Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micky Targaryen

He has very low level technical skills.

Things like receiving the ball on the foot away from the defender, diverting the ball into a good shooting angle with the first touch he doesn’t do.

The coaching stuff should be straight up with him about his lousy skills- that should burst his bubble.
Rashford has his issues, but technique is one thing you cannot criticize about him. His dribbling is very good and strikes the ball very well. It's decision making that's letting him down. And that's a mental issue which is something that can be developed over time. After all, he's still only 21 years old.

But many people are already dismissing a 21 year old kid.

HowieC

Rashford has his issues, but technique is one thing you cannot criticize about him. His dribbling is very good and strikes the ball very well. It's decision making that's letting him down. And that's a mental issue which is something that can be developed over time. After all, he's still only 21 years old.

I maintain his technique is very poor. Especially his dribbling. He can only hit and run. In any sort of tight space he cannot manipulate the ball through defenders or even to find space for a penetrating pass. Don't just watch his highlight videos, which feature few and far between successes such as his skill move to pass to Pogba last season.

In terms of receiving the ball and touching it into a good shooting position (think of Van Persie) he is terrible.

In terms of running with the ball without having to look down, he is very bad. When he looks up he often gets the ball jumbled at his feet.

In terms of dribbling with the ball close to his feet so he can do a simple shoulder drop and change direction he is bad. He often has to push the ball way forward past
the defender which results in him running the ball out of play.

I agree that the one area he is technically proficient is his striking of the ball.

Other than that, mediocre technically. Don't even get me started on heading and passing technique and game IQ.

pat dunne

Yes he has . The biggest one been that he is not good enough or never will be good enough to play for a top European club . Selling Lukaku and going into a premier league season with Rashford (who is not good enough ) or Martial (who could not be arsed) tells us how much out of their depth our current manager and his coaching staff are .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
All this “Rashy” love-in from Ole has gotten to his head. He believes all the hype and thinks he is the next CR7 or Mbappe, when he clearly isn’t. He needs to keep humble, working hard and for the team, instead of expecting the team to play for him.
This.

Godfather

Bis striking technique is decent but his dribbling is atrocious.

romufc

I wonder what Ole does in training? Ball over top for Rashford to run onto ?

There seems to be no improvement in his game in the final third, I know some managers play 5 v 5 to improve ball control in tight spaces, surely Ole must be getting these players to do that?

Rashford seems lost ever since the PSG penalty. He has not been himself in a very long time, dropped from the England 1st 11. I had high hopes for him.

-Supreme-

I wonder what Ole does in training? Ball over top for Rashford to run onto ?

There seems to be no improvement in his game in the final third, I know some managers play 5 v 5 to improve ball control in tight spaces, surely Ole must be getting these players to do that?

Rashford seems lost ever since the PSG penalty. He has not been himself in a very long time, dropped from the England 1st 11. I had high hopes for him.
I was told by the caf that he's been forced to play through an injury since that Liverpool game in February.

I guess we can find another excuse of blaming the manager of his training methods

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool

Do you know what happens to the vast majority of players who people think have 'potential'? They end up playing lower league football by the time they are 30.

Now this may not happen to Rashford, but I'd bet my house on a Walcott-esque career arc. He's already been getting top coaching and regular starts for years - he's not getting much better from here.

romufc

I was told by the caf that he's been forced to play through an injury since that Liverpool game in February.

I guess we can find another excuse of blaming the manager of his training methods
Yeah, the caf has mentioned that, but I have also seen why did he play on Thursday. My response to that is if you want to play for Manutd, you know you will be playing in Europe so 2 games a week. We don't see people complaining when Mane, Salah, Firminho play Napoli away (harder game) then Chelsea away and still be fine.

We finding an excuse to blame the manager? Mate have you seen the state of our play?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As is usually the case with English talent the media and footballing pundits didnt exactly help in hyping up Rashford abilities.
Remember the stick Jose would get for not playing him from Redkapp and the likes ?
In hindsight I think Jose's handling of Rashford was pretty good and it's something Rashford may yet still need.
But that's highly unlikely now.

Last edited:

-Supreme-

Yeah, the caf has mentioned that, but I have also seen why did he play on Thursday. My response to that is if you want to play for Manutd, you know you will be playing in Europe so 2 games a week. We don't see people complaining when Mane, Salah, Firminho play Napoli away (harder game) then Chelsea away and still be fine.

We finding an excuse to blame the manager? Mate have you seen the state of our play?
We are talking about Rashfords development here as a player and we need to stop finding excuses for his bad performances

romufc

We are talking about Rashfords development here as a player and we need to stop finding excuses for his bad performances
Exactly, there was enough excuses under Jose that he was not allowed to express himself etc..

Ole has done the opposite and done things over and beyond for Rashford's development. Starting him at ST which he failed, Selling Lukaku and Sanchez to and putting pressure on Rashford to deliver, he is failing at that at the moment.

What more does Rashford want? we can all find excuses but even Southgate has realised he isn't the player we all think he is.

I still think with a change of attitude and hard work he can be a top player.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
All these posts lumping Martial and Rashford together as if they have the same issues. Martial for one can actually finish and taking a gamble on him being our main striker actually does make sense.

Also bringing his number of goals as justification that he's not prolific enough to be gambled on for the main striker role doesn't make sense given he's played as a winger in his time at United.

I for one believe he'll score loads playing as a striker.

Baneofthegame

His decision making and temperament are what annoy me the most, makes a ridiculous decision and then loses his mind to make an even worse one following that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His decision making and temperament are what annoy me the most, makes a ridiculous decision and then loses his mind to make an even worse one following that.
Yep,Rashford is all emotion when he's playing for us.
For England he's more mentally composed primarily because 1. He's around better players ,and 2. He's not expected to be the 'main man' as that job's on Kane and now Sterling.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Said it when it wasn't popular and il say it again. He's a kick and rush footballer.

That's not to say he will always be that. He has ability to grow beyond that sort of a player but he needs to operate wide and not be burdened with being a main goal scoter so early.

dove

He has basically won the lottery. Very limited player who is not good enough in any position he plays. He will of course retire at United just like Lingard will but we won’t win anything with him in starting XI, especially as main striker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still very young of course, but there's always been massive concerns at him becoming the main guy.
He's way too streaky and has very definite strengths and weaknesses.

However on the salary we've pumped into him we're committed for the forseeable.

Going martial in the centre has to be a bit of a telling statement from Ole.

Maticmaker

Rashford is like all young players who break into the first team early, after a season or two they tend to 'hit a wall' of some kind, confidence goes, or over confidence sets in, wanting to play in a different position, technical development stalls, thinking there is an 'I' in team and its me, etc. all these things do at some stage appear. The manager needs to offer Marcus support but not to pander to any or all of these phases.

Despite his directness, Marcus isn't a C/F; his hold up play is lacking, his awareness of where others are is sometimes woeful and his positioning inside the box is still poor for a wannabe 'natural goal scorer'. IMO Rashford needs a partner up front, who either supplies him with opportunities to run at, or in behind defences, or someone who his speed and directness can provide his partner with similar opportunities.

The general unpredictability of the team at the moment isn't helping, but like all players, ultimately its what Marcus can find from within his own locker is what will determine his career progression, or his demise!

Winmove

Rashford has his issues, but technique is one thing you cannot criticize about him. His dribbling is very good and strikes the ball very well.
He only has 2 good attribute which is pace and shoot power , but even then he needs to be given plenty of time and space to pull that off which indicate a poor technique and if a player have to look down to dribble the ball then they aren't a good dribbler. His first touch is as poor as Lukaku , his link up play is mediocre, his hold up play is non-existence, his heading is shambolic , he doesn't anticipate cross and doesn't attack space. If we run like proper football club he would be in West Ham or Stoke kind of team today instead of giving him pay rise to be our poster boy.

Last edited:

-Supreme-

Exactly, there was enough excuses under Jose that he was not allowed to express himself etc..

Ole has done the opposite and done things over and beyond for Rashford's development. Starting him at ST which he failed, Selling Lukaku and Sanchez to and putting pressure on Rashford to deliver, he is failing at that at the moment.

What more does Rashford want? we can all find excuses but even Southgate has realised he isn't the player we all think he is.

I still think with a change of attitude and hard work he can be a top player.
Yep and it's beyond laughable that I see people coming up with fresh excuses now that he's been played too many games recently even though the season has just started

When will it become a time that he takes responsibility in his 5th season as a first team player?

red4ever 79

Now I dont actually like these two pr*cks. But can I just say - Whoever is taking those corners does a damn site better job than our team. Sign that person up

King_Cantona07

All this “Rashy” love-in from Ole has gotten to his head. He believes all the hype and thinks he is the next CR7 or Mbappe, when he clearly isn’t. He needs to keep humble, working hard and for the team, instead of expecting the team to play for him.
Ole has already realised martial is a better striker and I am sure he knows to spot a striker when he sees one. The proof is he never plays rashy in number 9 when martial is available. Ole will have better luck working with martial on number 9 skills. Rashford is in 5th first team season since graduating and has not shown any improvement in finishing which is more instinct-based skills. You either have number 9 anticipation or you dont. We are not talking of a player in second first team season to say he will improve, he may improve other skills but the finisher like thinking is not likely to come.

King_Cantona07

He has technique but only for shooting with power and run with touch into space. His running with ball tied to feet is not good, he often makes touches which are not apt (running with ball next to feet is good on James and never gives an impression he will lose ball easily even if hes like a flash). Rashford has zero technique to use left foot and have never seen him do a good side foot finish (the ones which Henry, Martial etc is famous for). His chance in last game would have been 3 points for us if he knew to shoot with left or do a side footed finish using right foot.

Reactions: Ødegaard

romufc

Yep and it's beyond laughable that I see people coming up with fresh excuses now that he's been played too many games recently even though the season has just started

When will it become a time that he takes responsibility in his 5th season as a first team player?
Played too many games? Other teams not complaining. Auba played Saturday, Thursday, Sunday as well and scored goals in the PL games.

Some people also said why did we offer him 200k, it wasn't as if United said here this is what you deserve, his agent got him a steal using the last year as bargain chip and flirting with Barca.

No doubt he has talent and ability, but someone HAS to sit him down and get through to him that he isn't a big player yet, he has NOT achieved anything at all. Sort your attitude out, and you will be judged on goals.

HowieC

He only has 2 good attribute which is pace and shoot power , but even then he needs to be given plenty of time and space to pull that off which indicate a poor technique and if a player have to look down to dribble the ball then they aren't a good dribbler. His first touch is as poor as Lukaku , his link up play is mediocre, his hold up play is non-existence, his heading is shambolic , he doesn't anticipate cross and doesn't attack space. If we run like proper football club he would be in West Ham or Stoke kind of team today instead of giving him pay rise to be our poster boy.
He isn't even good enough to play for West Ham. Take away all the hype over the years, and if he wasn't a United academy player, he is so far away from Haller's quality, let alone Sancho, Sterling, Bernardo, Kane, even Tammy Abraham.

The number 10 used to be given to the most skilled player with the silkiest of touches. Today it is worn by Rashy, a player who lucked into fame and 200k a week fortune.

Seems emblematic of United's fall from grace.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Played too many games? Other teams not complaining. Auba played Saturday, Thursday, Sunday as well and scored goals in the PL games.

Some people also said why did we offer him 200k, it wasn't as if United said here this is what you deserve, his agent got him a steal using the last year as bargain chip and flirting with Barca.

No doubt he has talent and ability, but someone HAS to sit him down and get through to him that he isn't a big player yet, he has NOT achieved anything at all. Sort your attitude out, and you will be judged on goals.
Wait you blame his agent for United giving him stupid contract? United got held to ransom by a guy who scored 10 league goals in his best season. Its not his or his agents fault the people running the club are incompetent

Last edited by a moderator:

manunited1919

So then that’s his 3rd good attribute, and the only one that seems to matter in our club nowadays. If Nani would have done some of the things Rashford does, he would have lasted half a season before SAF would have shipped him to Siberia.

romufc

Wait you blame his agent for United giving him stupid contract? United got held to ransom by a guy who scored 10 league goals in his best season. Its not his or his agents fault the people running the club are incompetent
No, I am not blaming his agent rather I am saying he done well. We all know what agents do, they will milk the club and it seems at the moment we fall for every bluff. What team would offer Rashford even 100k? none.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
No, I am not blaming his agent rather I am saying he done well. We all know what agents do, they will milk the club and it seems at the moment we fall for every bluff. What team would offer Rashford even 100k? none.
Agree. Rashford and his agent did well for themselves. But this happens when clubs are badly run. They get taken advantage of. United was in the same position Arsenal was in that they were desperate for good news after constantly being questioned and criticized. Thats how Ozil got 300k and thats how De Gea and Rashford got monster contacts.

FrenchRed

Too much hype and praise on a young player. I fear it's all gone to his head.

I've never been a fan as I have serious doubts about his decision making, dribbling and overall contribution to games... I have zero confidence that he will put away any chance he gets. To find him as our main choice cf is mind boggling.

Bringing him on off the bench at the end of games, learning his trade from an experienced player... Ok. Starter? Not a chance.

romufc

Agree. Rashford and his agent did well for themselves. But this happens when clubs are badly run. They get taken advantage of. United was in the same position Arsenal was in that they were desperate for good news after constantly being questioned and criticized. Thats how Ozil got 300k and thats how De Gea and Rashford got monster contacts.
Annoying because DDG had the power a year or 2 ago when Real and PSG were after them but it was the fact that they were both entering the final year of the contract.

What I don't get is that Rashford always says it is his dream to play for United etc.. then why would you hold the club hostage? you would want to prove yourself, even if they offered him a decent salary and say if tou hit 10 goals you get x 15 goals x and 20 goals x

Son

Do you know what happens to the vast majority of players who people think have 'potential'? They end up playing lower league football by the time they are 30.

Now this may not happen to Rashford, but I'd bet my house on a Walcott-esque career arc. He's already been getting top coaching and regular starts for years - he's not getting much better from here.
He was getting top level coaching for a few years now he is not. Hence why his development has stagnated.

It’s mostly footballing IQ with him but he can still be a great player if he learns to understand the game more. He’s still a bit young but physically is a beast.

Suedesi

I maintain his technique is very poor. Especially his dribbling. He can only hit and run. In any sort of tight space he cannot manipulate the ball through defenders or even to find space for a penetrating pass. Don't just watch his highlight videos, which feature few and far between successes such as his skill move to pass to Pogba last season.

In terms of receiving the ball and touching it into a good shooting position (think of Van Persie) he is terrible.

In terms of running with the ball without having to look down, he is very bad. When he looks up he often gets the ball jumbled at his feet.

In terms of dribbling with the ball close to his feet so he can do a simple shoulder drop and change direction he is bad. He often has to push the ball way forward past
the defender which results in him running the ball out of play.

I agree that the one area he is technically proficient is his striking of the ball.

Other than that, mediocre technically. Don't even get me started on heading and passing technique and game IQ.
Pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.