Is Harry Kane better than Rooney?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It sounded like quite a niche sub-category of 9s Townsend was talking about. But then he mentions Sheringham who was much more of an archetypal second striker. And if you include Sheringham, does it not open the door to the likes of Bergkamp and Cantona who were far more gifted in the art of creating chances for others from the hole?

James Peril

Kane is very good, but he cannot be compared to Rooney. First of all they are different players, most importantly Rooney won titles and delivered at the top level for a top club. Would Kane do the same? Most likely. Would he handle the pressure of being at a top club? Who knows, we need to find out. Would his injuries and sometimes patchy form be acceptable at a top club? Maybe, maybe not over time.

As long as Kane doesn’t play for a top club, he will be forgotten as quickly as he appeared on stage a few years ago.

AdSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It sounded like quite a niche sub-category of 9s Townsend was talking about. But then he mentions Sheringham who was much more of an archetypal second striker. And if you include Sheringham, does it not open the door to the likes of Bergkamp and Cantona who were far more gifted in the art of creating chances for others from the hole?
it does but I don’t think Cantona, who was exceptional and Bergkamp ever consistently went over that 20 goal a season mark. Only really Rooney I can think of who had that creative instinct but also that consistent goal threat.

Gurtej

People have short memories…. To even compare is a crime…. To call Kane better, delusional

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Kane isn't even Tottenham's best ever striker, he's no where near Rooney's level

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I think trophies matter a lot in these discussions so Kane will always lose these comparisons. Some trophy snobs will just laugh him off.

For example, in Kane's best year he scored like 57 goals. A guy like Benzema can only dream of scoring that amount in a year, despite being in a much stronger team in a much weaker league.

But I saw most people rating Benzema above Rooney in that thread because he won CLs with Real as the 7th or 8th best player in his own team. Prime Kane is definitely a better individual than any version of Benzema.

Back to the topic, Prime Rooney edges it purely because of his willpower and bulldog mentality. Kane is bit of a soyboy. Hasn't really done much in the big stage. Kane badly needs a move to an elite club competing for the biggest pieces of silverware.

Righteous Steps

If we compare them at their peaks, Rooney was way better than Kane, this can't even be debatable.
Way better is the wrong phrase here.

And when was Rooneys peak? Since people keep saying Rooneys peak, would be interesting to here what seasons or season people say and if it’s comparable to Kane’s best.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Harry Kane is better as a pure 9 yes. Better goalscorer and finisher. And in recent years has become an excellent creator as his physical abilities have waned.

Rooney was much more explosive and a better all around forward. I also think he was more skilled than Kane in the different things he could do with the ball.

It's close, because I think Kane does get a bit underrated in the scheme of all time greats. But, I think Rooney edges it because of his success within miles better teams and his trophy cabinet. If Rooney was just given the car keys in a lesser team/club not looking to compete at the highest level I think his stats look much different and people wouldn't choose Kane.

MoskvaRed

Rooney was carrying a huge weight of expectation for club and country from being a teenager. At club level he was a key member of one of English football’s best ever sides. Kane is good but he plays in an average Spurs team and has never had to deal with the pressure of being expected to win all the time. Maybe Kane could have performed at that very top level but we will never know.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think trophies matter a lot in these discussions so Kane will always lose these comparisons. Some trophy snobs will just laugh him off.

For example, in Kane's best year he scored like 57 goals. A guy like Benzema can only dream of scoring that amount in a year, despite being in a much stronger team in a much weaker league.

But I saw most people rating Benzema above Rooney in that thread because he won CLs with Real as the 7th or 8th best player in his own team. Prime Kane is definitely a better individual than any version of Benzema.

Back to the topic, Prime Rooney edges it purely because of his willpower and bulldog mentality. Kane is bit of a soyboy. Hasn't really done much in the big stage. Kane badly needs a move to an elite club competing for the biggest pieces of silverware.
This is not true and you know it. Those who rated Benzema above Rooney simply said it was because he's the better footballer, not because he won more CL.
I for example already said that I believe Kane is better, yet he's won nothing so far.

Righteous Steps

Prime Kane is definitely not a better individual than Benzema, are posters incapable of making statements without hyperbole?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
This is not true and you know it. Those who rated Benzema above Rooney simply said it was because he's the better footballer, not because he won more CL.
I for example already said that I believe Kane is better, yet he's won nothing so far.
Prime Kane is definitely not a better individual than Benzema, are posters incapable of making statements without hyperbole?
Wouldn't you say that at the very least Kane is a better finisher, goalscorer??

Kane has consistently been amazing as a number 9.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Kane will never be a better player than the 4th top scorer in the history of the UCL, and the beautiful thing is that Benzema achieved that while Ronaldo was the main target-man for Real Madrid, and playing as a second fiddle.
Harry Kane would have never scored 57 goals in a season if he has to play along Cristiano, the greatest goalscorer in history of Football, the ultimate goal machine.

Plus Kane never showed in the big stage, not even for NT as 99% his goals for England are when nothing was on the line against tier 3 national teams.

Kane might look a better striker than Benzema before Cristiano left Madrid, but he will never be a better player.

Rooney also suffered the side effects of playing along Ronaldo, which is why his goalscoring was lower while Ronaldo was at United.

Motorman

Rooney and its not close.

Special player in his early mid 20's. Had everything: pace, shooting, aggression, will to win, passing and then be added heading. Great great player

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Kane will never be a better player than the 4th top scorer in the history of the UCL, and the beautiful thing is that Benzema achieved that while Ronaldo was the main target-man for Real Madrid, and playing as a second fiddle.
Harry Kane would have never scored 57 goals in a season if he has to play along Cristiano, the greatest goalscorer in history of Football, the ultimate goal machine.

Plus Kane never showed in the big stage, not even for NT as 99% his goals for England are when nothing was on the line against tier 3 national teams.

Kane might look a better striker than Benzema before Cristiano left Madrid, but he will never be a better player.

Rooney also suffered the side effects of playing along Ronaldo, which is why his goalscoring was lower while Ronaldo was at United.
Why can't current Benzema in his peak replicate Prime Kane numbers with a stronger side in a weaker league??

What's the excuse now? Cristiano's ghost still wandering??

Kane simply a better goalscorer.

Sviken

Prime Rooney and Kane are not even on the same ballpark. What's next? Son vs Ronaldo?

D. Mungai

Peak Rooney was the best attacking force we've had since the turn of the decade. He forced the issue by himself.

His extra time goal against Milan, semi final, was Rooney at the peak of his powers.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This Kane in “that United side” would be a plodder.
You think a guy who has scored 23 goals on average in his last seven consecutive PL seasons at fecking Tottenham would look like a plodder in one of the most dominant PL sides of all time. An average that Rooney hit for the entirety of 2 seasons in his entire PL career. Sure.

I don't think he's better than Rooney was, for the record. But he wouldn't look out of place, even if it was just banging in goals left right and center.

Andersons Dietician

Kane is no where near Rooney in terms of quality. Seriously, think back to that Euros before he joined United. He was incredible.

GazTheLegend

You think a guy who has scored 23 goals on average in his last seven consecutive PL seasons at fecking Tottenham would look like a plodder in one of the most dominant PL sides of all time. An average that Rooney hit for the entirety of 2 seasons in his entire PL career. Sure.

I don't think he's better than Rooney was, for the record. But he wouldn't look out of place, even if it was just banging in goals left right and center.
I don't think he'd be a plodder obviously, he's a world class striker. But as I mentioned in the comment before, so was Ruud van Nistelrooy, and he got shipped out for the more fluid Ronaldo/Rooney/Saha front three anyway.

Righteous Steps

I don't think he'd be a plodder obviously, he's a world class striker. But as I mentioned in the comment before, so was Ruud van Nistelrooy, and he got shipped out for the more fluid Ronaldo/Rooney/Saha front three anyway.
You can’t compare Ruud’s all round game and Kane’s at all.

Bondi77

Depends on how you are defining "better", Kane has won absolutely nothing, sure he has a lot of personal accolades but his trophy haul is zero. Compare that to Rooney, 5 titles, a CL, FA cup, 4 or 5 League Cups, if the game isn't about winning things then, what is it about?

Stats wise there is no real comparison imo, Kane is simply better, Rooney only scored above 20 goals a season, kinda the bench mark for elite strikers, twice in his whole career, stats wise Kane is closer to Henry and Aguero for goal scoring exploits. He is destined to end up second on the all time goal scorers list behind Shearer. And much like Shearer will have won very little.

I'd extend this same argument to Drogba somewhat, stats wise I don't think he is anywhere near Kane, Drogba had two phenomenal seasons and a lot of average to good outside that. But look at his achievements in the game compared to Kane. 4 prem titles, 4 FA cups, 3 league cups, and a CL.
Teams win trophies...not individuals

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Teams win trophies...not individuals
Individuals contribute to that at times too though.

For all the hate that Gerrard gets on here he showed up regularly for Liverpool when they weren't a "World class side" on the way to winning silverware. How many times has Kane done that?

For example Kane has played on teams far better than the one that Gerrard pulled to the Champs League in 2005 but Kane has won absolutely nothing.

That's what separates him from the true "Greats" and that's why trophies matter in this debate.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Individuals contribute to that at times too though.

For all the hate that Gerrard gets on here he showed up regularly for Liverpool when they weren't a "World class side" on the way to winning silverware. How many times has Kane done that?

For example Kane has played on teams far better than the one that Gerrard pulled to the Champs League in 2005 but Kane has won absolutely nothing.

That's what separates him from the true "Greats" and that's why trophies matter in this debate.
This is fake news though. Gerrard didn't drag that team (he was arguably their best though if you want), and that Liverpool team was better than any Spurs team with Kane.

Gerrard was a great player but no need to over exaggerate his exploits.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Kane is the better goalscorer but Rooney was better in general play. They would have been an amazing strike partnership that's for sure, the closest thing to RVN.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
This is fake news though. Gerrard didn't drag that team (he was arguably their best though if you want), and that Liverpool team was better than any Spurs team with Kane.

Gerrard was a great player but no need to over exaggerate his exploits.
Fake news :lol: he absolutely did drag that team to that Final ( and scored in it).

Can you name that starting 11 and honestly compare it to the Kane team which included the likes of Son and Eriksen (Plus Lloris ,Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Walker/ Trippier, Dembele etc)?

That Liverpool side came 5th in the league for a start (58 points).

They are one of the (if not the worst) sides to win the champions league.

I'd even say that the side that Gerrard won the FA cup (He showed up in that final too) with was also worse than the best Tottenham side that Kane played in.

Kane is a great player but no need to exaggerate how "bad" he had it.

Last edited:

Bondi77

Fake news :lol: he absolutely did drag that team to that Final ( and scored in it).

Can you name that starting 11 and honestly compare it to the Kane team which included the likes of Son and Eriksen (Plus Lloris ,Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Walker/ Trippier, Dembele etc)?

That Liverpool side came 5th in the league for a start (58 points).

They are one of the (if not the worst) sides to win the champions league.

I'd even say that the side that Gerrard won the FA cup (He showed up in that final too) with was also worse than the best Tottenham side that Kane played in.

Kane is a great player but no need to exaggerate how "bad" he had it.
That Spurs team were better than that Liverpool side and let us not forget the Chmps League is a Cup competition where anything can happen.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
That Spurs team were better than that Liverpool side and let us not forget the Chmps League is a Cup competition where anything can happen.
Of course mate and that's why it's important that in cup competitions that your big players show up when they are needed (No matter how good the team is cause as you correctly stated anything can happen).

My point is that the true "greats" make things happen, they don't sit around at Spurs waiting for it to happen.

He's a great player but not on Rooneys level.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Romney’s ceiling was higher and he was better when he was younger. When he first came on the scene he was a talent of similar level to fat Ronaldo. However he got progressively worse as he aged and some games when off form he was really pretty low level,

Kane is almost the opposite as he’s getting better as he ages. As a team player his passing is often Kevin de bruyne-seque. He rarely makes sloppy mistakes and is more consistent than Rooney (in Rooneys later stage career.)

Assuming Kane continues like thus for a few more years I’ll say Kane owing to consistency. But prime Rooney had everything, I just don’t think we saw it for that many seasons.

Bondi77

Of course mate and that's why it's important that in cup competitions that your big players show up when they are needed (No matter how good the team is cause as you correctly stated anything can happen).

My point is that the true "greats" make things happen, they don't sit around at Spurs waiting for it to happen.

He's a great player but not on Rooneys level.
I agree

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

So much that I disagree with here. First of all, La Liga is not a 'much weaker league' than the PL. You could certainly make the case that the PL is stronger now, but for much of the last 15 years, the Spanish league has been ranked higher (in the coefficients).

Secondly, prime Kane is not definitely better than any version of Benzema. What's the reasoning for that conclusion? Benzema has over 400 career goals, despite the fact that he had to support Ronaldo for nearly a decade.

On the subject of Kane v Rooney, I think Wayne is the better all round player.