Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
No. He was never a United legend imo because he left United to spend his prime years at Real Madrid. His second stint at the club highlights it even more for me.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No. He was never a United legend imo because he left United to spend his prime years at Real Madrid. His second stint at the club highlights it even more for me.
He never was and now, never will be

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can understand preferring one legend over another but can't see how Giggs is not a Utd legend. I have seen over the past few years on here that his legendary status has been attributed to his longevity. People seem to overlook he was an absolutely fantastic player. The things he could while running full pelt with the ball in the 90s and then is his last few years the way he evolved into a more central role and the number of exquisite balls he would play. There is no one I would rather have the ball at his feet in and around the box in the last minutes of a game if we needed a goal than him, because you just knew he would create a chance with his wand of a left foot.

Not having a go at you mate and fair enough if you don't rate him but I struggle to see how he can't be a legend.
I rate him (not as highly as the fella on the other wing). He was great and I agree about how he changed and went on. Just not a legend for me. This probably isn't a fair point becuase it's with hindsight, but we never hear him talking about United since he left. The likes of Robbo, Rio, Becks, Keano, Gary Neville and Peter S, even Sharpey, (not all legends, maybe) still talk fondly about us

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You have Ole as a legend but not Giggs? There is no objective metric in which Ole is ahead though. Giggs didn't just play many games for us for fecks sake . The man was a key part of ten plus titles, a treble and transitioned all the way from electric young winger to classy center midfielder. If giggs isn't a legend then the word loses all meaning . Might as well say Sir Bobby isn't a legend.
As I said, it's purely personal. Ole is a legend to me because he came from nowhere, was hardly expected to be more than a bit-part player and turned into one of the most natural goal-scorers we've ever had.

And as I said, if I had to choose between the Law Man and Bobby Charlton, it would be very very close. Surely the status of legendary can only be subjective. there are no rules...

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I rate him (not as highly as the fella on the other wing). He was great and I agree about how he changed and went on. Just not a legend for me. This probably isn't a fair point becuase it's with hindsight, but we never hear him talking about United since he left. The likes of Robbo, Rio, Becks, Keano, Gary Neville and Peter S, even Sharpey, (not all legends, maybe) still talk fondly about us
Well he often spoke of us when he was on as pundit for a couple of years for Premier League studios. I guess he's been elsewhere occupied last couple of years to be speaking of his love for Utd. :nervous:

michaelfernandes387

Of course, he is a legend! Maybe a different kind who worked like crazy, was so driven to win and actually won everything there is!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Nope, the legend status is thrown around to easily.
This. I don't know how oppo fans think about their legends but for United fans, every player who played few years for a club (and won something with it) is a legend. We have 100+ club legends

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would love to understand logic how the feck a player, who spent half of his time in this club by requesting to leave and who insulted this club TWICE (first time by slave comments and second time by this interview), can be labelled as a legend?

el3mel

What an end for a supposed "legend". Basically got his contract terminated.

May this discussion rest in peace now.

Great player for United but never a legend for the club.

mctrials23

Not even close even if this spell wasn't a disaster. You don't become a club legend by using us as a stopgap until you get a move to RM and you certainly don't become one by behaving like he has since he returned. Absolute knob and glad to see the back of him.

Huddsred

He's a football legend, not a United legend.

Cantona, Rooney, Robson, Scholes. These are United legends.

Reactions: Rood

Red Rash

He's a football legend, not a United legend.

Cantona, Rooney, Robson, Scholes. These are United legends.
Yea was going to say similar. Probably tarnished his chances of being a United legend in the last few months with his attitude.

Still was a great player in his first spell and was good last season for us.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Here's the 'United legend' :lol:

Irwin99

It does have to be said we've had some pretty brutal and ugly departures for some huge players over the years. I can safely say this is one where i don't feel much sympathy for the 'legend' in question though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Usually think it's a ridiculously dramatic when people go on about players tarnishing their legacy by forcing an exit or wanting to leave.

In this case though he absolutely has. In 5-10 years time the Ronaldo I'll remember is the one who made a complete moron of himself in a TV interview and thought it was OK to personally insult former/current players, managers, team mates, etc. because his ego got a bit hurt.

Also club legends can generally become ambassadors for the club or turn up and be treated like royalty. If Ronaldo turned up at Old Trafford at any point in the future, they wouldn't even let him in, and he probably wouldn't want to linger outside very long either unless he liked the idea of a bunch of drunk fans chucking him in the canal.

He could easily have got his exit in January without behaving like the world's biggest bellend, which leads Mr to conclude that the principle reason for acting like the world's biggest bellend, was due to in fact being the world's biggest bellend.

Djemba-Djemba

He first tried to leave in 06, then in 08 then did leave in 09. After he came back he tried to leave in the summer of 22, and then did leave at the end of the year.

For a lot of the time he was at Utd he was trying to leave.

He's one of the greatest players of all time, and his 2007/2008 season is as good as any Utd player has ever had.

He's not a Utd legend though, you can't force a transfer and spend the best years of your career elsewhere, then when you do return behave in the way he has this season and still get to be seen as a legend of the club.

Mas Risky

Yes, he is. Unlikeable one, but still a legend.
We are still in a period of anger, but ten or twenty years from now all will be forgotten.

justsomebloke

Not a club legend to me. What he did this year goes way beyond other acrimonious partings in the past (Keane, RvN etc). It's one thing to fall out with SAF (I believe most people probably would, over time). With Ronaldo, it's a level of ego-fuelled blindness and total disregard for the club, teammates and any notion of professionalism that puts him beyond the pale, as far as I'm concerned.

Mayhem

What Ronaldo needs to do at some point is publicly apologise to Ten Hag.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Giggs has to be a legend, one club man, played for around 20 years, captained, coached, managed, assists, goals, won all the club trophies and individual trophies. As a player you can’t get any more legendary than that

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes, he is. Unlikeable one, but still a legend.
We are still in a period of anger, but ten or twenty years from now all will be forgotten.
How is he a legend though? A handful of great seasons for United? He’s a madrid legend not a United one

NoLogo

Exactly this, if giving a club two great seasons is enough to become a United legend, I think I might have a very different definition of what is needed to become a United legend.

BorisManUtd

To some extent, he's United legend/great. But not in the level of Charlton/Scholes etc... He's definitely Real Madrid and football's legend.

svn

If he turns up somewhere and starts banging goals in, then in years to come it will look like he was right, and the club were just shit. I don't think he will, though.

Foxbatt

So Rooneys not a legend then
Rooney spent his best years at United. He didn't publicly slate SAF. Privately he asked for a transfer. He apologised for it too.
He is our top scorer too.
Ronaldo didn't spend his best years at United. He didn't play for United over a long period of time. He is a legend in football for sure but he is a Real Madrid legend.

Scottynaldinho

Against:

1. Shat on the club in public and how we won't win anything
  2. Walked out on the club during a game where we're winning
  3. Refused to come on as a sub
  4. Said he doesn't respect the manager
  5. We were forced to play a style contrary to what was demanded by the manager because of him
  6. Did somewhat similar the first time around with the slave comment
  7. Flirted with City

For:

1. Didn't sit out the remainder of his contract to collect 500k a week. Opted out instead even at this age, respect for that(Nah, narcissist inside him doesn't allow).
  2. Loves Sir Alex
  3. Contribution in that CL winning campaign

Mike Smalling

Can we finally put this to bed? Legends want to play for the club in their prime, and don't shit on the club and the manager.

These Ronaldo ***** are doing my head in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't see anything wrong here. See the watchface. It's just Ronaldo jumping to head the ball.
Of the countless iconic goals that Ronaldo has scored, it's the one against us he chose to model his watch?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
History might say his recent shenanigans were the straw that broke the Glazer's back. Who knows what comes after them? TBD but it's trending positively.