Is it time to burst “Rashy’s” bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

That is partially true, but I guess you know more than professional pundits who all said PSG played poorly, they were lethargic and didn’t look at full fitness.

We ran 7km more than them, they looked sluggish and out of sorts. Credit to United but don’t pretend PSG were at their peak condition like in last seasons CL, because they weren’t.
I have my own eyes yes. Its like you want to believe this, there must be an argument to be won that Im not seeing

Withnail

Lukakus big game record apart from ironically the Paris game in 2019 was dreadful. Worlds apart from Rashford who continually scores against the top 6 and in huge games. Again - I wouldn’t say Rashford was dreadful when he pops up with a moment of genius like that in a away game in the CL.

Did you not watch players like Ruud or Rooney?In half their games sometimes the all round play flattered to deceive but when Ruud scored two to win a game or when Rooney slammed in his overhead kick against City, who cares?

Rashford in 2020/2021 now has 4 goals and 2 assists in 6 games. He’s personally been brilliant with a 1:1 goal and assist to game ratio. Well on track to match and beat his record last season.

PSG not top 3 in the world at the moment because of fitness levels? That makes no sense because we didn’t have a pre season either - the same for most teams! So surely you can’t take that into account as it’s a disadvantage for everyone. Who is the top 3 teams in the world “at the moment”? Everton, Aston Villa and Real Sociedad? Come on now.
Not taking anything away from United's performance as we were missing players too but that team on the pitch was missing a fair few first choice players and had a pedestrian midfield so yes it is completely overblown to describe them as a top 3 team in the world.

Their front three may be World Class but a Top 3 team in the world isn't bringing on that Kean lad when they are chasing a win.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Shut me up by the end of the game, but those two opportunities beforehand are keeping him from genuinely entering that Kane, Salah, Mane bracket.

But as others have said, we probably don't appreciate his age because we were spoiled with 21 year old peak Rooney and Ronaldo.

Not taking anything away from United's performance as we were missing players too but that team on the pitch was missing a fair few first choice players and had a pedestrian midfield so yes it is completely overblown to describe them as a top 3 team in the world.

Their front three may be World Class but a Top 3 team in the world isn't bringing on that Kean lad when they are chasing a win.
I understand that they had injures as did we but at this moment in time meaning yesterday, apart from Bayern and maybe Liverpool what other opposition could we have faced that would’ve posed a greater challenge? That’s what I mean in saying a top 3 team as I don’t think Madrid, Barca, City, Juve etc would’ve been a bigger challenge than PSG in their current state last night.

Every other potential “top 3” team has their injuries and weaknesses at this moment in time so it is only right that the Champions League finalists has the biggest claim to that “top 3” title.

EDIT: The fact that no one including you, The Holy Trinity and myself gave Utd a 0% chance of winning this game also strengthens this claim.

Last edited:

Withnail

I understand that they had injures as did we but at this moment in time meaning yesterday, apart from Bayern and maybe Liverpool what other opposition could we have faced that would’ve posed a greater challenge? That’s what I mean in saying a top 3 team as I don’t think Madrid, Barca, City, Juve etc would’ve been a bigger challenge than PSG in their current state last night.

Every other potential “top 3” team has their injuries and weaknesses at this moment in time so it is only right that the Champions League finalists has the biggest claim to that “top 3” title.

EDIT: The fact that no one including you, The Holy Trinity and myself gave Utd a 0% chance of winning this game also strengthens this claim.
Really? My match prediction was 2-2 and I thought we'd sneak it. I even put 50quid on Draw No Bet so yeah I did give us a chance of winning it.

Mainoldo

I’ve been saying for a year now he’s just a young Cavani and I’m standing by it. The same reason why I was so angry with him last night will probably be the same reason Cavani is going to get on my nerves when he starts playing. Complete moments of brainfarts then a flash of brilliance. Will he ever get this out of his game.. probably not. But if he can hit a standard where his best moments match that of a Cavani we have a real player on our books.

Whoever made this Ronaldo comparisons when he was young. Just stop it. This is nothing alike. He’s 22 now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’ve been saying for a year now he’s just a young Cavani and I’m standing by it. The same reason why I was so angry with him last night will probably be the same reason Cavani is going to get on my nerves when he starts playing. Complete moments of brainfarts then a flash of brilliance. Will he ever get this out of his game.. probably not. But if he can hit a standard where his best moments match that of a Cavani we have a real player on our books.

Whoever made this Ronaldo comparisons when he was young. Just stop it. This is nothing alike. He’s 22 now.
Id say he’s nearer a young raw Andy Cole. Cole was 24 when he moved to Utd and was every bit as infuriating even though he’d already scored 50 odd goals fir Newcastle. He really worked on his game though

Inigo Montoya

Shut me up by the end of the game, but those two opportunities beforehand are keeping him from genuinely entering that Kane, Salah, Mane bracket.

But as others have said, we probably don't appreciate his age because we were spoiled with 21 year old peak Rooney and Ronaldo.
Those two did not hit their peak at 21.

Falcow

Fully agree with you. The problem with him is that he tends to over think it. Just put the head down and go for it, no need to be over fancy, do the simple things well which is what got you into the team in the first place and stay humble.

He also need to stop putting his foot on the ball and delaying, his strength is his pace and power.

Anyway, great goal, he seems to have found form again which is great, hope he kicks on again this season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think the criticism of Rashford has been justified. He has looked a shadow of himself since lockdown. That's why fans are frustrated with him, as they know he's a good player on his day.

He just doesn't seem to affect the game, and his body language has been all wrong when things aren't going well. Obviously a great goal and that is what we want more of from him.

Rio said it best when he said Rashford needs to add the poachers goals and increase his numbers. He also needs to up his work rate and tracking back, because if he isn't scoring or assisting, he offers little else recently.
What a stupid post.

Pav1878

This forum is on a wind up. There's no other explanation. You will happily judge Maguire over one game but not a great season like last season then say you can't judge Rashford against the champions League finalists.

I'm reporting every single one of these posts because I'm about done with logging on redcafe to see people continually slating our players and team for seemingly no other reason than an agenda or worse - looking for bites like you've got here.
Excuse me but I'm not saying Rashford isn't a good player, I'm saying you can't compare players over one game. What's the problem?

Pav1878

People cheered after his goal, but he got his share of criticism. That seems fair as he fecked up a couple of times.

I don't think anybody is saying we should bench him for missed chances, so don't know what's the fuss about.
Exactly. Some of us are just pointing out he hasn't been his usual self these past few months and are getting called clueless etc. The clueless ones are those pile praise on a player without seeing his shortcomings, and those who criticise without seeing the good things he's done.

Pav1878

What a stupid post.
What part of that is stupid? I am just saying he is a good player but hasn't been performing to his usual standards these past few months. But good to see him getting back amongst the goals recently.

Every player has stuff they can work on and imo, his work rate isn't that great sometimes.

What's your problem?

Pav1878

Fully agree with you. The problem with him is that he tends to over think it. Just put the head down and go for it, no need to be over fancy, do the simple things well which is what got you into the team in the first place and stay humble.

He also need to stop putting his foot on the ball and delaying, his strength is his pace and power.

Anyway, great goal, he seems to have found form again which is great, hope he kicks on again this season.
Agree with this post. Summed it up nicely.

Very good player, but could be great if he did more of this.

Hope he continues his current form too.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Exactly. Some of us are just pointing out he hasn't been his usual self these past few months and are getting called clueless etc. The clueless ones are those pile praise on a player without seeing his shortcomings, and those who criticise without seeing the good things he's done.
True. But also, I think last season he reached his peak performance for a while. It's understandable he will have ups and downs at that age, but his ceiling is higher than I thought a year ago so that's what we, and him, should aspire too.

Tel074

I also bet on United because we are every bit as good a team as PSG are

Pav1878

You've totally misinterpreted what Rio said and using comments out of context to justify quite an absurd assessment
With respect, I really don't think so.

Rio said he needed to add more poacher type goals, which I agree with, if he is going to increase his numbers. But I appreciate that is not always easy if he doesn't play CF.

All I was saying is I don't feel he has been busting a gut to get back as much since lockdown and his body language has been bad, looks frustrated.

He's a very good player, and popular amongst the fans, me included, but he I feel he needs to work on a few things to really elevate him to world class status.

Glad to see him getting back amongst the goals and hopefully he can keep it going.

MiceOnMeth

If Rashford reaches Cavanis peak level and output I'd be delighted

Mainoldo

If Rashford reaches Cavanis peak level and output I'd be delighted
Didnt say nothing was wrong with that. Im just saying he’s always going to frustrate. Miss easy chances make silly decisions but score a worldie.

Inigo Montoya

He's currently schooling a Tory MP on Twitter wrt Child poverty in the UK.
Not too difficult. Most of them are morons of the highest order who think they can justify their action and comments due to their status. They think themselves better than the general public

this is the sort of thing we need to remember. It’s not to say he will go on the same trajectory as Henry or Ronaldo, but he’s still so young.

look at the likes of RVN, Salah, KDB - what were they doing at his age?

even Ronaldo, one of the best players that’s played the game - needed time and space to grow into the player he became.

Zoo

Just seen this, I don't know why people bump threads during matches. It's too reactionary and just reduces the quality.

8thWonder

Wish people would stop saying things like this, if you actually want players to improve you don't stop them from doing things which will actually make them better... you know, by getting his head up and picking people out, and choosing which moments to run at people and when to pass.

Mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world. Keep trying things and keep learning, it's really not that difficult a concept. You don't improve if you keep staying in your comfort zone and he is always pushing himself to improve, you can always see it.

He's constantly affecting games for us at 22 years old and is undoubtedly one of the most highly rated young players in Europe.

What ever this means for the future, one thing is sure, he's a mentality monster, for me he's in the same bracket as Bruno when it comes to taking responsibility and affecting games. Certainly not as vocal but players look to him and trust him in the same way and that says everything you need to know about Marcus.

eire-red

Time and time again, in the big moments, he produces the goods. His record against bigger teams is incredible, and he's just becoming more and more consistent as time goes on.

I don't know how we can still question him, he's 22 and he's a crucial player for us. Without him and Bruno, we'd be a shadow of the team we are. He's a shining light to the academy boys as well, an example of what you can achieve at this club.

We're lucky to have him.

Falcow

Wish people would stop saying things like this, if you actually want players to improve you don't stop them from doing things which will actually make them better... you know, by getting his head up and picking people out, and choosing which moments to run at people and when to pass.

Mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world. Keep trying things and keep learning, it's really not that difficult a concept. You don't improve if you keep staying in your comfort zone and he is always pushing himself to improve, you can always see it.

He's constantly affecting games for us at 22 years old and is undoubtedly one of the most highly rated young players in Europe.

What ever this means for the future, one thing is sure, he's a mentality monster, for me he's in the same bracket as Bruno when it comes to taking responsibility and affecting games. Certainly not as vocal but players look to him and trust him in the same way and that says everything you need to know about Marcus.
I take your point and yeah that's fair enough. However trying new things and poor decision making are two different things. It's not ok to make a basic mistake like the one just after the second half started where he was through one on one and inexplicably decided to pass to Martial, which was the initial mistake, the second mistake was in the execution of the pass. He did something similar then shortly afterwards when he had the chance to shoot. In those situations he really does need to just go for it. I would forgive an 18 or 19 year old for that but not someone who is 23 next week.

He also has an annoying tendency to put his foot on the ball and look around him when the situation just does not call for it. At this point he needs to take his decision making to the next level.

Perhaps however I am being overly critical, he has started the season well and hopefully will end up with 30+ goals, in fairness he would have last season where it not for his injury.

Stacks

this is the sort of thing we need to remember. It’s not to say he will go on the same trajectory as Henry or Ronaldo, but he’s still so young.

look at the likes of RVN, Salah, KDB - what were they doing at his age?

even Ronaldo, one of the best players that’s played the game - needed time and space to grow into the player he became.
Where as I understand the idea, players like Lukaku had more goals than RVN, Henry at that age too. Question is where were those players ranked as players at that age and how much football had they played by that point? I believe Ronaldo was top 3 in the WORLD, Rooney was revered as one of the best in the world by that time, since they both came through so young.

He could possibly have a better career numbers wise than many players, but it is uncertain as to whether he will reach their heights. As Jose says, there is the young and then there is the "young". what he means by that is by age, Rashford is indeed 22, yet he is now seasoned as a footballer and not quite some green boy. people are acting like he is still a kid breaking through. This is in fact his 6th season of pro first team football and has over 260 games under his belt for club and country. He has gone to international tournaments, played in champions league campaigns, played in cup finals, won trophies etc etc. Most players at 22 are only breaking through in the first team so I don't particularly focus on him being "young" too much as he has already played a lot of football since he started early.

lysglimt

Scout
I love Rashford, but there are things he needs to improve. If he is really take his game to elite-levels he needs to make better decisions. And he needs to improve his goalscoring record - he is off to a good start this season, so hopefully he can get 20 goals without penalties.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

This.
He is very, very close to being in one of the top players around the world if he can improve on that simple mistakes he makes all the time really.

I actually think he is close to Ronaldo at the age of 22, the difference being finishing off weaker teams.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I love Rashford, but there are things he needs to improve. If he is really take his game to elite-levels he needs to make better decisions. And he needs to improve his goalscoring record - he is off to a good start this season, so hopefully he can get 20 goals without penalties.
There's stuff to every single one of our so called top players that this is true of. Pogba has massive flaws in his game, so does Martial and even Bruno does to an extent.

Rashford has got so much abuse in 2020 and people forget that he had a truly awful injury. Compare what Rashford has done for us to Pogba. He's been a far better asset to us and he always turns up on the big occasion. Not something that can be said for Pogba n Martial and that can't be argued by anyone.

Genuinely feel there's a huge anti English agenda in our fanbase and given we have so many international fans I guess that should come as no surprise.

CG1010

We forget that the Ronaldo we had until the start of 2007-08 season was highly wasteful and fluffed various chances. In fact he would get a lot of stick from opposition fans that Ronaldo needs various opportunities to score a goal and his goals are because he is in a team that creates lots of chances for him.

pass.pass.pass

There's stuff to every single one of our so called top players that this is true of. Pogba has massive flaws in his game, so does Martial and even Bruno does to an extent.

Rashford has got so much abuse in 2020 and people forget that he had a truly awful injury. Compare what Rashford has done for us to Pogba. He's been a far better asset to us and he always turns up on the big occasion. Not something that can be said for Pogba n Martial and that can't be argued by anyone.

Genuinely feel there's a huge anti English agenda in our fanbase and given we have so many international fans I guess that should come as no surprise.
The flaw in Pogba's, Martial's, or Bruno's game doesn't negate the one in Rashford's. They are flaws that can be fixed, but they are real. The biggest one is decision-making. It's not consistently right; he doesn't drive closer to the goal before shooting, and he often shoots when he should pass. The goals in his career so far have been like a highlight reel: superb strikes of a great talent but not enough tap-ins, not enough squaring the ball to a teammate in a better position.

As Ferdinand pointed out, the same flaw existed in the games of a young Rooney and Ronaldo. Along with SAF, the team they played in battered it out of them. It's harder for it to happen with Rashford because this team is not one full of winners.

GueRed

I love this kid's mentality

Every year he has improved (even under Mourinho). He steps up in the big games

Compare that to say Pogba who is in his FIFTH season you can count the number of good games he's had on one hand..

You can't ask for more from Rashford. You just know (barring injuries) he will keep improving. Hopefully his decision making will come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.