Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Rashford has vastly improved his mentality and attitude. He was going through a period of selfishness that comes with an inflated ego. The "ego bubble" has burst and he's a much better player for it.
I think people forget how young he is. He burst onto the scene and then had a lull. It is common in many, many young players in particular forwards. Add that to the fact Utd as a team were going through an awful period and he had basically the weight of the world on his shoulders. The lack of patience from some supports is astonishing

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Comparing stats for this season across all competitions:

Sterling (36 G+A) : 27 goals, 9 assists in 3572 minutes - 132 min/goal, 396 min/assist, 99 min/g+a
Jimenez (36 G+A) : 26 goals, 10 assists in 4133 minutes - 158 min/goal, 413 min/assist, 114 min/g+a
Salah (35 G+A) : 23 goals, 12 assists in 3956 minutes - 172 min/goal, 329 min/assist, 113 min/g+a
KDB (34 G+A) : 13 goals, 21 assists in 3376 minutes - 259 min/goal, 160 min/assist, 99 min/g+a
Mane (33 G+A) : 21 goals, 12 assists in 3607 minutes - 171 min/goal, 300 min/assist, 109 min/g+a
Vardy (30 G+A) : 23 goals, 7 assists in 3248 minutes - 141 min/goal, 464 min/assist, 108 min/g+a
Martial (30 G+A) : 22 goals, 8 assists in 3125 minutes - 142 min/goal, 390 min/assist, 104 min/g+a
Son: (30 G+A) : 18 goals, 12 assists in 3005 minutes - 166 min/goal, 250 min/assist, 100 min/g+a
Aguero (27 G+A) : 23 goals, 4 assists in 2092 minutes - 90 min/goal, 418 min/assist, 77 min/g+a
Ings (26 G+A) : 23 goals, 3 assists in 2919 minutes - 126 min/goal, 973 min/assist, 112 min/g+a
Auba (25 G+A) : 23 goals, 2 assists in 3365 minutes - 146 min/goal, 1682 min/assist, 134 min/g+a
Kane (23 G+A) : 21 goals, 2 assists in 2860 minutes - 136 min/goal, 1430 min/assist, 124 min/g+a

Rashford (33 G+A) : 22 goals, 11 assists in 3019 minutes - 137 min/goal, 274 min/assist - 91 min/g+a

Only Sterling, Aguero, Ings and Kane have scored at a faster rate, and only Ageuro has a better rate of goal/assist contribution.

Also, of course I did Bruno's numbers, but it's England + Portugal :
Bruno ( 45 G+A) : 23 goals, 22 assists in 3830 minutes - 166 min/goal, 174 min/assist - 85 min/g+a

Edit: Rashford is over 2 years younger than the next person on the list - Martial (who himself is a full year younger than the next person on the list - Sterling).
That pretty much sums it up. This kid is a special talent and has been since his first arrival in the first team. My only regret is that Ole wasn't managing him sooner...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He is United's POTY but he definitely needed some bubble bursting at one point. He has cut off those totally unnecessary long shots. His teamwork and passing are actually his strongpoint now
I agree. I don’t think it was inevitable that he would overcome that ego issue if someone like Mourinho remained in charge. Ole coming has been vital - tbf any half decent human would have brought the best out of Rashford as he seems like a good lad - it’s just Mourinho was creating a toxic environment and poisoning a lot of players and their relationships with fans and with each other.

Fridge chutney

"No technique"
"Poor dribbling"
"Poor passing"
"Worse than Welbeck"
"Never be a player at a top club"

I just wonder what causes some "fans" to draw such ludicrous opinions about a 21 year old talent in a struggling team so definitively.

As a forum, we tend to rate players outside the club much more favourably than those within it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Comparing stats for this season across all competitions:

Sterling (36 G+A) : 27 goals, 9 assists in 3572 minutes - 132 min/goal, 396 min/assist, 99 min/g+a
Jimenez (36 G+A) : 26 goals, 10 assists in 4133 minutes - 158 min/goal, 413 min/assist, 114 min/g+a
Salah (35 G+A) : 23 goals, 12 assists in 3956 minutes - 172 min/goal, 329 min/assist, 113 min/g+a
KDB (34 G+A) : 13 goals, 21 assists in 3376 minutes - 259 min/goal, 160 min/assist, 99 min/g+a
Mane (33 G+A) : 21 goals, 12 assists in 3607 minutes - 171 min/goal, 300 min/assist, 109 min/g+a
Vardy (30 G+A) : 23 goals, 7 assists in 3248 minutes - 141 min/goal, 464 min/assist, 108 min/g+a
Martial (30 G+A) : 22 goals, 8 assists in 3125 minutes - 142 min/goal, 390 min/assist, 104 min/g+a
Son: (30 G+A) : 18 goals, 12 assists in 3005 minutes - 166 min/goal, 250 min/assist, 100 min/g+a
Aguero (27 G+A) : 23 goals, 4 assists in 2092 minutes - 90 min/goal, 418 min/assist, 77 min/g+a
Ings (26 G+A) : 23 goals, 3 assists in 2919 minutes - 126 min/goal, 973 min/assist, 112 min/g+a
Auba (25 G+A) : 23 goals, 2 assists in 3365 minutes - 146 min/goal, 1682 min/assist, 134 min/g+a
Kane (23 G+A) : 21 goals, 2 assists in 2860 minutes - 136 min/goal, 1430 min/assist, 124 min/g+a

Rashford (33 G+A) : 22 goals, 11 assists in 3019 minutes - 137 min/goal, 274 min/assist - 91 min/g+a

Only Sterling, Aguero, Ings and Kane have scored at a faster rate, and only Ageuro has a better rate of goal/assist contribution.

Also, of course I did Bruno's numbers, but it's England + Portugal :
Bruno ( 45 G+A) : 23 goals, 22 assists in 3830 minutes - 166 min/goal, 174 min/assist - 85 min/g+a

Edit: Rashford is over 2 years younger than the next person on the list - Martial (who himself is a full year younger than the next person on the list - Sterling).
He might prove himself to be Championship level yet.

Giggsy13

All this thread demonstrates is how how toxic and impatient our supporters have become. Rashford would you walk into the starting 11 of any of our rivals. We’re lucky to have him and should be proud that he’s one of our own.

sp_107

All this thread demonstrates is how how toxic and impatient our supporters have become. Rashford would you walk into the starting 11 of any of our rivals. We’re lucky to have him and should be proud that he’s one of our own.

To be honest our fans are more patient and give time to players, If Martial was like last 4 years at Barca/Madrid they would have got rid of him long time back.

UTD fans like to point the drawbacks of players but are very forgiving and patient, Ask Fellaini, Mata, Anderson, Darmian, Phil Jones and Lingard if anyone is not sure :)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don’t know about that.

Man City: Aguero, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo.

Liverpool: Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Rashford would get into them 11’s after a while of training in their systems and tactical set up, but I am not quite sure that he would be able to walk straight into the 11.

El Jefe

I've been saying this for a while now, he's the most overrated player in the PL. In fact struggle to think of a more overrated player in Europe.

The second our opponents shut down the space in behind he becomes pointless. Somehow he seems to have enchanted the English media and a large section of United fans into thinking he's a nailed on world beater.

If he wasn't a local lad, there's a very big possibility he'd be on loan. Good player with good potential but the expectation and responsibility he's given is far beyond what he's capable of.
My post over a year ago has aged so badly :lol:

Tbf to myself, Rashford's game and position has changed since this post was made. Back then, he was way too individualistic for my liking. He was taking shots from wild distances, shooting at goal on set pieces from crossing angles, and running into blind alleys leading to a loss of possession.

Now he's much much selfless and more likely to pass when 30 yards out than to shoot. He's finally linking up with his full back but also playing very smart. The responsibility placed on him has also reduced now that we have other top attackers in the team now.

So while I was wrong on his potential, he is a totally different player now and I'm 100% on the Rashford train.

lysglimt

Scout
I have always rated Rashford but I have also always criticised him for one thing - and I stand by that. He does not get enough tap-in goals - and I think I wrote a few years ago that Rashford will never get 20 league goals (excluding penalties) - but I would love for him to prove me wrong.

But I feel he will be a scorer of great goals rather than a great goalscorer.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It might be a bit off-topic and petty but I'm still so wound up over your man Flex from The United Stand referring to him as 'Rashford', and almost in a way that suggested he was trying to get it trending.

The guy is so talented. This playmaking has come out of nowhere and its so impressive and in all honesty I didn't know if he'd ever gain composure in front of goal to this degree but it looks like he has done. I'm so excited for the next 10 years with Rashford featuring in our first team, and he will be.

Dare I say Rooney best watch out.

OverratedOpinion

I don’t know about that.

Man City: Aguero, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo.

Liverpool: Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Rashford would get into them 11’s after a while of training in their systems and tactical set up, but I am not quite sure that he would be able to walk straight into the 11.
Starts over Mahrez and Bernardo moved to midfield.

Starts over Firmino.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I love the way he uses 'flashy' skill efficiently.

So many players out there use flashy skill for the sake of it but he seems to really do it when there's a genuine need for it. He picks his moments.

I love that. Some players never learn that even if they are incredibly talented (love you Nani).

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It might be a bit off-topic and petty but I'm still so wound up over your man Flex from The United Stand referring to him as 'Rashford', and almost in a way that suggested he was trying to get it trending.

The guy is so talented. This playmaking has come out of nowhere and its so impressive and in all honesty I didn't know if he'd ever gain composure in front of goal to this degree but it looks like he has done. I'm so excited for the next 10 years with Rashford featuring in our first team, and he will be.

Dare I say Rooney best watch out.
Incidentally, Rooney only had 4 seasons where he's bettered Rashford's current numbers in the league:

13/14: 17 goals, 12 assists.
11/12: 27 goals, 7 assists
09/10: 26 goals, 5 assists
06/07: 14 goals, 12 assists

Rashford is on 17 goals, 9 assists and we still have 2 games to go.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Goals from penalties are worth less than from open play? What about tap ins?
Oh come on. In the context of using the number of goals to prove how good a player is, penalties are definitely worth a little less. Not worth less in the actual match, just in this particular type of evaluation. And no one mentioned tap ins.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have always rated Rashford but I have also always criticised him for one thing - and I stand by that. He does not get enough tap-in goals - and I think I wrote a few years ago that Rashford will never get 20 league goals (excluding penalties) - but I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Marginal offsides and a brilliant last ditch block denied him three tap-ins in the last two games. Agree he should have scored more up until now but the service hasn’t been great and his game is still evolving.

Fletchageddon

Honestly some of you would complain about Messi if he played for us. Enjoy him, enjoy Martial, enjoy Mason. They are special.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Dont really get you.

If we buy a player thats bad at first (you doubt his ability, "i dont think he is good enough") and then he becomes world class. If you are not happy to be proven wrong there, then your motives and agenda is questionable. It is completely normal to have doubts over a player and then to be proven wrong.
There is a world of difference between people with doubts and people who literally declare they think a player is rubbish and they'd be happy to be proved wrong. To add the later caveat is strange indeed. It literally means one would be happy to look stupid

forevrared

It's not really something you'd expect from him playing from the left, though, is it? He's much more involved in the build-up and spends a lot of time in the channels trying to provide those types of goals rather than scoring them.

Of course, we really don't even know what sort of player he'll end up being. We've only seen part of one full season with Ole at the wheel and United headed back towards playing attacking football. He's much more reminiscent of the 2006-2008 Ronaldo we had than the 2010-2015 version in Madrid. Maybe he'll make the same transition, but the former was enough to win us titles and a Champions League.

mav_9me

Marginal offsides and a brilliant last ditch block denied him three tap-ins in the last two games. Agree he should have scored more up until now but the service hasn’t been great and his game is still evolving.
Agree with both. What I do find interesting is he had always made brilliant runs in behind and never had the service. But his in the box runs haven't always been great. But as you said his game is evolving and these are things to work on and develop. Not like for ex RVP was a great goal scorer at 22...

He has already shown how his passing and general play has immeasurably improved. Look here.

Ludens the Red

Here's some genius comments and I only looked at the first 2 pages.

The Welbeck comparison should be framed at the top of the Caf home page
This thread should be bumped every week regardless of what Rashford does. Just to shame those responsible for those garbage comments.

Andersonson

How many u23 left wingers get" tap in" goals in the top 3 leagues?

And how do they compare to Rashford?

You dont know how to answer, do you?

lysglimt

Scout
How many u23 left wingers get" tap in" goals in the top 3 leagues?

And how do they compare to Rashford?

You dont know how to answer, do you?
Some people have that instinct for being in the right place at the right time - Rashford hasn't got it - and probably never will. Instead he scores goals that are much more difficult to score - but hopefully OGS can give him some ideas of what he should do differently.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some people have that instinct for being in the right place at the right time - Rashford hasn't got it - and probably never will. Instead he scores goals that are much more difficult to score - but hopefully OGS can give him some ideas of what he should do differently.
“I wasn't born with the ability to move in front of goal. I studied finishing, I studied goals, I studied movement, I worked on my mentality because that's key.
“I think Marcus Rashford has got the motivation and inspiration himself to become the best he can be. He practises a lot, he's got so much more than I had in the physical attributes - his pace and strength, striking from outside the box.

”Maybe I can give him a little bit of that nous that I had in the box - your movement to get free, that little bit of calmness in front of goal. But it's easy to say when I was 27, 28 or 29 because Marcus is 21 and still learning.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-on-the-art-of-goalscoring

This was from Ole when he took over, everything can be taught, yes even movement. That's to do with mentality and just this season you can see Rashford getting into many goalscoring positions. With age and experience they will learn how to create extra bit of space too.

GazTheLegend

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-on-the-art-of-goalscoring

This was from Ole when he took over, everything can be taught, yes even movement. That's to do with mentality and just this season you can see Rashford getting into many goalscoring positions. With age and experience they will learn how to create extra bit of space too.
Great post and reinforces in my mind why Ole was the right man for the club

Who better to improve young strikers who's one problem is poaching

It's scary to think that they're not even 25 yet.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great post and reinforces in my mind why Ole was the right man for the club

Who better to improve young strikers who's one problem is poaching

It's scary to think that they're not even 25 yet.
Yeah, there are few things to complain about Ole but his man management and few of the improvements in some young players is just superb.

Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Shaw all played their best season of their careers (People might disagree with Shaw but IMO he is very good player now). Then Greenwood in his first professional season is looking very good.

We have very good attack now.

Status
Not open for further replies.