Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Pre-COVID, Sancho would be 150m. Dembele was 140m, and that was about 3 years ago. Similar profile to Sancho, and not English.

The question is if he's worth 100m. I think, he's absolutely Yes. Whether we need to spend that much on him, that's a different question.
Agree with pre-covid, as the over-inflated football cash bubble hadn't burst yet. Now though, I'm not so sure. He's worth is ultimately determined by how much the highest bidder will pay, and like I said, if it's not a sugar-daddy club or a state-owned one, 100m+ is unlikely imo. The again, I was probably saying the same thing before Dembele went for 140m, so who knows!
Disagree he's worth 150m pre-covid just because of Dembele. There's more to pricing targets than looking at one expensive transfer especially when said transfer was a flop. The general consensus is now that Barca overpaid. No one is using it as a metric to do their business unless they also want to get fleeced like barca.

We also aren't even that deep into the covid market. Teams haven't started posting those kinds of losses. The real covid market will be from next year when several months of BCD football starts to really stack up. In a real covid market dortmund would be the ones calling us up
How's so? Coutinho was 160m in 2018, Hazard was 100m with one year left to Madrid in 2019, Maguire was 80m in 2019, Pogba was 105m in 2016, etc. Flop event was the after transfer happened, then people deemed them "overpaid".
Dembele was €105 million = £94million, Coutinho went for £105 million. Coutinho was a more proven player at a higher level and not just domestic performances IMO. reality is very few players live up to these price tags over 100m but you are worth what a club is willing to pay so maybe Jadon is worth that

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dembele was €105 million = £94million, Coutinho went for £105 million. Coutinho was a more proven player at a higher level and not just domestic performances IMO. reality is very few players live up to these price tags over 100m but you are worth what a club is willing to pay so maybe Jadon is worth that
Sorry. I googled them, and most shows Dembele 105m + 40m adds on. So does with Coutinho. Do you think add on shouldn't count?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Neither of them were worth anywhere near that.

RedChisel

Genuine question, who was the last player to leave Dortmund and go to another league and really tear it up? Can't think of any, they all seem to flop. Not suggesting Sancho will do the same just curious.

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Genuine question, who was the last player to leave Dortmund and go to another league and really tear it up? Can't think of any, they all seem to flop. Not suggesting Sancho will do the same just curious.
Aubameyang?

Deery

Dreary
Lewandowski

edit: never read league

ForeverRed1

I’ve just been watching united stand and they are talking about his performances so far this season. Not playing well, they reckon he could be unhappy/unsettled after all the business with us over the summer.
As a 20 year old english kid, if you want to go home, want to play in the PL and there is so much hype and speculation, for it to not happen, I guess it could take a toll.

next summer, who you reckon gets him? I don’t think he will come here now, after we have bought pellestri and traore, I can’t see us spending 120m next year. Would love to be wrong but just can’t see it.

pascell

I’ve just been watching united stand and they are talking about his performances so far this season. Not playing well, they reckon he could be unhappy/unsettled after all the business with us over the summer.
As a 20 year old english kid, if you want to go home, want to play in the PL and there is so much hype and speculation, for it to not happen, I guess it could take a toll.

next summer, who you reckon gets him? I don’t think he will come here now, after we have bought pellestri and traore, I can’t see us spending 120m next year. Would love to be wrong but just can’t see it.
Chelsea or Liverpool will sign him. Pellestri could also be used on the left and behind the striker but the Sancho shipped sailed for United as soon as we didn't meet that deadline.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's not a £120m player. No chance. We might have dodged a bullet here.

cyberman

I have high hopes about Traore so I dont think we will be back for him but theres too much history to this transfer now. I think selling to us for any less than 120m will be a slap in the face for them and we arent paying that aftet a full year of covid.
I can see Chelsea in a flop plus money move so they can save face.

Stacks

Sorry. I googled them, and most shows Dembele 105m + 40m adds on. So does with Coutinho. Do you think add on shouldn't count?
it's up to you really! Martial was 37 million but could go up to 57.6 million with add ons but some of those clauses are unlikely to ever be met (e.g. Balon D'or winner etc).
A lot depends on the clauses and likeliness of them happening. If they are dependent on league games played then fair enough.
Neither of them were worth anywhere near that.
agreed

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, you said it yourself. If there are any youngish player in Europe who can perform and be game changer consistently, there are only Haaland and Mpabbe. Do I think Haaland would be worth 100m, unfortunately yes particularly when RM and City are looking for #9 replacement, half of the sum would probably end up in his fat agent's pocket.

Sancho, like Gnarby, are v good players but not that good. Somewhere between Sane and Sterling level IMO. Sterling had at least demonstrated 1 season at top notch level.
Well Mbappe went for €180m, didn't he? So a €120m valuation of Sancho already reflects that Mbappe has delivered on a higher level. I can understand that people are hesitant to see such a huge fee paid for such a young player, but you're basically saying you have the budget for a Mercedes, but you're looking for a Ferrari.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I've saw him playing (via TV) live matches & he is good but £100m is bizarre & unreasonable. The price is huge purely because...wait for it....he in English.

Red_toad

Well Mbappe went for €180m, didn't he? So a €120m valuation of Sancho already reflects that Mbappe has delivered on a higher level. I can understand that people are hesitant to see such a huge fee paid for such a young player, but you're basically saying you have the budget for a Mercedes, but you're looking for a Ferrari.
Mbappe went to a domestic rival, who didn’t comply with the financial restricts as their owners are extremely rich. It was also at a time when fans attended games. Whatever PSG of a few seasons ago paid for anyone, has zero reflection on what clubs should pay now.
I’d love Sancho to join United, but we’ve gone and purchased 2 young right wingers, so I’m eager to see them play and hopefully save us a lot of money.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's not a £120m player. No chance. We might have dodged a bullet here.
I think you guys should be pleased that your club didn't spend that amount on him. I get that many of you got excited and really wanted him at the club but there is no doubt in my mind that the figures being quoted for him were wildly over the top especially in the current climate. Not saying he isn't a good player (though I've yet to really be impressed with him when I've watched him) but it would have been an incredible risk for your club to buy him at that price. I think it was the right move not to do it.

Mr.Plow

Maybe he's objectively worth £100m, maybe he isn't but that isn't really the question to ask here. The way we've splashed cash and made our finances public, no club is selling us a player without a hefty Utd tax. If Maguire is worth £80m to us then Sancho is worth £160m.

cyril C

No, what I meant was, only 2 young players have demonstrated their talent consistently at top level, so they are worth whatever the market price is. Other player like Sancho, are good player but nowhere near top level. Would you pay 1m for a Benz sport car still in drawing board? Proven, may be, unproven, no. So I incline to agree with what MU had proposed to Dortmund, but if they don't bite, move on.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Crowds wont be back this season.

It may be March/ April 2022 before we see stadiums full again. That's just my opinion from various articles I've read on a covid vaccine and how it will take time to be rolled out.

I cant see any player going for more than 80mil next summer in such circumstances.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No, what I meant was, only 2 young players have demonstrated their talent consistently at top level, so they are worth whatever the market price is. Other player like Sancho, are good player but nowhere near top level. Would you pay 1m for a Benz sport car still in drawing board? Proven, may be, unproven, no. So I incline to agree with what MU had proposed to Dortmund, but if they don't bite, move on.
Which is why Sancho doesn't cost an absolute top level fee. If he was (more) "proven" he would cost money similar to Mbappe or perhaps Hazard. Instead his price tag is similar to that of Joao Felix and significantly less that of Dembele.

Stacks

Which is why Sancho doesn't cost an absolute top level fee. If he was (more) "proven" he would cost money similar to Mbappe or perhaps Hazard. Instead his price tag is similar to that of Joao Felix and significantly less that of Dembele.
But then you could argue that due to his age and the fact that he has recently posted greater numbers than any prospect in Bundesliga recent history, including the likes of Sane/Son, perhaps Dortmund feel he has far more value. That said, Sane has started quite well back home.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
One of the top 5 players in the world. The finished article. That's what I'd want for 120m.
Doesn't that just mean you're totally out of the loop of what price gradients are now, though?

You're talking 2015 or so if that's what you think £108m gets you.

cyberman

What was proven about Mbappe? And look at Hazard now.
Theyre not really 2 great examples. If anything, all of the 100m plus transfers havent met expectations.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
One of the top 5 players in the world. The finished article. That's what I'd want for 120m.
I agree with you.

I feel like even the transfer fees have grown out of proportion, paying 120 million for a player that has to grow still and currently shows inconsistency is not needed when you could still find that type of player for much cheaper.

I feel like that's what we did with the two younger RW we bought this year.

I'm okay for paying something near 120 million pounds for a player like Haaland who is destroying records nearly every game he plays, national, UCL, and league games but to me there is a difference between that an a player like Joao Felix, Sancho and Dembele.

MikeUpNorth

Doesn't that just mean you're totally out of the loop of what price gradients are now, though?

You're talking 2015 or so if that's what you think £108m gets you.
Hardly. Only 5 transfers in the history of football have ever been done at that price or higher.

EngimaMK

No, YOU'RE out of the loop. This is 2020, covid era. Transfer prices have to be more realistic.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hardly. Only 5 transfers in the history of football have ever been done at that price or higher.
Yes, but that is not keeping with reality - or do you actually think the best players in the world- the literal ones, can be had for the price you've said?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No, YOU'RE out of the loop. This is 2020, covid era. Transfer prices have to be more realistic.
Prices don't have to be anything. It's up to the seller to determine what an asset is worth (particularly because it's relative), not the buyer. Otherwise, deals simply don't get done.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Dembele and Coutinho were not worth the money Barca paid for them.

The question isn't if Sancho would have gone for 150m pre covid but if he's worth that money.

I'd say yes. I think the only negative thing about Sancho so far is that he hasn't replicated his Bundesliga performances in the CL or at a NT level but what does United need the most right now? A team that is able to challenge in the league and Sancho has been impeccable in league play

cyberman

Prices don't have to be anything. It's up to the seller to determine what an asset is worth (particularly because it's relative), not the buyer. Otherwise, deals simply don't get done.
Doesnt that mean the transfer market is on the side of the buyer?

MikeUpNorth

Yes, but that is not keeping with reality - or do you actually think the best players in the world- the literal ones, can be had for the price you've said?
Not very often, no, because the best players aren’t available very often. On the rare occasions when they are available, it depends on many factors, including contract length, wages, competition etc.

Which of the world’s top players (recognised as such at the time of the transfer) have moved in the last few years? I can only think of:
Hazard - 100m
Neymar - 200m
Ronaldo - 100m
Possibly Mbappe - 150m

The ones who transferred and then went on to become top players (Salah, De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Lewandowski) went for much less.

Idxomer

Dembele and Coutinho were not worth the money Barca paid for them.

The question isn't if Sancho would have gone for 150m pre covid but if he's worth that money.

I'd say yes. I think the only negative thing about Sancho so far is that he hasn't replicated his Bundesliga performances in the CL or at a NT level but what does United need the most right now? A team that is able to challenge in the league and Sancho has been impeccable in league play
Still in a very specific system with behind him probably the best wingback in the world.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
as much as I want him - he probably was too expensive as the world is now. We can try again next summer if things have improved then

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doesnt that mean the transfer market is on the side of the buyer?
It probably means we won't see any of the top bracket move until the crises are over.

The notion of stark drops in prices for the top assets in world football is far-fetched, imo.

They'll have to run contracts down and then clubs will have to decide if they sell, and I'll bet clubs will opt to keep their player and let them go for free than sell them on at some ridiculous covid discount.

In the end, you're moving into the bracket of irreplaceable and even selling them at their worth is painful for most teams because they've got a hot potato on their hands that will cause them to be fleeced, and even then, you're far from assured whoever you get in can produce at the same rate and level as the elite player you've just let go. It's not prudent to take money in lieu of all that those kind of players give, unless you're struggling and have no option but to sell.

A stagnant market at the highest bracket.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not very often, no, because the best players aren’t available very often. On the rare occasions when they are available, it depends on many factors, including contract length, wages, competition etc.

Which of the world’s top players (recognised as such at the time of the transfer) have moved in the last few years? I can only think of:
Hazard - 100m
Neymar - 200m
Ronaldo - 100m
Possibly Mbappe - 150m

The ones who transferred and then went on to become top players (Salah, De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Lewandowski) went for much less.
The point is, whatever the highest, most elite bracket is, Sancho is not in it, but isn't going to cost you anything like they will, either.

Mbappe, Neymar, Kane, Mane and all those who have titles and years upon years of performance backing them up who are in the optimal age range, are a whole clump more expensive than £100m. You're not getting Kane for less than £150m - particularly us dealing with Levy. Neymar? you can't hope to enter negotiations for at £100m; Mbappe cost PSG almost double what you're suggesting as is, he's not a depreciating asset, even if he's not on a linear trajectory in terms of improvement. The list goes on.

£100m, for [top class] forwards, is those on the up, or those on the way down, realistically - those hitting, or in their peak, in that highest bracket, it isn't going to get you a sniff of. That's why I find a multitude of posts in here puzzling to read. X, Y isn't worth £100m, but then, when pressed on who is, the names that are put forth aren't worth that, either... because they're worth a considerable amount more.

It can't be both things.

Sancho, even if you think he's worth less in terms of actual talent or output right now, still has the stackers of:

- current status and repute
- two solid years of performance
- what he's worth to Dortmund

to be put on top. You're going to have to do some serious mental gymnastics to reduce his value to a real-world figure that takes him away from what Dortmund priced him at. Almost everything about him forces him into the bracket people say he has no business being in.

MikeUpNorth

The point is, whatever the highest, most elite bracket is, Sancho is not in it, but isn't going to cost you anything like they will, either.

Mbappe, Neymar, Kane, Mane and all those who have titles and years upon years of performance backing them up who are in the optimal age range, are a whole clump more expensive than £100m. You're not getting Kane for less than £150m - particularly us dealing with Levy. Neymar? you can't hope to enter negotiations for at £100m; Mbappe cost PSG almost double what you're suggesting as is, he's not a depreciating asset, even if he's not on a linear trajectory in terms of improvement. The list goes on.

£100m, for [top class] forwards, is those on the up, or those on the way down, realistically - those hitting, or in their peak, in that highest bracket, it isn't going to get you a sniff of. That's why I find a multitude of posts in here puzzling to read. X, Y isn't worth £100m, but then, when pressed on who is, the names that are put forth aren't worth that, either... because they're worth a considerable amount more.

It can't be both things.

Sancho, even if you think he's worth less in terms of actual talent or output right now, still has the stackers of:

- current status and repute
- two solid years of performance
- what he's worth to Dortmund

to be put on top. You're going to have to do some serious mental gymnastics to reduce his value to a real-world figure that takes him away from what Dortmund priced him at. Almost everything about him forces him into the bracket people say he has no business being in.
You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying Dortmund should sell for less than 100m. I'm saying we shouldn't sign him if that's what he costs.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying Dortmund should sell for less than 100m. I'm saying we shouldn't sign him if that's what he costs.
Yeah but this is about worth - if you're going to knock on the door and inquire, thinking what he is can be had for some knockdown price makes you (the club) the silly ones, not Dortmund.

I think this season could be a strange one for him as a player because we've clearly unsettled him and his head could well not be in the game. How long that lasts for, who knows, but it's only if he tanks that his worth comes down to the numbers some in here seem to think he should have been had for.

I'm just saying indignation instead of realism that 'lowly Dortmund' baulked at our pricing is nonsensical. Going into that window, he was the hottest talent on the planet in his age range, what an earth do people think that type of player goes for?

MikeUpNorth

Yeah but this is about worth - if you're going to knock on the door and inquire, thinking what he is can be had for some knockdown price makes you (the club) the silly ones, not Dortmund.

I think this season could be a strange one for him as a player because we've clearly unsettled him and his head could well not be in the game. How long that lasts for, who knows, but it's only if he tanks that his worth comes down to the numbers some in here seem to think he should have been had for.

I'm just saying indignation instead of realism that 'lowly Dortmund' baulked at our pricing is nonsensical. Going into that window, he was the hottest talent on the planet in his age range, what an earth do people think that type of player goes for?
The worth of an asset is determined by what someone is willing to pay.

I can put my house on the market for £500k, but if I'm only getting offers of £300k, it's stupid for me to continue to claim it's worth half a million. Whether I sell or not is up to me, but that's irrelevant to the value of my house.

If no club is willing to offer 120m for Sancho, then quite simply he isn't worth that much money. Dortmund can refuse to sell, but that doesn't make him worth any more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.