Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
England will never reach a world cup final anytime soon mate.

They have a manager who plays it too safe.

I don't think people are morons because they don't rate Rashford that high.
One thing you can guarantee is that United fans always over rate their players. We get a reality check when we try to sell them and no one wants to buy them or they want to pay way below asking price.

I think until Rashford improves his decision making, he can't be on the same level as Son. Son is a technically brilliant footballer and for me he could excel in a Barcelona or Bayern Munich but I am not so sure Rashford could do that.

Viewing Rashford with our red tinted glasses on can be distorting. Watch him from an England perspective and you begin to get a fairer assessment of him unless you are emotionally attached to England that you think everything they do is brilliant.

He is without doubt a fantastic human being, seems grounded enough and a good footballer but let's not get carried away with his status in world football.

If you watched the PSG game , that is a perfect summary of Rashford the footballer. Frustrating up until he scored the goal. At the highest level only 1 chance by the opposition can kill you, so if you get 4 to 5 chances and fluff them, you are asking for trouble.
Yeah he must be crap cos there were confirmed reports of Barcelona wanting him before the new contract but Stretender of RedCafe obviously knows better.

This myth about attackers at the top level taking once chance to score in every match is also garbage. Even last season the likes of Mane and Salah missed more big chances than him in the PL.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ronaldo

14/15 La Liga: 35 apps, 48 goals. 26.37% conversion rate

15/16: 36 apps, 35 goals. 18.42% conversion

16/17: 29 apps, 25 goals. 19.53% conversion

17/18: 27 apps, 26 goals, 18.57% conversion

19/20 serie a: 33 apps, 31 goals, 21.83%

So there we go, we can all stop acting like top players score every chance. As above, Ronaldo typically converts at a lower rate than Rashford’s 22% last season.

Top players aren’t scoring every chance. What allows them to score so much is the ability to create 4-5+ chances a match. Something Rashford has been showing a good ability to do.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
What on earth are people talking about when referring to bursting his bubble? Really, what do they mean by this? He is a young guy, not everyone is world class at 19-21 years old etc. Honestly, get off the guys back.

Stretender

Yeah he must be crap cos there were confirmed reports of Barcelona wanting him before the new contract but Stretender of RedCafe obviously knows better.

This myth about attackers at the top level taking once chance to store in every match is also garbage. Even last season the likes of Mane and Salah missed more big chances than him in the PL.
Oh I remember that very well when his agent brother was negotiating his new 250k contract.

Who have we tried to sell? Lukaku? Herrera? Smalling?
All struggling alright.
If Rashford were a Liverpool player we would say he terrorised their RB all night and deserved his goal, they couldn't keep him quiet. All chances his runs and ability to carry the ball created.
This is just nonsense. Lecturing Rashford about big games. Have you seen his big game record?
Utter tripe.
Where have I mentioned his big game record? I am talking about his overall game, whether he plays against PSG or Crystal Palace.

And again read my comment. Am not talking about goals. Decision making. He is not a better decision maker on the pitch than Son.

Whether you agree with it or not, it's there for all to see.

Chabon

Rashford does not have the benefit of a strong United core that Ronaldo grew up with. He is the damn core, which only makes his rise more impressive. I saw someone describe him as a “good Premier league” player. ‘Again this goes to the fact that he is somewhat taken for granted. He’s far better than good and was on pace for a career year but for the injury. Put him on a team with prime Scholes, Giggs and Keane, and I could foresee he’d be doing even more than Ronaldo his first 3 years.
Conversely, if Rashford had been born ten years earlier he would probably have played half as many games for United as he has.

Anyone bragging about how his record at this point compared to Ronaldo/Rooney has to keep in mind just how many opportunities he's had purely because for almost his entire time as a United player our attack has been a bit crap. A good comparison would probably be Nani, who joined a United side with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, Saha, Park. He had to wait three years to become first choice, but imagine if a 20 year old Nani had rocked up in 2015, he'd have started every game for the last five years.

cyberman

Conversely, if Rashford had been born ten years earlier he would probably have played half as many games for United as he has.

Anyone bragging about how his record at this point compared to Ronaldo/Rooney has to keep in mind just how many opportunities he's had purely because for almost his entire time as a United player our attack has been a bit crap. A good comparison would probably be Nani, who joined a United side with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, Saha, Park. He had to wait three years to become first choice, but imagine if a 20 year old Nani had rocked up in 2015, he'd have started every game for the last five years.
At the highest level only 1 chance by the opposition can kill you, so if you get 4 to 5 chances and fluff them, you are asking for trouble.

Your words. Rashfords performances at the higest level is ridiculous. Its something like 41 goal contributions in his last 52 games.
PSG themselves were reportedly after him last summer, Barca made him a long term target since before his debut for us.
This reeks of you just not rating him and twisting a narrative to fit it

cyberman

Rashford gets in. He would have benched Nani at the very least.
Thats a side that had Valencia and Young ffs.
Sir Alex would have loved him. No need to move Rooney out wide with this Rashford in the side.
Hell Rashford under Sir Alex would be twice the player he is now

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ronaldo

So there we go, we can all stop acting like top players score every chance. As above, Ronaldo typically converts at a lower rate than Rashford’s 22% last season.

Top players aren’t scoring every chance. What allows them to score so much is the ability to create 4-5+ chances a match. Something Rashford has been showing a good ability to do.
Yup. All those who say top players score every chance don't actually watch ninety minutes of a football match and rely on YT highlights just like three or four people on this very page.

Chabon

I rate him very highly, but there's little to suggest he's gonna suddenly become one of the best players in the world, and you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment if you think that.

He's almost certainly gonna spend his entire career averaging 10-20 league goals and getting 5-10 assists every year as a wide forward, whilst also being incredibly dedicated and showing real leadership. I suspect, injury permitting, he'll be United captain for many years. That's an amazing career for someone who's come through our academy, better than any Manc's managed since Scholes. But you need to stop deluding yourself that A. he's gonna become Ronaldo, and B. that that's a requirement to play hundreds of times for United. There's a lot of talk of him being 'inconsistent', but that's what almost all attacking players are. He's not the new Ronaldo, he's the new Mark Hughes, and we should be very glad of that and stop fantasising (and also not sell him to Barcelona).

Withnail

Nowhere close, in terms of footballing IQ, passing, dribbling, touch and close control, Son is at least a couple of levels above Rashford.
Provided his career isn't marred with injuries, long before Rashford is 28 this comparison will be laughable.

Rashford improves every year <3

He a good young professional

i bet his haters who call him Rashford are Pogba and Martial fanboys
I don't think it has anything to do with Martial or Pogba but I think you'll find the correct term is cnuts

cyberman

I rate him very highly, but there's little to suggest he's gonna suddenly become one of the best players in the world, and you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment if you think that.

He's almost certainly gonna spend his entire career averaging 10-20 league goals and getting 5-10 assists every year as a wide forward, whilst also being incredibly dedicated and showing real leadership. I suspect, injury permitting, he'll be United captain for many years. That's an amazing career for someone who's come through our academy, better than any Manc's managed since Scholes. But you need to stop deluding yourself that A. he's gonna become Ronaldo, and B. that that's a requirement to play hundreds of times for United. There's a lot of talk of him being 'inconsistent', but that's what almost all attacking players are. He's not the new Ronaldo, he's the new Mark Hughes, and we should be very glad of that and stop fantasising (and also not sell him to Barcelona).
But he doesnt have to be one of the best players in the world to be utterly fantastic. Hes already one of the best inside forwards in world football and if it has to he one if the worlds great or bust then its time to reevaluate how we judge and criticise players at our club.
Whos even better at 22? Who is the best in the world right now that was as good as Marcus is now?
If we listened to all of the Rashford isnt that great posts he wouldnt be as good as he is now and who says he even stops inproving now? Even a slight improvement to how he currently plays has him in an excellent position.

Chabon

Whos even better at 22? Who is the best in the world right now that was as good as Marcus is now?
Rooney and Ronaldo were, indisputably, two of the best attacking players in the world at that age. Rashford turns 23 next week. Rooney and Ronaldo did so in 2008, and I don't think I need to remind you what they both achieved that year. He's never going to be at their level regardless of how one massages his stats. Fundamentally, if we're serious about becoming the best team in Europe again, Rashford shouldn't be our best attacking player. It's also not really fair on him to treat him as the club's saviour purely because we've been so inept at buying forwards for nearly a decade.

Moby

Dick
Rooney and Ronaldo were, indisputably, two of the best attacking players in the world at that age. Rashford turns 23 next week. Rooney and Ronaldo did so in 2008, and I don't think I need to remind you what they both achieved that year. He's never going to be at their level regardless of how one massages his stats. Fundamentally, if we're serious about becoming the best team in Europe again, Rashford shouldn't be our best attacking player. It's also not really fair on him to treat him as the club's saviour purely because we've been so inept at buying forwards for nearly a decade.
Humor us then. Out of the current players of his age which ones should be the 'best Manchester united attacker who is at the same level as 08 Ronaldo and rooney'

cyberman

Would those 2 be as good under LVG, Jose and Ole? Its not the same conparison at all.
Its these goalposts that are set that doesnt make sense. You dont need Ronaldo to be successful. We won the league and got to CL final with Hernandez up top ffs. Thats what Sir Alex did. Marcus doesnt have Sir Alex.
If we signed Mane, Salah and VVD when they were 23 you would be up in arms because they arent Rooney and Ronaldo as well
Its a ridiculous comparison

Chabon

If we signed Mane, Salah and VVD when they were 23 you would be up in arms because they arent Rooney and Ronaldo as well
Its a ridiculous comparison
It is a ridiculous comparison, and I’m not the one making it.

Humor us then. Out of the current players of his age which ones should be the 'best Manchester united attacker who is at the same level as 08 Ronaldo and rooney'
Perhaps our best attacker shouldn’t be a 22 year old? Perhaps we should have spent some of that half a billion quid a bit better.

AshRK

Yes rashy's bubble has burst and he is one fine individual and one fine footballer.

Chabon

:lol: As expected you haven't a fecking clue what you are talking about.
And what exactly are you talking about? Do you believe that a player of Marcus Rashford’s quality should be comfortably the best attacker at Manchester United? That he being our best suggests a squad good enough for the standards we are meant to have at this football club?

KW2006

He is not Ronaldo/Rooney/Mbappe level of talent, and lacks the killer instinct of Lewandowski/Kane/Aguero.

But he has the potential to reach the level of Sterling/Mane/Suarez, i.e. one of the starting attackers(not necessarily the main man) in a title-winning team. But of course he has to work hard and improve.

Giggsy13

At the highest level only 1 chance by the opposition can kill you, so if you get 4 to 5 chances and fluff them, you are asking for trouble.

Your words. Rashfords performances at the higest level is ridiculous. Its something like 41 goal contributions in his last 52 games.
PSG themselves were reportedly after him last summer, Barca made him a long term target since before his debut for us.
That goes to my very point and I think you agree, we underrate Rashford and our supporters take him for granted while other big clubs highly rate him. And being compared to Nani...fecking hell.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That goes to my very point and I think you agree, we underrate Rashford and our supporters take him for granted while other big clubs highly rate him. And being compared to Nani...fecking hell.
This is done by alot of opposition.

Arsenal fans rate Martial for example because they have to deal with Lacazette which Martial would do much better aiming to put balls in to Aubameyang. They speak of him higher than United fans.

Everytime I talk to then they also think United will be hard to deal with because Ole has improved us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ronaldo

This is wrong stats, as per few in this thread top players don't miss chances. Or maybe Ronaldo is not a top player.

"Top players need only one chance to make difference" must be one of the biggest myth.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Son's a better player than Rashford, but Son's also a 28 year old in his prime playing next to one of the best all-round strikers of this generation. The fact Rashford is even in the same discussion at 23 is a testament to how good he is.

Giggsy13

I mean you do realize that Rooney and Ronaldo played on one of our greatest teams ever assembled. It wasn’t just them, we had world class players all over the pitch that allowed them freedom to become the best young attacking players in the world at that time. Rashford is under appreciated by supporters because of those great teams of the past.

Last edited:

littleman

I mean you do realize that Rooney and Ronaldo played on one of our greatest teams ever assembled. It wasn’t just them, we had world class players all over the pitch that allowed them freedom to become the best young attacking players in the world at that time. Rashford is under appreciated by supporters because of those great teams of the past.
This is a weird take.. the only reason why RoonRon could make it as starters in those teams was because they were prodigies.

One is a legitimate GOAT contender. Top 3 of all time possibly.
The other is one of the greatest English players ever, closer to Top 30 of all time.

It wasn't like we picked up a couple kids and decided the other 9 of the team would just be workhorses while these 2 peewees can prance around the field.

Cafe logic is insane.

Giggsy13

This is a weird take.. the only reason why RoonRon could make it as starters in those teams was because they were prodigies.

One is a legitimate GOAT contender. Top 3 of all time possibly.
The other is one of the greatest English players ever, closer to Top 30 of all time.

It wasn't like we picked up a couple kids and decided the other 9 of the team would just be workhorses while these 2 peewees can prance around the field.

Cafe logic is insane.
You’re criticizing my logic yet you’re comparing a player at the tail end of his career to one who is 23...interesting logic.

Rashford isn’t a prodigy. Right. I’m sure some including yourself thought he’d be a flash in the pan after his debut against arsenal but he only almost single handedly prevented the first half of our season last year from being a complete disaster. You’re the type of supporter that makes our lot easy to hate. Rashford was a prodigy who is now turning into a world class talent without having an established title winning core in Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc and fecking etc. to help him develop.

Renegade

He is not Ronaldo/Rooney/Mbappe level of talent, and lacks the killer instinct of Lewandowski/Kane/Aguero.

But he has the potential to reach the level of Sterling/Mane/Suarez, i.e. one of the starting attackers(not necessarily the main man) in a title-winning team. But of course he has to work hard and improve.
Bizzare to put Suarez in the Sterling/Mane tier. His one of the best strikers of his generation. If not the best. If Rashford reached that level he’d be one of the best forwards in the world.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Have you seen the shots/goals stats for all these guys aged 20-22 and compared those with Rashford.

of course I’ve seen them and Rashford is more than comfortable in such company.

Withnail

The killer instinct these players all had at 22?

Have you actually looked at the goals per games these players had at the same age or are you comparing him with them at their prime?

For example, when he'd just turned 23 Lewandowski had finished the previous season scoring 8 goals in 32 games so he wasn't exactly displaying this killer instinct.

The following season he started hitting the 20 goal mark and it was 5 years after that he start hitting 30 goals.

This idea that you can confidently say a player will never be good enough for this or for that when they are 21/22/23 is such a load of nonsense.

As for having the potential to reach the level of Sterling/Mane/Suarez, he matched Mane's numbers last season and wasn't far off Sterling's. Suarez at his prime is a totally different level to other two so I've no idea why he's lumped in with them.

united for life

I don't want him to lose the natural air of confidence the lad has but are we harming his long term prospects by making him think he's already an elite forward? I feel like his general game is so erratic and unpolished.

Said it before, he is a player capable of producing great moments but his overall 90 minute game leaves a lot to be desired on a regular basis. I genuinely do not think this lad can be a first team regular if we are looking to win big trophies unless he takes a big slice of humble pie and works really hard on all aspects of his game and simplifies it... i.e. becomes a work horse who understands his own limitations.

I think as a long term squad player he'd be a great asset to have around but I fear we have blown up his ego to such an extent - he would walk if he was told he's not good enough to make it here as a first team regular.
I think it is time to close this thread

acnumber9

This thread will get bumped for the wrong reason again at some point and then he’ll proceed to make them look like idiots all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.