Is David Moyes career finished in top level football?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He'll be back. The managerial merry go round ensures it.

Chairman seem to insanely prefer guys who have managed at the top level however poor their record instead of younger progressive types lower down.

Robertd0803

Should have never had a career in top level football after leaving Everton.

LVGWay

Was always going to be a disaster here but besides that. He’s easily still good enough to manage a bottom 10 PL club. I mean who even is Villa’s manager? Also that manager at Norwich, trying to be ‘progressive’ playing it out from the back v Liverpool at Anfield and then conceding 4 goals by half time, these idiot hipster managers get what they deserve

You see all this nonsense about British managers being too ‘old school’ so then what is the modern way? Playing it out from the back with absolute shit in your team and getting hammered? Think I’d take old school parking the bus and getting a point over that all day. But then again this is the Caf. I can remember people going into meltdown when Mourinho played for a 0-0 draw at Anfield. People wanted us to play and open style and get hammered instead :lol:

Foxbatt

Did he get a job in any of the PL or the Championship clubs in the end?

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Says as much when even celtic and the Scottish fa don't bother to give him a call regarding those positions.

Viral United

He couldn't let it go his United sacking. And that broke him big time.
Should have accepted United sacking and move on.

minh_loc_xoay

He still gives me joy after his sacking. Because no matter how badly we do, I'm still convinced that it would never get as dark as the days we were managed by him... :D

Enfant terrible

Hope he still gets the chance to prove his worth. Think Liverpool would be a perfect place to demonstrate his skills.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It was a sad moment when he was announced as the new United manager.
‘Who cares about Klopp, Mourinho and Pep when we just hired David Moyes.’ is an instant classic.

Tribec

The fact that LVG nor Jose, could do any better than Moyes suggests that either they to were dinosaurs when we employed them or the job was always going to be to difficult for him to take over. I'm still of the opinion that I though he should have been given time to evaluate and rebuild, but he wasn't and since then he's had a couple of bad career choices in Sociadad and Sunderland.

It would have been interesting to have seen Moyes come to United when he was initially touted as a number 2 to Fergie many moons ago. Perhaps that would have been a good grounding in the size of the club and given him some idea of what to expect here. He was at times like a rabbit in the headlights with us. He could find a club that suits him, that allows him to build the team and either bring it up to the Premier league or for him to replicate what he achieved at Everton. Dyche and Howe are two managers whom are currently building a reputation as consistent managers with smaller clubs and turning them into mid table clubs in the top flight. They are the next Moyes, Pulis of the future.

Ibi Dreams

It was a sad moment when he was announced as the new United manager.
Lunacy in hindsight. And the amount of people (and I was one of them) sticking up for him and saying that he could be a success for us. Just utter madness all around

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I reckon Celtic beckons for him in a few months time. To be fair to him, he did alright at West Ham. Just utterly god awful for us

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His best bet is to pick a championship team, take them to promotion and establish himself back in the premier league. Right now, even the lower table clubs like Norwich want to go for managers with a particular football philosophy and such.

GlasgowCeltic

All the pundits spoke for years about him being deserving of a top job, but none of them wanted him managing their club when the opportunities came up, see Alan Curbs.

redIndianDevil

The fact that LVG nor Jose, could do any better than Moyes suggests that either they to were dinosaurs when we employed them or the job was always going to be to difficult for him to take over. I'm still of the opinion that I though he should have been given time to evaluate and rebuild, but he wasn't and since then he's had a couple of bad career choices in Sociadad and Sunderland.

It would have been interesting to have seen Moyes come to United when he was initially touted as a number 2 to Fergie many moons ago. Perhaps that would have been a good grounding in the size of the club and given him some idea of what to expect here. He was at times like a rabbit in the headlights with us. He could find a club that suits him, that allows him to build the team and either bring it up to the Premier league or for him to replicate what he achieved at Everton. Dyche and Howe are two managers whom are currently building a reputation as consistent managers with smaller clubs and turning them into mid table clubs in the top flight. They are the next Moyes, Pulis of the future.
LvG and Mourinho are dinosaurs. And Moyes would have failed here at any point in time of his career.

Acole9

Outstanding
Lunacy in hindsight. And the amount of people (and I was one of them) sticking up for him and saying that he could be a success for us. Just utter madness all around
I was the same too, it was just hoping for the best really. Little else we could do.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I doubt they can afford what he thinks he's worth.
True, was discussing moyes with a mate saying I bet when he's doing punditry he demands to be introduced as former Manchester United manager because looks better than being introduced as ex Everton boss.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
True, was discussing moyes with a mate saying I bet when he's doing punditry he demands to be introduced as former Manchester United manager because looks better than being introduced as ex Everton boss.
Yep, say what you like about Moyes, but you can never take away the fact he as United manager. Very few have got that honour, so it's only natural for him to milk it.

I will just never get over the fact one minute our club were talking about the next manager needing to have a history of winning things and European experience, and then employing a guy with zero of the former, and maybe 2 games as latter?

Grande

LvG and Mourinho are dinosaurs. And Moyes would have failed here at any point in time of his career.
Calling Van Gaal and Mourinho is a way too simplistic analysis. Van Gaal had just taken a minnow to the Dutch championship ahead of the big three, and Netherlands to a shocking World Cup 3rd place. Mourinho had just taken Chelsea back to the top of English football (his meltdown there was clearly not a tactical meltdown). They might not be at their peaks (meaning two of the five best coaches in the last twenty years), but they were neither incompetent, outdated nor dinosaurs. They had limitations in regards to what would be needed at Woodgate’s post-Fergie United. Still enough to win a few trophies. Dinosaours is such a lazy and extreme exaggerated monicker.

Moyes, though, I suspect he was a sort of rookie dinosaur already at the time.

stevoc

What the feck are you talking about?

They both did better than Moyes. Both won trophies and/or qualified for the CL in both of their respective full seasons at the club.

Moyes failed spectacularly first time on both counts, he has never won a trophy or qualified for the CL in the past and wouldn't have achieved either at United even if given more time.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

Calling Van Gaal and Mourinho is a way too simplistic analysis. Van Gaal had just taken a minnow to the Dutch championship ahead of the big three, and Netherlands to a shocking World Cup 3rd place. Mourinho had just taken Chelsea back to the top of English football (his meltdown there was clearly not a tactical meltdown). They might not be at their peaks (meaning two of the five best coaches in the last twenty years), but they were neither incompetent, outdated nor dinosaurs. They had limitations in regards to what would be needed at Woodgate’s post-Fergie United. Still enough to win a few trophies. Dinosaours is such a lazy and extreme exaggerated monicker.

Moyes, though, I suspect he was a sort of rookie dinosaur already at the time.
van Gaal retired after the stint with us, he himself knew it was over for him, cup exploits doesn't matter much, there is day and night difference between an year long marathon like the league and world cup/euros.

Mourinho is a tactical dinosaur, almost all top clubs don't like his brand of football anymore, even Italian clubs seem to prefer slick passing football like Guardiola's or Sarri's. He also has no motivation to change things up either. He completely lost it with us in the last few months, constantly talking about his past exploits, it all points to him being past it, but there is still time for him to change up.

Revan

Assumptionman
‘Who cares about Klopp, Mourinho and Pep when we just hired David Moyes.’ is an instant classic.
Was it @Wumminator? I remember the post, but not sure I remember who made it. There was also that nahelai fella who was acting like Moyes' mom. I think that he changed his username (or left the Caf) when Moyes was sacked.

Dark times!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Was it @Wumminator? I remember the post, but not sure I remember who made it. There was also that nahelai fella who was acting like Moyes' mom. I think that he changed his username (or left the Caf) when Moyes was sacked.

Dark times!
It was him.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Dark times!
I sometimes realise that people think getting behind the manager is a bad thing. Of course everyone had reservations about Moyes, but at the time we had to get behind him. Hence “the chosen one”. He wasn’t helped by an inept transfer window and in terms of how he did, he was less damaging than both LVG and Mourinho. At the time Moyes deserved a fair backing from fans. I remember being 3-0 down against Liverpool that year and we had the best atmosphere of the year.

stevoc

I sometimes realise that people think getting behind the manager is a bad thing. Of course everyone had reservations about Moyes, but at the time we had to get behind him. Hence “the chosen one”. He wasn’t helped by an inept transfer window and in terms of how he did, he was less damaging than both LVG and Mourinho. At the time Moyes deserved a fair backing from fans. I remember being 3-0 down against Liverpool that year and we had the best atmosphere of the year.
An inept transfer window that he largely contributed to if we're being fair. Arguably he was the main contributor to that clusterfeck of a window.

manutddjw

I disagree with People saying he can still be an asset to a bottom half club. He’s not the same David Moyes that was at Everton. Since he’s managed us he’s got this undeserved ego where he thinks he’s better than he is. You can’t walk into clubs especially those struggling at the bottom and act like everyone should get on their hands and knees and thank him for bringing his genius to the club. Sunderland is what he has become in a nutshell: talking how big of a job he has, while throwing his players under the bus because it certainly isn’t his fault.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's just one of many that are just fading into oblivion. Like Mark Hughes, Martin O'Neill, Smalladyce, Alan Pardew, Paul Clement etc. Chris Hughton should get another gig soon as he always seems to get the boot unfairly.

Can only see Moyes ending up at Newcastle, Villa or Southampton possibly if they get desperate unless he lowers his expectations.

GoldanoGraham

Moyes will always get a gig somewhere - as although he is very ordinary manager he has one thing that stands him out from the rest of the other journeymen (Bruce/Allardyce/Hughes etc) - he has managed Man Utd - somehow he landed one of the biggest jobs in world football even though he’d never won anything.....it’s quite astonishing now in hindsight how he got the job - and it didn’t really take long to see how out of his depth he was - however there are always clubs that will see this favourably

I reckon Newcastle is a good shout once Brucey gets the boot - that is the right level for Moyes though