Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Dumat12 is that you?
Yet he’s correct. The majority of views regularly expressed on this site are not representative of the wider UK population.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but yes, Redcafe is hardly a microcosm the for the country as a whole.

Barthez

Well some of us such as myself had immense pride, admiration and respect for the Queen and continue to do so for the monarchy at large. I have just arrived home from a trip to London including a 11 hour wait to pay my respects. I was in the same queue as David Beckham albeit I never saw him. Football at the moment couldn’t be further away from my thoughts. I can’t believe some on here are still moaning about missing 2 premier league games but each to their own.

Sara125

Yet he’s correct. The majority of views regularly expressed on this site are not representative of the wider UK population.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but yes, Redcafe is hardly a microcosm the for the country as a whole.
My comment was more so referring to his views

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well some of us such as myself had immense pride, admiration and respect for the Queen and continue to do so for the monarchy at large. I have just arrived home from a trip to London including a 11 hour wait to pay my respects. I was in the same queue as David Beckham albeit I never saw him. Football at the moment couldn’t be further away from my thoughts. I can’t believe some on here are still moaning about missing 2 premier league games but each to their own.
If football is so far away from your thoughts why are you currently on a football forum.

Still the mental gymnasts have still not managed to get the point.

Barthez

If football is so far away from your thoughts why are you currently on a football forum.

Still the mental gymnasts have still not managed to get the point.
I’m talking about my desire (or need) to watch a game of football before the funeral. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t talk about it.

Paul the Wolf

I’m talking about my desire (or need) to watch a game of football before the funeral. I wasn’t aware I couldn’t talk about it.
I quoted what you said - ??
There are 7 games of PL matches this weekend - people can watch PL football.
Two matches are cancelled unnecessarily this weekend and 10 last weekend because the country is run by idiots for idiots.
If you don't want to watch, don't watch, it's not compulsory.

Barthez

Two matches are cancelled unnecessarily this weekend and 10 last weekend because the country is run by idiots for idiots.
Lie down mate. It’s really not worth getting angry over. Thought about emigrating?

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Well given the size of the queues to just shuffle past her lying in state, and the expected crowds in London for the funeral, it seems to me that there's many British people still for the monarchy, although you wouldn't think so if you believed the people in this thread.
That's assuming everyone's there to pay their respects. Some may go there just to be able to say they was there, or if they're Irish; to make sure she's dead.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That's assuming everyone's there to pay their respects. Some may go there just to be able to say they was there, or if they're Irish; to make sure she's dead.
And they are going to be able to tell that from a flag drapped box after standing in a queue for 14 hours?

Redlyn

Can someone help me understand why only 3/10 matches are postponed? Is there some rationale?

Manncunian

Christ, get a grip.

I even watched football the weekend of the week my mum passed away, and she was only 62. I’ve never heard such nonsense. I doubt you ever even met the woman, and certainly didn’t know her. Presumably if you can’t even think about football, you can’t think about absolutely anything other than the Queen? Football, amongst other things, are a welcome distraction for those impacted, and those who don’t care either way shouldn’t have to go without either.

By all means mourn, but to say over a week after it’s happened that you can’t even think about football is utter hyperbole.

cyberman

So nobody else can go watch football because you don’t want to?
What kind of logic is this?

PoTMS

Hibs and Dundee United fans chanting "Lizzie's in a box" with Celtic yet to come. They cancelled all games last week due to the fear football fans would show dissent. They just do it a week later.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Hibs and Dundee United fans chanting "Lizzie's in a box" with Celtic yet to come. They cancelled all games last week due to the fear football fans would show dissent. They just do it a week later.
I don't mind either way, but that is the laziest dissent possible. They've had time to come up with something witty or actually offensive, and the best they can do is to just chant what happened/is happening.

"Elizabeth died at 96"
"She died at Balmoral castle"
"Elizabeth is the child of King George"

is the level of what they've come up with

Member 125398

They're only saying what the BBC are saying, they're just using different words.

Son

As if the Tories are not as reprehensible as Trump.
Maybe they're better looking, that's all I'll give them.
As much as I dislike the Tories come on now… Trump literally stoked a riot against his own country’s democracy.

I don’t get how people can forget they invaded their own parliament building and brought nooses to hang people.

Jericholyte2

Most people aren't as lefty as this site... open doors immigration, pick your gender, centre right=nazi, progressive melts. Some have pride in our country, traditions and identity. Those of you telling them to wash it away can continue to look forward to decades of political irrelevance. The country isn't with you.
So what actually is centre-right these days? Shipping people who’ve fled persecution and war on a one-way ticket to Rwanda? Denying people the right to protest? Denying further education institutions from educating people beyond the piss-poor curriculae in Secondary Schools? Refusing the most basic scrutiny and labelling them as ‘kangaroo courts’ or ‘witch-hunts’?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why are the people rightfully mocking you going to think it's a good idea? None of us are cheering on the cancellations and celebrating it, we're just pointing out the painfully obvious stuff you simply don't seem able to grasp.
I can grasp it well enough thank you - I don't have to agree that it isn't ridiculous that there aren't enough police to cope or that a game can go ahead in London but not 200 miles further north or that there will be that many more police at OT than at Brentford for a London derby

Judas

Open to offers
I can grasp it well enough thank you - I don't have to agree that it isn't ridiculous that there aren't enough police to cope or that a game can go ahead in London but not 200 miles further north or that there will be that many more police at OT than at Brentford for a London derby
So you still don't see the difference between Utd/Leeds at one of the biggest grounds in the country, in comparison to Brentford/Arsenal at one of the PL smaller grounds?! :lol: are you too young to realise the difference or just painfully stubborn?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would be interesting to know a comparison of actual police numbers needed for both fixtures.

Maybe if yous just learned how to behave this wouldn't be a problem. :p

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
People were more mocking your ranting about it and seeing United v Leeds as the same pricing headache as Brentford v Arse.

It's just pointless getting angry about, given we just have to live with it. You just have to hope rival teams are equally fecked over by it.

The prospect of more rearranged midweek games is really annoying for me cos I can't watch any of them due to the time difference.
I'm not angry. I'm disappointed and frankly quite worried that we don't have enough police to cope.

But sorry, just how many more police are needed at OT than at Brentford? Surely not that many...

And some other teams won't be as fecked us us because not all have had two games postponed, which is why i have said from the get-go that either all or none should go ahead. And, of course, there is no saying these games will be televised (although, of course, the Leeds game wasn't on telly here: I guess, from what you say, you might have got to see it)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So what actually is centre-right these days? Shipping people who’ve fled persecution and war on a one-way ticket to Rwanda? Denying people the right to protest? Denying further education institutions from educating people beyond the piss-poor curriculae in Secondary Schools? Refusing the most basic scrutiny and labelling them as ‘kangaroo courts’ or ‘witch-hunts’?
This... if I had a "like" button", I'd click it

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
This.
I don’t live in the UK. Please explain to me why Villa could play Southampton but United can’t play Leeds?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ever heard of Prince Andrew? What is it that you have such “ immense pride” in?
To me monarch’s and royalty belong in the Middle Ages . Ridiculous that they still exist.
What you seem to have had in the past week was not mourning but a celebration of the class system.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This.
I don’t live in the UK. Please explain to me why Villa could play Southampton but United can’t play Leeds?
Because the Illuminati, the police, the government, the FA and the Anyone But United organisation are conspiring to halt the Man Utd resurgence.

Or maybe because Man Utd and Leeds fans can't be trusted to behave and the crowd will almost be double the size so need more police than Villa Vs Southampton.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm not angry. I'm disappointed and frankly quite worried that we don't have enough police to cope.

But sorry, just how many more police are needed at OT than at Brentford? Surely not that many...

And some other teams won't be as fecked us us because not all have had two games postponed, which is why i have said from the get-go that either all or none should go ahead. And, of course, there is no saying these games will be televised (although, of course, the Leeds game wasn't on telly here: I guess, from what you say, you might have got to see it)
Brentford's ground holds 17,250, whereas OT holds c75,000.

That alone suggests four times the number of police required, even before you factor in the fierce rivalry making it considered a high risk fixture.

A heavy deployment of police will be needed around the train station and town centre, as well as along the routes to the ground. Read the below.

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/police-statement-on-leeds-v-man-utd-3577899%3famp

It's annoying, sure, but not sure anyone will be arsed to try and explain the rationale behind it again. It's like beating your head against a brick wall.

Paul the Wolf

This.
Nor do I any more. Glory be!

They could have moved the United game to Saturday with a bit of forethought. The most number of police officers for any game in a normal season, even top risk games has been under 500. Average is about 60/70.
Apparently to move the police officers from Manchester to London takes several days by horse and cart.

To receive their instructions by pigeon post is a bit hit and miss as some pigeons have been known to have flown to Scotland by mistake.

Judas

Open to offers
How aren't people over this by now? Guess I am getting old, because getting this worked up about a football match being postponed really doesn't seem worth it me like it used to. I was annoyed at first but to still be whinging a week on is impressive.

Eplel

As much as I dislike the Tories come on now… Trump literally stoked a riot against his own country’s democracy.

I don’t get how people can forget they invaded their own parliament building and brought nooses to hang people.
The riot is really small time, especially for what goes on in the US every year. It was just blown out of proportion, there was no real scope to it, it was a bunch of idiots destroying stuff. (You're blowing it out of proportion too if you really believe they intended to hang people).

What really matters is policy.

You think Trump is much worse than Suella Braverman and Priti Patel when it comes to immigration? Do you think his fiscal policies are worse than Rishi Sunak's? The only difference is that he's much more obnoxious compared to them, more cartoonish. For all the Russia collusion that is alleged to have taken place in his election, we know for sure it has been happening here in the UK, Boris and the Tories have clear ties with the Russian oligarchy.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Heh heh h
Nor do I any more. Glory be!

They could have moved the United game to Saturday with a bit of forethought. The most number of police officers for any game in a normal season, even top risk games has been under 500. Average is about 60/70.
Apparently to move the police officers from Manchester to London takes several days by horse and cart.

To receive their instructions by pigeon post is a bit hit and miss as some pigeons have been known to have flown to Scotland by mistake.
eh
The riot is really small time, especially for what goes on in the US every year. It was just blown out of proportion, there was no real scope to it, it was a bunch of idiots destroying stuff. (You're blowing it out of proportion too if you really believe they intended to hang people).

What really matters is policy.

You think Trump is much worse than Suella Braverman and Priti Patel when it comes to immigration? Do you think his fiscal policies are worse than Rishi Sunak's? The only difference is that he's much more obnoxious compared to them, more cartoonish. For all the Russia collusion that is alleged to have taken place in his election, we know for sure it has been happening here in the UK, Boris and the Tories have clear ties with the Russian oligarchy.
Please. What about the fake slates of electors?
The pressure put on Pence not to certify the result? The deletion of texts and other data by the secret service? The 140+ injured Cops?
The 800 arrests? The fact that some of the rioters were armed? The pipe bombs that were found?
You are understating it . Bigly.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Brentford's ground holds 17,250, whereas OT holds c75,000.

That alone suggests four times the number of police required, even before you factor in the fierce rivalry making it considered a high risk fixture.

A heavy deployment of police will be needed around the train station and town centre, as well as along the routes to the ground. Read the below.

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/police-statement-on-leeds-v-man-utd-3577899%3famp

It's annoying, sure, but not sure anyone will be arsed to try and explain the rationale behind it again. It's like beating your head against a brick wall.
well, besides the fact that that is not how policing works, thanks for being so condescending - maybe your explanation is best summed up by the fact that that page doesn't exist!

It's been explained and I've I said, I understand it. But I don't have to agree that it should be allowed to happen. And a London derby is still a London derby

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So you still don't see the difference between Utd/Leeds at one of the biggest grounds in the country, in comparison to Brentford/Arsenal at one of the PL smaller grounds?! :lol: are you too young to realise the difference or just painfully stubborn?
no... but I deal in facts. maybe look into just how many more police officers are needed at OT compared with a London derby. I bet it's not the four times the number some are saying.

and don't tell me there isn't something wrong if the met don't have enough officers to deal with two events in two days

Judas

Open to offers
well, besides the fact that that is not how policing works, thanks for being so condescending - maybe your explanation is best summed up by the fact that that page doesn't exist!

It's been explained and I've I said, I understand it. But I don't have to agree that it should be allowed to happen. And a London derby is still a London derby
It just isn't know, is it? How are you lacking the ability to comprehend how different it is to our home game against Leeds?

I'm losing brain cells just keeping up with this nonsense, I give up.

Shark

@NotShark
How aren't people over this by now? Guess I am getting old, because getting this worked up about a football match being postponed really doesn't seem worth it me like it used to. I was annoyed at first but to still be whinging a week on is impressive.
We've had two matches postponed in fairness while the likes of Arsenal and Spurs thrash their opponents.

Paul the Wolf

It just isn't know, is it? How are you lacking the ability to comprehend how different it is to our home game against Leeds?

I'm losing brain cells just keeping up with this nonsense, I give up.
Don't give up - the most number of police officers used in any match in 2018 was 477 for Spurs v West Ham - a London derby!! United's average was in the 200s