player they have bought but enough to tip the balance into the positive. (It could be argued that Utd is the new sugar daddy) This demonstrates a sound transfer and procurement policy for which the club should be congratulated. The club have also increased revenue by being successful on the pitch.

The club is now entering a new stage where the significant investment in the Academy is finally paying off and the value of the young talent coming through can be counted in the 100's of millions. Loftus Cheek £60m? Christensen £40m Hudson Odoi £80m? Mount £50m? Tomori £30m? James £30m? If you add in the value of Ampadu, Pulisic and a few others you have a solid asset that will only increase in value. I think what we are now seeing is the Board, without Abramovich in the country, reaping the benefit of years of sound management and investment in a strong youth policy that could set the club up for years to come.

It could even be a good time for a buyer to come in and invest even more into club. ( The stadium needs to be taken to another level)
:lol::lol:

Priceless.

Since your Russian prince arrived, you've spent roughly £1580mill on transfer fees, that's almost £400mill more than Manchester united, though you're around £35mill behind City at 1st place..The amount of years, and £, it took to get Chelsea floating, feck me sideways if we're going to pretend that you're success and overall situation isn't a direct result of your sugar daddy

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
:lol::lol:

Priceless.

Since your Russian prince arrived, you've spent roughly £1580mill on transfer fees, that's almost £400mill more than Manchester united, though you're around £35mill behind City at 1st place..The amount of years, and £, it took to get Chelsea floating, feck me sideways if we're going to pretend that you're success and overall situation isn't a direct result of your sugar daddy
Before I comment on what was wrong with those numbers can you please mention a source on that?

Vitali

It's like the people who write "Athletico Madrid", I'm sure @Ban can back me up here. :lol:
I very rarely see anyone refer to Barcelona as that, but rather "Barca", what must be around 90% of the time. Nobody seems to moan about that. Same with Juventus.

Josep Dowling

Really? Apart from January 2011 we haven't really spent big (net) in relation to the market value since the mid 00's, even the Costa/Fabregas summer were funded by sales.
18/19

Kepa - £72m
Pulisic - £57m
Jorginho -£52m
Total spent on those 3: £181m

Total Sales £62m

17/18

Total spent: £234m including Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, Zapata, Emerson, Giroud & Barkley (referring to my quantity not quality comment - crazy money spent on mediocre players)

Total sales: £180m

Prior to that I’m sure there are seasons where net spend is high.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
18/19

Kepa - £72m
Pulisic - £57m
Jorginho -£52m
Total spent on those 3: £181m

Total Sales £62m

17/18

Total spent: £234m including Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, Zapata, Emerson, Giroud & Barkley (referring to my quantity not quality comment - crazy money spent on mediocre players)

Total sales: £180m

Prior to that I’m sure there are seasons where net spend is high.
Prior to that...

16/17
Spent £119m
Sold £97M
Net £22M

15/16
Spent £81M
Sold £78M
Net £3m

14/15
Spent £123m
Sold £130m
Net -£7m.

*Figures from Transfermarkt*

If you want to keep on going back, before FFP really kicked in, then the spending does go back up of course.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
This is the 16th season since RA arrived at Chelsea.

As things stand in those 16 seasons Man Us nett spend appears to have been greater than Chelsea in 9 of those seasons.

As for RA he has injected around £1.2 billion that includes the original purchase cost and of course significant sums on transfers but and here’s the big but conservative estimates are that Chelsea is now valued at around £2-2.5 billion and of course he owns100% of the shares in CFC so it looks like if he were to sell then he would see a healthy return.

RA isn’t like the benefactor of the past in that rarely did the likes of the Moore’s family see any growth or any sort of return from their financial donations

So is he a Sugar Daddy or an investor?

bdecuc

Yes of course they're a sugar daddy club. I guess it's all a matter of time and perspective and if you're looking for fairness and equal opportunity in the world of football finances then you're looking in the wrong place. But Chelsea's rise from basically irrelevance to the top of the league due to a sugar daddy is way too recent to be forgotten yet. Still too many people remember Chelsea before their sudden wealth injection.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Tomorrow if a club like Newcastle is bought by rich American/Thai/Japanese owners and they aspire to be on par with top English clubs, what in the world are their options?

A model where you inject enough cash at start for the club to go on and become self sufficient down the line seems best option no?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
This is the 16th season since RA arrived at Chelsea.

As things stand in those 16 seasons Man Us nett spend appears to have been greater than Chelsea in 9 of those seasons.

As for RA he has injected around £1.2 billion that includes the original purchase cost and of course significant sums on transfers but and here’s the big but conservative estimates are that Chelsea is now valued at around £2-2.5 billion and of course he owns100% of the shares in CFC so it looks like if he were to sell then he would see a healthy return.

RA isn’t like the benefactor of the past in that rarely did the likes of the Moore’s family see any growth or any sort of return from their financial donations

So is he a Sugar Daddy or an investor?
@DoomSlayer

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Of course they are, they are still benefiting from all that sugar today, they were able to stockpile players to prevent other clubs getting them(across all age groups) like no other club has ever done before and because of the rules now ever will, sent most out on loan to learn their trade, and made millions from sales of players they couldn't use at the time or who were too impatient for first-team football(De Bruyne, Salah et al), rinse repeat.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think the bar of sugar daddying has been raised somewhat by City. Who have spent more than a small countries GDP over the last 5 years.

TheLord

Chelsea are the third biggest brand in English football at the moment. London based - that helps.

They have a solid structure in place, and will reap the benefits of investment in youth for years to come. This year has been extraordinary for them. I don't know if the young players can hold on for one full season, but if they do, they have an incredible base to build on for the next several years.

Every club needs a luck or two to become big. For Chelsea, it was Abramovich in the 2000s. Yes, people were vitriolic about it, but they've not broken the rules with FFP like City or PSG have. Your owner has the money, so you spend it. How many people would have complained if Abramovich bought United instead of Chelsea and then went on to spend far more than United's revenues? If someone does a net profit/loss stats of all Premier League clubs in the last 15 years, Chelsea wouldn't fare too badly compared with others.

They are no longer plastic to me, but a top club with the potential for self-sustenance. I don't know how many other Premier League clubs can claim of self-sustenance while being a regular in Champions League football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
5 Premier League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 2 EL Cups and 1 CL title since Abramovich took over. I'm not sure any other club has won more in that period but for sure they aren't the only club to have had a significant investment and I would suggest that is why they haven't dominated as much as first thought. Still they have done extremely well.
It's nonsense to say the trophies have dried up since the money stopped because they have been complying with FFP rules and still won a number of PL titles.
It's good you recognise they are relevant but lets face it they were a club before Abramovich and they currently are 4th in the league without signing anybody in the last transfer window. They have a whole bunch of young players from the academy that every other PL club would kill for and they have a young English manager who is trying to play them. This is how a football club should be run.
They are far from being a so called sugar daddy club.
1 league title in 100 years before a Russian billionaire took over and then 5 in 14 years. As I said, definition of a sugar daddy club.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
1 league title in 100 years before a Russian billionaire took over and then 5 in 14 years. As I said, definition of a sugar daddy club.
Everyone starts somewhere, success doesn't come like a magical creature just by chance. Success is the outcome of hard work, investment and planning.

I'm sure you understand you can't have a golden generation of academy players if you don't build the right infrastructure for them. What I really like about this group of players is their mentality, you can see they had a good education with good principles at the core of their development.

Chelsea was making a lot of progress even before the Abramovich investment, and that progress was fundamental to be able to land arguably the best "owner" in football. And if he ever sells he will most likely double his investment.

P.S. If only money counts towards success, you wouldn't be struggling for the past 6 years.

arthurka

This. Of course they are, when Abramovich came they were even more out of anybodies reach than City and PSG are today. Having gotten more than 1bn from their owner and not having a bother in the world to pay it back.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
We finished 4th the season before Abramovich bought us and had been in the champions league a few seasons previous. We'd also recently won the FA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup.

Of course without his investment we wouldn't have gone that final yard to becoming champions but to say we were in mid table obscurity just seems absurd. Yes RA invested huge sums of money, but that has happened countless times accross europe. Yes we are benefiting from that now still to some degree, but i challenge you to find a club that doesn't owe their success to investment at some stage.

The club is now fully self sustaining and has been for a long time, we have a world class youth academy and 5 year net spend is miniscule compared to others.

In summary, yes we were a 'sugar daddy' reliant club, that is no longer the case

Offside

Everyone starts somewhere, success doesn't come like a magical creature just by chance. Success is the outcome of hard work, investment and planning.

I'm sure you understand you can't have a golden generation of academy players if you don't build the right infrastructure for them. What I really like about this group of players is their mentality, you can see they had a good education with good principles at the core of their development.

Chelsea was making a lot of progress even before the Abramovich investment, and that progress was fundamental to be able to land arguably the best "owner" in football. And if he ever sells he will most likely double his investment.

P.S. If only money counts towards success, you wouldn't be struggling for the past 6 years.
United's success came from a magical creature by chance. Chelsea were making "good progress" may be true but if it wasn't for Roman's billions you'd have less league titles than Sheffield Wednesday. The fact that the spending slowed from the first few years is the reason their dominance of the league that was evident in his first few years there went.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
United's success came from a magical creature by chance.
"In January 1902, with debts of £2,670 – equivalent to £280,000 in 2019[nb 1] – the club was served with a winding-up order.[19] Captain Harry Stafford found four local businessmen, including John Henry Davies (who became club president), each willing to invest £500 in return for a direct interest in running the club and who subsequently changed the name;[20] on 24 April 1902, Manchester United was officially born."

Your whole history (not just success) as Manchester United is thanks to four wealthy businessmen saving your arse.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
"Sugar daddy club" is a very childish way of viewing capitalism applied to a football club.

Some clubs like Tottenham and Chelsea for example are owned by very rich individuals (Levy and Abramovitch can not be sacked)
Some clubs like Manchester United are owned by very rich companies (Ed can be sacked)
Some clubs like PSG and City are owned by very rich states.

All the most performing clubs in Europe are based in rich and large cities: Paris/Lyon/Marseille are the 3 biggest cities in France, several clubs based in London/Milan/Madrid, Munchen/Barcelona/Torino are dynamic or established cities at the economic level, etc. Big cities means big stadiums, more sponsors, more revenues, a stronger fan base etc.

From an investment standpoint, the only difference - in 2019 - is between PSG/City that have unlimited funds and the others.

We finished 4th the season before Abramovich bought us and had been in the champions league a few seasons previous. We'd also recently won the FA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup.

Of course without his investment we wouldn't have gone that final yard to becoming champions but to say we were in mid table obscurity just seems absurd. Yes RA invested huge sums of money, but that has happened countless times accross europe. Yes we are benefiting from that now still to some degree, but i challenge you to find a club that doesn't owe their success to investment at some stage.

The club is now fully self sustaining and has been for a long time, we have a world class youth academy and 5 year net spend is miniscule compared to others.

In summary, yes we were a 'sugar daddy' reliant club, that is no longer the case
I fully agree

Offside

"In January 1902, with debts of £2,670 – equivalent to £280,000 in 2019[nb 1] – the club was served with a winding-up order.[19] Captain Harry Stafford found four local businessmen, including John Henry Davies (who became club president), each willing to invest £500 in return for a direct interest in running the club and who subsequently changed the name;[20] on 24 April 1902, Manchester United was officially born."

Your whole history (not just success) as Manchester United is thanks to four wealthy businessmen saving your arse.
:lol:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Chelsea's league position for the 10 years preceding Abramovich:
14, 11, 11, 6, 4, 3, 5, 6, 6, 4.

Everton's last 10 seasons:
8, 7, 7, 6, 5, 11, 11, 7, 8, 8.

Hardly night and day, is it?
It doesn't have to be. Chelsea were better than Everton are and you haven't included Chelsea's trophies so I would say its nearly night and day anyway.

Supports
Chelsea
Every time it seems like we are on the verge of becoming irrelevant/fading away we bounce back and surprise people. This winds people up. Stuff like this 'but remember when' is brought up as a coping mechanism to feel better about their own teams shortcomings.

The club was saved by Roman and our success is down to him, but the model of spending has changed quite a bit from around 2015 onward. There a plenty of other PL clubs bankrolled by Billionaires trying to spend their way up the table, but the timing & already established clubs prevent them from doing anything. No different to clubs in the 20th century breaking British transfer records left & right despite not having much success.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Sounds like somebodies got an axe to grind.

At what point does that label become inappropriate or does it just stick forever?