Is it possible to get offensive productivity out of our full-backs (right-back)?

Andersons Dietician

Remember if we press high they are the only ones with the pace to cover the back line. Maguire and Lindelof have no hope of catching anyone if a move breaks and if Shaw and Bissaka are the furthest forward Matic isn’t going to do anything.

We rely on them to be less committed to cover the lack of pace in our 2 CB’s.
Not saying both can’t improve on their final ball or choice when they are up there but it’s not necessarily their main focus.

We tend to also build play slower down the left in a more controlled manner as that is where most of our ball players like to play freeing space on the right for Bissaka. There is a balance and technique to our team but both do seem to be improving what they are offering in attacking phases. Shaw’s had a hand in 4 goals is it since the restart and created many more dangerous moments where Bissaka has a few assists. Not really worried about them as we aren’t relying on them to be wingers as such.

I just feel like part of the hesitation to really go forward and go at teams is due to the lack of pace behind them. We’ve already seen teams exploit the space when they are pushed up.
I wrote this in June/July. Yesterday pretty much backed up why it can’t happen. Shaw and Fosu pushed high then Maguire and Lindelof got all their weaknesses exploited Without Shaw or Bissaka to protect them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
With the arrival of Sancho, I'd like to bump this with these two posts:

He's best when he can play together with an attacking full back, but it does not matter much ob which wing that happens. He had better stats on the left in the last season, but simply Guerreiro was better than Meunier, last season he had better stats on the right as Hakimi was better than Guerreiro.
Guys, I was joking :lol: I've been following Sancho since the u17 WC.

I agree about the Hakimi part, he needs that full/wing back overlapping to create room for him to go 1vs1 with his defender.
And reiterate how important Wan Bissaka's role is down the right flank if he's our starting full-back (also if Sancho is deployed down the right initially, which he might not be as Rashford should theoretically be able to get his surger(ies) now that we have flank cover).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Walker's lack of support down the right displayed the difference in effectiveness it has on the flanker ahead of the full-back when contrasted to Shaw's excellent support down the left.

In particular, Sancho having no linking overlap from Walker was forced to play off those on his inside, which blunted his game. Not to say he wasn't able to threaten, rather Sancho with an optimal overlapping partner becomes absolutely lethal.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t agree with this idea he needs a full back like Hakimi. Most of the time he plays inside and in doing so it just opened space for Hakimi. No doubt Hakimi is more of a threat in the final 3rd compared to say a Bissaka but Bissaka will be getting in the same places.

He will wonder around swap positions and pop up all over the shop. What he needs is the team to pass move not just this idea that it’s due to the fullback. I honestly can’t disagree more, I have to ask how much have you seen of Sancho over the last few years playing for Dortmund?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t agree with this idea he needs a full back like Hakimi. Most of the time he plays inside and in doing so it just opened space for Hakimi. No doubt Hakimi is more of a threat in the final 3rd compared to say a Bissaka but Bissaka will be getting in the same places.

He will wonder around swap positions and pop up all over the shop. What he needs is the team to pass move not just this idea that it’s due to the fullback. I honestly can’t disagree more, I have to ask how much have you seen of Sancho over the last few years playing for Dortmund?
Think you've taken the word 'needs' too literal here. The overlapper forces defenders to divide to cover and leaves them with the choice of sticking to the man they've doubled up on, or splitting to meet the new threat, which in turn automatically thins the bodies squaring up to Sancho or leaves the full-back wide open. The better the attacking quality of said full-back, the more pressing the need to go out and meet the threat immediately - it's all a chain of events that Sancho has shown himself to expertly exploit.

It should go without saying what Sancho does on the inside (I made a thread about that earlier today), but that's not what this thread is about as his flanker has the potential to become a key man in his own right off the back of what Sancho provides, if he has the ability.