Is David Moyes career finished in top level football?

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
As the thread title says, will David Moyes ever get a top flight football management job again? If we want to define what I mean by top flight - europes top 5 leagues top divisions (england, spain, italy, germany, france)

Since leaving Everton in 2013 Moyes has been sacked from Man Utd, Real Sociedad, Sunderland & West Ham. Today hes linked himself with Inter Miami, which is interesting as we are yet to see if David Beckhams pet project is going to be serious or not or a retirement home for all his old mates in the game

I always thought Moyes missed a trick not taking over from Brendan Rodgers at Celtic or Rangers before Gerrard.

So is Moyes top flight career over? Should he stick to punditry? Whats next for Dithering Dave?

Crashoutcassius

He hasn't made it easy on himself. 4 jobs in a row where it is very difficult to succeed, impossible I would say bar sociadad. Lots of managers had good spells in their career and never rekindle it so i wouldn't back him to get back to that Everton level. Could still get a job at a derby type of club and try to bring someone up and be a prem manager that way.

Lynty

He's was tactically ancient at Everton. He hasnt a chance.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I sure hope so.

Almost sad that he got his dream job and it ended up destroying his reputation as a manager. Almost.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He hasn't made it easy on himself. 4 jobs in a row where it is very difficult to succeed, impossible I would say bar sociadad. Lots of managers had good spells in their career and never rekindle it so i wouldn't back him to get back to that Everton level. Could still get a job at a derby type of club and try to bring someone up and be a prem manager that way.
This is a good point and Alan Curbishley immediately jumps to mind and his time at Charlton

It's going to be very hard for Moyes to get another job as not many clubs want that style of manager anymore. More and more clubs are even making their piece with relegation rather than installing one of the 'big 4' (Allardyce/Pulis/Pardew/Hughes) in a hope to save them

I mean lets face it if Jose Mourinho is finding it hard to get a job what hope does Moyes have :lol:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's quite possibly the most boring man im football. A boring, arrogant man with zero charisma.

You'd have to be mad to hire him. Fat chance Beckham would want him to be the face of his team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No. He will be in the running for lower level PL clubs still but his career since Everton is full of meh.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It never even began.

The rumours that David Moyes once managed United are unfounded. Total fabrication.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He was never a top level manager to begin with.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That implies his career at Everton wasn't meh.
On balance it was good. Look at what we have done since he’s left and it’s pretty similar. He had weaknesses with us, sure. But we got into Europe a fair few times and got to a cup final.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It never even began.

The rumours that David Moyes once managed United are unfounded. Total fabrication.
It was rumoured around the time Jamie Redknapp managed us.

Djemba-Djemba

On balance it was good. Look at what we have done since he’s left and it’s pretty similar. He had weaknesses with us, sure. But we got into Europe a fair few times and got to a cup final.
No I was being a bit facetious, he did a pretty good job at Everton.

I think he stayed too long and was probably already past his best when he joined Utd though. I mean, even at his absolute best he was never going to be an elite manager but I think his methods were already stale before he even arrived at Old Trafford.

Utd just sped up his decline.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I thought his work at West Ham was severely underrated. Took the job with them 17th in the table, turned Arnautovic into a goalscorer and had them as high as 11th before finishing in 13th.

Suedesi

No. He will be in the running for lower level PL clubs still but his career since Everton is full of meh.
Why? How many chances does he deserve? He's not exactly an inspiring, forward-thinking coach. If the likes of Rafa had to go to China, and the likes of Mourinho are currently unemployed, what are Moyes' chances?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
He joined us, and the very first interview was loser talk. Ever since, every interview has been full of excuses no matter where he was.

Whilst I don't blame him soley for our decline (it was the idiots who allowed him to change so much backroom more imo), he certainly has showed who he is since.

He has been already given far too many chances. Another typical PL dinosaur doing the rounds.

Djemba-Djemba

I do think we're reaching the end times for the shite old school British managers club.

Hughes, McClaren and Pardew won't get another PL team, neither will Moyes or Pulis I don't think.

Big Sam might be the only one left who could get another go somewhere, but he's managed most of the middling clubs so I don't know who'd have him. His performance at Everton showed that unless your aim is avoid relegation at all costs he's crap.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why? How many chances does he deserve? He's not exactly an inspiring, forward-thinking coach. If the likes of Rafa had to go to China, and the likes of Mourinho are currently unemployed, what are Moyes' chances?
Why? For the same reason that people like Bruce/Pardew/Allardyce etc. are always still in the running for lower level PL jobs. I do think most teams have woke up to the idea that these managers are and should be left in the past but you'll still get the odd club that gives them a lifeline.

I think you read my post wrong anyway...I don't think Moyes will get a top 6 job ever again, but he has a chance of a lower level team taking a punt on him.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
It never even began.

There's obviously always going to be managers who fail at clubs, but then there's managers who should never have been appointed in the first place and Moyes and Jose are two who were always bad fits for your club. But, it showed that even thee great Fergie can get it badly wrong when advising the club to take on Moyes.

Suedesi

Why? For the same reason that people like Bruce/Pardew/Allardyce etc. are always still in the running for lower level PL jobs. I do think most teams have woke up to the idea that these managers are and should be left in the past but you'll still get the odd club that gives them a lifeline.

I think you read my post wrong anyway...I don't think Moyes will get a top 6 job ever again, but he has a chance of a lower level team taking a punt on him.
Fair enough, so he will get the odd lower level club job, fighting against relegation interim gig etc., which may be lucrative in itself, but is effectively career over at top level football.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Didn't Beckham withdraw from Inter Miami or something?

stevoc

In hindsight it was over the moment he left Everton. He had severely stagnated there and football had passed him by, while he did a good job it was probably more a case of right man, right place, right time than talent alone.

He was never good enough for a top job and only got the United job because of Fergie. He was obviously out of his depth at United and had no business being there, no amount of time afforded to him would have changed that.

The other 3 clubs since United should have been his level but the 3 consecutive failures at Sunderland, Sociedad and West Ham show he's done as a manager, not good enough for a top league anymore. Maybe he never was.

Member 39557

I'm not sure about his carear, but I'll be glad to see the back of him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
should have done what rodgers did and gone to celtic to collect titles until the right job opened up.

Can't fault him for taking the Sociedad job though. But yes, he's finished.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I'd like to know what the hell happened to the career of Owen Coyle? One year being touted as the next great manager who'll takeover from Wenger or Fergie, a year later he's relegated and was finished at the top level.