Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

TheLord

Yes, he is.
But he's a much bigger Real Madrid legend.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Six years, won everything there was to win including Ballon d'Or. Yes.

bsCallout

Yes.

I sometimes think other players would have benefitted from leaving the club sooner than they did and going abroad. They'd be viewed more favourably. By opposing fans too(or England fans).

Rio & Rooney are two that come to mind instantly.

prateik

Has been done before..
Yes.. of course he is.

Best player I have seen play for United... comfortably.
And its not like he was here for 1 season.. 6 seasons.. won a lot.. Won the Ballon d'Or. Won the CL.. Scored over 40 goals/season 2 seasons running. Has the record for the most league goals scored by us in a season..

If he isnt a club legend, the bar must be really fecking high.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This thread has already been done. No, he isn't, a legend don't push for a move before he even hit his prime to join a lesser team.

JPRouve

Scout
Real Madrid, a lesser team! For someone from Portugal! :eek:
I didn't say club, I said team. In 2009 United were at worst the second best team in the world, while Madrid couldn't qualify for the CL QF.

el3mel

Thought we had discussed this millions of times. Hardly an innovative discussion idea if you asked me.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Course he is, people are allowed to move on and still be a legend. Won everything with us and moved onto his next chapter.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
The Sporting renaming their academy to honor his name got me thinking, is he considered United Legend?

Poll would be appreciated
If he isn't, then I don't know who is. He won everything imaginable with us.

JPRouve

Scout
If he isn't, then I don't know who is. He won everything imaginable with us.
I'm sure that you do. Players thave have won everything, spend their prime at the club and didn't indirectly refer themselves as slaves when the club wasn't interested in selling him. One could think about Sir Bobby Charlton for example.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just because he went on to achieve more success at another club doesn't take away from what he did here. Of course he's a United legend.

We can't call guys like Phil Neville and Darren Fletcher club legends, yet exclude Ronaldo. It's just nonsensical. I have him on the same level as Cantona.

Gonçalo Motta

He is but he is a bigger RM legend. The guy gave 6y to united, won everything and was considered the best player in the world while he was a Man Utd player. He did push for a move to RM but that doesn't change everything he achieved here

United Junkie

I'm sure that you do. Players thave have won everything, spend their prime at the club and didn't indirectly refer themselves as slaves when the club wasn't interested in selling him. One could think about Sir Bobby Charlton for example.
Come on now, it was Blatter saying it. Ronaldo agreed with it. Maybe there was a communication and translation error but he didn't use those word(s).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He played like 6 years out of his -/+ 20 years career, shone for us only on his last 3 season. His 42 goals a season was his pinnacle with us, apparently it's just a start of many similar feat

So no, if he's not that Godly Good, I don't think we'd call him a legend on merit alone.

Nobody mentioned RvN as legend, stat wise he banged more goals then CR7 for us.

So yeah, I think him being so godly is the reason why he's included as our legend.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
A great player, no doubt. But no, he's not a United legend.

Irwin99

Yes. Jaap Stam was only here for three years but was a pivotal part of our greatest ever team, same with Dwight Yorke. Ronnie was here for 6 years, 2 of which he was putting in almost unprecedented performances/goal+assist numbers.

Also, you can be a legend for multiple clubs.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Broke George Best's record.

This is not something that should be taken lightly, imo.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Fantastic player but not legend in my eyes. Anyone who wants to leave the club when they're just reaching their peak deserves thanks for what they helped us achieve but little more.

RUCK4444

Yes. We created an absolute force of nature who went on to dominate the game and become one of the most prolific and effective players to ever grace the game.

He also won everything here including a Ballon Do’r before he left, no question he’s a legend imo.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Absolute legend. Second best player to ever play for the club and won almost every major honour possible. Certainly the most prestigious.

United Junkie

People! He was a rightwinger who scored 118 goals in 290 appearances! He was rightfully granted the title of best player of the world! My god we got 3 Prem titles and a CL out of him. He did equal or even better then some of the players who we consider legends. People are using his openly pursuit to Madrid against him which is insane. We got 80 million out of him and again a lot of thropies in his time with us. Top 3 United player of all time!

So yes, he is a United legend for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yes. Jaap Stam was only here for three years but was a pivotal part of our greatest ever team, same with Dwight Yorke. Ronnie was here for 6 years, 2 of which he was putting in almost unprecedented performances/goal+assist numbers.

Also, you can be a legend for multiple clubs.
None of them are United Legend though.

Dozer

He played like 6 years out of his -/+ 20 years career, shone for us only on his last 3 season. His 42 goals a season was his pinnacle with us, apparently it's just a start of many similar feat

So no, if he's not that Godly Good, I don't think we'd call him a legend on merit alone.

So yeah, I think him being so godly is the reason why he's included as our legend.
Nonsense. In a very good side, CR7 was the difference-maker that made us win the Champions League (penalty miss aside). With him in the team we just felt unbeatable. The same cannot be said of Ruud.

Even in his first 3 years it was clear Ronaldo had a magic about him. I used to laugh when my Dad would refer to him as "Mr No End Product" and would always reply with "Just you wait and see" - by 2006 he'd quietened down on that front. Ruud was a goalscoring machine but didn't have that same all round ability, and when he went to Madrid nobody thought "we're losing a legend". Despite his goals it had been felt for a couple of years that we weren't getting the best out of the team while he was in it.

CR7's transformation from a skinny showboating teenager to near-freak-of-nature physical behemoth also occurred while he was here. Yes he continued that at Real Madrid but there was never any doubt we were watching a player who was the best in the world, and would keep that consistency to be one of the best players of all time.

I considered him a legend when he left in 2009, still do now, and will do as long as I'm still breathing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If it wasnt for him then we could be one CL less.

For that he is important and for that he is a legend.

L3G4CY15

My head says yes and my heart says no. I guess I’d have to go with my head on this one for the same reasons people have already mentioned. But I can certainly understand how some can say no.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Has been done before..
Yes.. of course he is.

Best player I have seen play for United... comfortably.
And its not like he was here for 1 season.. 6 seasons.. won a lot.. Won the Ballon d'Or. Won the CL.. Scored over 40 goals/season 2 seasons running. Has the record for the most league goals scored by us in a season..

If he isnt a club legend, the bar must be really fecking high.
Not to be pedantic but no he never. His 3 highest scoring seasons in all competitions for the club were
2006/07 23 goals,
2007/08 42 goals,
2008/09 26 goals.

But yes of course he is a club legend, how can he not be. It is just a shame he is a bigger Real Madrid legend and used United as a stepping stone for his personal ambitions.

Last edited:

OL29

I never understood this argument, you could say the same thing about Cantona but no one would object to him being called a legend.