Is drawing against Stoke going to cost us the league?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's not a threat because we just won it. If we had won today, the same would have been said about Stoke and that Everton is our real first test.
No, it would've been a hurdle overcome considering our recent form at Stoke is DLDL.

After today, add another D. More of the same shite.

izec

You could have made the same thread last season after the cheap draws and losses to midtable teams.

A draw at home against Everton or away to Saints wont cost us the league too, but it is completely unnecessary and points dropped.

el3mel

True. But 85 pts won't suffice for the title.
Depending on the numbers of points the other team will collect.

They are but the other contenders have won more difficult fixtures as well.
I know but I was pointing that facing average teams is a walk in the park. Other teams lost points against these average teams and won against top ones. It's not calculated like that.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It's not so much the fact we drew but more the worried signs that appeared against stronger opposition. I'm not that worried though, hoping it's an off day. Everyone was pretty shit, including Pogba, Matic and Bailly who've impressed so far.

el3mel

No, it would've been a hurdle overcome considering our recent form at Stoke is DLDL.

After today, add another D. More of the same shite.
Well it's not. All the draws last season were 1-1 or 0-0 because we were unable to score. Today we scored 2 which in any day would have been enough to win it. I was convinced of the win after Lukaku scored. We drew because of our crap defending today, which will hardly get repeated during the same imo.

So relax a bit.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Drawing and losing games is inevitable. So long as this isnt the first game in another streak of draws then we should be challenging.

If we carry on this performance level against Everton and Southampton then we will have another top 4 battle on our hands.

Marcky411

I presume this thread was started with tongue in cheek and to really piss off some people, you can't really be serious. :lol:

Dazzmondo

If we lose the league by less than 3 points now I'm blaming you

ManUtd1999

It won't cost us anything, especially if we do what SAF was always urging us to do: strong responses to disappointing results.

Treble

Some of the other contenders will struggle against Stoke too.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
If we lose the title by a point come the end of the season, we may very well refer back to this game as the one the cost us.
Or we may refer back to any of the other matches where we dropped points. The way it is, there are always points where we can say that that particular match cost us the title but really it would be an accumulation of bad results and performances that does us in. It is early days yet.

Dominos

Realistically, if we lose the league by goal difference, 1 point or 2 points, then yeah.

I'm not particularly annoyed, it's a tough game, our centre backs decided to play like clowns which cost us. As long as they don't make a habit of it.

Fans have the tendency to blame points dropped late in the season for failure to win the league, but all games are worth the same.

dbryan

I am pretty chilled out about it. Stoke away is a tricky game and if we get 19 draws away (I know it won't happen) then we will win the league. On another day we could of won.

As long as we beat Everton then we are back on track. People needed to chill a bit anyway in my view. My mate was texting me after we beat Swansea 4-0 saying we had won the league.

It's a long bloody season. Injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc all play a part. We have a good team in my view.

I think we have a hell of a shot but there we will be worse days than today I reckon where we wont play well and may lose points.

I heard a stat during the coverage on NBC that we had only lost two league games since the defeat at Chelsea in October last season (and they were back to back at Arsenal and Spurs when we had pretty much gave up the league for the Europa league anyway) we had only lost 2 league in 32! That's pretty bloody impressive for me.

Jose is the master at not losing games, he will win most of the home games I reckon this season.

Keep the faith, we are still top of the league.

Like Sir Alex used to say " be near the top at the new year then it gives you a chance"

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I presume this thread was started with tongue in cheek and to really piss off some people, you can't really be serious. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Or we may refer back to any of the other matches where we dropped points. The way it is, there are always points where we can say that that particular match cost us the title but really it would be an accumulation of bad results and performances that does us in. It is early days yet.
I feel this is the game that we will look back on as the one that cost us the league.

And it will be all the OP's fault.

ZAGREB RED

You can't really say that after only four games played, but too many drawn games over the season which should have been won will cost any team in any League. Today was a bit disappointing as both goals conceded were avoidable, but over the piece Stoke probably did enough to earn a point. It's two points dropped, yes, but it's too early to draw conclusions about whether it will prove to be hugely significant or not. Today was a glimpse of Jones at his jittery, unpredictable worst. It might also be a chance for whoever comes in on Tuesday to stake a claim for a starting spot in the next League game.

R'hllor

I could swear there were similar posts/threads or at least with similar vibe last season too.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was expecting us to finish at 110 points with us dropping points only to City away and Pool away (both draws) as I expect Mou to park the bus in both games. Sadly we'll finish at only 108 now:wenger:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Most of the top teams will drop points there. Horrible place to play, against a horrible team, with a horrible manager.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
We are unlikely to win the league in all honesty.

To simply properly challenge will be a great season. 80 plus points would be a massive step in the right direction.

However that level of patience and self awareness is in short supply with most of our fans.

ghagua

Every point counts. If we lose the league title by a point or on goal difference like we did to City a few years ago, then we will all be looking at these sort of games.