Is it me or everyone is overrating Lingard's movement?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
While Lingard undoubtedly has an alarmingly juvenile personality, and an extraordinarily punchable face - he is a better player than people give him credit for. I like him as a squad player. His movement IS good, as is his workrate. And he has moments of excellent quality on the ball. Especially running at tired defences.

Ultimately he is not consistent enough to ever be a top player, and he should never be considered a starter for us. But again, the season is long and you need decent, dedicated players to get you through the plethora of games - including the EL. Jessie is ideal for that.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
While Lingard undoubtedly has an alarmingly juvenile personality, and an extraordinarily punchable face - he is a better player than people give him credit for. I like him as a squad player. His movement IS good, as is his workrate. And he has moments of excellent quality on the ball. Especially running at tired defences.

Ultimately he is not consistent enough to ever be a top player, and he should never be considered a starter for us. But again, the season is long and you need decent, dedicated players to get you through the plethora of games - including the EL. Jessie is ideal for that.
Agree with this. He’d also be useful if we ever need to close down teams to keep a lead.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac

Swap deal with Ronaldo.

On a serious note, yeah, He's decent, definitely can be a squad player. I reckon if He's a shy and humble personality, He'll be a fan favorite ala Fletcher. His antics don't match up with his ability.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not at all, and i'd go further, he's probably most appreciated by fans that have actually played the game to a decent level and/or have been fortunate enough to watch him 'live' and not just on the box or a laptop/tablet.
I've watched him live on many occasions too thanks, and often see him hiding not wanting the ball. And nice try at a passive aggresive comment you div.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I've watched him live on many occasions too thanks, and often see him hiding not wanting the ball. And nice try at a passive aggresive comment you div.
Good for you, and if you don't rate him fine, but you must admit watching 'live' you pick up on stuff(oft the important stuff)that is missed by those watching on the box/online which applies to 99% of those that comment on this and other forums, yeah?

(Hugs)

Aouer-United

Ståle Solbakken (Danish Copenhagen FC head of coaches) on Lingard

“As we talked about before the match, I think Lingard has played his part in this team.

“I can’t remember the last time I saw Jesse Lingard playing a good match, I actually can’t.

“He is truly an Achilles heel for this United team.

“He should be in between the lines, feed the striker with smart passes, run in behind. He has a very central role in the team, because he has kind of a free role behind the striker, he should be an important link in the team.

“But if you notice today, he never combines with his teammates, nor does he run in behind, Rashford has to do this every single time.”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

“As we talked about before the match, I think Lingard has played his part in this team.

“I can’t remember the last time I saw Jesse Lingard playing a good match, I actually can’t.

“He should be in between the lines, feed the striker with smart passes, run in behind. He has a very central role in the team, because he has kind of a free role behind the striker, he should be an important link in the team.

“But if you notice today, he never combines with his teammates, nor does he run in behind, Rashford has to do this every single time.”
Why is he at total random talking about a player in our team?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
This was absolutely the case on Monday night. Hiding behind Arsenal players and aimlessly putting his hand up 'asking' for the ball.

Le Red

Definitely not everyone. Just a handful of people who try to act like they know football better than the rest.
It's like modern art critics who claim the ignorant masses can't understand the brilliance of a white canvas with a shitstain on it.

TRUERED89

I used to defend this guy so much, made me look a right mug during 2019 :lol:. He's just hiding between/behind oppo players these days so he doesn't have to receive the ball. Completely ghosting through the game, how is Ole not noticing this..

Andersons Dietician

He’s never had good movement. Problem is people don’t know the difference between running a lot and good movement. He was closing space and hiding behind people even when he had his purple patch of form. He’s simply not a first team player and probably doesn’t have the right attitude or temperament to be a 2nd stringer.

caid

It can be very good at times. Not consistently every week or even every minute of the match. Its been poor recently.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He is the first footballer I’ve seen where his “off the ball” movement is actually “away from the ball” movement, takes the term “silent domination” to a whole new level.

John Blund

Jesse had 19 successful passes against Arsenal. 19/20 - 95 % accuracy. Which is really good. Then if you look behind the numbers:
4 to Pereira, one created chance pass.
4 to Tuanzebe.
4 backpasses to McT
3 to James.
3 square to Pogba
1 to Lindelöf.

Rashford could spend a lifetime playing striker ahead of Jesse without ever touching the ball. "But perhaps Jesse is shooting instead of going for the killer pass to Rash?", you might think? Nope. JLings doesn't shot. No shots got fired from Jlingz that day.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
In what context is Solbakken talking about Lingard? He's on the money to be fair, but what's it got to do with him?

Bwuk

He was probably a pundit for a United game or something.

Greck

Might want to question the genius who's bright idea it was to have him play Number 10. Goodness gracious.

Another one whose movement gets overrated is Rashford. He only really knows how to make one run (through the channels). In most other situations he has no clue where to be to maximise his talent

Reddevil1978

He should be sold ASAP. Hes 27 in December and still not good enough to start for United, hes not even good enough for squad depth. And has just been dropped from the England squad.

Denis79

Jesse had 19 successful passes against Arsenal. 19/20 - 95 % accuracy. Which is really good. Then if you look behind the numbers:
4 to Pereira, one created chance pass.
4 to Tuanzebe.
4 backpasses to McT
3 to James.
3 square to Pogba
1 to Lindelöf.

Rashford could spend a lifetime playing striker ahead of Jesse without ever touching the ball. "But perhaps Jesse is shooting instead of going for the killer pass to Rash?", you might think? Nope. JLings doesn't shot. No shots got fired from Jlingz that day.
He's a mediocre quality player without confidence, no surprise he doesn't attempt anything that isn't the easiest option available.

King_Cantona07

Sure, he runs a lot but is it really effective or he's just headless chicken who running and screaming for the ball?

His movement didn't create chances for himself and didn't get into a good shooting position often, compared to the likes of Mason Greenwood who moved so smartly and timed perfectly with a run. Mason Greenwood has done more than Lingard with movements to get chances in just two games

I am struggling to remember last time when Lingard get into shoot position with his movement to score?

I was wondering what people see in his movement? Because I don't

Lingard doesn’t scream for ball. He runs to avoid ball being passed to him not to make opportunities. Haven’t got this yet ? Nobody rates him honestly.

romufc

I used to defend this guy so much, made me look a right mug during 2019 :lol:. He's just hiding between/behind oppo players these days so he doesn't have to receive the ball. Completely ghosting through the game, how is Ole not noticing this..
Same here... I thought when he broke in under LVG he looked sharp linking play up, now I am thinking what did I see in him?

TRUERED89

Same here... I thought when he broke in under LVG he looked sharp linking play up, now I am thinking what did I see in him?
After the Emirates FA Cup win he's literally hit a brick wall? When was his last goal, Cardiff in December ?

Edit: He scored at Emirates in Jan...

Last edited:

romufc

After the Emirates FA Cup win he's literally hit a brick wall? When was his last goal, Cardiff in December ?

Edit: He scored at Emirates in Jan...
Yep, this is the thing Ole keeps showing faith in a man who clearly needs some time out the first team. Just because he played him in the reserves he has a soft spot for Lingard.

We are taking this No 10 slot as a casual slot instead of one which links our play up? The reason we do not create is we seem to play with 10 men on the ball

TRUERED89

Yep, this is the thing Ole keeps showing faith in a man who clearly needs some time out the first team. Just because he played him in the reserves he has a soft spot for Lingard.

We are taking this No 10 slot as a casual slot instead of one which links our play up? The reason we do not create is we seem to play with 10 men on the ball
Why cant Pogba play CAM, really winds me up. Stick JLingz on the bloody right if he MUST start.. Ole's gone to sh!t playing him as a CDM and its only going to keep backfiring..

romufc

Why cant Pogba play CAM, really winds me up. Stick JLingz on the bloody right if he MUST start.. Ole's gone to sh!t playing him as a CDM and its only going to keep backfiring..
Pogba played as CDM is because he is the only player who can pass forward, and the style he wants to play which is counter attack, Pogba is the only player who can play a long pass.

PTSTSL

Sadly when he plays it's like having only 10men but without the entertainment of a sending off.

Maybe he's hit his peak, he'll be remembered for the west ham away bus video, stupid celebrations, and a ridiculous clothing line, not for anything he's done on the pitch. He has done good things on the pitch, but I can't remember any.

Apart from that... great player, really like him in the team.

TRUERED89

Pogba played as CDM is because he is the only player who can pass forward, and the style he wants to play which is counter attack, Pogba is the only player who can play a long pass.
Ole (as manager) & Pogba's best performances have come when he has played CAM, it doesn't make sense to me to play him deep, he loses the ball in dangerous places and doesn't do the defensive duties at all. Stick Fred and McT behind him and unleash the guy closer to the oppo's damn goal, we cant create shit currently..

Remember the amazing run with Herrera and Matic behind him? We need to get back to that setup ASAP!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is the football's version of Microsoft clippy

romufc

Ole (as manager) & Pogba's best performances have come when he has played CAM, it doesn't make sense to me to play him deep, he loses the ball in dangerous places and doesn't do the defensive duties at all. Stick Fred and McT behind him and unleash the guy closer to the oppo's damn goal, we cant create shit currently..
Agreed, but our manager seems to think otherwise and keeps experimenting with Lingard, Perreira etc..

Hawks2008

Never presents for the ball and instead runs away from it, but he looks busy and he's from the academy so he gets assigned traits like 'good movement' and 'desire' by the media and his fanboys.

Totally bland and limited footballer.

TRUERED89

Agreed, but our manager seems to think otherwise and keeps experimenting with Lingard, Perreira etc..
Pogba will never be a Pirlo, Carrick, Busquets type player, he needs to be near the strikers, he's to lackadaisical and will continue looking sh!t if played there as a CDM. Against Arsenal he immediately looked a threat once Fred came on and joined McT. It really is a no-brainer.

romufc

Pogba will never be a Pirlo, Carrick, Busquets type player, he needs to be near the strikers, he's to lackadaisical and will continue looking sh!t if played there as a CDM. Against Arsenal he immediately looked a threat once Fred came on and joined McT. It really is a no-brainer.
No way because Pogba is too talented to be that player, he is someone who wants to beat a man and is not one to control the tempo of the game. We would rather see him beat a man closer to the opponents goal where he can work a yard and shoot rather than work a yard to go back to the CB.. and if he loses it upfield there is 5 men behind him

TRUERED89

No way because Pogba is too talented to be that player, he is someone who wants to beat a man and is not one to control the tempo of the game. We would rather see him beat a man closer to the opponents goal where he can work a yard and shoot rather than work a yard to go back to the CB.. and if he loses it upfield there is 5 men behind him
Exactly this! #FreePogba