Is it me or everyone is overrating Lingard's movement?

DoomSlayer

Pogba will never be a Pirlo, Carrick, Busquets type player, he needs to be near the strikers, he's to lackadaisical and will continue looking sh!t if played there as a CDM. Against Arsenal he immediately looked a threat once Fred came on and joined McT. It really is a no-brainer.
How was Pogba a threat? All I saw was a player that has no idea where to position himself and who to press.

TRUERED89

How was Pogba a threat? All I saw was a player that has no idea where to position himself and who to press.
Don't you agree his best games have been as a CAM, particularly with Herrera and Matic behind him? Why cant we do that now with Fred & McT? Will it honestly be any worse than the boring garbage we've been seeing lately ?

DoomSlayer

Don't you agree his best games have been as a CAM, particularly with Herrera and Matic behind him? Why cant we do that now with Fred & McT? Will it honestly be any worse than the boring garbage we've been seeing lately ?
What you are describing is not a CAM but an advanced CM role in a 3-man midfield. I've never seen Pogba play well as a pure number 10, it's not his role and he loses a lot of what makes him an exceptional player, for example his long passing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As Doomslayer said, Pogba's best games have come in a three man midfield. He's the most attacking of the three, but I don't know if I'd class it as a CAM and definitely not a #10. He still constantly comes deep and tries to control from that area, but he just has that bit of extra freedom to charge forward either with or without the ball and force things to happen when the time is right. I could be wrong but I think Herrera's average position in a lot of those games was higher up the pitch than Pogba.

When he's actually played as a #10 he's generally been poor. He ends up playing with his back to goal and drifts out of the game, and it's quite obvious it's not natural for him.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was in Norway to provide punditry for Norwegian TV.
Aye fair enough. I should have known my first thought of him cutting across a journo's question about his team to criticise Lingard would be wide of the mark. As I said he's spot on about the player we've seen recently.

Ballist1x

Hes awful, movement, on the ball and off it.

He's in his prime years as a player right now too.

TRUERED89

As Doomslayer said, Pogba's best games have come in a three man midfield. He's the most attacking of the three, but I don't know if I'd class it as a CAM and definitely not a #10. He still constantly comes deep and tries to control from that area, but he just has that bit of extra freedom to charge forward either with or without the ball and force things to happen when the time is right. I could be wrong but I think Herrera's average position in a lot of those games was higher up the pitch than Pogba.

When he's actually played as a #10 he's generally been poor. He ends up playing with his back to goal and drifts out of the game, and it's quite obvious it's not natural for him.
Whatever you want to call the role, CAM, #10 or most advanced of midfield 3 that’s where he should be. Definitely shouldn’t be in a midfield 2 as a CDM anymore, complete waste of time.

Le Red

Good for you, and if you don't rate him fine, but you must admit watching 'live' you pick up on stuff(oft the important stuff)that is missed by those watching on the box/online which applies to 99% of those that comment on this and other forums, yeah?

(Hugs)
This a million times. Who do these plebs who watch games on TV think they are to make comments? It's as if they're watching another entirely different sport!
You are the 1% (that's not elitist at all). Maybe the 0.0012% even. You play a very important role in educating us ignorant armchair supporters.
Thanks for existing. We're not worthy.

PS. Everyone knows that the 98% of the time Jesse's off the ball is when the magic really happens. Oh, if we were not to be trapped in this Plato's Cave, we'd be flabbergasted!

Last edited:

Le Red

fecking TV, making people believe Messi is better than Lingard!

el3mel

I honestly can't think of any reason why will anyone still defend this lad. Looks kinda ridiculous to me.

pixel

While Lingard undoubtedly has an alarmingly juvenile personality, and an extraordinarily punchable face - he is a better player than people give him credit for. I like him as a squad player. His movement IS good, as is his workrate. And he has moments of excellent quality on the ball. Especially running at tired defences.

Ultimately he is not consistent enough to ever be a top player, and he should never be considered a starter for us. But again, the season is long and you need decent, dedicated players to get you through the plethora of games - including the EL. Jessie is ideal for that.
Practically our ENTIRE team is made up of squad players. Can we afford another squad player in Lingard? Really curious to know about these 'moments of excellent quality on the ball'. He runs around a lot and hides behind players. Not sure if that can be called having a good workrate.

Totally agreed on the juvenile personality and punchable face part though.

Amerifan

It’s safe to say no one on Caf is overrating anything having to do with Lingard. He’s not having a good season, but he’s not the worst player in the league, as some would have you believe. He’s frequently played out of position, which isn’t helping him. His work rate and effort are there every game, but he’s not a natural number 9 or 10.

mewnew11

It’s safe to say no one on Caf is overrating anything having to do with Lingard. He’s not having a good season, but he’s not the worst player in the league, as some would have you believe. He’s frequently played out of position, which isn’t helping him. His work rate and effort are there every game, but he’s not a natural number 9 or 10.
Worst player in the team. Absolute shite and a coward.

fps

It's because he has no other qualities except he can run.

Amerifan

Not two minutes after I wrote this...

This...

Worst player in the team. Absolute shite and a coward.
Too funny.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
This a million times. Who do these plebs who watch games on TV think they are to make comments? It's as if they're watching another entirely different sport!
You are the 1% (that's not elitist at all). Maybe the 0.0012% even. You play a very important role in educating us ignorant armchair supporters.
Thanks for existing. We're not worthy.

PS. Everyone knows that the 98% of the time Jesse's off the ball is when the magic really happens. Oh, if we were not to be trapped in this Plato's Cave, we'd be flabbergasted!
Ain't that the truth, thanks for acknowledging it ;)