Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
He's almost proved me wrong - as much as I liked Rashford, I said that I don't think he will ever get 20 League because he doesn't score enough tap-ins. And I still maintain my criticism on just that area - but he has done a lot better in the other areas than I expected.

DoomSlayer

Better but not more prolific - Bent had one season at Sunderland where he was insane...24 goals :)
Rashford is not a pure number 9 but a modern-day attacker that plays across the whole pitch. He was on the left, right and in the middle today at certain points of the game.

Rashford being compared to and considered inferior to ‘peak’ Bent! Bloody hilarious, get a grip.

a lot of posters didn’t like him because he was English, and wouldn’t afford him the time and space to develop. He’s still a young player and will have some inconsistency.

Really pleased for him, 200 games, and having a very good season.

peak Bent - that really tickles my udders

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rashford being compared to and considered inferior to ‘peak’ Bent! Bloody hilarious, get a grip.

a lot of posters didn’t like him because he was English, and wouldn’t afford him the time and space to develop. He’s still a young player and will have some inconsistency.

Pleased for him, 200 games, and having a very good season.

peak Bent - that tickles my udders
The Welbeck comparisons were even more ridiculous for me.

lsd

The Oracle
To be fair Bent has scored over 100 goals in the premiership alone in less than 300 games as well so hes not really a laughing stock.

MalcolmTucker

To be fair Bent has scored over 100 goals in the premiership alone in less than 300 games as well so hes not really a laughing stock.
Bent was a limited poacher and his skill set was no-where near Rashford's. Look at some of the screamers Rashford has scored just this season - the assists and penalties won by driving into the box. Bent was never capable of those sorts of play, that's why it's such a ridiculous comparison.

They are completely different players.

Tel074

Why can't the caf just enjoy a talent like Rashford without picking holes in his game . He is 22 and he is bloody amazing and will only get better

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He was never good enough for a top team and quickly proved that at Spurs. Rashford's already established he is at that level. So while it's true Bent wasn't a laughing stock, he wasn't a very good player, and it's laughable to set that as Rashford's limit.

matt10000

Yep he is proving me wrong and I'm really happy he is and hopefully will keep doing it .

I honestly did not think he could score goals week in week out like hd has been doing , all credit to him
Why not? Consistency comes with experience and that counts for the whole squad but too many on here execrimg
miracles from youth and not willing to be patient.

lysglimt

Scout
Bent was a limited poacher and his skill set was no-where near Rashford's. Look at some of the screamers Rashford has scored just this season - the assists and penalties won by driving into the box. Bent was never capable of those sorts of play, that's why it's such a ridiculous comparison.

They are completely different players.
Bent was a limited player, but as a goalscorer he was one of the best

much more appropriate to compare Bent with Lukuku. Neither of which are good enough for top clubs. You could actually compare his transfer to spurs with Lukuku’s to United. Limited success, proved not no be top class and had to be moved on.

Which amusingly means you can compare Inter to Sunderland...

jackal&hyde

As a CF, including this season, he's not very good, lacks the instincts i feel. As a wide forward, world class imo. Young Ronaldo-esque. Well on course to get 25+ goals.

wolvored

Let's see him score 20 premier goals in a season first before commenting. Lets not jinx things.

The Original

much more appropriate to compare Bent with Lukuku. Neither of which are good enough for top clubs. You could actually compare his transfer to spurs with Lukuku’s to United. Limited success, proved not no be top class and had to be moved on.

Which amusingly means you can compare Inter to Sunderland...
Your "amusing" conclusion would then defeat your argument since Inter is in no way comparable to Sunderland.

MalcolmTucker

One of the best compared to whom? He was a good lower half of the table striker and that's it.

He failed when he stepped up at (a pre-Poch) Spurs. He was replaced with Defoe and Crouch.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Some positive stats:

Goals this season:

Martial, Rashford & Greenwood - 39
Mane, Salah & Firmino - 37
That is a genuinely heartwarming stat. One that should be highlighted amongst the difficulties we've experienced this season. We'll leave the comparison of our defense's contribution to our goals for column to that of Pool's defence to another day.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I'm delighted that he's hitting these heights. One of the best players in the league and surely a shoe in for pfa young player, think he qualifies. Back to being my favourite utd player again.

Despite all that I still think at the time it was right to "burst his bubble" as he was playing atrociously and head wasn't in the right place for whatever reason. "Is it time to burst Rashy's bubble" was actually quite relevant at the time and people should remember that when they bring the concept up to point how ludicrous it is.

This Rashford does not need his bubble bursting, I think we can all agree on that, well 99% of us.

I saw that interview with RVP recently and was so impressed by his attitude, he has a will of steel and I'm pretty confident now he will go on to be one of the best players in the world.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm delighted that he's hitting these heights. One of the best players in the league and surely a shoe in for pfa young player, think he qualifies. Back to being my favourite utd player again.

Despite all that I still think at the time it was right to "burst his bubble" as he was playing atrociously and head wasn't in the right place for whatever reason. "Is it time to burst Rashy's bubble" was actually quite relevant at the time and people should remember that when they bring the concept up to point how ludicrous it is.

This Rashford does not need his bubble bursting, I think we can all agree on that, well 99% of us.

I saw that interview with RVP recently and was so impressed by his attitude, he has a will of steel and I'm pretty confident now he will go on to be one of the best players in the world.
I agree. I think his body language on the pitch is visibly different as is his interactions with team mates. There’s no sulking and he is back to working his ass off. Anyone saying his attitude has always been great is kidding themselves ... Mourinho would have ruined him.

Did I just read that Darren Bent was "one of the best" goalscorers? This place, always good for a chuckle. :lol:

Isn't his career record something like 1 in 3?

18 in 60 for Spurs.
21 in 61 for Villa.
12 in 58 for Derby.

"one of the best" :drool: :drool:

KeanoMagicHat

Some positive stats:

Goals this season:

Martial, Rashford & Greenwood - 39
Mane, Salah & Firmino - 37
United's forwards are actually doing very well. The problem is hardly anyone ever scores from midfield, Fred can't shoot to save his life, while you'd expect Maguire to have scored a few goals by now. That's why Bruno Fernandes would be ideal because he's pretty much guaranteed goals from midfield.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He always seemed to make the wrong decisions a few years ago but I guess you could simply put that down to age. He's matured an immense amount in the last 12 months and I haven't seen a single instance where I've thought of him as selfish. At 22, he's almost scored 20 goals in just over half a season which is quite a remarkable feat. You can make the pointless comparisons to Messi and Ronaldo who were making huge leaps at around his age - Marcus also seems to be on that career trajectory. For the first time, he actually looks like a world class talent.

Member 113277

United's forwards are actually doing very well. The problem is hardly anyone ever scores from midfield, Fred can't shoot to save his life, while you'd expect Maguire to have scored a few goals by now. That's why Bruno Fernandes would be ideal because he's pretty much guaranteed goals from midfield.
You're right. after game #22 last season, the premier top scorers were Lukaku 8, Martial 8, Pogba 7, Rashford 7. Lingard chipped in with 4 and Mata and Ander with 2 each. Matic had 1, as did Alexis. Pogba went on to be top scorer, IIRC (though he was penalty taker).

So the front line contributed 24 and midfield 12 (if classing Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Ander and Matic as m/f - I can't remember whether Lingard played as a forward or midfield, tbh). 50% (only 2 goals game from defenders, one each to Smalling and Shaw).

This year, the numbers are Rashford 13 (main penalty taker), Martial 8, Greenwood 4 = 25. from m/f James 3, McTominay 3 and Pereira 1. So 25 plays 7 - 28%. The defence has contributed 2 again, Williams and Lindelof.

Not only are we missing goals from M/F, in 2017-18, the defence contributed 10 all season (albeit we had former wingers at fullback, who were high quality finishers relative to AWB and Shaw), but that has dropped off a cliff.

If you pro-rated those 10 over 22 games, it's 5.5 goals, let's say 5 and m/f had scored an extra 5 (like last season), we'd probably be in the top 4 and looking good.

PS: I know the above argument relies on extrapolating stats in a way that would probably not reflect reality, but the underlying trend is interesting.

PPS: by the laws of average, Maguire will knock in a few by the end of the season.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think what's ludicrous about the concept is that it's based on people making assumptions about what's going on inside the head of someone they see snippets of on TV for 90 minutes a week, or guessing how much effort they're putting into training based on the occasional slump shouldered walk back after another failed forward run, or a smile or a frown caught on camera, or posted on social media.

When people talk about bursting bubbles, or a need to take "a big slice of humble pie and works really hard on all aspects of his game and simplifies it... i.e. becomes a work horse who understands his own limitations." They're not only guessing things about the player's potential (which we're all guilty of - whether in an optimistic or a pessimistic way) they're putting a deliberately derisive negative spin on what the player is actually thinking and doing about it.

cyril C

You're right. after game #22 last season, the premier top scorers were Lukaku 8, Martial 8, Pogba 7, Rashford 7. Lingard chipped in with 4 and Mata and Ander with 2 each. Matic had 1, as did Alexis. Pogba went on to be top scorer, IIRC (though he was penalty taker).

So the front line contributed 24 and midfield 12 (if classing Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Ander and Matic as m/f - I can't remember whether Lingard played as a forward or midfield, tbh). 50% (only 2 goals game from defenders, one each to Smalling and Shaw).

This year, the numbers are Rashford 13 (main penalty taker), Martial 8, Greenwood 4 = 25. from m/f James 3, McTominay 3 and Pereira 1. So 25 plays 7 - 28%. The defence has contributed 2 again, Williams and Lindelof.

Not only are we missing goals from M/F, in 2017-18, the defence contributed 10 all season (albeit we had former wingers at fullback, who were high quality finishers relative to AWB and Shaw), but that has dropped off a cliff.

If you pro-rated those 10 over 22 games, it's 5.5 goals, let's say 5 and m/f had scored an extra 5 (like last season), we'd probably be in the top 4 and looking good.

PS: I know the above argument relies on extrapolating stats in a way that would probably not reflect reality, but the underlying trend is interesting.

PPS: by the laws of average, Maguire will knock in a few by the end of the season.
Strictly for argument sake, if you classify Greenword as front 3, so should James.

Member 113277

Strictly for argument sake, if you classify Greenword as front 3, so should James.
I was in a dilemma about James and Lindgard, TBH. Should Lingard be classified as a forward of midfield (for the sake of this analysis)?

Status
Not open for further replies.