Is Fred the worst regular starter for United in living memory?

Teja

Exactly. Top player when he's more advanced, awful when he's deep
This. The only doubt in my mind is if he can find the right pass when his pressure inevitably succeeds under Rangnick in the attacking 3rd. He did against Villareal. Didn't against Chelsea.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Exactly. Top player when he's more advanced, awful when he's deep
He does everything at 100 miles an hour - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Further up the pitch it's a huge asset. We've seen that over the last two games.

ivaldo

This. The only doubt in my mind is if he can find the right pass when his pressure inevitably succeeds under Rangnick in the attacking 3rd. He did against Villareal. Didn't against Chelsea.
Did against Arsenal. :D

The United

He is probably the worst regular starter for United.

But he usually ends as the best at the end of the games though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's very good in the right set up

SirScholes

You guys need to have a look at your biases then. He was fairly high up in the MoTM poll after the Chelsea game and I think the majority opinion was that he has been great.
Ah well then, must of been exceptional then

the only defence he gets is
A - he runs around
B - he’s better than the other midfielders

I see you opted for option B

still doesn’t make him a good player, he’s maybe above average and that’s it

SER19

His first half was as bad as I've seen. Excellent second but can't be motm with half of it like that

Rossa

Enigma of a player. Some great touches and plays. Sets up our first goal and gets a pen for also making a good run. He also made some nice interceptions, and as always he played better in the second half. However, he is also sometimes very loose in possession and sometimes makes is unable to make the easiest passes. Overall an important contribution today, but weird.

tomaldinho1

He does everything at 100 miles an hour - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Further up the pitch it's a huge asset. We've seen that over the last two games.
Yep. Mistakes don’t matter and he’s so difficult to escape - little Duracell fuelled pastor. I reckon RR’s short term plan will be 4222 with Bruno and Fred in the middle 2.

The White Pele

I voted him man of the match and then immediately wondered if taking out your own goalkeeper from a corner, allowing the opposition an open goal, should automatically rule him out?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's a very good player from the half way line to the edge of the opposition box. A DM he isn't.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I voted him man of the match and then immediately wondered if taking out your own goalkeeper from a corner, allowing the opposition an open goal, should automatically rule him out?
Nope. He was my motm too

2nd half he was terrific

ivaldo

Yep. Mistakes don’t matter and he’s so difficult to escape - little Duracell fuelled pastor. I reckon RR’s short term plan will be 4222 with Bruno and Fred in the middle 2.
That's a fecking nightmare for any midfield. I'm really excited.

RUCK4444

He’s the first midfielders name on the team sheet in this squad.

That says something about our midfield however he’s better than a lot give him credit for and has been involved in some key goals for us recently.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not a DM, as we all knew. Carrick has given him freedom to operate and get up and down the pitch whilst denoting McTominay as the holding player. This plays to Fred's strengths and he has done well the last couple of games, although still prone to stupid mistakes and gifts to the opposition.

Lecland07

Fred pretty much won the match, so I don't see how it is absurd that he could be chosen for Man of the Match.

Aside from the assist and the penalty, he created some other great opportunities: pass through to Telles in the box; winning the ball before Ronaldo was too greedy; starting the counter attack with Sancho in the second half etc.

Litch

Thought he looked very nervous and wasnt great first half but he wasn't alone. That said contributed to the win with both goals. Tale of two Freds but we lose that game without him....

Someone

Something
What are people drinking thinking he's motm? He isn't a bad player, and will always work hard and make a great block or tackle here and there, but no top club can tolerate the amount of mistakes he makes. He'd be a great midtable player, but if we want to challenge, there's no room for constant mistakes. Every pass he misplaces in midfield puts creates an instant opportunity for the opposition.

Aint gota Kalou

I've always rated him. He has some shocking moments which are comically bad and these stick in the mind but generally he's our best midfielder.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't particularly rate him bit he isn't even the worst player in the McFred partnership.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If you’re looking for the worst, check your memories for Schneiderlin.

Teja

Ah well then, must of been exceptional then

the only defence he gets is
A - he runs around
B - he’s better than the other midfielders

I see you opted for option B

still doesn’t make him a good player, he’s maybe above average and that’s it
Whatever man. If you can't admit he was good against Chelsea, then we're way too far apart. The point I was making was a very narrow one, I don't want to get into the Fred is good or bad debate, you can write volumes about it and it still won't be resolved. My argument was a very narrow response to this post:

My biggest issue with him is the good stuff he does, harrying and winning the ball back, is undone by how often he fails at that task and leaves midfield wide open. This is obviously compounded by his partner having no clue where to position himself either.
He does go up high to pressure and players do often beat his pressure which leaves a wide open gap in midfield they can attack into. I'm just saying you can plug that by playing a DM behind him and continuing to utilize him high up the pitch.

acnumber9

Whatever man. If you can't admit he was good against Chelsea, then we're way too far apart. The point I was making was a very narrow one, I don't want to get into the Fred is good or bad debate, you can write volumes about it and it still won't be resolved. My argument was a very narrow response to this post:

He does go up high to pressure and players do often beat his pressure which leaves a wide open gap in midfield they can attack into. I'm just saying you can plug that by playing a DM behind him and continuing to utilize him high up the pitch.
Yeah but the only one we have is Matic. And he can’t play every game. So it’s a hindrance more often than it’s a benefit.

SirScholes

My issue is with the term “exceptional”

now I’m reading Fred, a ball winning mid needs another ball winning mid behind to cover for when he gets beaten
we need players with vision and ability on the ball man, we have enough foot soldiers

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Feck me sideways, what does he have to do for people to cut him some slack? That's two assists tonight and ultimately the difference between winning or losing.

Or he’s an awful player who belongs at another club once he can be replaced
I’d bet good money he absolutely feels the opposite. Fred can seriously press, like no other in this squad. He’ll need polishing and tactical fouling will be extremely important but I’d be amazed if RR doesn’t see him as important. I can’t see him playing so far back as he did with Ole though.

paulscholes18

Feck me sideways, what does he have to do for people to cut him some slack? That's two assists tonight and ultimately the difference between winning or losing.
Also played his part in both of Arsenal's goals.