Is Daniel James set to become our best signing since RVP?

poleglass red

Well, actually, there was a bit more to it than that. The comments were in context of the fouls Ronaldo got, but Giggs was also talking about his ‘bravery’ and his ‘pace and dribbling ability’ in the same comment. He also, if I recall correctly, described the signing of James as a ‘no brainer’. That type of thing is hype I’m afraid. We haven’t got a Ronaldo, but we might have a poor man’s Darren Huckerby. To be fair, whilst that type of player is not where we want to be, it probably illustrates where we are.
You're reading too much into it. He was comparing a young Ronaldo when he first arrived at Utd, he got fouled a lot but kept getting up and still showing for the ball. He compared that to the treatment James was getting from defenders and his reactions, nothing more, nothing less.Remember Giggs is his national team manager and was speaking at a time when James had scored 4 goals in 11 games for us, that was the context he was speaking in. The only comparison he was illustrating was their bravery. The way you are intrepretating it, as if Giggs said we have the next Ronaldo.

Devil81

@Devil81 Look at how he played at Swansea, the spaces he operated in.

That's a left winger. He can't play his natural game on the right or as a striker.
Mate, you're showing me a video of his best bits from the Championship, the Premier League is far more competitive.

Defenders just show him the line and jockey him into a mistake, he's bang average wherever you play him as he's not technically capable at Premier League level.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
You're reading too much into it. He was comparing a young Ronaldo when he first arrived at Utd, he got fouled a lot but kept getting up and still showing for the ball. He compared that to the treatment James was getting from defenders and his reactions, nothing more, nothing less.Remember Giggs is his national team manager and was speaking at a time when James had scored 4 goals in 11 games for us, that was the context he was speaking in. The only comparison he was illustrating was their bravery. The way you are intrepretating it, as if Giggs said we have the next Ronaldo.
Ahhh, so Giggs didn’t mean it. Got it. In that case I agree with him, because all of the hype surrounding James (so typical of pretty much any attacking player we sign), turned out to be horse manure. Giggs of course doesn’t have the best judgement, but if he didn’t mean it, he didn’t mean it.

He'sRaldo

Mate, you're showing me a video of his best bits from the Championship, the Premier League is far more competitive.

Defenders just show him the line and jockey him into a mistake, he's bang average wherever you play him as he's not technically capable at Premier League level.
My point was never his current level. It's the fact that Ole has mismanaged him.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
So is he the first among players Ole signed to join the "Deadwood" list of CAF? :rolleyes:
It's not really deadwood if he's only been here a relatively short time. Deadwood is more along the lines of a Lingard or Jones who have been here for an eternity. James showed some promise in the beginning but that was then. He's fast and passionate, which I appreciate, but his footballing abilities leaves much to be desired for someone playing in a winger-type role. Those positions require the ability to beat their man more often than not and make dangerous passes into scoring areas.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s done okay this season but he needs a loan or something. He should not be the player we’re bringing in when we’re rotating for an FA cup semi-final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My point was never his current level. It's the fact that Ole has mismanaged him.
It's a fact, is it? What's he done other than play him far too much for a player of his standard. He's not going to play in one of the two key areas of our forward line - LW and CF, as he is miles behind the competition i.e Rashford and Martial. He should, if anything, be grateful he's getting playing time at a club of this stature.

The only complaint he could have is that AWB isn't comfortable tucking inside which is something he has to do as James likes keeping the width. But I mean, he's a monster defensively so that helps any winger too.

GMoore23

He looked so promising early doors but I don't think I've ever seen a youngster fouled so much. He was offered no protection from the refs and they even began to caution him for diving :houllier::houllier:.

I'm a big supporter of Solskjaer but this is one issue he could have handled better. I don't think he ever made a comment on this issue to put pressure on the refs or draw the medias attention.
This is something Fergie would have done immediately to protect his young player.
Its a mental issue now with James. After persistent heavy fouling, He now playing more hesitantly and discouraged.

treble_winner

He looked so promising early doors but I don't think I've ever seen a youngster fouled so much. He was offered no protection from the refs and they even began to caution him for diving :houllier::houllier:.

I'm a big supporter of Solskjaer but this is one issue he could have handled better. I don't think he ever made a comment on this issue to put pressure on the refs or draw the medias attention.
This is something Fergie would have done immediately to protect his young player.
Its a mental issue now with James. After persistent heavy fouling, He now playing more hesitantly and discouraged.
Mourinho used to defend our players regarding those incidents (Herrera, Pogba...etc) and he was quite targeted by the media as well as refs. I remember he got banned from some matches after he showed frustration with a Pogba red card (Meanwhile Klopp got away with much more aggressive acts). I guess Ole is being cautious in case the FA really conspires against Manchester United and our managers, which actually should not be that surprising to us.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ffs, reallly, we came from Van Persie level of signing to Bellion in less then a year :)

James is a player with potential. Player that doesn't have too much experience at all, especially at this level and a player that doesn't have too many different skills in his backpack. What he has is a few good things and young age so he can improve the rest. He has pace, he has good cross while moving at high speed, defensively he is pretty good at this age, brave and hardworking. He can improve a lot in his game for sure, he can add a few skills, he can pass better and understand game better, but with proper shift of our coaches he can do it. Looks to me like he is the boy that is not afraid of hard working.

And, while I understand that in current 'fan internet' setup only the last game counts and you are as good as your last game, kid had a few great performances at the start of the season. In the meantime, there is fatigue issue, teams taking a look at his game, losing confidence, getting out of form...it happens. Nothing that can't be fixed in the preseason working with proper coaches. 11 goal contributions for a winger is pretty good for his first season in elite competition, I would be happy with similar numbers next year, or even worse with improvement in the playing style. Ridiculous good signing for 15m in the opening season.
To be fair, in this forum is mostly the other way around. It is always time, it fixes everything. Give more time to Moyes and he'll turn good. Give 8 years to Anderson. Give 9 to Jones. Give time to young and learning Lingard. Any time someone complained that some player, are a bit shit, the time variable is thrown there.

Some players are just not that good. Time makes player more consistent, smarter, and young players get stronger. But time is not some alchemy that improves the fundamentals of a player and their technique.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
To be fair, in this forum is mostly the other way around. It is always time, it fixes everything. Give more time to Moyes and he'll turn good. Give 8 years to Anderson. Give 9 to Jones. Give time to young and learning Lingard. Any time someone complained that some player, are a bit shit, the time variable is thrown there.

Some players are just not that good. Time makes player more consistent, smarter, and young players get stronger. But time is not some alchemy that improves the fundamentals of a player and their technique.
I would argue to some extent though that giving time to a player means at least 3 seasons? Especially a young one bought from the championship and always playing out of his normal position. He showed a lot of promise at the start and everyone loved his attitude - let's at least give him time to become a decent squad player because he does have a couple of rare attributes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
To be fair to @Shark our choices weren’t exactly stellar for the past 7 years.

Eli Zee

Let's just say if he plays decent next season and has average PL RW stats, he can easily win the most improved player award.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
I would argue to some extent though that giving time to a player means at least 3 seasons? Especially a young one bought from the championship and always playing out of his normal position. He showed a lot of promise at the start and everyone loved his attitude - let's at least give him time to become a decent squad player because he does have a couple of rare attributes.
I disagree, and think that it should be on case by case basis. Someone like Greenwood, might flop the next season and the one after that, but I would like to think that we should be more patient with him, considering that all the fundamentals are there. Experience and consistency are all that remain to be set right, and eventually, they can come (not necessarily though, some talented players never become that great).

In the case of James, I just don't see the fundamentals being there. He is a speed merchant, that's all. Take away the pace, and he would be lucky to make it in League One. Sure, with pace, he is a decent player for a championship club or maybe even a squad player for an EPL club fighting to not get relegated, but at United, I just don't see it. In 3 years, he is still gonna be a pace merchant, who will have meh technique. Same as how time didn't help Hernandez at improving his technique (though to his credit, he was awesome at putting the goal in the net, which is why he had a successful career). The question to me is, will a mediocre player who is fast has what it takes to be a success at United? I hardly see how this can be the case but hopefully I am wrong.

The Cat

I disagree, and think that it should be on case by case basis. Someone like Greenwood, might flop the next season and the one after that, but I would like to think that we should be more patient with him, considering that all the fundamentals are there. Experience and consistency are all that remain to be set right, and eventually, they can come (not necessarily though, some talented players never become that great).

In the case of James, I just don't see the fundamentals being there. He is a speed merchant, that's all. Take away the pace, and he would be lucky to make it in League One. Sure, with pace, he is a decent player for a championship club or maybe even a squad player for an EPL club fighting to not get relegated, but at United, I just don't see it. In 3 years, he is still gonna be a pace merchant, who will have meh technique. Same as how time didn't help Hernandez at improving his technique (though to his credit, he was awesome at putting the goal in the net, which is why he had a successful career). The question to me is, will a mediocre player who is fast has what it takes to be a success at United? I hardly see how this can be the case but hopefully I am wrong.
I'm not gonna argue too much but being Welsh and seeing all of his international performances he's got more ability than he gets given credit for - let's see what happens!

The Oracle

I genuinely hope he does go on to become 'Our best signing since RVP'

...however, I just can't see it.

Whenever I see him play, I can't help but think he looks like a Championship player - not a Premier League player.

The Cat

I genuinely hope he does go on to become 'Our best signing since RVP'

...however, I just can't see it.

Whenever I see him play, I can't help but think he looks like a Championship player - not a Premier League player.
To be fair a lot at his age do.

SAFMUTD

Should be sold this summer, the more he plays the more limited he looks, at this rythym by the end of next season he will be deadwood and we will struggle to get rid of him.

He was a bet didnt worked out lets move on fast, no need to keep hoping for him to magically develop and end up with another Darmian, Bailly, Dalot, etc

The Cat

At 22? Give over. I know he’s welsh and you have to defend him which is odd but that’s a ridiculous thing to say.
Get a grip he's not been here long - I am not defending him because he is Welsh I am defending him because he is a young Man United player not being given a proper chance as yet. If you want to write him off that's up to you but that is pathetic at his point in time.

Bojan11

Get a grip he's not been here long - I am not defending him because he is Welsh I am defending him because he is a young Man United player not being given a proper chance as yet. If you want to write him off that's up to you but that is pathetic at his point in time.
You said a lot of players at 22 look like championship players, which isn’t the case. Name me one good quality about him? He’s not very good with the ball at his feet. That’s kind of a fundamental as a footballer. Pace is useless if you can’t use it properly. Else we should sign Usain Bolt, if we just wanted pace.

The Cat

You said a lot of players at 22 look like championship players, which isn’t the case. Name me one good quality about him? He’s not very good with the ball at his feet. That’s kind of a fundamental as a footballer. Pace is useless if you can’t use it properly. Else we should sign Usain Bolt, if we just wanted pace.
Give it a rest. You only see pace. Watch the last 18 months back catalogue of Wales games if you want to make an informed opinion. And yes a lot of players don't mature until after 22 how is that even an argument? You hate him - ok up to you. I am telling you there is a squad player in there - that's up to me.

Bojan11

Give it a rest. You only see pace. Watch the last 18 months back catalogue of Wales games if you want to make an informed opinion. And yes a lot of players don't mature until after 22 how is that even an argument? You hate him - ok up to you. I am telling you there is a squad player in there - that's up to me.
Name me a good quality? You told me to watch Wales? Why do I wanna watch matches vs Hungary or Azerbaijan? Those are league 1 teams, so you are proving my point.

Quit skipping the question and tell me one thing he’s good at which isn’t running fast?

The Cat

Insulting another member
Name me a good quality? You told me to watch Wales? Why do I wanna watch matches vs Hungary or Azerbaijan? Those are league 1 teams, so you are proving my point.

Quit skipping the question and tell me one thing he’s good at which isn’t running fast?
Of ffs are you that stupid? Watch the fecking games if you are going to argue about it - watch his movement and the quality crosses he put in - from the LEFT which goes back to the original point.

Have a good night dickhead and try to learn to support your club's young players a bit more eh? Oh yeah he's got a decent shot too from the LEFT curling in - that's another one.

Bojan11

Of ffs are you that stupid? Watch the fecking games if you are going to argue about it - watch his movement and the quality crosses he put in - from the LEFT which goes back to the original point.

Have a good night dickhead and try to learn to support your club's young players a bit more eh? Oh yeah he's got a decent shot too from the LEFT curling in - that's another one.
Back to insults because you can’t name a good quality he has. Funny.

Strange you are. Cleverley was English and I wanted gone because he was limited. Same for Lingard. Maybe watch matches that involve our club and not worry about nationality or fanboying over a player.

Tel074

Enjoy your ban

Gazza

Feel like maybe you should be a bit more mature in your argument ?

Slysi17

Well you didn't give an outstanding quality of Dan James so don't throw your toys out of the pram just because someone criticizes the player. Barring the start of the season Dan James hasn't shown anything. I am a Manchester United fan so don't care what he does for Wales. I don't think we should sell him yet but if he doesn't improve next season and show some promise we should get rid of him. You can't show blind loyalty to a player if he ain't that good. A team who wants to challenge for the big titles like premier leagues and champions leagues wouldn't do that.

Slysi17

Well you didn't give an outstanding quality of Dan James so don't throw your toys out of the pram just because someone criticizes the player. Barring the start of the season Dan James hasn't shown anything. I am a Manchester United fan so don't care what he does for Wales. I don't think we should sell him yet but if he doesn't improve next season and show some promise we should get rid of him. You can't show blind loyalty to a player if he ain't that good. A team who wants to challenge for the big titles like premier leagues and champions leagues wouldn't do that.

Fussball13251

This post didn't age well. Like Lingard... he's no longer seen as a regular for Ole. Martial is now ahead of him. So is Greenwood. h?v=UdPn8JhVcYA and watch?v=3DJIcY6bY2I

He'll still get the odd game or two though.

Last edited:

Siorac

I would argue to some extent though that giving time to a player means at least 3 seasons?
I'm very happy we didn't give three seasons to Obertan or Bebe. Being dogmatic about "at least three seasons" is madness. As @Revan said, it should be on a case-by-case basis.

Chairman Steve

He should get another season. He’s not a right winger and he always looks better when deployed on the left.

Before this season, he had played only one full season of Championship and then had his father pass away just as he was in the process of signing for us... so his learning/adjusting curve to coming to Utd involving making the leap from Championship to Premier League and overcoming a personal tragedy has been steep.

He‘s been used a lot more than we probably intended due to injuries.

Web of Bissaka

How come this thread is made again?
During the first month of this season?

I mean even at that point, there are many candidates far better than him.

Getting caught up in the heated moment? Or just a trolling thread?

The Cat

He should get another season. He’s not a right winger and he always looks better when deployed on the left.

Before this season, he had played only one full season of Championship and then had his father pass away just as he was in the process of signing for us... so his learning/adjusting curve to coming to Utd involving making the leap from Championship to Premier League and overcoming a personal tragedy has been steep.

He‘s been used a lot more than we probably intended due to injuries.
Exactly.

People here are too quick to criticise some players.

Fussball13251

Exactly.

People here are too quick to criticise some players.
Nobody is criticising. That is how football works... 1 minute you're a starter then next you're not. Martial and and Greenwood are now number 1... higher priority.

Greenwood:

18 goals

watch?v=e3LcSq6ckXM He alongside Bruno can score way more. You're effectively playing with 3 strikers.

Last edited: