Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

This.
He is very, very close to being in one of the top players around the world if he can improve on that simple mistakes he makes all the time really.

I actually think he is close to Ronaldo at the age of 22, the difference being finishing off weaker teams.
Lets stop revisionism please. In Ronaldo's 22nd year was 2007 season. That season he was rated 3rd best player in the world after Kaka and Messi. Is Rashford even universally considered top 3 in the England national team, let alone his domestic league, Europe or the entire footballing world? No one talks about Rashford alongside the likes of Messi, Lewandowski etc. literally no one.

Ronaldo was the BEST and MOST IMPORTANT player in a team that had legends like Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Larrson, Carrick, Ole Gunnar, Rio yet he was the lead performer and carried us at times.

We forget that the Ronaldo we had until the start of 2007-08 season was highly wasteful and fluffed various chances. In fact he would get a lot of stick from opposition fans that Ronaldo needs various opportunities to score a goal and his goals are because he is in a team that creates lots of chances for him.
why would you listen to oppo fans? they will say anything to pull our players down. Ronaldo bagged 31 league goals in 34 apps. you don't get that from missing.

Withnail

What a complaint to have!

22 and not quite back to his best after a fractured back and could still improve his decision making but has already notched up 3 goals and 2 assists in 5 PL/CL games along with 1 goal from two sub appearances in the League Cup.

Giggsy13

We forget that the Ronaldo we had until the start of 2007-08 season was highly wasteful and fluffed various chances. In fact he would get a lot of stick from opposition fans that Ronaldo needs various opportunities to score a goal and his goals are because he is in a team that creates lots of chances for him.
This 100%. Selective memory by our supporters. In the 05/06 season Fergie benched Ronaldo in favour of Park at times because he was was so wasteful. Ronaldo’s 06/07 season was his breakout campaign but he was painful to watch the first 3 years because of his poor decision making. Our own supporters were ready to bin him after the 2006 WC controversy with Rooney.

Rashford has had to walk into a more a difficult and less stable Man United. His debut was when we were ravaged with injuries and had the Dutch Loon Van Gaal in charge. Yet he scored on both his Europa and PL debuts. Now imagine 18 year old Ronaldo and whether he would’ve made the same impact as Rashford in that difficult scenario.

Reactions: jojojo

Remember the geese

I personally think he's just as good, if not better, than Son Heung-min. Yet the disparity, in some quarters at least, between the fawning over one and the hostility towards the other is quite startling.

CG1010

Lets stop revisionism please. In Ronaldo's 22nd year was 2007 season. That season he was rated 3rd best player in the world after Kaka and Messi. Is Rashford even universally considered top 3 in the England national team, let alone his domestic league, Europe or the entire footballing world? No one talks about Rashford alongside the likes of Messi, Lewandowski etc. literally no one.

Ronaldo was the BEST and MOST IMPORTANT player in a team that had legends like Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Larrson, Carrick, Ole Gunnar, Rio yet he was the lead performer and carried us at times.

why would you listen to oppo fans? they will say anything to pull our players down. Ronaldo bagged 31 league goals in 34 apps. you don't get that from missing.
Really you should watch the old games if you get time. He used to miss quite a few, especially before 2007-08 season. I really doubt he scored 31 of 34 league games anytime before 2007-08. Are you sure?

sugar_kane

This thread title is starting to smell like your bigoted old uncles facebook post
It's horrendous and I'm sick of seeing it on the front page constantly.

It needs to be locked so it can die, I don't really see why it exists anymore as it was created on a ridiculous premise.

Lentwood

This 100%. Selective memory by our supporters. In the 05/06 season Fergie benched Ronaldo in favour of Park at times because he was was so wasteful. Ronaldo’s 06/07 season was his breakout campaign but he was painful to watch the first 3 years because of his poor decision making. Our own supporters were ready to bin him after the 2006 WC controversy with Rooney.

Rashford has had to walk into a more a difficult and less stable Man United. His debut was when we were ravaged with injuries and had the Dutch Loon Van Gaal in charge. Yet he scored on both his Europa and PL debuts. Now imagine 18 year old Ronaldo and whether he would’ve made the same impact as Rashford in that difficult scenario.
Unless I was turning up every week to a different Old Trafford and watching a different Ronaldo and different United this post is well wide of the mark.

The vast, vast majority of fans loved Ronaldo from the beginning and could see his obvious potential. From his debut versus Bolton onwards, the lad got the entire crowd on our feet every time he got the ball. Sure, his raw numbers weren't there until his early 20s but he was embarrassing senior professionals on a regular basis with his quick-feet and dribbling skills from the beginning. Plus, crucially he had great technique, which I think is something Rashford lacks slightly at times. In my opinion (and it's only MY opinion), Ronaldo was a better player at 19/20 than Rashford will ever be...and that's not necessarily that damning of Rashford, we're just comparing a generational talent with a 'good' standard PL player.

Also you're wrong on the "our own supporters were ready to bin him after the 2006 WC controversy with Rooney". I wasn't on RedCafe at the time but as I said, I was at every game, every week and I can tell you the fans in the ground were 100% "Team Ronaldo". This is where the 'he plays on the left, he plays on the right, that boy Ronaldo, made England look sh**e" song originated from. Utd fans have never been classically 'pro England' in any case...again, you may see banners such as the Republik of Mancunia' banners etc...

Chabon

We forget that the Ronaldo we had until the start of 2007-08 season was highly wasteful and fluffed various chances
In 06/07 Ronaldo was the best player in the world. I know Kaka won the awards ahead of him, but I also know awards like that are complete fecking nonsense.

Stacks

Really you should watch the old games if you get time. He used to miss quite a few, especially before 2007-08 season. I really doubt he scored 31 of 34 league games anytime before 2007-08. Are you sure?
My apologies as I misunderstood what you meant. You were basically saying he was wasteful until the point when he became a world level goal scorer which was probably true. I recall Ronaldo as a youth used to shoot ALOT. I bit like Harry Kane does, from long range or anywhere. He did hit the woodwork a lot too.

Stacks

In 06/07 Ronaldo was the best player in the world. I know Kaka won the awards ahead of him, but I also know awards like that are complete fecking nonsense.
Nah. Kaka had more to his game in that he was an excellent playmaker who showed he could be the best player and top scorer in Europe too. Was thoroughly deserved

Stacks

Unless I was turning up every week to a different Old Trafford and watching a different Ronaldo and different United this post is well wide of the mark.

The vast, vast majority of fans loved Ronaldo from the beginning and could see his obvious potential. From his debut versus Bolton onwards, the lad got the entire crowd on our feet every time he got the ball. Sure, his raw numbers weren't there until his early 20s but he was embarrassing senior professionals on a regular basis with his quick-feet and dribbling skills from the beginning. Plus, crucially he had great technique, which I think is something Rashford lacks slightly at times. In my opinion (and it's only MY opinion), Ronaldo was a better player at 19/20 than Rashford will ever be...and that's not necessarily that damning of Rashford, we're just comparing a generational talent with a 'good' standard PL player.

Also you're wrong on the "our own supporters were ready to bin him after the 2006 WC controversy with Rooney". I wasn't on RedCafe at the time but as I said, I was at every game, every week and I can tell you the fans in the ground were 100% "Team Ronaldo". This is where the 'he plays on the left, he plays on the right, that boy Ronaldo, made England look sh**e" song originated from. Utd fans have never been classically 'pro England' in any case...again, you may see banners such as the Republik of Mancunia' banners etc...
thank you. I too was never in the camp of "binning Ronaldo" and don't understand where that came from. I admit I wasn't on Redcafe either. he was my favourite player and I preferred him to Rooney even when Rooney was slightly ahead. Old Trafford worships flair players. Nothing like a silky winger to get the crowd up off their feet. We had that with Giggs and Best and Ronaldo had that ability.

Withnail

I don't remember anyone saying that at all. I wasn't on the caf at the time. Was that on here?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Second this. The crowd were well behind him and I don't remember any groans inside OT.

In fact, it felt more like worry that we'd lose him after the incident, which SAF sorted out fairly quickly by all accounts.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
All the people saying he's not as good as Ronaldo was for us should remember that Ronaldo had the fortune of playing in a more stable team under our best ever manager.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Marcus Rashford has done in his career so far. He can improve yes, but sometimes I like to step back for a while and take stock of what he's done.

Stacks

All the people saying he's not as good as Ronaldo was for us should remember that Ronaldo had the fortune of playing in a more stable team under our best ever manager.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Marcus Rashford has done in his career so far. He can improve yes, but sometimes I like to step back for a while and take stock of what he's done.
Ronaldo was also the best player in a team that had Giggs, Rooney, Carrick, Saha, Scholes, Rio and had experienced pros passed on responsibility to him as the undoubted attacking leader on the team (go to guy.) I doubt Rashford could handle that level of pressure and expectation at such a huge side like what we were. United had to win every game and the pressure at the top is greater than below when a "good" season is making champions league. Scholes alluded to this when he spoke of our run last season as he noted, "it was kinda easy as they weren't expected to win the league." The standard and expectation is much lower which goes hand in hand with the quality of player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nah. Kaka had more to his game in that he was an excellent playmaker who showed he could be the best player and top scorer in Europe too. Was thoroughly deserved
Kaka had a great CL but he wasn't even the best player in the Seria A that year (that was Totti). From memory he didn't play any internationals either. Overall Ronaldo had the better season but the CL was given too much importance in the rankings. The entire build-up to the semi-final clash was about Kaka and Ronaldo, and unfortunately our entire defence being injured (and Ronaldo himself playing with an injured ankle if I remember correctly) swung the two-legged tie to them. If we'd won (which I believe we would have if it weren't for the injuries) Ronaldo would have got the award.

Of course, it evened out later for Ronaldo himself when he won one of his Ballon d'Or's the same way - not the best player overall but dominated the CL. Sucks for us though as should have won two of them for us.

arthurka

Why? He is one of our own, brilliant head on his shoulder and always gives his all. He had a terrible and difficult injury last season. If he was playing anywhere else you would all be signing him praises.

Giggsy13

Again I believe there is some selective memory regarding Ronaldo. The supporters got behind Ronaldo following the 06 World Cup after Sir Alex completely put to rest any thought he would be sold. It ended up being a blessing as it created the perfect siege mentality, which led us to the title and Ronaldo’s first truly great year with us.

Ronaldo showed flashes of amazing potential the first 3 years but let’s not forget how infuriating he was at times with his poor decision making and inconsistent performances. There was a fear he’d never live up to the potential.

Rashford does not have the benefit of a strong United core that Ronaldo grew up with. He is the damn core, which only makes his rise more impressive. I saw someone describe him as a “good Premier league” player. ‘Again this goes to the fact that he is somewhat taken for granted. He’s far better than good and was on pace for a career year but for the injury. Put him on a team with prime Scholes, Giggs and Keane, and I could foresee he’d be doing even more than Ronaldo his first 3 years.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
The comparisons with ronaldo gives me hope that around 23 yo rashford can have a breakout season like 07-08 ronaldo. He could turn into a world beater

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s currently on a Son type level but he could easily kick on and do a Salah or a Henry. He’s never going to be Ronny or Rooney. He’s his own thing. Games like the last night will give him huge confidence in his abilities and the belief he can hit new heights.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm going to say it now:

He's going to score the winning goal in a major final one day. Whether it's in the Champions League for us or the World Cup for England.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He’s currently on a Son type level but he could easily kick on and do a Salah or a Henry. He’s never going to be Ronny or Rooney. He’s his own thing. Games like the last night will give him huge confidence in his abilities and the belief he can hit new heights.
He is not on a Son type level.

Tarrou

we're so so lucky to have him

he's super talented, works his bollocks off, never complains or causes a problem, manc born-and-bred and loves the club

not only that he's making a positive contribution to society and improving peoples lives, he's a role model to children everywhere and adults too

I mean seriously, what more could you want as a United fan?

Oh my bad he mucked up a two one on. Sell the cnut!

Rolaholic

we're so so lucky to have him

he's super talented, works his bollocks off, never complains or causes a problem, manc born-and-bred and loves the club

not only that he's making a positive contribution to society and improving peoples lives, he's a role model to children everywhere and adults too

I mean seriously, what more could you want as a United fan?

Oh my bad he mucked up a two one on. Sell the cnut!
That last line sums up the caf on matchdays :lol:

I agree with the post though, he checks just about every box regarding what you want in a United player on and off the pitch. The fact that he's homegrown is the cherry on top.

He's already put up great numbers comparable to some legends of the game at the same stage in their careers and he's a lot more battle tested than most of his agemates having been a consistent part of the first team for 4-5 years now.

Truly believe that if he manages to stay healthy long term and continues to improve as he has every year,he'll have a good shot at breaking some significant club milestones.

His mettle and composure in big moments at such a young age is one of his best attributes.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I doubt Rashford could handle that level of pressure and expectation at such a huge side like what we were.
Is this based on anything besides sweet feckall? He's happily held his own playing in teams and been the best player time and again which had so called multi million dollar world superstar like Pogba, another 50 million dollar teenager in Martial who came in with a reputation of becoming a ballon d'or winner and doesn't shy away from stamping himself on the game with another top player like Bruno. Similarly he has taken responsibility and showed up for England far more than caf darling Sancho for whom Muppets like you would give their kidneys and has happily outshined the likes of Kane and Sterling. All this despite never being hyped up in his youth years and never having that sort of reputation.

No idea where absolutely garbage opinions like these come from.

RashysTekkers

Nowhere close, in terms of footballing IQ, passing, dribbling, touch and close control, Son is at least a couple of levels above Rashford.
How about this for comparison: Rashford is in his early 20s, Son is in his late 20s. When Son was at Rashford's age he's not even near Rashford's current level.

CG1010

My apologies as I misunderstood what you meant. You were basically saying he was wasteful until the point when he became a world level goal scorer which was probably true. I recall Ronaldo as a youth used to shoot ALOT. I bit like Harry Kane does, from long range or anywhere. He did hit the woodwork a lot too.
Yeah, just to provide some perspective that even the best can be wasteful. And with maturity it can go away. Of course Rashford isn't as talented as Ronaldo but he can still become a world class striker.. his potential is scary.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Rashford already surpassed Son's best season in the premier league if you only look at the goal totals. Son is 28, Rashford is about to turn 23. Miiiiiiiles ahead, sure.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Son has only scored 1 goal more than Rashford in thr last three season whilst being five years older and playing in largely better teams, yet somehow he's a class above Rashford.

Rashford threads are usually a good barometer about which United fans are morons and who aren't.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Son has only scored 1 goal more than Rashford in thr last three season whilst being five years older and playing in largely better teams, yet somehow he's a class above Rashford.

Rashford threads are usually a good barometer about which United fans are morons and who aren't.
At least couple of levels better itseems.

GueRed

Rashford improves every year <3

He a good young professional

i bet his haters who call him Rashford are Pogba and Martial fanboys

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Well on his way to legend status, and still only 22. We're lucky to have him.

Moby

Dick
Well on his way to legend status, and still only 22. We're lucky to have him.
This in one line. He's going to be added to the list of Charlton Giggs Scholes etc when it comes to being a United legend and these same crazy fifa Muppets knee-jerking right now will be showing his documentary of these same matches to their kids.

Stretender

I'm going to say it now:

He's going to score the winning goal in a major final one day. Whether it's in the Champions League for us or the World Cup for England.
England will never reach a world cup final anytime soon mate.

They have a manager who plays it too safe.

I don't think people are morons because they don't rate Rashford that high.
One thing you can guarantee is that United fans always over rate their players. We get a reality check when we try to sell them and no one wants to buy them or they want to pay way below asking price.

I think until Rashford improves his decision making, he can't be on the same level as Son. Son is a technically brilliant footballer and for me he could excel in a Barcelona or Bayern Munich but I am not so sure Rashford could do that.

Viewing Rashford with our red tinted glasses on can be distorting. Watch him from an England perspective and you begin to get a fairer assessment of him unless you are emotionally attached to England that you think everything they do is brilliant.

He is without doubt a fantastic human being, seems grounded enough and a good footballer but let's not get carried away with his status in world football.

If you watched the PSG game , that is a perfect summary of Rashford the footballer. Frustrating up until he scored the goal. At the highest level only 1 chance by the opposition can kill you, so if you get 4 to 5 chances and fluff them, you are asking for trouble.

cyberman

England will never reach a world cup final anytime soon mate.

They have a manager who plays it too safe.

I don't think people are morons because they don't rate Rashford that high.
One thing you can guarantee is that United fans always over rate their players. We get a reality check when we try to sell them and no one wants to buy them or they want to pay way below asking price.

I think until Rashford improves his decision making, he can't be on the same level as Son. Son is a technically brilliant footballer and for me he could excel in a Barcelona or Bayern Munich but I am not so sure Rashford could do that.

Viewing Rashford with our red tinted glasses on can be distorting. Watch him from an England perspective and you begin to get a fairer assessment of him unless you are emotionally attached to England that you think everything they do is brilliant.

He is without doubt a fantastic human being, seems grounded enough and a good footballer but let's not get carried away with his status in world football.

If you watched the PSG game , that is a perfect summary of Rashford the footballer. Frustrating up until he scored the goal. At the highest level only 1 chance by the opposition can kill you, so if you get 4 to 5 chances and fluff them, you are asking for trouble.
Who have we tried to sell? Lukaku? Herrera? Smalling?
All struggling alright.
If Rashford were a Liverpool player we would say he terrorised their RB all night and deserved his goal, they couldn't keep him quiet. All chances his runs and ability to carry the ball created.
This is just nonsense. Lecturing Rashford about big games. Have you seen his big game record?
Utter tripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.