Is Daniel James set to become our best signing since RVP?

Shark

@NotShark
RedCafe is either overly negative or borderline deludedly positive, there is no middle ground :lol:
I don't see what's delusional about speculating if a player who many consider a breath of fresh air, is getting the fans off their seats with electric pace as well is improving his overall game, could become our most vital signing since we signed RVP. He may not get close to that status, but it's not like we're talking about an 18 year old prospect like Januzai was. James could literally reach his peak in three years and I'm very excited to see where he is at that point.

RyRy11

He’s performed a lot better than expected, I’d wager his numbers would be better if we could have kept a fully fit squad from the beginning of the season. I don’t see him becoming a world beater mind.

stevoc

Maybe best 'value for money' signing. But it's still too early to say.

I remember 3 months in the likes of Darmian, Di Maria, Matic were also hailed as the greatest things ever. Before making the deadwood bin, 6 months down the line.
With Darmian it was more like 3 matches but yeah i think James needs to produce consistently for a while yet before he's held up as our best signing in the last decade.

Jonno

And who did that? He's been very good so far and hopefully he'll become even better. It doesn't mean that he already succeeded here though.
there have been countless posts on Dan James, firstly criticising the signing of James, saying he will never be good enough, then after 1-2 games, people criticising that he is all speed and nothing else, so then he pops 2-3 top quality goals and assists in and becomes our most consistent performer, so then various people post that we shouldn’t be judging him after 2.5 months

How dare we praise one of our young players on a football forum.

Jonno

Not in the context of this thread though. The point was that you should not judge a signing in just a couple of months. No one is dismissing him now, in this thread, it's just a bit too early to call him the best signing since Van Persie.

(who only had one great season anyway)
people aren’t calling him the best signing since Van Persie, people are discussing whether he has the POTENTIAL to be the best signing since Van Persie.

I don’t really see the problem, it’s a valid thread and Dan James has started his career brilliantly at United.

lysglimt

Scout
people aren’t calling him the best signing since Van Persie, people are discussing whether he has the POTENTIAL to be the best signing since Van Persie.

I don’t really see the problem, it’s a valid thread and Dan James has started his career brilliantly at United.
Considering he is the only signing (together with Pogba) whose value has rocketed since joining us - he might just be.

davidmichael

He seems such a low profile and non maintenance yet hard working signing with a great attitude and lots of potential, he’s exactly the type of signing that’s needed and such a breath of fresh air.

I remember in pre season Ole was saying that James was blowing everyone else away in training and that’s what you want to see from a new signing as it rubs off on everyone else. If we manage to sign Sancho to add to Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong we could have the most exciting group of attacking players we’ve potentially ever had if they all fulfil their potential.

GBBQ

He’s performed a lot better than expected, I’d wager his numbers would be better if we could have kept a fully fit squad from the beginning of the season. I don’t see him becoming a world beater mind.
Any particular reason why? I mean obviously there's plenty of reasons why players don't become great but he's 21 and he's scoring and creating in a team that is struggling. Surely he's at least in the mix.

HowYouDoin

He is obviously talented but my stance hasnt changed. I'm not really evaluating him until next year. Playing in the Premier League is a massive jump and he needs time to settle to playing at this level, against Premier League competition. He needs a year of Premier League experience under his belt. First signs are very encouraging though, no doubt. I do expect we will see him gradually improving each month little by little.

dove

I don't see what's delusional about speculating if a player who many consider a breath of fresh air, is getting the fans off their seats with electric pace as well is improving his overall game, could become our most vital signing since we signed RVP. He may not get close to that status, but it's not like we're talking about an 18 year old prospect like Januzai was. James could literally reach his peak in three years and I'm very excited to see where he is at that point.
James has been OK but I feel he is not as good as many people think he is. I am happy we signed him, he could still improve his game a lot but we should wait a bit more.

Mainoldo

So those crosses to set up Rashford against Liverpool and Norwich ? That was pace only ?
Anderson couldn’t shoot.. but did he not score goals?

You telling me Daniel James is a good crosser then?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

The original title of this thread was something like “is Daniel James our best signing since van Persie?”. Hence the reaction.

RyRy11

Any particular reason why? I mean obviously there's plenty of reasons why players don't become great but he's 21 and he's scoring and creating in a team that is struggling. Surely he's at least in the mix.
I don’t think we are currently in a position to develop players to hit those heights. It’s not so much doubting James himself just our track record of coaching young players over the years. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.

GBBQ

I don’t think we are currently in a position to develop players to hit those heights. It’s not so much doubting James himself just our track record of coaching young players over the years. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.
Ah that's a fair point, I thought you meant shortcomings on James' part.

TRUERED89

He wouldn’t be walking if he did.

I just think the thread is abit OTT. Let the kid develop. We acting like he’s come here and been our Mo Salah. It’s embarrassing.
You wouldn't be able to touch any Man United player and you know it Rambo :lol:..

Mainoldo

You wouldn't be able to touch any Man United player and you know it Rambo :lol:..
If Dan James can violate your mom and get away with it.. that’s up to you.

But not on my watch. Consequences and repercussions... footballers have been touched plenty of times. He’s hardly a big lad.. would make Light work of him.

TRUERED89

If Dan James can violate your mom and get away with it.. that’s up to you.

But not on my watch. Consequences and repercussions... footballers have been touched plenty of times. He’s hardly a big lad.. would make Light work of him.
I'm not saying he's some big bruiser, but how many celebrities/athletes have you beaten up? You're not getting past the body guards and security! If James did sleep with someone's mother and she consented then you have to blame her too :lol:..

Mainoldo

I'm not saying he's some big bruiser, but how many celebrities/athletes have you beaten up? You're not getting past the body guards and security! If James did sleep with someone's mother and she consented then you have to blame her too :lol:..
How you mean. lescott’s face is street politics Joey Barton and Stevie G have all been on camera in altercations. You think James is out clubbing with security? If anything the roads are their security for most footballers who are out there.

But it’s light conversation don’t want anyone thinking I’m condoling this or it’s a good idea. It was a throw away comment to what I thought was a stupid response from a poster (already been laughed off). Let’s not give this more attention.

As for my mom she’s an old lady.. so if he did he’s a filthy pervert and deserves the beating on that alone :lol:

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
How do these conversations go from football to sleepovers?

The question was is he the best signing since Van Persie.
Yep probably.
I've been sick so I can't totally tell you about the team. But he looks like he has it in him to be a really good player.

Mainoldo

How do these conversations go from football to sleepovers?

The question was is he the best signing since Van Persie.
Yep probably.
I've been sick so I can't totally tell you about the team. But he looks like he has it in him to be a really good player.
Probably because thinking he’s the best signing since RVP is the dumbest thing ever. But he kind of changed the questions now.

billybee99

Anderson couldn’t shoot.. but did he not score goals?

You telling me Daniel James is a good crosser then?
Anderson had 5 Premier League goals in 8 seasons. James is a helluva lot better at crossing than Anderson was at scoring.

Shark

@NotShark
The original title of this thread was something like “is Daniel James our best signing since van Persie?”. Hence the reaction.
I edited it because I knew it was an overreaction soon after and a far more sensible discussion would be if he can reach the potential. I guess the original point I was making was that James is pretty much everything that the likes of Sanchez, Di Maria and Falcao wasn’t.

Mainoldo

Anderson had 5 Premier League goals in 8 seasons. James is a helluva lot better at crossing than Anderson was at scoring.
Why? How many crossing assist does he have? How many balls onto the strikers head of feet does he have? I seen him in a dozen good crossing positions over the weekend to which he went Antonio Valencia.

andy dufresne

come on lads , lets please show a bit of perspective here shall we.Dan James has done well so far. I wouldn't say fantastic but he has as other posters have pointed out already,probably exceeded both the clubs and the fans/supporters expectations.That said, lets not go overboard and start making fanciful statements and predictions about what he may or may not do suffice to say, he is, as I have said previously a good player and a footballer who has improved our team though he will never be a world beater will he and at a club like United that is what we are really looking for,surely (I can feel the daggers in my back as I typed out that last sentence)

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Martial could become an all time great, and if he fulfills his potential at United he’ll go down as one of our best ever signings.

James no expectations due to the fee. If he stays the same he’ll be a great a signing, if he improves and develops he’ll be like signing Ole for £1.5m

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
He's started better than anybody could have expected, but let's see how copes with his first serious dip in form, it might be next month, it might be half way through next season, but's it's coming, nothing surer.

And if he recovers then kicks-on we could have a potential superstar on our hands, if he doesn't he may well end up back in the Championship.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He's started better than anybody could have expected, but let's see how copes with his first serious dip in form, it might be next month, it might be half way through next season, but's it's coming, nothing surer.

And if he recovers then kicks-on we could have a potential superstar on our hands, if he doesn't he may well end up back in the Championship.
The thing I find intriguing is that most probably thought that once the PL work out his patterns of movement, you can nullify his pace and he'll be less impactful like everybody did with Wallcott and then Lemon.

What I have seen since he joined United and what has particularly impressed me the most, is that there is far more to his game and that he isn't over reliant on pace to be a productive player. He's also very quickly matured. I think he'll be a fine player and he'll bounce back when he inevitably has a dip in form.

Charles Ufarley

He's decent and has exceeded expctations so far but the OP's question is high praise indeed and needs a wait and see response...

TRUERED89

How you mean. lescott’s face is street politics Joey Barton and Stevie G have all been on camera in altercations. You think James is out clubbing with security? If anything the roads are their security for most footballers who are out there.

But it’s light conversation don’t want anyone thinking I’m condoling this or it’s a good idea. It was a throw away comment to what I thought was a stupid response from a poster (already been laughed off). Let’s not give this more attention.

As for my mom she’s an old lady.. so if he did he’s a filthy pervert and deserves the beating on that alone :lol:
:lol: Funny response, anyway let’s just hope James doesn’t sleep with any United fans mother then.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The thing I find intriguing is that most probably thought that once the PL work out his patterns of movement, you can nullify his pace and he'll be less impactful like everybody did with Wallcott and then Lemon.

What I have seen since he joined United and what has particularly impressed me the most, is that there is far more to his game and that he isn't over reliant on pace to be a productive player. He's also very quickly matured. I think he'll be a fine player and he'll bounce back when he inevitably has a dip in form.
Good examples of similar players, but I think the advantage Daniel James has/had over Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon is that he got a proper/better footballing education before his break-through into senior football unlike the other two lads who were thrust in the deep-end as very very young 16 year olds.

It may not have felt like it the time to him but his loan move to Shrewsbury Town where he couldn't get a game at a lower level probably helped him as he must've realised pretty sharpish he still had an awful lot to learn about the game as blistering pace only gets you so far, and he obviously went back to Swansea and worked on his game away from the media glare before he got his chance - the other two were still learning the game in the first-team with the media first building them up as future stars of the National team before they were even 18, then telling all and sundry what they still needed to work on, and how to stop them doing other coaches work for them.

Think injuries did for Walcott more than being found out, and Lennon was never going to be anything other than a speed merchant.