Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

This is the worry for most people against Sancho. If this happens I'm positive Ole will rotate Pogba in the left midfield role and double pivot. Rashford is too much of a favourite to become a squad option whether Pogba is better at the left or not
This is my concern, i like Marcus and he's a ery good player, but he's treat like Ronaldo when he's more Nani, I just don't see Ole ever using him like Pep is currently using Sterling.

croadyman

I desperately want to sign Sancho but like that poster earlier also have concerns about us missing out on either CB/CDM because it's very hard to see how we can afford all three key positions unless we are able to sell TWO assets

roseguy64

I'm a massive Martial fan. Always have been. That said they have both had periods of terrible form this season.

Greenwoods form at this moment is better than anything Martial showed is all.

Also there is the fact that more should be expected of Martial these days. He ain't young anymore.
Anything Martial showed when?

Adcuth

80 mil. Get him in. The price will seem as low as when we sold ronny for the same amount

Adcuth

I desperately want to sign Sancho but like that poster earlier also have concerns about us missing out on either CB/CDM because it's very hard to see how we can afford all three key positions unless we are able to sell TWO assets
Sell lingard and buy Milenkovic. Improvements in 2 areas

stevoc

The new contracts for Cavani and Bailly to me suggest that we aren't going to be buying for those positions this summer. If the whole budget goes on Sancho around £80-100m, then to buy a top DM we have to generate another £60-80m from the sales of Lingard, Pereira, Dalot, James etc.

To me that's doable.

Lowkey

id rather have a left footed player on the right. Sancho seems better on the left and we are stacked in that department...

Rob Bowman

New contract for Cavani suggest to me we are not going for an out and out striker this window. This makes Sancho a very realistic target. Remember City just started a CL semi with Jesus, Sergio, Sterling and Rodri on the bench. We need more quality if last nights game didn't make that abundantly clear. Once Sancho is acquired we can hopefully get a DCM and next window we go for the striker and CB.

gajender

This is my concern, i like Marcus and he's a ery good player, but he's treat like Ronaldo when he's more Nani, I just don't see Ole ever using him like Pep is currently using Sterling.
Ole is far ruthless than given credit for it just that he goes about it in very subtle manner without much controversy, if he feels Pogba and Greenwood are better option than Rashford and provide Better balance to the team he would quietly nudge Rashford out of starting spot I am quite certain of it.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole is far ruthless than given credit for it just that he goes about it in very subtle manner without much controversy, if he feels Pogba and Greenwood are better option than Rashford and provide Better balance to the team he would quietly nudge Rashford out of starting spot I am quite certain of it.
You're right about Ole's subtle ruthlessness. Would be interesting to see what happens because I'm quite certain we will get Sancho. With Sancho and Greenwood, Cavani and Martial, Rashford has no business being shoehorned to the right or center next season unless injuries.

So the only spot left for him is the left where Pogba is doing really well. At this point I think the first instinct would be to try and accommodate the two of them. It may not work in certain games but it will work enough for there not to be a real competition between Pogba and Rashford on the left. Just my two cents

The White Pele

Recently I’ve been quite excited about the prospect of getting Kane this summer which would make any deal for Sancho impossible.

A front 5 of Kane, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba and Bruno would be incredible. However, I do think that, all things considered, Sancho makes more sense.

1. The Kane transfer may not be possible and would certainly be long and protracted. Sancho should hopefully be easier to get over the line this year if Dortmund have relaxed the fee somewhat.

2. Kane would be more expensive and would severely limit our ability to strengthen other areas.

3. We would still be exposed on right wing if we signed Kane and there would be less opportunities for Greenwood to play CF.

4. Sancho is younger and will be important for the long-term.

4. Kane is more injury prone

I think on the whole, Sancho gives us more options and combinations.

There may be concerns that he is a similar type to some of the technical forwards we have but Cavani is the perfect compliment to these players providing he can maintain fitness.

There may also be the concern that this pushes Greenwood out of the starting XI but with the number of games there should still be plenty of opportunity for him to get games either at RW or CF. Most importantly of all, Ole believes in him.

The possible combinations by fixing the right wing issue are very exciting:

LW: Rashford/Pogba/Sancho/James/Martial
CF: Cavani/Martial/Greenwood/Rashford
RW: Sancho/Greenwood/Amad/James

One of the biggest conundrums facing Ole is whether to continue with Pogba on the left or to try and fit him and Bruno into a midfield. We would need a new DM to make this work and I’m not sure such a player exists.

Again, over the course of a season I’m sure we would see Pogba used in different positions for different opposition when fit.

LoneStar

Recently I’ve been quite excited about the prospect of getting Kane this summer which would make any deal for Sancho impossible.

A front 5 of Kane, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba and Bruno would be incredible. However, I do think that, all things considered, Sancho makes more sense.

1. The Kane transfer may not be possible and would certainly be long and protracted. Sancho should hopefully be easier to get over the line this year if Dortmund have relaxed the fee somewhat.

2. Kane would be more expensive and would severely limit our ability to strengthen other areas.

3. We would still be exposed on right wing if we signed Kane and there would be less opportunities for Greenwood to play CF.

4. Sancho is younger and will be important for the long-term.

4. Kane is more injury prone

I think on the whole, Sancho gives us more options and combinations.

There may be concerns that he is a similar type to some of the technical forwards we have but Cavani is the perfect compliment to these players providing he can maintain fitness.

There may also be the concern that this pushes Greenwood out of the starting XI but with the number of games there should still be plenty of opportunity for him to get games either at RW or CF. Most importantly of all, Ole believes in him.

The possible combinations by fixing the right wing issue are very exciting:

LW: Rashford/Pogba/Sancho/James/Martial
CF: Cavani/Martial/Greenwood/Rashford
RW: Sancho/Greenwood/Amad/James

One of the biggest conundrums facing Ole is whether to continue with Pogba on the left or to try and fit him and Bruno into a midfield. We would need a new DM to make this work and I’m not sure such a player exists.

Again, over the course of a season I’m sure we would see Pogba used in different positions for different opposition when fit.
I think the Kane ship has sailed given that Cavani is staying. Probably a good thing in one way, since we can focus on other areas this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol:

Maybe they can loan him for a season, wouldn't be the worst of ideas.
Might be on the cards, there were rumours (albeit not sure of their reliability) about them asking for Greenwood in exchange for Sancho last season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
:lol:

Maybe they can loan him for a season, wouldn't be the worst of ideas.
A one year loan probably doesn't work.

A two year loan would probably be better for all parties. Dortmund see more of a benefit so are both more likely to accept and (more importantly) more likely to plan with him being first choice for those two years. Just like Hakimi when he went there. Amad himself will get that bit more time to settle into the team and really develop, and will probably come back to us after those two years as a much better player than he would after just one.

Robert

It would be terrible. Dortmund have no interest in the development of a youngster they cannot profit from.
You say that but they’ve loaned players in recent years and played them alot, Hakimi and Reinier immediately come to mind

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
You say that but they’ve loaned players in recent years and played them alot, Hakimi and Reinier immediately come to mind
Aye. Hakimi was sensational there.

Januzaj not so much mind you.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hakimi, though young was a ready made first team player and already better than their previous option.
Amad is clearly not ready and is not better than what they have. What Amad needs is time and patience. Dortmund will have none of that for a player they won't see a penny for.

Boavista

To be fair Hakimi was loaned for two years, and as an alternative to aging Piszczek while their other RB youngster was loaned to Norwich.

Reinier has barely played, and they were probably just taking a chance to get a talented player to fill the squad in the hope he'd be useful on occasion. They'd have to actually replace Sancho in the starting line up if they sell him, and not sure loaning Amad for a year or even two will do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It looks quite likely he'll be a United player, but then again a lot of us thought the same last season :lol:

If he did come this summer, does he take the 7? I'd probably give him the 7, Cavani a 9 and Martial something else.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It looks quite likely he'll be a United player, but then again a lot of us thought the same last season :lol:

If he did come this summer, does he take the 7? I'd probably give him the 7, Cavani a 9 and Martial something else.
If he wanted #7 he should've pushed for the move last year!

saivet

Exactly :lol: I was so confident we were signing him last for a good portion of last summer that I'm not getting ahead of myself this time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I was thinking about this today. I doubt we'd strip Martial of #9 again, especially for a player who will only be here another year or two at the most. Not unless we actually are looking to sell him but I doubt that at this point.

I wonder if we'd move Fred to 16 (more suitable for a midfielder, following in the steps of Keane and Carrick) so that Sancho can take 17 for a season or two until Cavani leaves, then he can naturally take the 7 at that point. A bit like how Cristiano took #9 at Real for a season until Raul left.

Devil may care

The Europa League final will be a big test of this as there's no way Rashford should start over Mason in that game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was thinking about this today. I doubt we'd strip Martial of #9 again, especially for a player who will only be here another year or two at the most. Not unless we actually are looking to sell him but I doubt that at this point.

I wonder if we'd move Fred to 16 (more suitable for a midfielder, following in the steps of Keane and Carrick) so that Sancho can take 17 for a season or two until Cavani leaves, then he can naturally take the 7 at that point. A bit like how Cristiano took #9 at Real for a season until Raul left.
Thing is, it's a number for the campaign (that's the way I see it) and Martial isn't going to be our 9 next year unless Cavani gets injured. You can argue Greenwood has made a case to be central just as much as Martial would when fit.

hubbuh

It would be fecking wicked if this could be sorted before the EUROs. Sancho would have chance to meet the rest of the squad before the tournament and feel like part of the team. This transfer makes so much sense, please for the love of God get it done.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Still not sure we will get him. And no, he will most likely not be taking the 7 from Cavani. He can take another number or 77 or whatever until Cavani is here.

saivet

It would be fecking wicked if this could be sorted before the EUROs. Sancho would have chance to meet the rest of the squad before the tournament and feel like part of the team. This transfer makes so much sense, please for the love of God get it done.
I don't think that would be the case as players would be on holiday, so he'd just meet up with the squad at pre-season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I always thought it was unlikely last year. Cause we would come up with he money.
On the number front, it is likely they will just tell him to wait a year for Cavani to leave. Ole is not Mourinho.
Will probably be similar to Ronaldo/Raul situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.