Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

Why are people worried about Amed's development if we sign Sancho.

City have two top class players for every position, why shouldn't we.

Alemar

After season: " Where Greenwood gonna play?" :lol:
Rotation is great, but if everyone is fit and we have a final, who’s gonna play.

Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Amad - and we would only play three attackers

Judas

Open to offers
Rotation is great, but if everyone is fit and we have a final, who’s gonna play.

Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Amad - and we would only play three attackers
Pretty obvious who plays? Whoever is in form at the time, whoever is playing best, whoever is fit. It's just common sense, isn't it?

dove

Most of them don't watch German football, and when he played for England he hasn't shown his best. Immediately he's labelled overrated, german farmer league etc etc.

Sancho would rip up the prem if he comes here.
I think there is nothing wrong to be slightly cautious and sceptical about players coming in from Bundesliga. We have seen a lot of players like Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Werner, Jovic, Dembele etc. completely fail or not reach the potential they supposedly had. It would be a huge risk paying £100m for him IMO because I think the odds of him ripping up the prem are close to the ones that he won't.

Judas

Open to offers
Sancho is a highly rated British player who was massively rated and destined to be a star long before he ever set foot in Germany, it's one of the key differences between him and the Dortmund flops of the past.

marktan

I think there is nothing wrong to be slightly cautious and sceptical about players coming in from Bundesliga. We have seen a lot of players like Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Werner, Jovic, Dembele etc. completely fail or not reach the potential they supposedly had. It would be a huge risk paying £100m for him IMO because I think the odds of him ripping up the prem are close to the ones that he won't.
Yeah, and spending 100m euros does have a major affect on what we're able to do for the rest of the squad.

Contrast to City - who have a vastly superior squad. Their singings tend to be in the £40m - £50m range. One or two £90m players isn't an issue, but signing them almost every summer with Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire and possibly Sancho does limit our ability to sign more quality players for the squad. For instance, for City that's a net minus of 4 players if they'd spent £80-90m on 4 players rather than on 7-8 players, so a subtraction of say Walker, Bernado, Mahrez and Jesus from their squad.

I'd have no issue spending 100m euros on someone like Neymar who's guaranteed to be great, but with someone riskier like Sancho personally in my opinion I'd rather sign two £50m players. Dortmund's price is just too high imo.

GBBQ

Look at the squads for 98/99 and 07/08. At least two top class options for every position. We’ll be fine

jackal&hyde

Why do we keep including Amad in this discussions? Let the kid grow organically; he barely has 90 minutes put together at professional football and is in a new country. This is not FIFA or FM. It takes time for 99% of youngster to be included in the first 11 more often then not in a team that wants to challenge for the top.

ReallyUSA

It's because we don't know what we have, but we have to take Ole's word for it. The unkown is always frustrating, but yes you are right a 100 percent. This isn't 2005, there will be enough games for Diallo if Sancho comes.

Lux Thunder

Just because a transfer doesn't happen doesn't mean that we weren't interested or we didn't have discussions with the player. It's not that hard to "agree personal terms". Most times a team won't publicly go for a player if the player doesn't want to actually go there. Hence there would have been discussions in advance to see if personal terms are agreeable before dealing with the club over what price is fair.

Romano very clearly has sources, sure sometimes I'm sure he regurgitates info from other sources, but it doesn't make it not true. Every source can have different info because one might be getting it from the player or agent, who could each be giving different info, and another can get it from the buying club and the other from the selling club and both could be saying very different things.

I think that we had preliminary contact with the player, at least. Where an issue arises is in our board perception of Dortmund's asking price. They thought that they can play "big" and try to bargaining with them during summer but it was "take it or leave it" for Dortmund all along. We can all guess what will season look like with Sancho but now we will have him for probably much less.

How this is a question, whoever is in better form at that moment will be starting. For example, Villarreal game, I will lose no sleep seeing Rashford on the bench with Pogba, Cavani, and Greenwood. But I have a strong feeling that Rashford will start at the right side, which is also ok as long as you have gifted on-form Greenwood to change things if necessary.

It is crucial for success to have competition for places, it set standards. I doubt you will see a player like Martial on the field jogging for few minutes or standing in disbelief after missing a sitter. They will have to work harder and deliver as they are easily replaceable.

We have a rich history of overcoming games in the second half and we saw it this season many times. It is making coaching staff easier to react, we saw how an inspiring substitute can be: Cavani vs Saints, Rashford with his pace destroyed RB Leipzig when introduced from the bench, etc. I'm furious with this so-called "issue", not long ago we had Andreas starting and looking to bench for Mata or Lingard to change things.

croadyman

Sancho is a highly rated British player who was massively rated and destined to be a star long before he ever set foot in Germany, it's one of the key differences between him and the Dortmund flops of the past.
Really want us to get this deal done before the euros but knowing how we operate I wouldn't bet on it

r0663664

Worships Man City
Sancho will simply take Martial minutes. Greenwood rotate with Cavani. If Martial is smart, tell his agent to find him a new club.

The Red Thinker

Don't get all the fuss about Amad and Sancho both being there. There'll be a lot of games, injuries and form will wary through the season. In fact, this will be the right kind of shield Amad needs to develop. Sancho is proven talent and will start. Amad will grow in the shadows as he's capable of playing both wings. This is ideal.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I don't get the whose minutes will it impact argument, when players like Rashford and Bruno have played far too often and would probably be even more effective playing with a proper rest every now and then.

I'm also not 100% Pogba stays at LW next season, as he's only moved there since Martial has been injured it could be partly due to managing minutes with only 3 regular starters fit in that attacking line.

Icemav

Would not pay more than GBP50-60m for him. Its still a great return on investment for Dortmund. Whatever they receive they are not going to spend big themselves, and I doubt any other club will pay them more than we would be prepared. Nobody was biting their hand off last season and especially now in a COVID environment. Playing hardball with us is laughable because a) everyone knows they are a selling club, and b) for a variety of factors there isnt high demand for Sancho especially for anywhere near the prices quoted. Actually I am not sure I've seen such low demand for such a 'generational' 'superstar' player. In essence Dortmund have zero leverage.

We also need to strengthen in midfield and have cover at right back so spending ballon d'or money on Sancho is off the table imo for that reason too.

EDIT: actually despite saying all that I still dont feel comfortable with the signing. There is something about him that doesnt fit my eye, not that it matters to anyone! I think talent wise he is quite step below Pogba, Cavani, Bruno and even Rashford and Greenwood. A 'nice' player to look at but doesnt scream brilliance. Kingley Coman would be a much better acquisition if possible.

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Looks like some still don't understand it is a squad game with plenty of rotation needed due to the amount of games we will be playing. There is no valid argument of "it impacts xxx's game time".

This potential list of players looks good to me and will see plenty of game time. Although I'm not convinced by Martial as a centre forward; we should try for another centre forward if the budget allows.

Wide Forwards:
Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Amad, (Martial)

Centre Forwards:
Cavani, Martial, (Greenwood)

saeed

In two years Cavani and Martial will be out so Sancho buying this summer is needed

Would not pay more than GBP50-60m for him. Its still a great return on investment for Dortmund. Whatever they receive they are not going to spend big themselves, and I doubt any other club will pay them more than we would be prepared. Nobody was biting their hand off last season and especially now in a COVID environment. Playing hardball with us is laughable because a) everyone knows they are a selling club, and b) for a variety of factors there isnt high demand for Sancho especially for anywhere near the prices quoted. Actually I am not sure I've seen such low demand for such a 'generational' 'superstar' player. In essence Dortmund have zero leverage.

We also need to strengthen in midfield and have cover at right back so spending ballon d'or money on Sancho is off the table imo for that reason too.

EDIT: actually despite saying all that I still dont feel comfortable with the signing. There is something about him that doesnt fit my eye, not that it matters to anyone! I think talent wise he is quite step below Pogba, Cavani, Bruno and even Rashford and Greenwood. A 'nice' player to look at but doesnt scream brilliance. Kingley Coman would be a much better acquisition if possible.
he’s a very good player, and we have a need for someone to play on the right. It would be a sensible signing.

however, I agree this notion that he’s world class or even ‘generational’ - a term i fecking hate is absurd.

I said at the time, with whatever bid we had - they won’t ever be getting an offer higher for him.

this hasn’t changed - and he’s not a player who teams are scrambling over. Look at the difference between him and Haaland. You have CEOs of clubs who would seemingly sell their grannies left tit to get a piece of him.

He’s a player I’d be happy to sign, but thankfully it would be at a more sensible price this summer.

Not moving in the summer clearly affected him. He wants to move, Dortmund obviously want to sell, we have an interest. It makes sense, as long as the probe is right.

If not, move on. We would be the party that least regrets not making this signing if it didn’t go through.

LoneStar

If Martial can get back into the form he was last season he'll play just as much as the aging Cavani. Also shirt numbers aren't just a number for that season; players generally stay with the same numbers (both for themselves and for the fans who bought those shirts) unless they are upgrading to a more prominent number. It'd be bad man-management and bad for morale to strip players of their numbers unless those players really aren't in the plans at all.
His form in the final part of last season is starting to look more and more like an anamoly than anything else. He's surely on thin ice at this point. We should move him on if he doesn't perform this season.

LoneStar

I'm not going to believe anything anymore until I see Sancho or any player we buy holding the United shirt with Ole next to him. Tired of these sagas :rolleyes:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His form in the final part of last season is starting to look more and more like an anamoly than anything else. He's surely on thin ice at this point. We should move him on if he doesn't perform this season.
He's been inconsistent but I wouldn't say last season was an anomaly.

15/16 - Good
16/17 - Poor
17/18 - Good when he played, but was unfairly dropped despite being our best player in the position.
18/19 - Good when he played, but poor management (Jose) and injuries (Ole) stopped him getting a proper run.
19/20 - Good.
20/21 - Very bad.

Definitely inconsistent, but when he's actually got runs of games he's been good most of the time until this season. That's why he should get one more season for me, unless there's another option available who is just too good an opportunity to pass up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm not going to believe anything anymore until I see Sancho or any player we buy holding the United shirt with Ole next to him. Tired of these sagas :rolleyes:
Yet you’ll be in the is thread like the rest of us feasting on nuggets of information that the tweeters put out there. :D

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

What about I give you example:

Rashford Martial Greenwood in the final game of the season and we win the league.
Pogba Cavani Sancho in the final UCL and we win UCL.

Everyone is happy.

LoneStar

He's been inconsistent but I wouldn't say last season was an anomaly.

15/16 - Good
16/17 - Poor
17/18 - Good when he played, but was unfairly dropped despite being our best player in the position.
18/19 - Good when he played, but poor management (Jose) and injuries (Ole) stopped him getting a proper run.
19/20 - Good.
20/21 - Very bad.

Definitely inconsistent, but when he's actually got runs of games he's been good most of the time until this season. That's why he should get one more season for me, unless there's another option available who is just too good an opportunity to pass up.
With Cavani extending, I think he will get the next season to prove himself. He would definitely be starting from the bench at first. Let's hope he takes the chance, he hasn't exactly responded well to competition.

romufc

I'm certain we will get him. All this talk about Liverpool is just planted by BVB to make sure they don't get low balled.

They've already started the "must be done by june 11th" talk. I'm sure as long as they're sensible it'll get settled for around 70-90m.

Ole has already stated his intent to the board, they know they'll need to pull a rabbit out the hat this summer with the momentum we have.

It looks like Ole is putting the pressure on the board as well, he came out saying we need to invest if we want to win the league, last summer he was defending the board and playing it cautious because of covid and perhaps understood this might not be the time to spend.

This time around he is almost saying, look I have managed to get this far, give me more to go further and the pressure is all on the board now, unified pressure from the manager and fans.

romufc

People who don't watch dortmund or ignore his accomplishments at his age. The guy has performed at a world class level for 3 years in a row, predominantly from the right wing, and is a creative playmaking winger, exactly what we need to compliment the overload of shooters we have in our attack. He just turned 21 ffs. Been the dream signing for United for years now, really hope we don't feck it up. I would be happy with signing just him this summer and ignoring everything else, it would make a world of difference to us.
Every time I watch us play against low blocks, the one thing that always jumps out is how unbalanced we are in attack. Greenwood is looking to shift and shoot, Rashford is the same, both like to come in. Sancho is looking to create, not just shoot.

I reckon he will form a brilliant partnership with Bruno, they are both very intelligent players. Just look at how Pogba and Bruno have linked up recently, imagine having a RW who will be on similar wave length.

Ace of Spades

Not going to get too invested in this saga, but it looks a lot more plausible now than before.

Dortmund have dropped their price a bit (still think it is too high in current times imo), and we seem to want to get this deal done quickly as well.

Icemav

he’s a very good player, and we have a need for someone to play on the right. It would be a sensible signing.

however, I agree this notion that he’s world class or even ‘generational’ - a term i fecking hate is absurd.

I said at the time, with whatever bid we had - they won’t ever be getting an offer higher for him.

this hasn’t changed - and he’s not a player who teams are scrambling over. Look at the difference between him and Haaland. You have CEOs of clubs who would seemingly sell their grannies left tit to get a piece of him.

He’s a player I’d be happy to sign, but thankfully it would be at a more sensible price this summer.

Not moving in the summer clearly affected him. He wants to move, Dortmund obviously want to sell, we have an interest. It makes sense, as long as the probe is right.

If not, move on. We would be the party that least regrets not making this signing if it didn’t go through.
He is a very good player and if he comes here he may be good for us. I personally though dont see a few qualities that I like.

Kingsley Coman I think looks a better fit and he seems potentially keen on a move. Would be wonky to see him go to City when he is exactly the profile of player we need and has big game and international experience.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is a very good player and if he comes here he may be good for us. I personally though dont see a few qualities that I like.

Kingsley Coman I think looks a better fit and he seems potentially keen on a move. Would be wonky to see him go to City when he is exactly the profile of player we need and has big game and international experience.
Sancho over Coman any day of the week. I'd pay far more for him too.

Devil may care

I get the wish for depth in attack and would be fine with it, but we operate on a budget, my worry is we'll spend the bulk of our resources on Sancho and end up with an attack like this......

.....and a midfield like this.

Jaxa

It's a very strange obsession the caf has , we also shouldn't sign Sancho because it will affect Greenwood's devolopment ?

I think it's better to have a problem deciding which world class player should start rather than worrying about having to play Dan James if Greenwood or co is injured.

amolbhatia50k

I get the wish for depth in attack and would be fine with it, but we operate on a budget, my worry is we'll spend the bulk of our resources on Sancho and end up with an attack like this......

.....and a midfield like this.

Fair concern. But I'm sure if we had a CM available that we feel has as much sheer quality and potential as Sancho , we'd be going after him in the same manner.

You may need a CM more (debatable I think RW is a bit problem) but even if so you'd rather sign a Neymar level player (hypothetical) this summer and wait a year for a CM if you're going to basically sign someone you can next summer too without a loss in quality. Someone like Sancho won't come along next year. I'm 100% we won't find someone as good next year. The search for RW will Continue to disappoint us.

Devil may care

Fair concern. But I'm sure if we had a CM available that we feel has as much sheer quality and potential as Sancho , we'd be going after him in the same manner.

You may need a CM more (debatable I think RW is a bit problem) but even if so you'd rather sign a Neymar level player (hypothetical) this summer and wait a year for a CM if you're going to basically sign someone you can next summer too without a loss in quality. Someone like Sancho won't come along next year. I'm 100% we won't find someone as good next year. The search for RW will Continue to disappoint us.
The thing is our attack is already good, Mason is improving on the right and now Pogba is in the front 4 we have a great balance between creativity and goal scorers, Sancho would be icing on the cake no doubt, but the midfield is barely a moldy flapjack. If we have roughly £100M to spend it makes more sense to get say Rice and Camavinga for the money than spend £80M on Sancho.

amolbhatia50k

The thing is our attack is already good, Mason is improving on the right and now Pogba is in the front 4 we have a great balance between creativity and goal scorers, Sancho would be icing on the cake no doubt, but the midfield is barely a moldy flapjack. If we have roughly £100M to spend it makes more sense to get say Rice and Camavinga for the money than spend £80M on Sancho.
Alright. I do disagree. I think our attack is talented but slightly imbanced due to a lack of a playmaking forward. Rahsford, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood are all strikers in one way or another. Sancho is really a dribbling wide playmaker.

Stacks

So you are saying he had exceptional performances for two season straight in the league and the cups.

This year he had a poor start to the season in the League and was then really good till he got injured. His cup numbers this year are very very good.

So you are worried than not performing as much in the league this season is the indicator of his actual standard?

I couldn't disagree more.

Sancho as per Transfer Market
18/19 - 2967 Minutes 13G 20A
19/20 - 3274 Minutes 20G 20A
20/21 - 2684 Minutes 12G 18A

KDB when at Wolfsburg
12/13 - 3086 Minutes 10G 10A
13/14 - 2024 Minutes 3G 8A
14/15 - 4551 Minutes 16 G 28A

Very Comparable numbers in the same league. Sancho doing so from a younger age.

We can all pretend Sancho isn't worth big money if we want but it's simply not true.

There is not a better winger known that money can buy.

Ole is known to want him. Club has no excuses this time around. They have already missed out on a few of Oles targets.

Had we got Sancho or had a proper go at adding to the first team last summer we probably could have competed with City.
whenever I watch him play I just don't get this feeling but I respect his numbers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.