Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
No idea what happened to for him to click back after looking just completely shot of confidence but its amazing how quickly things can turn around.

Please keep him out wide, he loses so much of what makes him dangerous and great when he's stuck up front.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Honestly the biggest problem with him this season is that we are just too reliant on him never having a poor game.

I've never been so baffled about the criticism a player receives. He's 22 and he's at a level where he can drag his team to results against even the best sides. He's been one of the best players in the league this season barring a poor run of three or four games.

He'll have another run of poorer form before the season's out, as all forwards do, and all 22 year olds do, and yet the knives will be back out again....but I guess because it will mean our results will suffer because our squad is so thin.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This thread is everything what is wrong with a United fan these days.
Said this back in April about this thread and still stand by it. I'm sure many who agreed with this thread say "yeah fair play for proving me wrong etc" but that doesn't change the fact that this was a stupid thread.

VJ1762

See this is the problem. Ronaldo in 2006-2007 had 44 goal contributions(23 goals and 21 assists). In the next year he had 50 goal contributions. We put these players on a pedestal too soon.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
See this is the problem. Ronaldo in 2006-2007 had 44 goal contributions(23 goals and 21 assists). In the next year he had 50 goal contributions. We put these players on a pedestal too soon.
Rashy is already on 18. 40 isn't unrealistic if he keeps this form up.

Classical Mechanic

Try to actually read what Ole said

“It’s very easy to compare the two of them, yes. Both with skills, body shape, attitude, attributes – everything. The boy has every chance in the world to become a top, top player. Let’s hope he continues like this.”

“I don’t want to talk about the amount of goals,” he said. “As long as he keeps being positive and being direct and thinking about getting in front of the goal and getting chances, he’ll score goals.”

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

“It’s very easy to compare the two of them, yes. Both with skills, body shape, attitude, attributes – everything. The boy has every chance in the world to become a top, top player. Let’s hope he continues like this.”

“I don’t want to talk about the amount of goals,” he said. “As long as he keeps being positive and being direct and thinking about getting in front of the goal and getting chances, he’ll score goals.”
That's why you should read what was said instead of just reading the headline. I mean people still fall for click bait headlines, it's just hilarious.

Also Ronaldo didn't have 21 assists in 2006-07, as per transfermarkt it's 15 assists in PL but going by official stats, it's 8 assists

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I’ll give Ole the benefit of the doubt and assume that he’s judged it’s better for Rashford’s psychology when he’s playing without the pressure of how many goals he’s expected to score. But I guess that might be worse if he’s not got that mentality but I’d prefer it if he took the Ferguson route of giving Rashford and Martial targets for the season and having a friendly bet with them like he did Rooney and Ronaldo.

I’d challenge Rashford to get 20 goals and 15 assists and Martial to get 25 goals and 5 assists.

Classical Mechanic

I’ll give Ole the benefit of the doubt and assume that he’s judged it’s better for Rashford’s psychology when he’s playing without the pressure of how many goals he’s expected to score. But I guess that might be worse if he’s not got that mentality but I’d prefer it if he took the Ferguson route of giving Rashford and Martial targets for the season and having a friendly bet with them like he did Rooney and Ronaldo.

I’d challenge Rashford to get 20 goals and 15 assists and Martial to get 25 goals and 5 assists.
Rashford already has 13, there's no reason for him not to be aiming for 30. If you work out his average appearances over the past 3 seasons and project his current scoring and assisting rate over that he'd be on for 31 goals and 9 assists.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Rashford already has 13, there's no reason for him not to be aiming for 30. If you work out his average appearances over the past 3 seasons and project his current scoring and assisting rate over that he'd be on for 31 goals and 9 assists.
That may be so but he’s never scored more than 13 in a season so it wouldn’t have made a lot of sense setting him a season target of 30+ goals.

Classical Mechanic

That may be so but he’s never scored more than 13 in a season so it wouldn’t have made a lot of sense setting him a season target of 30+ goals.
He should be aiming to score more than 7 more goals in the season alone. He should be aiming to score that many by the end of January.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

The difficulty in that comparison is that we are undergoing a complete re-build. When Ronaldo came it, it was a team that was starting t peak. The support crew then was a quantum leap better (from Scholes, Keano, to RVN etc) than what we have now. Almost entirely made up of emerging kids.

InfiniteBoredom

That total shots amount for Ronaldo is quite insane :lol:, for all the criticisms about him being a show pony, being super wasteful in front of goal sure raised some hackles.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He should be aiming to score more than 7 more goals in the season alone. He should be aiming to score that many by the end of January.
I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that at the start of the season when targets were set he should have been challenging Rashford to score 20. I still think that 25 is a realistic target now, he's going to have a drought at some point, maybe two.

The difficulty in that comparison is that we are undergoing a complete re-build. When Ronaldo came it, it was a team that was starting t peak. The support crew then was a quantum leap better (from Scholes, Keano, to RVN etc) than what we have now. Almost entirely made up of emerging kids.
I think we need to shake off this mentality. You never get anywhere with a rebuild if you don't expect anything from your players. I'm not saying set them the same targets as Rooney and Ronaldo, I'm saying that you should be able to set targets for them and hold them to that expectation and they should be able to deal with that expectation and drive to exceed it.

Kids or not, they're not playing for the participation trophy, they still need to prove they are good enough for this club otherwise they will be replaced by players who are.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Rashford has an arrogance about him where he believes he can score from anywhere, a galvanising influence on his teammates, a desire to work on his game after training sessions etc. However, I don't believe the statistics people use for either of Rashford, and Ronaldo truly do them justice. The lad that misunderstood the quote from Ole tried to reduce Ronaldo's performances in 06/07 to goals and assists. At club level, many would argue that was his most aesthetically pleasing season of his career, and perhaps the combination of his athleticism/technical ability at its absolute peak before he sacrificed one aspect to go further in another area.

Because Rashford failed to register a goal or an assist against Bournemouth, his first touch which was noticeably excellent was quickly forgotten about. I like how the expression he's shown in an England shirt, as well as the exuberance at United's youth level is now being reflected for the Utd senior side. Even the games where Rashford didn't score or assist for England, there was a charisma about him. That wasn't necessarily the case for United (particularly under Jose) where even when he was scoring or assisting, he wasn't showing the same charisma.

M16Red

If he works on his heading he'll be even more dangerous; Ronnie score's a lot of goals with his head IIRC

Really happy to have a talent like him in our team - in fact there is lots of young talent in this team now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole made bad call with trying to make striker of him. But he realised that on time and now Rashford looks great on position where he is natural.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that at the start of the season when targets were set he should have been challenging Rashford to score 20. I still think that 25 is a realistic target now, he's going to have a drought at some point, maybe two.

I think we need to shake off this mentality. You never get anywhere with a rebuild if you don't expect anything from your players. I'm not saying set them the same targets as Rooney and Ronaldo, I'm saying that you should be able to set targets for them and hold them to that expectation and they should be able to deal with that expectation and drive to exceed it.

Kids or not, they're not playing for the participation trophy, they still need to prove they are good enough for this club otherwise they will be replaced by players who are.
I am sure Olé has given them tentative targets. Plus there will be incentives.

romufc

he's going to have a drought at some point, maybe two.
He did have a drought when we struggled to score goals and he was played as the ST.

The good thing about Ole is he recognised that after Martial came back and when Martial was out of the Spurs game he made a ballsy move by playing Greenwood rather than take the easy route of Rashford central.

pacifictheme

Honestly the biggest problem with him this season is that we are just too reliant on him never having a poor game.

I've never been so baffled about the criticism a player receives. He's 22 and he's at a level where he can drag his team to results against even the best sides. He's been one of the best players in the league this season barring a poor run of three or four games.

He'll have another run of poorer form before the season's out, as all forwards do, and all 22 year olds do, and yet the knives will be back out again....but I guess because it will mean our results will suffer because our squad is so thin.
The pogba of the 2019/20 season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole made bad call with trying to make striker of him. But he realised that on time and now Rashford looks great on position where he is natural.
Ole wanted to play him as CF, Jose played him as Wing back and finally he is playing in the best role, attacking the FBs instead of tracking the runs of FB :D

MrBest

This is so true. At least Ole gave it a go, maybe also forced due to injuries. The game against Spurs proved that Ole has now settled with Rashford as the left forward when he put Greenwood in the middle. 2 months ago he would not have done this and possibly started Andreas on the right. I do not want to burst my own bubble, but maybe Ole does know what he is doing.

Member 119614

As good as he plays right and despite the similarity of the stats I can't compare him to Ronaldo at Utd. Ronaldo had that special thing. Whenever he received the ball anticipation rose immensely in the stands.
Rashford has played so many mediocre games that you can never be quite sure which version you're going to see on match day.

As for playing style there are similarities but I honestly didn't see them before the comparisons started to emerge this past week. The only comparable aspect I ever saw was his shooting technique.

All of this is in reality of no importance, fact is he is unplayable now and long may it continue.

Jinn

Just like the current team, he needs to be consistent. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.