Is Daniel James set to become our best signing since RVP?

Mainoldo

Di Maria was also very expensive, evidently came just for money, and didn’t want to be here.

None of which seem true about Dan James.
He’s a Liverpool fan. He probably rather be at Anfield but we pay good money.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Actually he didn't. He had a couple of games where he was superb - but in terms of goals and assists, James is almost at the level DiMaria was for the entire season
Di Maria had 3 goals and 4 assists in his first 7 games (counting the 26.10.2014 as the last one). James had played in 13 games, scored 3 goals and made 2 assists. And Di Maria didn't have a pre-season tour with us.

harms

Staff
Di Maria was also very expensive, evidently came just for money, and didn’t want to be here.

None of which seem true about Dan James.
That's not the point. The point is, you don't judge a signing after 2,5 months.

TRUERED89

All he is is pace. Hardly really that impressive. Go watch Wilf Zaha.. that’s talent.
He's been getting plenty assists (some great one's against Liverpool and Norwich) and scored some beauties so if that's just pace, then more of the same please :houllier:. Wasn't Ronaldo just a show pony apparently back in 2004/2005? Give the guy a break.

PS Zaha had his chance here, couldn't adjust and was too busy boning Moyes's daughter so its his own fault :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Siorac

He's been decent so far, uses his pace well and he's usually a threat. Great attitude, too.

But part of it is that it's a pleasant surprise; after all, he's a young player we signed for peanuts from the Championship. If a 60m signing delivered the exact same performances, we'd be a lot less enthusiastic about him because it would be seen as par for the course.

And yeah, it's very early to judge him as a signing.

Mainoldo

Jesus, did he sleep with your mum or something?
He wouldn’t be walking if he did.

I just think the thread is abit OTT. Let the kid develop. We acting like he’s come here and been our Mo Salah. It’s embarrassing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ah,I see James has already been branded as nothing more than a speed merchant . The same lazy branding that was thrown at Valencia time and time again.:rolleyes:

Shark

@NotShark
He wouldn’t be walking if he did.

I just think the thread is abit OTT. Let the kid develop. We acting like he’s come here and been our Mo Salah. It’s embarrassing.
I created the thread as more a speculation, rather than a statement, based on what he's shown up to now. It's up to you rather you want to partake. Also he's 22, not exactly 18 and an actual kid.

Jonno

That's not the point. The point is, you don't judge a signing after 2,5 months.
You also don’t dismiss a signings attributes because it’s only 2.5 months.

He scores, assists, causes defences problems, works hard, keeps his head down. All the attributes I as a United fan look for in my teams players.

I’m delighted he’s here, even if it is after 2.5 months.

Green_Red

Impressed by what we're getting from him so far..for 15 million:

1. Can play left wing.
2. Can play right wing.
3. Can play in the middle.
4. Wonderkid.
5. Full-time Welsh international.
6. Great pro. Very determined.
7. Unbelievable pace.
8. Unbelievable stamina.
9. Unbelievable fitness.

If he turns out to be a world class player, should be the best signing ever made in modern football.
Better than Ronaldo or Keane?!! feck that is high praise. Buckle your seatbelts Caftards!!!

Siorac

You also don’t dismiss a signing after 2.5 months.

He scores, assists, causes defences problems, works hard, keeps his head down. All the attributes I as a United fan look for in my teams players.

Yeah but no one is doing that.

slored1

1. Can play left wing.
2. Can play right wing.
4. Wonderkid.
7. Unbelievable pace.
8. Unbelievable stamina.
9. Unbelievable fitness.

If he turns out to be a world class player, should be the best signing ever made in modern football.
Easy there mate, he's good but he isn't fecking Ronaldo

Canagel

Nope. But he can break into the top 5 in the future.

1. Pogba
2. Martial
3. Romero
4. Blind
5. AWB

Last edited:

Jam

1. Can play left wing.
2. Can play right wing.
4. Wonderkid.
7. Unbelievable pace.
8. Unbelievable stamina.
9. Unbelievable fitness.

Bet you wake up on a morning and exclaim what a wonderful day it’s going to be and go to work with a smile on your face.

I want what you’re having.

Nick7

Yeah but no one is doing that.
You what? People were doing just that before we even signed him let alone before he played a single game. Some in the transfer thread were almost begging him to fail.

harms

Staff
You also don’t dismiss a signings attributes because it’s only 2.5 months.

And who did that? He's been very good so far and hopefully he'll become even better. It doesn't mean that he already succeeded here though.

RUCK4444

All he is is pace. Hardly really that impressive. Go watch Wilf Zaha.. that’s talent.
Not sure if serious? I haven’t checked but would hazard a guess that James has more goals and assists than Zaha so far this season?

I do like Zaha though.

edit: just checked. He has three goals to Zaha’s zero. And 2 assists to Zaha’s 1.

I think he has been excellent considering his age and that most people expected just a pace merchant but he’s more than that.

Adcuth

I think he's shown from his crosses from the right side that he can be just as influential from either side. Given the link up play between Rashford and Martial, when everyone is fit they should be our front 3. Ole needs to use a 433 I think to get the best our of our squad.

Dr. StrangeHate

He's been an excellent signing, fans can tell that he is clearly living the dream as he is playing with pure heart, and showcasing that he does have more than just sheer pace to offer.

His pass to Rashford yesterday, with all due respect, is one i'd expect every player on the park to be able to make. It was horrendous defending from Norwich. Beckham would have dropped that pass on to Rashford's foot even if there were 2 defenders within a yard either side of Rashford.
That will be when he launches his scuba diving branded line.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
There are a few of these players in teams in the Championship/ relegated PL teams.
Robertson 10m from Hull
Maguire 12m from Hull
Maddison 20m from Norwich
It's all about the big clubs taking a punt and not going for the expensive foreign players. .
I would go further and say not going for expensive players. Plenty of foreign players who are showing quality before they get to their country top clubs, and we could had snatched them before too, otherwise we pay small fortunes.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Is it compulsory in here to take a conflicting opinion as a personal insult? Surely we can just have a consensus on James that he's doing everything right so far. Gets his head down, works hard, provides a bit of quality when he gets the chance. That's a decent template for them all at the moment.

Mainoldo

You're well 'ard
Well tone down on the mom jokes. You wouldn’t find it appropriate to say that to my face so don’t type guilt free over a forum. I don’t mind a joke but be mindful.

Either way James has a lot to prove. It’s far to early and he looks really raw.

Gandalf

Off to a great start but lets pump the brakes on the best ever nonsense. I do love the fact that he has improved already since the start of the season, making better use of the ball and improving his crossing being the obvious areas. At 15m he has already proved to be worth the fee as even if he does end up just a squad player that is still a cheap price and should we move him on at any point you would expect a profit. I do think he will stick as a regular starter though and I hope we take a few more punts like this because that is how you get a James Madison for 20m or Andy Robertson for 8m.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well tone down on the mom jokes. You wouldn’t find it appropriate to say that to my face so don’t type guilt free over a forum. I don’t mind a joke but be mindful.

Either way James has a lot to prove. It’s far to early and he looks really raw.
:lol: ok tough guy

Siorac

You what? People were doing just that before we even signed him let alone before he played a single game. Some in the transfer thread were almost begging him to fail.
Not in the context of this thread though. The point was that you should not judge a signing in just a couple of months. No one is dismissing him now, in this thread, it's just a bit too early to call him the best signing since Van Persie.

(who only had one great season anyway)

Mr. Meeseeks

For 15 million its hard to argue. Up there with Zlatan for me so far. I expected his pace, but his assist vs Norwich was entirely unexpected. We havent even seen that much of his pace showcased yet, and the lad can probably keep up with Mbappe. His goals were fantastic finishes too. There is much more to come from him if he keeps his head down.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

He's done well but has 2 assists in his last 9 games for us. Fact is that Norwich are in bad form and are stylistically perfect for us. There have been some wild overreactions to the game, this being one of them.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Heard AWB has a beautiful voice tbh so will be tough.