Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I must be one of the few that would rather sign Kane than Sancho.
Nah, it's a coin toss. As we interacted in the Kane thread, you know I'll be the other side of it, but it's not hard to see why you would rather Kane.

bosskeano

Can clearly see why Kane would be the priority for some as it's not easy finding a guy that you know can get you 20 plus goals per season but his age and durability are a factor along with the price.

Sancho will get you 10-15 goals a season and 10+ assists as well. We have the ability right now to play Greenwood, Rashford, Martial and Cavani at the 9 position but we really only have Greenwood that can play the right wing. That is one of the main reasons why i would prioritize Sancho over Kane. Cost and Age are another big factor. You could have Sancho here for 8-10 years alongside Marcus and Mason which would honestly circle back to the years we had Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez who were devastating on the counter.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The guy that has only 4 more assists in the league this season than Diallo while playing in 22 more matches?
pace and power matter more to some than a football brain. Sancho is already a better player than ASM and is only going to get better if he can stay fit. If ASM is 50 and Sancho is 80 I know what I’d do. Also it seems like the British core is building a more solid morale and fighting spirit so why not keep going. Sancho > Kane but only because we have Cavani for one more year. Let city get Kane and go all in for haaland next year.

mav_9me

Sancho over Kane for me for sure. Cheaper both in transfer fee and wages, will play longer for us, Kane has injury concerns, we would still need a RW. Difference in transfer/wages could be used for CM or CB.

Kaizane

Sancho this summer makes complete sense to me.

We'd have an out-and-out right winger for the first time in years, with Amad providing competition. Greenwood and Cavani would share striker duties.

I think City will use Kane as a statement signing this summer, which will hopefully pave the way for us to get Haaland next summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sancho this summer makes complete sense to me.

We'd have an out-and-out right winger for the first time in years, with Amad providing competition. Greenwood and Cavani would share striker duties.

I think City will use Kane as a statement signing this summer, which will hopefully pave the way for us to get Haaland next summer.
The one thing that bothers me with Sancho as a signing is the number of people I've seen say he's better on the left and that will end up being his position in the long run.

After so long needing a RW, it would be nice if the one we signed was 100% at his best at RW.

chipper05

Dortmund are a selling club so will say a lot about us if we try and fail again
It is a fairy tale that Dortmund is a selling club - if you mean they have to sell players. I think there are not many clubs with such a strict transfer-idea: Yes, a player can leave, if the conditions of Dortmund are fullfilled. If not the player will stay. And this is always a very clear agreement with the player and his agent. If you need any examples: When Lewandowski wants to leave for Bayern Munich in 2013, Bayern did not accepted the demands - so he had to stay and left one year later without any transfer fee. Dortmund has shown how they act! This was one of the reasons they could sell players like Aubameyang (64 millions), Mkhitaryan (42 millions), Pulisic (64 millions), Gündogan (around 30 millions) all with only one year contract! And as a special highlight: Dembele for 135 millions (up to now, may be another 10 millions will come) to Barca.
Why did I mentioned this? In nearly all cases there was aa agreement with the player and agent: If our expectations will be fullfilled you can go! And the players and agents normally accepted (like Sancho last year) that, because it is a clear way - without release clause. And with Sancho it was last year and it is the same this year: There is a commitment (player and agent are informed): If there is a club who pays exactly the money we want up to our deadline you can go - if not you will stay!
Last year it seemed that Manchester United did not believe in Dortmunds clear messages and was really astonished when the window was closed after the start of the preparation. And for this year it is exactly the same procedure: Michael Zorc already confirmed that there is an agreement with Sancho and agent. They know the sum and the date. If Manchester will sign Sancho they know what and up to when they have to do. There will be no other way - Dortmund has shown more than once.

Kaizane

The one thing that bothers me with Sancho as a signing is the number of people I've seen say he's better on the left and that will end up being his position in the long run.

After so long needing a RW, it would be nice if the one we signed was 100% at his best at RW.
I hear that but if he can play more than one position, it's only a good thing. I say out-and-out in that if we sign him he'd be the best player at the club for that position. Greenwood is destined for that CF position eventually once he learns his craft and was never meant to be a RW.

Judas

Open to offers
Greenwood was never meant to be a RW but that doesn't mean that doesn't end up being his best position. I think Ole alluded to it. We still don't know with him where he'll end up. I do hope its as a striker though.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

He's excellent on both wings, which is great for us. Rashford may not be at his best on the right, but he is able, adding Sancho would mean they can interchange during the match like we used to have before.

Tallis

It is a fairy tale that Dortmund is a selling club - if you mean they have to sell players. I think there are not many clubs with such a strict transfer-idea: Yes, a player can leave, if the conditions of Dortmund are fullfilled. If not the player will stay. And this is always a very clear agreement with the player and his agent. If you need any examples: When Lewandowski wants to leave for Bayern Munich in 2013, Bayern did not accepted the demands - so he had to stay and left one year later without any transfer fee. Dortmund has shown how they act! This was one of the reasons they could sell players like Aubameyang (64 millions), Mkhitaryan (42 millions), Pulisic (64 millions), Gündogan (around 30 millions) all with only one year contract! And as a special highlight: Dembele for 135 millions (up to now, may be another 10 millions will come) to Barca.
Why did I mentioned this? In nearly all cases there was aa agreement with the player and agent: If our expectations will be fullfilled you can go! And the players and agents normally accepted (like Sancho last year) that, because it is a clear way - without release clause. And with Sancho it was last year and it is the same this year: There is a commitment (player and agent are informed): If there is a club who pays exactly the money we want up to our deadline you can go - if not you will stay!
Last year it seemed that Manchester United did not believe in Dortmunds clear messages and was really astonished when the window was closed after the start of the preparation. And for this year it is exactly the same procedure: Michael Zorc already confirmed that there is an agreement with Sancho and agent. They know the sum and the date. If Manchester will sign Sancho they know what and up to when they have to do. There will be no other way - Dortmund has shown more than once.
I think they end up looking pretty idiotic if we buy Sancho at £80m. They negotiated publicly - their bluff got called. Now they have to sell him for a discounted price. If they had negotiated with Utd last year, they probably could have got a better deal vs what they will get this year.

I see no reason for them to take any pride in this. They are a selling club because they will sell each of their players for a price.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It is a fairy tale that Dortmund is a selling club
Yeah, except for Dembele, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Mkhi, Gotze, Hummels, Diallo, Gundogan, Alcacer, Weigl, Yarmolenko, Philipp, Ginter, Kagawa, Papastahhopoulos, Evanilson, Emre Mor, Heinrich, Bender, Ramos, Immobile, Kampl, Bartra, Sahin, Rosicky, Frings, Perisic, Isak, Blaszczykowski and Toljan Dortmund never sell.

Complete myth they are a selling club.

Patrik Berger.

Kaizane

Greenwood was never meant to be a RW but that doesn't mean that doesn't end up being his best position. I think Ole alluded to it. We still don't know with him where he'll end up. I do hope its as a striker though.
Personally, I'd like him closer to goal. Doesn't make much sense to me that the best finisher by a mile on the team should be shoved out wide, having to track back oppo players. We've already seen he's improved with his back to goal this season, so just stick him up front, get him in the gym and work on his heading and you've got yourself a 20-30 goal a season striker.

Anyway this is a Sancho thread. Sign him up, Ole.

rotherham_red

Still very much on this train, its the sensible one. Get Sancho, fix some other holes, Kane is such a muppet signing, but sometimes you have to be a little bit wiser.
I honestly think Kane will be the one we target for next year. I don't see anyone getting him this summer, unless City are absolutely desperate for him (though they've never truly splashed out on a single player to that extent before) and he'll have only two more years left on his deal by that point. I'm reasonably confident that we'll be the ones who get him while City will be the ones who Haaland.

chipper05

Yeah, except for Dembele, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Mkhi, Gotze, Hummels, Diallo, Gundogan, Alcacer, Weigl, Yarmolenko, Philipp, Ginter, Kagawa, Papastahhopoulos, Evanilson, Emre Mor, Heinrich, Bender, Ramos, Immobile, Kampl, Bartra, Sahin, Rosicky, Frings, Perisic, Isak, Blaszczykowski and Toljan Dortmund never sell.

Complete myth they are a selling club.

Patrik Berger.
Have you read the whole text? 1.) Of course does Dortmund sell players, like every club in the world! The main part was part two: they have not to sell players, this makes the difference. It is not a question of money they need to survive! 2.) A very, very big number of players you mentioned left Dortmund because they have no perspective and Dortmund was not interested in them any longer, for example: Yarmolenko, Philipp, Ginter, Sokratis, Emre Mor, Toljan etc. etc. And do not speak about players who left the club more than ten years ago (Rosicky, Frings etc.) - this makes no sense in the discussion about Sancho. My intention was, that Dortmund will set the conditions another time (as in many cases in the last years) and any club can decide to fullfill the expectations of Dortmund and the player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I must be one of the few that would rather sign Kane than Sancho.
It’s not about what you would rather have but it’s about what the manager would rather have now. We just gave Cavani a new contract, it’s pretty obvious which one the manager would like to sign now.

JustinC00

Rashford-Greenwood-Sancho for the next 5+ years in their peak primes >>>> Rashford-Kane-Greenwood. Kane will be coming out of his prime, while Greenwood was just getting to his

Also I really want Greenwood to be our CF. Just really fancy the idea of an academy graduate leading the line

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So much aces that they got feck all for him last year and had an unhappy player for half a season that doomed them to a top 4 struggle.
Expertly played.
:lol: Zorc masterclass, you know?

Don't Kill Bill

Have you read the whole text? 1.) Of course does Dortmund sell players, like every club in the world! The main part was part two: they have not to sell players, this makes the difference. It is not a question of money they need to survive! 2.) A very, very big number of players you mentioned left Dortmund because they have no perspective and Dortmund was not interested in them any longer, for example: Yarmolenko, Philipp, Ginter, Sokratis, Emre Mor, Toljan etc. etc. And do not speak about players who left the club more than ten years ago (Rosicky, Frings etc.) - this makes no sense in the discussion about Sancho. My intention was, that Dortmund will set the conditions another time (as in many cases in the last years) and any club can decide to fullfill the expectations of Dortmund and the player.
If Dortmund are in such a strong position why have they dropped the asking price?

There are very few clubs who can afford to spend 80 million pounds this summer. If its true Sancho wants to come back to England and he will want to play in the champions league. Now take away City because Pep doesn't want or need him.

So United, Chelsea if they make top four or win the champions league or Liverpool if they make top four/champions league and decide to cash in on Mo Salah.

My guess is that Dortmund will sell him to United in the summer for 75-80 million pounds which they could have had last year if they weren't such dicks about the whole thing.

Thus proving by some strange logic that they are not a selling club.

bosskeano

the bigger picture is that Sancho and Dortmund have an agreement in place to sell him this summer as long as a suitable offer comes in which is something they didn't have last summer. Sancho is pushing more for a move now as he wants to come back to England and play in the Premier league.

His contact runs out next summer so they don't quite have the bargaining leverage they did previously as they won't want to lose him on a free

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
My guess is that Dortmund will sell him to United in the summer for 75-80 million pounds which they could have had last year if they weren't such dicks about the whole thing.
Yeah, silly of them to not sell him last year for the same price they get now. I'm sure they're crying themselves into sleep that they got another year out basically for the cost of his salary.

The denial of reality is already growing again. Expecting a toxic summer for Germans on this board again :) You guys will be severely disappointed again if you believe Dortmund want to sell him. The only reason this is on the table for less than the Dembele fee is that Dortmund has a gentlemen's agreement with Sancho and won't break their promise.

If you get the player, it'll be expensive.

the bigger picture is that Sancho and Dortmund have an agreement in place to sell him this summer as long as a suitable offer comes in which is something they didn't have last summer. Sancho is pushing more for a move now as he wants to come back to England and play in the Premier league.

His contact runs out next summer so they don't quite have the bargaining leverage they did previously as they won't want to lose him on a free
They literallynhwd the same agreement in place last season, Zorc even confirmed as much. It's the exact same situation, only that they have sttled for less and that United probably has less money to spend.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If Dortmund are in such a strong position why have they dropped the asking price?
It's actually fairly simple. One year less on the contract, lower transfer fee.

And 'strong position' is relative, they'll survive without the money and they want to keep the team together as good as possible, but the player will leave eventually and so they need to pick the right moment to sell.
They'll never be in a completely strong position in relation to clubs that are financially and/or sportingly stronger, as is the case with most any club.

One objective might be to maximize a fee, but another surely has to be to keep centrifugal forces and the speed of the revolving door in check, which is why it shouldn't be too hard to understand that they set up certain hurdles for players that want to transfer out, even if you regard that as posturing.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Thus proving by some strange logic that they are not a selling club.
They kept him in the squad and he was crucial in them winning a title (DFB Pokal) this season. Yes, they will not maximise the money they earn with him that way, but they are winning titles.

And that was the point - Dortmund is about winning titles, not about maximising their player sales profits. They don't have unlimited budgets, so they will accept (big!) offers for their best players, but only if they see themselves in a position to be able to replace them with value. That's the reason why they insist on doing business early and only to their conditions.

FreddieTheReddie

Yeah, silly of them to not sell him last year for the same price they get now. I'm sure they're crying themselves into sleep that they got another year out basically for the cost of his salary.

The denial of reality is already growing again. Expecting a toxic summer for Germans on this board again :) You guys will be severely disappointed again if you believe Dortmund want to sell him. The only reason this is on the table for less than the Dembele fee is that Dortmund has a gentlemen's agreement with Sancho and won't break their promise.

They literallynhwd the same agreement in place last season, Zorc even confirmed as much. It's the exact same situation, only that they have sttled for less and that United probably has less money to spend.
Yes, why would they want to sell him now? Or even next year? I’m sure they will be happy to see him walk away for free in 2023. Good to see BL fans back supporting each other.

marktan

Yes, why would they want to sell him now? Or even next year? I’m sure they will be happy to see him walk away for free in 2023. Good to see BL fans back supporting each other.
Tbf, Dortmund do have prior with not selling players and then letting them go for free - e.g. Lewandowski.

They'll demand a large fee and they're perfectly right to do so - it'd be like if we expected Spurs to sell Kane or Villa to sell Grealish for a lower price just because they're not as rich or as successful as United. It's not too dissimilar to when we had to sell Ronaldo and the vitrol it attracted towards Madrid, obviously a vastly superior player, but no fans like to lose their star player.

My issue is that I don't think the value of 100m euros is justifiable. Even 80m is a stretch given we need to improve other areas of the squad too. So we'll see how it plays out. In the end Ronaldo forced our hand somewhat, so we'll see if similar happens with Sancho and Dortmund if he's eager to get a move. Most likely is that he stays another year and moves next summer when he only has a year left, for around 50-60m, as that's when clubs really look to sell their assets e.g. Sane.

Also German fans backing Dortmund / wanting more for Sancho is not surprising - it reflects better of their domestic league with higher fees, and for most clubs it has a direct financial effect as 1) They're able to use a higher reference point for their own stars 2) Dortmund will likely reinvest some of that money into players from lower Bundesliga clubs, so the more there is the more they get.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Come on man, it's so obvious where your argument stops making sense, you don't need me to point that out for you.

reelworld

Still not convinced that Sancho will be able to replicate his production in the Premier League. I'd prefer Kane tbh, but given our limited transfer budget, I'd take him easily ahead of Kane. Another caveat in signing Sancho is that it''ll give more time for Greenwood to play the striker role

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Still not convinced that Sancho will be able to replicate his production in the Premier League. I'd prefer Kane tbh, but given our limited transfer budget, I'd take him easily ahead of Kane. Another caveat in signing Sancho is that it''ll give more time for Greenwood to play the striker role
I think you have to accept a lower end product for a player moving from the Bundesliga to the Premier League. The former is just a very attacker friendly league. At the same time, even discounting his numbers, and subject to some time adapting to his team mates, those numbers and his level of technical quality and in game peformance, would be an incredible addition to this team.

As much as I love Greenwood, and he is a storming talent, he is never going to be as natural in wide areas as Sancho, who will give us someone comfortable with being on either flank, and a natural at taking on and beating his man on either side. Plus his passing is quality in any league. Greenwood's primary move in every match from out wide is to come inside and take a shot, as he's an absolute phenomenon when it comes to that. Sancho being capable of being a complete wide player - beating defenders, crossing, playmaking and having a less sole focus on scoring would IMO give us the balance between left and right that we've sorely missed for ages.

The case for Kane is obviously also strong. He will put up higher numbers than Sancho , is the league's most lethal attacking force and effectively gives us Cavani X 3 which would be pretty amazing.

But personally as far as profile goes, Sancho is the sort of player I want to see more at United. I think his age, nationality, desire to come to United, good relationship with Rashford, flair and the fact that he's a winger who will get seats off their bums, makes him the ideal signing for Manchester United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

No doubt that if we get Sancho it will be a mega deal. As it should be, Dortmund should expect to get top dollar for the player. Their hand is not as strong as last year given one less year on contract, and player's desire to leave which club also respects and acknowledges, and hence I don't think it's as hard a deal to pull off as last summer. We have the money and the desire it seems to bring him in. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the Glazers and whether they sanction the fee required or try to be too clever wrangling for saving a few million here or there. It should be straightforward but it's up to us to get things done efficiently. That's not Dortmund's problem.

croadyman

I think you have to accept a lower end product for a player moving from the Bundesliga to the Premier League. The former is just a very attacker friendly league. At the same time, even discounting his numbers, and subject to some time adapting to his team mates, those numbers and his level of technical quality and in game peformance, would be an incredible addition to this team.

As much as I love Greenwood, and he is a storming talent, he is never going to be as natural in wide areas as Sancho, who will give us someone comfortable with being on either flank, and a natural at taking on and beating his man on either side. Plus his passing is quality in any league. Greenwood's primary move in every match from out wide is to come inside and take a shot, as he's an absolute phenomenon when it comes to that. Sancho being capable of being a complete wide player - beating defenders, crossing, playmaking and having a less sole focus on scoring would IMO give us the balance between left and right that we've sorely missed for ages.

The case for Kane is obviously also strong. He will put up higher numbers than Sancho , is the league's most lethal attacking force and effectively gives us Cavani X 3 which would be pretty amazing.

But personally as far as profile goes, Sancho is the sort of player I want to see more at United. I think his age, nationality, desire to come to United, good relationship with Rashford, flair and the fact that he's a winger who will get seats off their bums, makes him the ideal signing for Manchester United.
Yeah he would certainly provide us with that threat that has been missing from the RW for far too many years

gorky_utd

No doubt that if we get Sancho it will be a mega deal. As it should be, Dortmund should expect to get top dollar for the player. Their hand is not as strong as last year given one less year on contract, and player's desire to leave which club also respects and acknowledges, and hence I don't think it's as hard a deal to pull off as last summer. We have the money and the desire it seems to bring him in. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the Glazers and whether they sanction the fee required or try to be too clever wrangling for saving a few million here or there. It should be straightforward but it's up to us to get things done efficiently. That's not Dortmund's problem.
It is clear that bvb are ready to let him go at a reasonable fee this year. If we miss out on him and he ends up at another EPL team like pool that will be the clear indication that the glazers are simply not going to invest for winning league title and just want to invest enough to be in top 4.

red thru&thru

This guy should be the main signature for us this year. We have drawn 11 games this year, 6 more than City. And I'm pretty positive out of those 6 games, Sancho would have made a difference to at least 4 of those games, if not all of them!

TheLord

Would he choose us over Chelsea? I am sure both clubs can fork out the 80-odd million for him, which will probably be the final transfer price.

TheLord

Dortmund will not sell both Sancho and Haaland in the same window. So it looks like Sancho and Kane between City, Chelsea, and United. One club will not be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.