Is football overrated as entertainment?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
There’s more to football than just United/the Premier League. We tend to play some pretty crap stuff at times.

SAFMUTD

Im talking more about the types of players that exist today vs the 90s. I do not think it is romanticising the past at all. The players and type of players are totally different and there is no more any room for the entertainer in a team.
On the other hand the game is more fast paced and played at a higher level tactically now than then. But again in my opinion that has distracted from the entertainment.
A player like Jay Jay Okacha wouldnt survive in the same style he did in the PL at Bolton for instance.
I agree, but I think the type of player have actually improved. CBs are expected to play from the back, fullbacks expected to attack, wingers to score goals and strikers to distribute the game as well. We have more complete players today than 10-20 years ago.

Also I remember reading about how the goal tally is steady diminishing each year in football, I think that obviously hurts the expectable and thats because low teams are more organized than before and its harder to break defenses today that what it was before.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There’s more to football than just United/the Premier League. We tend to play some pretty crap stuff at times.
Pretty sure people are not just speaking about United

marktan

I watch more CL games and more league matches with evenly matched teams than I do United matches these days.

United are just a boring team to watch.

Oranges038

Today's players have been over coached since they were kids and it seems to have removed the individual identities and skilful players from the game. Now it's all systems, percentages and data analytics and I find a lot of football fairly predictable and barely watchable. There's no spontaneity and very rarely do you see a player do anything out of the ordinary.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd agree with this. Football was always a social event, either at the game or in some kind of establishment or house with mates. Take that away and you take away about 80% of the enjoyment for me. Watching it on the tele on my own is OK but not being able to share great moments or even terrible days like yesterday with your mates almost makes it all pointless.
The funny thing is, watching football has never been that social for me. I used to go a lot with my dad, which was great and I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's obviously not as fun as having a beer and being silly with your mates. This factor seems to be amplified in Europe. Having experienced standing with a beer in the stadium during a great comeback by Stuttgart, I realised just how much fun it can really be, and I didn't even have any connection to the team. I guess the people that go to games with mates here and include a pub visit get to experience this side of it on a lesser scale. But then this is entertainment that isn't necessarily directly related to the football itself.

Football when played well is extremely entertaining.
Agree with this, but it's rare there's even one team in the league playing well enough for this to be the case, which again has to be pretty damning of football.

No fans is a compromise of the sport, let’s be honest.
There was definitely a realisation when crowds went that it's just a bunch of young lads kicking a ball around. I mentioned this at the time and some agreed with me. It's like the fans make it seem more important and a bigger deal than it really is. The atmosphere and reactions do add to the entertainment of course too.

I grew up watching us in the 90’s and spent my 20’s watching us win in the 2000’s. So I don’t think football will ever get better for me, even if we suddenly became incredible and won 5 league and CL’s in a row, it’ll never top those formative years.
Do feel there was a golden era for football, and not just because we were so good during a large part of it. Teams filled with icons and big personalities all over Europe. Flowing, aggressive football without everyone concentrating on stats. More flair because of this (someone made a thread on this recently). People say it's just nostalgia but I don't think it is.

Last edited:

lilcurt

My enjoyment as u have gotten older comes from the football communities aim a part of and banter with mates. I find watching us for the last 3 or 4 years somewhat of a chore or duty. I wouldn't change it as the club is a part of me but I don't really see it as enjoyment sadly.

Zen86

There used to be a magic about European games, because some star players you'd never seen play before, like the Milan or Real Madrid stars. Now you can read, watch and know their every movement before they play us.

You're right that there were just as many bad games in the 90s and 00s but they weren't on TV so some TV producer kindly broke it down to 5 minutes for you and you just continued with your day.
CL games in the late 90s were magic, there was such a special feel to them. It’s been heavily over-commoditised since and has become just as mundane as the domestic leagues are now. Like you say, it was full of special players and teams had unique identities. There were actually personalities as well.

Cassidy

I agree, but I think the type of player have actually improved. CBs are expected to play from the back, fullbacks expected to attack, wingers to score goals and strikers to distribute the game as well. We have more complete players today than 10-20 years ago.

Also I remember reading about how the goal tally is steady diminishing each year in football, I think that obviously hurts the expectable and thats because low teams are more organized than before and its harder to break defenses today that what it was before.
Fullbacks were always expected to attack in good sides. The isssue is back then the top ones could defend as well as they could attack.

And maybe you miss what I mean by entertainer as a player. We dont really have Ronaldinho, Okocha, Haji, Rui Costa etc etc type players these days. Every world cup you used to see a new party trick from at least a couple of players. That doesnt happen anymore. Basically flair is being driven out of the game by the efficiencies that have been made.

A 0-0 or a 1-0 can be very entertaining its not about the scoreline to be honest

SAFMUTD

Fullbacks were always expected to attack in good sides. The isssue is back then the top ones could defend as well as they could attack.

And maybe you miss what I mean by entertainer as a player. We dont really have Ronaldinho, Okocha, Haji, Rui Costa etc etc type players these days. Every world cup you used to see a new party trick from at least a couple of players. That doesnt happen anymore. Basically flair is being driven out of the game by the efficiencies that have been made.

A 0-0 or a 1-0 can be very entertaining its not about the scoreline to be honest
Yes the very best attacked and defended, but know its expected to pretty much everything. The CB and RB position improved, players are expected to be more than defenders.

I get your point about flair, and yes that has been slowly vanished. But we still have Messi, Cristiano, Neymar, Dybala and this kind of fair players. Anyway its an opinion there are no hard truths about this, but I think football has greatly improved and will continue to do so.

Spoony

The People's President
There used to be a magic about European games, because some star players you'd never seen play before, like the Milan or Real Madrid stars. Now you can read, watch and know their every movement before they play us.

You're right that there were just as many bad games in the 90s and 00s but they weren't on TV so some TV producer kindly broke it down to 5 minutes for you and you just continued with your day.

Really?? 80s and 90s, yes...but it's been like this post 2000s. I think it's fairly simple we've been shite since Fergie left, we've lost everything he built, add the fact there's no spectators anymore, so yeah it's not difficult to see why some fans can't get excited. I know City fans who've lost interest post Covid as well. So probably a combination of a couple of things. LVG killed my enthusiasm for the damn game.

Cassidy

Yes the very best attacked and defended, but know its expected to pretty much everything. The CB and RB position improved, players are expected to be more than defenders.

I get your point about flair, and yes that has been slowly vanished. But we still have Messi, Cristiano, Neymar, Dybala and this kind of fair players. Anyway its an opinion there are no hard truths about this, but I think football has greatly improved and will continue to do so.
Maybe in the PL CB and fullbacks improved. But these ball playing CBs and attacking fullbacks were the bedrock of total footballing sides back then too. In terms of CBs Im not sure they actually do more with the way teams defend now either.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Football is only boring if you equate excitement to running.

Football is less fast paced and more intricate but I enjoy watching a team try and solve a defensive puzzle.

Cassidy

Football is only boring if you equate excitement to running.

Football is less fast paced and more intricate but I enjoy watching a team try and solve a defensive puzzle.
The game is faster now isnt it? And players run alot more too

432JuanMata

I don’t get this ? Some games you see are as entertaining as anything in life. Yeah football is one of those things where it can go from awful to amazing.

432JuanMata

How many? A pretty small percentage, I'd suggest
When the PL started this season the average goals per game was 3.9 for the first few weeks there was great games. Pool vs Leeds, Us vs Southampton, Fulham vs Leeds, Us and Brighton. Villa vs Liverpool. There is loads of games if you don’t just watch United. Our games overall aren’t the best bar a few

Lentwood

Yes.

I’ve said this many times - we watch it because we’ve been emotionally invested for years but I can’t see a new generation of fans wanting to see a sport which is dominated by ten-men blocks vs tumescent side-to-side passing

The game needs a shake-up to make it much harder to defend deep

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When the PL started this season the average goals per game was 3.9 for the first few weeks there was great games. Pool vs Leeds, Us vs Southampton, Fulham vs Leeds, Us and Brighton. Villa vs Liverpool. There is loads of games if you don’t just watch United. Our games overall aren’t the best bar a few
A handful of games out of hundreds still isn't a great percentage though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The funny thing is, watching football has never been that social for me. I used to go a lot with my dad, which was great and I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's obviously not as fun as having a beer and being silly with your mates. This factor seems to be amplified in Europe. Having experienced standing with a beer in the stadium during a great comeback by Stuttgart, I realised just how much fun it can really be, and I didn't even have any connection to the team. I guess the people that go to games with mates here and include a pub visit get to experience this side of it on a lesser scale.
Yeah it's the things surrounding the 90 minute game that makes it worthwhile for me. Travelling to away games etc. It doesn't have to be at the game itself, though that would be preferable, but being with your mates before and after the game, whilst obviously watching the game together is what makes football special. I know it's not the same for everyone but that's how I've consumed my football since I was in school. I have learnt to get used to watching it on my own in the last 12 months, so I don't find football terrible at the moment, but I don't get particularly excited for games either.

Judas

Open to offers
The rush that football can provide as an entertainment source simply can't be beaten for me. It's not always brilliant, but when it is, amazing. I'm happy its part of my life.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don't know about you but I still like it. Maybe my standards have dropped, but for me football is not all about winning and enjoying every game, if it were that I'd support City. It's more about supporting the team, talking to friends, being nervous when a game is on, etc. If you are neutral, it's quite boring overall, yeah.
Yeh I’m with you. I never find Utd boring as I’m too nervous and I’m willing every pass into a man. It’s the passion that pulls me through. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we can play better because we can and we have under Ole but I’m rarely bored.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The rush that football can provide as an entertainment source simply can't be beaten for me. It's not always brilliant, but when it is, amazing. I'm happy its part of my life.
No other entertainment comes close in that department. The lows are depressing, but boy are the highs high.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeh I’m with you. I never find Utd boring as I’m too nervous and I’m willing every pass into a man. It’s the passion that pulls me through. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we can play better because we can and we have under Ole but I’m rarely bored.
I can relate to this too. Chelsea games will never be truly boring for me because I'm too emotionally invested in the outcome.

Withnail

We're 2nd in one of, if not the best league in the world in top flight football, and yet for the majority of this season we've been pretty unenjoyable to watch.

This has to be pretty damning of football, doesn't it?

Sure, there's the occasional great game or epic moment, but they're pretty rare in the grand scheme of things, aren't they?
To be honest this is down to covid, I feel. Games behind closed doors are shit and have always been shit.

There's no such thing as great games or epic moments without crowds.

Nothing really feels important and there's no real feeling of jeopardy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
To be honest this is down to covid, I feel. Games behind closed doors are shit and have always been shit.

There's no such thing as great games or epic moments without crowds.

Nothing really feels important and there's no real feeling of jeopardy.
Crowds definitely add to the entertainment factor but is the fact they’re needed also quite damning of football itself?

kidbob

Of the sports I watch regularly in terms of consistent entertainment it goes Hurling > Gaelic Football > MMA > Rugby > Football. Now arguably hurling is the most exciting sport in the World and their is a personal connection to gaelic football, having played it to a high level when I was younger and also getting to support your actual local team. In saying that I certainly wouldn't say football is boring or overrated but just has a tendency to not be as high octane as the other sports I watch. Also the game has gone much more tactical as less about flair. However if you take, for example, our game against Leeds earlier in the season then football can be absolutely incredible entertainment.

Funnily enough as a United fan the last thing I'd call us this season is boring. I think sometimes fans brand poor performances as boring when they really aren't. The sheer amount of comebacks we've had, the late goals we have conceded, the Fred red card screwing us against PSG, the absolutely stupid goals we've given away and the decent amount of excellent performances means we've probably only had a handful of 'boring' games this season unless you believe that every loss or draw we have is boring.

Edit: now in a way, as good as they are, City are tediously boring because a lot of the time their games aren't competitive at all.

passing-wind

I absolutely agree combination of an influx of negative managers, too much money involved causing caution, not enough risk being taken tactically. Absolute bore fest. From my generation growing up remember early 2000's cracking fixtures, also enjoyed our 2007 alongside Barcelona's 09 teams. City however have been a good watch in the highlights etc I've seen. It's largely dependent on individual coaches.

This is definitely a theme however I've had this discussion with different rival fans it's a ongoing trend. Will only get worse.

Withnail

Crowds definitely add to the entertainment factor but is the fact they’re needed also quite damning of football itself?
Well no I don't think so.

The players are so used to playing in front of crowds and they feed off it and it seems they just can't get up to the same level of motivation behind closed doors.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Not to me. I love sports in general too. Now I am learning more about rugby and volleyball. If sports ceased to exist my life would be miserable

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I watch an insane amount of sport these days and I am watching the least amount of football that I have done in the last 2 decades . Football just doesn't do it for me anymore. I sit through United games but can hardly ever watch the full 90 otherwise.

Dookingham United

Yes it absolutely is - Money is the biggest problem. The players are paid so much money that performance doesn't matter really. Only a tiny percentage of players, ie Ronaldo play more for achievement than the paycheck anymore. You play for Man Utd then you have achieved success, winning trophies is the bonus.

And VAR. Oh god talk about the worst thing to happen to any sport. We can only hope that they have a plan to improve that absolute joke of a system...again all to protect the business not the sport or the spectacle.

Sad.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s underrated tbh. People don’t quite grasp how deeply rooted people are to football in their day to day life. It is entertaining on so many levels. To many it’s part of their identity and purpose.

Exactly. That's why I can't even be bothered about us not winning anything when there aren't crowds, just seems pointless and hollow. My reaction to Liverpool winning was just "right".
I kind of agree. It clearly isn't the same, but pointless? tell that to the likes of Rangers fans and Liverpool fans last season.

Deery

Dreary
We’re just missing a superstar player that would get you excited about watching every week like an Mbappe or Haaland.

We’ve always had superstars that got you out of your seat like Rooney, Van Persie, Ronaldo, Cantona etc.

If the Glazers were being anyway truthful they’d buy Kane or something instead of penny pinching.

I kind of agree. It clearly isn't the same, but pointless? tell that to the likes of Rangers fans and Liverpool fans last season.
I don't know any Rangers fans, but the Liverpool fans I know seem to be a bit underwhelmed by finally winning the PL when it was under these conditions. That's not a dig at them, I don't blame them. Would be the same for me, I think.