Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That goal doesn’t get enough credit in the midst of an awful display by the team. Stunning... goal of the season contender the way he waltzed through that defence. Only issue is we need to get him into those positions more often when he’s running at a unorganised defence kind of like how Arsenal and Everton switch it out to Richarlison and Auba at the right moment whereas we tend to build up slowly down Rashford flank.

Gazza

Yeah, that’s a good point. I just look within the game itself and there are examples of players who don’t bother with social media and therefore probably don’t have the stress of dealing with trolls. From my point of view, those players have the right idea, as it’s less hassle. It’s a sad indictment of society that people are forced to make such a choice though. I totally appreciate it’s shit we’re having a debate about whether posting on Twitter is worth it for fear of having to receive vile abuse. Rashford should be able to use such a platform for good without all the nonsense he’s getting.
I dunno, he'll probably say it's been worth it considering he has helped provide millions of people with much needed help during crisis times. Like you say, it's hassle, but those who try to help prompt change in society rarely have it easy. Good on him for taking the flak and responding positively, I say.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
To be fair he was our lone out ball, which 99% of teams would implement the same tactic when defending a lead.

Whether or not he should have been back helping is a tactical decision.
I'm not asking him to come back into our third and defend but when the ball is near midfield being passed across the field and he doesn't run or press, just jogs n stops casually it does frustrate me. Very different from when he first came on the scene where he had a tevez like energy

rollingstoned1

That goal doesn’t get enough credit in the midst of an awful display by the team. Stunning... goal of the season contender the way he waltzed through that defence. Only issue is we need to get him into those positions more often when he’s running at a unorganised defence kind of like how Arsenal and Everton switch it out to Richarlison and Auba at the right moment whereas we tend to build up slowly down Rashford flank.
this is a bit of an exaggeration. until he ended up scoring off a deflection at the end i was worried that the chance would go a begging.

Red_toad

this is a bit of an exaggeration. until he ended up scoring off a deflection at the end i was worried that the chance would go a begging.
Pretty normal response, but guy has been pretty lethal with the chances he gotten so far this season. I'm pretty ashamed at how much hate he gets from our fans, expectations on him are insane, he's not prime Messi or Ronaldo. Plays in a team with a mishmash midfield and defence. Coaches need to coach better and owners need to invest in the team.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I dunno, he'll probably say it's been worth it considering he has helped provide millions of people with much needed help during crisis times. Like you say, it's hassle, but those who try to help prompt change in society rarely have it easy. Good on him for taking the flak and responding positively, I say.
Yes, he’s done an incredible job.

On the pitch, he’s had a good week, and I really hope he can keep up that level of consistency. We desperately need him to.

Eddy_JukeZ

If someone like Mane or Auba scored that, you'd have the entire forum of their respective fans fawning over it constantly for a week straight.

But because it's Rashford, it's downplayed.

It was a stunning goal. The ball was going in without the deflection either way.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Pretty normal response, but guy has been pretty lethal with the chances he gotten so far this season. I'm pretty ashamed at how much hate he gets from our fans, expectations on him are insane, he's not prime Messi or Ronaldo. Plays in a team with a mishmash midfield and defence. Coaches need to coach better and owners need to invest in the team.
Same, its a disgrace.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s a good point, and when you think about it, the guy has all of the tools to be a truly elite forward.
This is why I find it easy to be patient with him despite the frustrating moments he can still understandably have (he's young after all). At some point, I think he will turn into a sick footballer with consistent classy performances.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's because most of our fans are morons who don't recognise a special talent. The amount of stick Rashford takes is hilarious.

RUCK4444

What I like about Rashford is that in some instances he has great calmness and clarity in front of goal. Not everyone has that
Yeah I really like that about him, he will often sell the dummy shot and chop back onto his other foot in front of goal which is risky but he’s very good at it and often creates a more clear cut chance through it.

kouroux

Yeah I really like that about him, he will often sell the dummy shot and chop back onto his other foot in front of goal which is risky but he’s very good at it and often creates a more clear cut chance through it.
It always works because defenders will always throw themselves. It's a simple but very effective skill.

lysglimt

Scout
It’s a good point, and when you think about it, the guy has all of the tools to be a truly elite forward.
I think he has all the tools to be an elite player - but I still question if he has the tools to be an elite goalscorer. I struggle to think of more than 4-5 tap-in goals he has scored in his career. The kind Ruud scored 20 of each season. He doesn't anticipate where the ball is gonna land in the box. But he has is so skilled with the ball that he will score a lot of really good goals.

kouroux

I think he has all the tools to be an elite player - but I still question if he has the tools to be an elite goalscorer. I struggle to think of more than 4-5 tap-in goals he has scored in his career. The kind Ruud scored 20 of each season. He doesn't anticipate where the ball is gonna land in the box. But he has is so skilled with the ball that he will score a lot of really good goals.
Ruud was exceptionnal in that regard, that kinda instinct is rare. Rashford can be a different but still great player for us

Snuffkin

He's very one-footed, which means he is predictable. Having said that he has pace and nerves of steel. I cant see him ever having massive dips in confidence.
I also think it's harsh to say he has no goalscorers instinct. He hasn't played in the teams Ruud played in with the service he got. Marcus is a diligent dude I've never seen him sulk even in the Mourinho era.

rollingstoned1

If someone like Mane or Auba scored that, you'd have the entire forum of their respective fans fawning over it constantly for a week straight.

But because it's Rashford, it's downplayed.

It was a stunning goal. The ball was going in without the deflection either way.
you could easily turn this on it's head and say if that deflection had gone out you'd get a lot of toxic bile on here and it really wasn't that far away from just that. this place can run the whole gamut at the best of times, regardless of what rival players do or don't do.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not many players are elite goal-scorers.

You don't need to be an elite goal-scorer to be a great player.

cyberman

Because Ruud played as a 9 with winger each side. Inside forwards rarely score tap ins. Thats a really unfair conparison to make. Its Martial who should be in the centre putting those away.
You never saw Ronaldo score tap ins for us

Banana Republic

Nice goal today but he is still way too inconsistent for me. His high energy pressing has all but disappeared. Look at the 3/4 minutes before brightons second goal. He was practically strolling around not defending from the front at all.
I'm not asking him to come back into our third and defend but when the ball is near midfield being passed across the field and he doesn't run or press, just jogs n stops casually it does frustrate me. Very different from when he first came on the scene where he had a tevez like energy
Rashford isn’t the only one of our forwards and midfield players who are guilty of failing to press properly, if at all.
Rio’s analysis and criticism of our poor defending yesterday, extended just as much to the midfield and to the forward players complete failing to press and carry out defensive duties higher up the pitch.

We’ve got too many players who jog casually towards opposition players in possession of the ball, but then give up before even getting to within 3, 4 or 5 yards and showing absolutely no intent of putting any pressure on them, never mind wanting to get physical.
It’s not a new thing either, it’s being getting like this for a few seasons., even when we were on a winning streak.

Rashford has turned into one of the guilty ones and you’d have to blind not to see it.
Martial has always been far worst. He’s just not interested at all when we’re not in possession.
As Rio pointed out correctly about yesterday’s match, none of the front players are putting the work in.
There’s a stark contrast between the poor defensive work rate of Utd’s forwards and attacking midfield, compared to most clubs in the EPL.

Yes it was a great individual goal yesterday, but the boy went straight back to making mistakes, poor positioning and jogging around carelessly afterwards. At least he wasn’t as bad as against Palace last week.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's a 20+ goal a season player at 22/23.

Worth remembering that at that age Mane was at Red Bull Salzburg and you'd never heard of him, Salah was being loaned out to random clubs by Chelsea because he couldn't even hack the Premier League.

If he stays as good as he is now he'll be a really good player, and he still has a lot of time to develop and step up a level or two.

This thread was never going to age well.

lysglimt

Scout
Because Ruud played as a 9 with winger each side. Inside forwards rarely score tap ins. Thats a really unfair conparison to make. Its Martial who should be in the centre putting those away.
Not really - there are a lot of times each game where we put in crosses from the right - and Rashford is nowhere near getting on the end of it. It is an area of his game he must improve.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not really - there are a lot of times each game where we put in crosses from the right - and Rashford is nowhere near getting on the end of it. It is an area of his game he must improve.
Definitely think he can still improve positionally in some scenarios but I don't remember many games where we were ptting decent balls in from the right? Usually Bissaka is left to play out there on his own. It's only since Greenwood has started playing regularly that we have any semblence of balance on the right, and he prefers to come inside similar to Rashford.

cyberman

Who crosses? AWB? Greenwood doesnt. You arent getting a tap in chance from him.
All of our proper attacking play comes down his side, he cant have the ball on the edge of the box and still be there to tap it in?
We arent a crossing team, whuch is ok because a lot of top sides arent.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd love to see him play regularly with Sancho on the other wing. I think he'd score even more. Hope the front 3 and midfield can pick up their fitness and collective work rate though. Frankly the way to beat Brighton is to press their central midfielders and centre halves, all the top teams have done it except us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Rashford isn’t the only one of our forwards and midfield players who are guilty of failing to press properly, if at all.
Rio’s analysis and criticism of our poor defending yesterday, extended just as much to the midfield and to the forward players complete failing to press and carry out defensive duties higher up the pitch.

We’ve got too many players who jog casually towards opposition players in possession of the ball, but then give up before even getting to within 3, 4 or 5 yards and showing absolutely no intent of putting any pressure on them, never mind wanting to get physical.
It’s not a new thing either, it’s being getting like this for a few seasons., even when we were on a winning streak.

Rashford has turned into one of the guilty ones and you’d have to blind not to see it.
Martial has always been far worst. He’s just not interested at all when we’re not in possession.
As Rio pointed out correctly about yesterday’s match, none of the front players are putting the work in.
There’s a stark contrast between the poor defensive work rate of Utd’s forwards and attacking midfield, compared to most clubs in the EPL.

Yes it was a great individual goal yesterday, but the boy went straight back to making mistakes, poor positioning and jogging around carelessly afterwards. At least he wasn’t as bad as against Palace last week.
Agreed. Martial and a few others have always been poor at this. Rashford was good when he first started which makes it more disappointing.

Idxomer

I remember him scoring his share of tap-ins, especially in his last 2 seasons.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's a 20+ goal a season player at 22/23.

Worth remembering that at that age Mane was at Red Bull Salzburg and you'd never heard of him, Salah was being loaned out to random clubs by Chelsea because he couldn't even hack the Premier League.

If he stays as good as he is now he'll be a really good player, and he still has a lot of time to develop and step up a level or two.

This thread was never going to age well.
What this guy said.

cyberman

Berbatov might disagree there :angel:
Thats true. He also had a tap at the back post n against West Ham or somebody but you would think a man who scored so many goals for us would have a lot more. He really turned into a different (lesser imo) player when he moved to Madrid.

kouroux

Thats true. He also had a tap at the back post n against West Ham or somebody but you would think a man who scored so many goals for us would have a lot more. He really turned into a different (lesser imo) player when he moved to Madrid.
Lesser is harsh for me, less entertaining maybe.

What I like about Rashford is that in some instances he has great calmness and clarity in front of goal. Not everyone has that
At the same time, he often takes a 1v1 and completely fluffs it. Calmness in front of goal is not something you'd associate with Rashford at this stage in his career.

It was a great goal but running at a disorganised defence like that, we already know he's good at that and will score from those positions. I want to see more of him threading through a packed defence or making intelligent runs across defenders. That's where his progress will come from.

Cloud7

I really don't see how any United fan can not love Rashford. The guy is a hell of a player on the field, and off of it he's doing some amazing charity work.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Rooney was a prodigy and this whole playing himself into form only started years into his career. Young rooney was a beast and made important contributions in practically every game he played. All united fans want him to do well and improve. He's done very well so far but he needs to work on those things 11101 said to become a world class player.

kouroux

At the same time, he often takes a 1v1 and completely fluffs it. Calmness in front of goal is not something you'd associate with Rashford at this stage in his career.

It was a great goal but running at a disorganised defence like that, we already know he's good at that and will score from those positions. I want to see more of him threading through a packed defence or making intelligent runs across defenders. That's where his progress will come from.
"In some instances", you may have missed this part of my post

Status
Not open for further replies.