Is it still possible to have an excellent transfer window?

UpWithRivers

Ok this is a bit of a downer but its about being realistic. Lets say even if we get De Jong, Antony, Timber and Eriksen. Is that an excellent window? Like a 7/8 out of 10 window? Id rate it average and Ill tell you why. Out of those signings only one is a first teamer. Forget about form and last season. Who are the first team players. Rashford, Ronaldo and Sancho are first picks for the front line. Yeah if Rashford continues to be sht Antony or even Elanga will get in. But realistically Rashford is a first teamer. Maguire and Varane are first teamers. No way Timber gets in there. Will Eriksen be a first teamer? He wont replace Bruno. And I doubt if he will play in the pivot with De Jong as a first choice pairing. Maybe in some games but I would presume it will be either Fred/McTominay.

So basically its going to be the same team as last season with a better midfielder and possibly a stronger bench. But we did loose Pogba, Matic, Lingard who even if you hate them are not bad quality. So its not a bigger jump in quality as you would think. What did we fix? Attack? Not really. Defense? Not really. Midfield - not really. We need 2 midfielders. Basically if we need to improve we needed 3,4,5 plus FIRST TEAMERS. Not just potentials and improve the squad players. Players that would walk in and bench the likes of Maguire and Rashford or even McFred. Or really we need to sell these big time players that are no good. Yeah we have had players leaving but only the players that want out. We havnt made the truly hard decisions and got rid of the trash that has been stinking up the place. And forget about just being sht. These are the players that hate each other and downed tools.

So I see the same team more or less next season. Will it be better? Of course. Cant be worse can it? But it will really be down to luck and a shift in attitude and some manager magic then transfers. At least thats how I see it. What do you say. Whats your 7/8 out of 10 transfer window look like that will radically change us?

Bwuk

Yes? It’s still early days. The window doesn’t shut till September.

DickDastardly

Seriously?

For one, De Jong will make us so much better it'actually like 3 signings in one.
He will make Fred look better, he will make Bruno calmer and allow him more space.

Second, if we get Timber he could play as a RB or a CB, both places currently occupied by AWB, Dalot, and Maguire - who suck, to say the least.

Third, Eriksen is free. Just pay the man and if he plays, and he will play at least 30 minutes per game - or even more - that's a fecking jackpot.
Antony, fine, take him.

It's called having a team with proper COMPETITION!

Something we haven't seen since what, Ronaldo - Rooney - Tevez?

You realise we used to have 4 strikers competing for 2 spots and all 4 being fecking great players?

If the 4 targets are met, it's gonna be a brilliant transfer window!

UpWithRivers

Yes? It’s still early days. The window doesn’t shut till September.
Yes but who can we even get that would result in a 7/10 plus window? Rice and De Jong would get us up a level. But is that realistic?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
How many transfer windows do we have, where we are aware of every player we sign weeks or months before it happens?

For all we know we could sign three first-team ready players.

UpWithRivers

Seriously?

For one, De Jong will make us so much better it'actually like 3 signings in one.
He will make Fred look better, he will make Bruno calmer and allow him more space.

Second, if we get Timber he could play as a RB or a CB, both places currently occupied by AWB, Dalot, and Maguire - who suck, to say the least.

Third, Eriksen is free. Just pay the man and if he plays, and he will play at least 30 minutes per game - or even more - that's a fecking jackpot.
Antony, fine, take him.

It's called having a team with proper COMPETITION!

Something we haven't seen since what, Ronaldo - Rooney - Tevez?

You realise we used to have 4 strikers competing for 2 spots and all 4 being fecking great players?

If the 4 targets are met, it's gonna be a brilliant transfer window!
Totally agree but Im talking about levelling up the first team Not improving the squad and hoping the competition ups everyones game. It might work out like that but then its more to do with relying on the first team upping their game and the manager than the actual players brought in.

Lentwood

We shouldnt be thinking one window at a time. This one was always likely to be tough because the recruitment team have barely met each other, let alone been able to spend months or even years building a list of targets.

Priority for me this Summer was sign at least one CM and start moving out the toxic players and the deadwood. We are still on our way to achieving that.

UpWithRivers

How many transfer windows do we have, where we are aware of every player we sign weeks or months before it happens?

For all we know we could sign three first-team ready players.
Yes but thats why I asked - who do you think would be 3 good first team players. And dont forget if we dont sell we would have job replacing them. Lets say we get Torres. Would we really bench Varane or Maguire? Maybe but I cant see it without causing a rift at the very least

UpWithRivers

We shouldnt be thinking one window at a time. This one was always likely to be tough because the recruitment team have barely met each other, let alone been able to spend months or even years building a list of targets.

Priority for me this Summer was sign at least one CM and start moving out the toxic players and the deadwood. We are still on our way to achieving that.
We havnt even done that. Thats y point. Can it be successful if we havnt even done that? We are already hearing the rift was between Maguire camp and Ronaldo. Has it been sorted? Was it Lingard, Pogba and Matic causing all the problems? I dont think so

DevilRed

The best transfer has already been made.

Erik Ten Hag.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that the players will be playing to their proper levels if not better.

Skills

Snitch
Of course.

Signing immediate first team players doesn't automatically make a great transfer window. See 19/20 where we spunked our budget on AWB and Maguire

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It depends on how the players play isn't it.

Answer to this thread should be with benefit of hindsight. [owen] If the players signed improves the team and plays well, then it's a good window. Even if we sign 10 players and most of them are average, then it's a poor one [/owen]

marktan

I'm inclined to agree. De Jong will help but we still need a DM and a RW as a minimum to even think about competing for top 4. We don't need more CBs when every international starting CB we've signed over the last 5 years has looked poor due to a lack of a DM. And Antony as a RW I'm not too sure on.

People need to remember that our competition for 4th - Spurs, have already signed well and if they manage to bring in Richarlison their first XI will be quite a bit ahead of ours.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obviously.

FDJ is our main summer target and we'll likely have secured him in time for the start of his pre-season training and for what appears to be a decent price. We still have plenty of time to secure other signings.

Obviously it will depend on which players we actually end up buying/selling but we certainly aren't at a point where an excellent transfer window isn't possible.

Smores

The main thing is that one high profile signing won't fix or stabilise the team. We've been there and done that and they just regress due to the shit they're surrounded with.

We'll need another midfielder in at the minimum.

davidmichael

De Jong is effectively done barring the biggest calamity in our history, Eriksen will sign once he sees De Jong officially sign, we’re definitely in for Antony who’s the perfect type of business we should do in that he’s young and hungry and wants to be the best and we’re apparently in for Martinez who can be brilliant either as a defensive midfielder or a left sided centre back which we need in both positions.

We have an exciting group of kids coming through in Laird, Mengi, Bennett, Fernandes, Garner, Mejbri, Garnacho and Shoretire and it looks like we’ve managed to convince someone to take Pereira permanently AND pay a fee. AWB is officially up for sale whilst Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Telles, Williams, Chong and Martial are unofficially too so yes we COULD still have a great transfer window

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
United proved many times they can wait to last days of the window and pull out additional combo to add numbers into the squad. We will sign players in upcoming weeks and few will go, but then again Ten Hag could have after thoughts deep in pre-season games. The so called perfect window can have easily two episodes.

There will be moves now and in the end. The thought Arnold and Murtough having tons of work during this and next month could make this summer genuinely a good one.

Shark

@NotShark
The main thing is that one high profile signing won't fix or stabilise the team. We've been there and done that and they just regress due to the shit they're surrounded with.

We'll need another midfielder in at the minimum.
Problem is we also need a backup striker and winger. It seems almost unfathomable that we'd sign two CM's in one window but this isn't a normal window.

Red Rash

If we can get De Jong, Antony, Eriksen, CB and DM I think that would be a very good transfer window.

Especially since we also managed to reduce the wage bill massively by getting rid of Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Matic and Cavani (and probably a few others will leave)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Erik Ten Hag.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that the players will be playing to their proper levels if not better.
This is the dream, they're not as bad as they were last season. If they can return to form and ETH can actually improve them then suddenly we don't look so far off it. Especially if we get De Jong as that'll hopefully be the first actual upgrade that area of the pitch has had in years

LuckyScout78

I will be really really satisfy and happy if United and Ten Hag got those players:

CB : Lisandro Martinez. Around 30 mill euro with adds on
Creative and offensive CM : Frenkie De Jong : 60 to max 70 mill euro with adds on
Creative and offensive CM: Christian Eriksen: Free transfer
RW: Raphinha: Around 60 mill Euro with adds on
LB: Malacia: Not need as those 4 above. But Malacia is really conistent. High athletic and run a lot and high Stamina. 20 mill euros with adds on

Martinez, De Jong, Eriksen and Raphinha all those 4 players will rise United creative, offensive and attacking level up a lot. Make United more difficult to take the ball from, as a team and will rise United chance to concede lesser goals higher. Harder to take the ball from = concede lesser goals

With those 4. I am 100 convince. No more boring United. Not boring. Boring because United have been so incosistent. Not funny to watch = conistently.

And why no more boring United? Simple because United attacking players include the CF will get top consistent service from top 4 and Bruno. Plus from full backs too.
Will rise the chance for more goals....a lot a lot higher with those 4 players.

Revaulx

We havnt even done that. Thats y point. Can it be successful if we havnt even done that? We are already hearing the rift was between Maguire camp and Ronaldo. Has it been sorted? Was it Lingard, Pogba and Matic causing all the problems? I dont think so
You’ve ignored @Lentwood ’s last line.

It’s not over yet. And it won’t be for another year or two.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Frenkie de Jong alone with the outgoings makes it at minimum, a good window.

OpenIntrovert

Whether we will have a excellent transfer window can only be determined after we see the performances in the first half of the season. Because it depends on the type of signings required for the manager's tactics to work, not how many star signings we make.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Make no mistake, De Jong will be game changing signing under ETH.

Now we just have to get other deal done too, hopefully in next couple of weeks!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ok this is a bit of a downer but its about being realistic. Lets say even if we get De Jong, Antony, Timber and Eriksen. Is that an excellent window? Like a 7/8 out of 10 window? Id rate it average and Ill tell you why. Out of those signings only one is a first teamer. Forget about form and last season. Who are the first team players. Rashford, Ronaldo and Sancho are first picks for the front line. Yeah if Rashford continues to be sht Antony or even Elanga will get in. But realistically Rashford is a first teamer. Maguire and Varane are first teamers. No way Timber gets in there. Will Eriksen be a first teamer? He wont replace Bruno. And I doubt if he will play in the pivot with De Jong as a first choice pairing. Maybe in some games but I would presume it will be either Fred/McTominay.

So basically its going to be the same team as last season with a better midfielder and possibly a stronger bench. But we did loose Pogba, Matic, Lingard who even if you hate them are not bad quality. So its not a bigger jump in quality as you would think. What did we fix? Attack? Not really. Defense? Not really. Midfield - not really. We need 2 midfielders. Basically if we need to improve we needed 3,4,5 plus FIRST TEAMERS. Not just potentials and improve the squad players. Players that would walk in and bench the likes of Maguire and Rashford or even McFred. Or really we need to sell these big time players that are no good. Yeah we have had players leaving but only the players that want out. We havnt made the truly hard decisions and got rid of the trash that has been stinking up the place. And forget about just being sht. These are the players that hate each other and downed tools.

So I see the same team more or less next season. Will it be better? Of course. Cant be worse can it? But it will really be down to luck and a shift in attitude and some manager magic then transfers. At least thats how I see it. What do you say. Whats your 7/8 out of 10 transfer window look like that will radically change us?
We were never going to fix the squad in 1 window. Very unrealistic expectation if you thought we could.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

Haha dude this would be a 9/10 Transfer window.

TheReligion

Abusive

Isn’t that the same with every club?

Confusing post and don’t see your point

Abraxas

The idea Antony wouldn't be a starter is bizarre to me. If the club bought him for that kind of money he's not bought purely as a project. It's because they've rightly identified that right wing is a weak area. I don't see the case for that signing not improving our starting XI. It surely does and if it doesn't we should not be outlaying that money.

Saying "realistically Rashford is a first teamer" makes no sense, there is no realistically about it, it's about performing for the new manager and also suitability for a right sided role. Playing Rashford on the right is like playing with 10 men, he is redundant out there.

Lentwood

It's not all going to be sorted in one window though is it. We have been making poor decisions for over a decade, you can't undo ten years worth of mismanagement in a few weeks.

Lingard, Matic, Mata, Pogba and Cavani leaving is a good start. That's over £1m per week cleared from the wage bill and we know at least two of those players regularly caused issues, whilst a 3rd seemed barely arsed about playing for us at all last season.

There's still players to shift for sure, but it takes time. Most of these players are on inflated salaries and have suffered damage to their reputation, so it's not like their are queues of clubs waiting to buy them at a fair market price.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
No, we are destined to mid table mediocrity for it is known that absolutely no players ever sign deals past the 28th June.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Erik Ten Hag.

Definitely hope this is true.
Some of our players were shocking last season, they surely must be aching to put that right, and you'd hope that the likes of Sancho & Rashford in particular, will thrive under ETH's guidance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can see our window being:
  • Frenkie de Jong
  • Eriksen
  • Malacia
  • Dumfries
  • Antony
  • Backup GK
Sell AWB and Telles, loan out some others. Would be a great window IMO.