Is David Moyes career finished in top level football?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He flopped with us and became a bit of a joke, but the good work he did with Everton was still fresh in the minds so the damage his United spell did wasn't irreparable.
Unfortunately for him his choices since then were not the best and I see him struggling to land a job in the top flight (in England, that is. I think the continent is a non starter).
His best hope is a relegation candidate getting panicky, but even then will he be strong enough to turn down the wrong club and avoid another Sunderland situation?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He flopped with us and became a bit of a joke, but the good work he did with Everton was still fresh in the minds so the damage his United spell did wasn't irreparable.
That Everton did better once he left says everything. He did do good work with them, but couldn't take them further.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only if he ever becomes less delusional. Nothing stinks like failure than a man that is stubborn, in denial and outdated

Foxbatt

should have done what rodgers did and gone to celtic to collect titles until the right job opened up.

Can't fault him for taking the Sociedad job though. But yes, he's finished.
Rogers is a progressive manager compared to Moyes. Now he is giving advice on how to handle Pogba, how Maguire was on his radar but did not buy him because Maguire was so big for a young man and he did not know how big Maguire might grow, how he would love to work for Beckham as Beckham played for him when he was the Manager at Preston etc. Honestly I think he has gone bonkers.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
None of the current Top6 clubs would touch him, that's for sure. Top7-10 clubs should approach him with great care, especially rising clubs like Wolves.

Italy? Nah. Holland? Nah. Germany? Ha! Spain? Already failed.

A big club in France other than PSG? Hmm, maybe...does he speak French? It always helps if you're living/working there.

Porto? Benfica? Sporting L.? Maybe

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s finished in the Premier League and made enough money from us that he doesn’t have any hunger to work in the Championship where he belongs at this point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His consistent refusal to admit anything from his time at United was his fault makes me not feel sorry for him at all.

Inept dinosaur of a manager stuck hoovering up the crumbs of Allardyce/Bruce/Hughes/Pardew.

fergiesarmy1

His next money maker will be a book I’d expect, probably had some clause for the last 6 years that stopped him.

Superunknown

He isn't suited to be the manager of a top club. He tried it at United and the pressure was too much. Not only that, but his decision making was very suspect, particularly with the changes that he made with the backroom staff. Ultimately, he doesn't really have a distinctive style of play that his teams play, or at least it isn't suited for any of the sides in the current top 4 or even top 6. I would echo that for the bigger sides over Europe, too. So, on first impressions, it doesn't seem good for him.

What he needs to do is find a mid-level club out there where he will be given a bit of time and space to rebuild his career. Sunderland initially seemed like a good prospect for him and I was hopeful that he would be able to do something good there. It's not nice seeing people fail. Above all, he needs to have it in himself to want to improve, because the type of football that he was serving was outdated and he is in danger of being left behind, if he isn't at that point already.

If he's got the stomach for it, either a Championship club (a mid-level club with prospects of going up, or one that isn't in immediate danger of being relegated) or he could try abroad, but it won't be at an elite club.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He isn't suited to be the manager of a top club. He tried it at United and the pressure was too much. Not only that, but his decision making was very suspect, particularly with the changes that he made with the backroom staff. Ultimately, he doesn't really have a distinctive style of play that his teams play, or at least it isn't suited for any of the sides in the current top 4 or even top 6. I would echo that for the bigger sides over Europe, too. So, on first impressions, it doesn't seem good for him.

What he needs to do is find a mid-level club out there where he will be given a bit of time and space to rebuild his career. Sunderland initially seemed like a good prospect for him and I was hopeful that he would be able to do something good there. It's not nice seeing people fail. Above all, he needs to have it in himself to want to improve, because the type of football that he was serving was outdated and he is in danger of being left behind, if he isn't at that point already.

If he's got the stomach for it, either a Championship club (a mid-level club with prospects of going up, or one that isn't in immediate danger of being relegated) or he could try abroad, but it won't be at an elite club.
Err...tried it and didn't work out

Superunknown

Err...tried it and didn't work out
He tried it at one club. In one country. If a manager fails at a job in England, is he then barred from trying it at another English club?
There are too many variables. Maybe it was the wrong time for him, or the wrong club, or he had the wrong players, or the board weren't a right fit, or maybe something else. It isn't enough to just say give up because you tried it once.

Foxbatt

The problem with him is that he compares himself to LVG, Jose and Pep etc while the only common thing he had with these three is that all three were managers in Manchester and both managed United and both got the sack but both won trophies at United while Moyes never won anything and did not even last a full season. He is delusional. Honestly he is not even as good as Big Sam. Big Sam has never been relegated but his Bolton played with flair and he had fantastic players who was allowed to play that way. Furthermore, Big Sam talked the talk and was always entertaining in his interviews.

United Hobbit

If I was him I'd try one of the higher up sides in the championship, try and get them promoted and a good FA cup run.

That way with a newly promoted side he can celebrate 80 odd crosses, Liverpool definitely will be "favourites" when they play them and a newly promoted side can only "aspire" to be like City.... Oh and dont forget there will definitely be doubt over how the balls came out of the bag when his newly promoted side are drawn against all of last season's top 4 in their first 4 matches....

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He should never have got the Man United job in the first place!

I remember laughing my head off when United appointed him because I just knew he would approach United with the same mentality he had at Everton!

Its nonsense to suggest he did a good job at Everton. in 11 years he failed to win a trophy. Failed to qualify for the Champions League proper, and crucially failed to win any of the 44 away league games at Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge or Highbury/Emirates. That last fact should have told you that his small time mentality would never work at a big club.

Is he finished at top level football? Yes, because he never actually got there in the first place.

Kag

I’d say yes but then Steve Bruce got another crack at the whip. You can never quite be sure.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He tried it at one club. In one country. If a manager fails at a job in England, is he then barred from trying it at another English club?
There are too many variables. Maybe it was the wrong time for him, or the wrong club, or he had the wrong players, or the board weren't a right fit, or maybe something else. It isn't enough to just say give up because you tried it once.
the ultimate vilification of him then...:lol:

Come on, he's rubbish. Might as well invest in younger managers instead of perennial failure

crossy1686

career ending
His consistent refusal to admit anything from his time at United was his fault makes me not feel sorry for him at all.

Inept dinosaur of a manager stuck hoovering up the crumbs of Allardyce/Bruce/Hughes/Pardew.
100% this.

The problem with Moyes was he was a dinosaur when we appointed him, can you imagine him now with the likes of Pep, Klopp, Pochettino, Emery and even Eddie Howe around?

The man probably still has a landline for gods sake.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hey, I've got a landline!

Oh.

Camilo

Hard to say. Sunderland was a shit show, but but they failed to win promotion from League one this year; I'm not sure you can really blame the guy. West Ham I thought he did a reasonable job - was unlucky to get fired I thought. A job in Spain is tough for a non Spanish speaker too...

He'll get another shot I think. Here's not a bad coach...

C'est Moi Cantona

Sheffield United will come calling when things get desperate, after Big Sam reject them first of course, you heard it here first.

stevoc

Was it the wrong time, club, players, board or something else at his last 4 clubs or is he just not a good football manager?

I know which is more likely.

Seij

The club of the top flight managers comes with lifetime membership. There's always going to be a club desperate enough to take a gamble on him. His Everton gig has set him for his life.

Foxbatt

Why do these middle of the table clubs rotate or recycle all the garbage? Why do not give opportunities to young managers? It is always Moyes, Bruce, Hodgson, Big Sam ( if he wants a relegation bound club), Warnock etc.