Is Harry Maguire now in the same position as Beckham in 1998?

NYAS

The hate on this forum towards our own players is something else.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The hate on this forum towards our own players is something else.
It’s bizarre. He’s clearly a guy who is struggling. Imagine the absolute shit he sees day in and day out on his social media’s too

Bojan11

Stupid thread.

Beckham played well for us and he was hated by other clubs fans. Most the hate for Maguire comes from our own fans.

So it’s nowhere near the same situation. But the thread creator just likes to cause a stir always. @esmufc07 you need to sort him out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sadly, I think you might be right. So much of sport is about confidence and if gets hit hard enough to shatter, not many players can piece it back together.

It many ways it's the opposite of Van Djik. He's a great defender obviously, but his initial form at Liverpool kind of mothballed into an invincible shield.
Good comparison, I agree entirely. Confidence is so important in football.

It’s almost a “fake it till you make it” mentality and once you’re flying that high mentally you just can’t be stopped. I think something similar happened to Jamie Vardy — you don’t just randomly go from lower league journeyman to a (soon to be) all time top 20 PL scoring striker in the blink of an eye.

Can only imagine how shot Maguire’s confidence must be, but Ole can’t afford to mollycoddle him in any way because he’s fighting for his position in an even more desperate manner.

Chief123

After the world Cup David Beckham was public enemy no.1 because of the media.

Now Maguire could find himself in a similar position.

Beckham was backed by United fans and the club and bounced back and repair his reputation.

Now Maguire is down in the dumps, has a funny shaped head and is playing awfully.

Is it fair to say he's in a similar position and is there any hope for him?
World Cup and a glorified friendly. Totally different situations mate.

95% of the country was watching the World Cup game.
95% of football fans probably aren’t even watching this game.

RC89

No because Beckham was actually class. How long do you back a liability?

Cloud7

Tbf when Beckham kicked Someone it was a bit "his own" doing too.
Let s not forget that Beckham and Maguire are humans and humans committ errors too.
And if we want to help him get back on track, us United fans should United and support him. And not celebrating his errors like ABUs are doing
That's fair enough, but Beckham was painted as the downfall of the national team. No one has painted Maguire in that light or anything close to it.

dev1l

That's fair enough, but Beckham was painted as the downfall of the national team. No one has painted Maguire in that light or anything close to it.
True. It s a useless tournament but media will still create some fuss

jesperjaap

After the world Cup David Beckham was public enemy no.1 because of the media.

Now Maguire could find himself in a similar position.

Beckham was backed by United fans and the club and bounced back and repair his reputation.

Now Maguire is down in the dumps, has a funny shaped head and is playing awfully.

Is it fair to say he's in a similar position and is there any hope for him?
Only similarity is he got sent off. Nowhere near the hate Beckham got as he was blamed for us being out of a world cup, not essentially a friendly tournament that is meaningless. Also Beckham was the darling of the media and doesnt have a funny shaped head.....though why you are even mentioning that makes your post to start a thread even more diabolical

GlasgowCeltic

Beckhams response to the abuse was phenomenal, best season of his career up to that point. Ronaldo did the same in 06 don’t forget.

KW2006

Beckham is a proper player, and a tough guy. So no comparisons.

Last edited:

ti vu

No.

You must be having a laugh to compare. Becks got a red card, and was scapegoat for England exit at World Cup. He's very good and unique player. Even at his worst, I don't see how Becks was ever that bad. Then Treble happened.

Maguire has never been that good. This season, he's in disastrous form. The Greece incident is about all his off the pitch issue, but he let it affect his performance. His career would be over if he's the target of witch hunt that Ronaldo and Becks went through, the way Maguire is coping with this situation.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This thread is a bit laughable. Beckham had rival fans hanging effigies of his family. Maguire has had nothing but sympathy from both United and England supporters.

If Maguire had Beckham's mentality he'd be putting in 9/10s every week. He deserves sympathy but he's not the first lad to get into bother abroad.

If he needs a break cos it's too much for him, fine. Let's not be comparing apples and pears though.

Bojan11

This thread is a bit laughable. Beckham had rival fans hanging effigies of his family. Maguire has had nothing but sympathy from both United and England supporters.

If Maguire had Beckham's mentality he'd be putting in 9/10s every week. He deserves sympathy but he's not the first lad to get into bother abroad.

If he needs a break cos it's too much for him, fine. Let's not be comparing apples and pears though.
Agree mate. @horsechoker you are laughable and stop creating reactionary threads.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The shit Beckham got was vile. Never supported England after that.

Maguire's issues will thankfully not compare to the abuse Beckham got

Renegade

Ronaldo 06 is the closest you’ll get to a Beckham situation.

R77

Apart from the fact they're both United players that got sent off in an international game, there's no correlation whatsever.

Bojan11

Apart from the fact they're both United players that got sent off in an international game, there's no correlation whatsever.
Yeah, but logic doesn’t get in the way of @horsechoker creating stupid threads.

Couldn't resist an opportunity to stick the knife in.
Should have joined my team, when I told you to. Now I am going to milk this and turn everyone against you.

crossy1686

career ending
Beckham was a world class player. Ronaldo was in the same position as Beckham after wink-gate.

Maguire is just getting found out now he's playing at apparently the top level.

tomaldinho1

Big difference between a World Cup quarter final v Argentina and a Nations League game v Denmark.

Maguire isn't public enemy number one. He's a laughing stock and a another stick to poke United with.

Not my opinions by the way. Just the way he's treated by opposition fans.
Exactly. I also don't expect Real to come sniffing around Maguire :lol:

Untd55

Nope because the hate that Maguire receives is from his club's own fans.
I see this word 'hate' being thrown around on here, but are you sure you are not reading that into comments yourself?

Saying someone isn't good is not hate, and a player has no divine right to being supported. Why would I be so supportive of him? If he is not good enough, he is not good enough. Support and belief aren't going to magically make him into a better player. If he wants supports, he should go to his family; I'm not going to put in much effort.

Yeah, you get people swearing, but that is not hate; that is lack of class.

You get the freaks on Twitter and stuff, but as soon as you sign up to that trash you are asking for it. It is the collective zone of knobheads, so is it really that surprising?

U99ted

Tbf when Beckham kicked Someone it was a bit "his own" doing too.
Let s not forget that Beckham and Maguire are humans and humans committ errors too.
And if we want to help him get back on track, us United fans should United and support him. And not celebrating his errors like ABUs are doing
The proverb goes, “You can take a donkey to the river, but you can’t force it to drink water”. As human fans with human emotions, we continue to support the club and its players. If we don’t laugh at least a little bit, we’d be crying at this point. We don’t actually kick the ball on the pitch for them, so when will Maguire and co. begin to do their part?