Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yep. It also allows us to go all in the Haaland. Diallo is a generational talent and if we nurture him right, we could potentially have a forward line the envy of Europe again.
Sancho is a good to have and he will improve us a lot.

But our priority should be Haaland. He will transform us like what RVP did and more. Haaland is a generational talent after Messi and Ronaldo. I think Scandinavians prefer epl rather than la liga. So we have a good chance to get him and also don't have to deal with "my dream is to play for RM/Barca" shits.
Seems like it wasn’t so long ago Sancho was also being spoken of as a generational talent, guess they grow on trees then eh chaps?

EngimaMK

Seems like it wasn’t so long ago Sancho was also being spoken of as a generational talent, guess they grow on trees then eh chaps?
I just don't think the Sancho as a generational talent label is as obviously true as the Haaland one. The thing is, these terms get thrown around a lot, and whilst Sancho is good, he isn't nearly as obviously stand out, dead cert generational talent as Haaland.

The take away is to treat these labels with precaution...

Yakuza_devils

Haaland has said he wants to play for Madrid one day and we wouldn't sign him because him and his team insisted in the buyout clause. That doesn't sound like a player who wanted to put down roots here
Is there any direct quote from Haaland want to play for RM? Unlike our Pogba spewing this week in week out directly from his mouth.

The release clause issues might be different if we signed him in the next 1 or 2 years. He went to Dormund on the cheap hence he can demand the release clause.

wolvored

Is there any direct quote from Haaland want to play for RM? Unlike our Pogba spewing this week in week out directly from his mouth.

The release clause issues might be different if we signed him in the next 1 or 2 years. He went to Dormund on the cheap hence he can demand the release clause.
Yes but we backed away because of the release clause as it was there for us as well. Google Haaland real Madrid and man utd Haaland release clause

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Like Cristiano Ronaldo, 5 times Ballon D'or winner?
What age and what wage did he go for? Putting the package together Juventus did amounts to an astronomical amount.

That's the kind of risk you won't see many clubs take for a player of that age.

Gabagoo

No he's not, and we should look elsewhere. Should Woodward have bought a first team winger this summer? Yes, and the fact the he didn't us the reason why the window was a (yet another) poor one.

But Sancho is overrated. Liverpool formed a front three buying two 'decent' wide forwards in Salah and Mane, neither of which were world class or had a world class transfer fee.

Are you telling me that Adama Traore, Allan Saint-Maximin or even Harvey Barnes wouldn't be better than James (who doesn't even attempt dribbling, let alone actually succeed at them) or be good competition for Greenwood (who does not need to be starting every game)?

Ole needs to get a clue and relay to Woodward that the team can be made far stronger with an outlay of £70m. Ed can shove the Sancho 'merchandise sales' up his arse.

Mark Pawelek

I think some of us are falling to Woodward's trap. Yes, Sancho might be overpriced at £120 million but if the squad badly wants someone to compete properly, then we pay over the odds. It's as simple as that.
We paid over the odds for Pogba and Maguire. Barcelona paid over the odds for Dembele and Coutinho. That's even simpler.

Mr PG

We don’t need to pay over the odds if we plan properly. Neither of Maguire/pogba/Coutinho /Dembele have been good value for money.

Fans say it’s not their money but it does affect the budget for other areas of the squad.

Mark Pawelek

The way I look at it, there are only a handful of players in the game today who will give you roughly 20 goals and 20 assists and Sancho is one of them. The others are DeBruyne and Messi and they are either in their prime, or on the wrong side of 30. So how much is a 20 year old worth who is in the same company as those two only much younger???
17 goals and 16 assists last season in Bundesliga. Not 20+20. So far, he did it once. For all we know he's been found out and may never achieve it again. He's not in the same company as Messi who scored over 30+ league goals 7 times.

Greck

We paid over the odds for Pogba and Maguire. Barcelona paid over the odds for Dembele and Coutinho. That's even simpler.
Exactly. In fact has paying over the odds worked for anyone in the recent market? Can only think of Mbappe. Sancho is likely more Raheem Sterling than Neymar. Cracking player but you dont pay 100m to take him out of the system he's good at

Revan

Assumptionman
Generational talent is the new world-class.

To be fair, there is an argument that Haaland might be a generational talent. He is the best young player in the world after Mbappe, and in general, each generation might have 1-3 generational talents.

Terminator

100%. We've been lacking a class RW for quite some time and he's definitely a class RW.

cyberman

Generational talent is the new world-class.

To be fair, there is an argument that Haaland might be a generational talent. He is the best young player in the world after Mbappe, and in general, each generation might have 1-3 generational talents.
I think its the other way around. Mbappe has done nothing of note for a long time now while Halaand is tearing up the CL and a far more competitive league.
I dont think Mbappe has lived up to his early hype and promise.

Giggsy13

In hindsight, spending £108 million on Sancho might end up being the right thing to. Dortmund may have overplayed it’s hand in expecting more suitors this year. The second wave of Covid has hit and its unlikely we see stadiums at full capacity at all this year. Their may not be as many suitors as hoped and it’s possible that Sancho may finally agitate for a move, which may drive down the price.

There is also the Diallo factor. We didn’t spend up to £37 million on a player we don’t think is going to make an impact in the next few years. He looks like an excellent prospect and may preclude the need to spend big on Sancho. if we see flashes of his potential in January.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think we should have a whip round.

Tonight we had to watch our right flank start with Wan Bissaka and Juan Mata. It ended with Fosu-Mensah and Scott McTominay.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
£108m for Sancho would’ve been sheer madness on Woodward’s part, and daylight robbery on the part of Dortmund - the sort they perpetrated on Barca for Dembele.

He’s a decent inverted winger, but I strongly feel his numbers are being inflated by playing in a league obsessed with high lines and a suicidal desire on the part of small teams to attempt to go toe to toe with all and sundry, leaving vast swathes of space in behind for decent attackers to run into.

I think both Rashford currently and Greenwood in a couple of years would be posting inflated numbers in the BuLi.

Fans will always disagree because it’s not their money being shelled out, but the rational and sensible thing to do is to use that £108m more effectively by sorting out deficiencies elsewhere in the side (midfield, central defence, fullback areas).

Reactions: Sultan

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I thought it was another average performance with a decent goal from the LW.

Nothing exceptional I see from him as a RW for 100million.

Strelok

£108m for Sancho would’ve been sheer madness on Woodward’s part, and daylight robbery on the part of Dortmund - the sort they perpetrated on Barca for Dembele.

He’s a decent inverted winger, but I strongly feel his numbers are being inflated by playing in a league obsessed with high lines and a suicidal desire on the part of small teams to attempt to go toe to toe with all and sundry, leaving vast swathes of space in behind for decent attackers to run into.

I think both Rashford currently and Greenwood in a couple of years would be posting inflated numbers in the BuLi.

Fans will always disagree because it’s not their money being shelled out, but the rational and sensible thing to do is to use that £108m more effectively by sorting out deficiencies elsewhere in the side (midfield, central defence, fullback areas).
Agreed.

I watched a few matches of the Bundes a season because I have them free. Truth is they defense really really poorly. And that high line stuff is merely a joke. Defenders very often caught out of positions or lose concentration.

If anyone buy a Bundes attacker just because of the number most of the case they simply set themselves for disappointment.

dal

The quality of our next CF singing and the level of the Matic and pogba replacements will define our next 5 years.

Red00012

Granted I’ve only seen him play 6 times but from what I’ve seen he’s not worth 100 million . If he wasn’t English you’d be looking at a £50 million transfer fee.

Grealish looked far more impressive out there last night.

MDFC Manager

He's only trying to reduce his worth, to make it easier for Woody to swoop in. What a lad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
At least our scouts know what they are doing, they know he’s not 100m worth and they are probably the ones who advised Ed & Matt that the player isn’t anywhere near 100m.

Bondi77

The quality of our next CF singing and the level of the Matic and pogba replacements will define our next 5 years.
I am not fussed if a CF can sing or not.....I just want one who can score goals.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
He’s too slow to be a winger with how I remember United playing with wingers, and definitely not worth the £100 million, it’s one player I hope Liverpool don’t sign because he’s just not dynamic enough... for United though, I reckon someone like Marcus Edwards could be a shrewd signing from the Portuguese league, young and English, cost a lot less and much more of a winger in my eyes.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Granted I’ve only seen him play 6 times but from what I’ve seen he’s not worth 100 million . If he wasn’t English you’d be looking at a £50 million transfer fee.

Danny Tiatto would have looked good against that Ireland

MiceOnMeth

Would still love to sign both him and Grealish even if both will have inflated transfer fees

HisNameIsEarl

In my oppinion, its the wrong question - he is of course not worth the 100M+.

The discussion should rather center around "overpaying for a player that is not yet on the market in order to avoid bidding competition - a valid strategy for Man Utd, as we can afford it?" or something like that.

dal

I am not fussed if a CF can sing or not.....I just want one who can score goals.
Haaland Grealish DLP in

Martial Pogba Matic Cavani out

Bruno, VDB, Greenwood, Haaland, Rashford, Grealish, Diallo, Mejbri, Pellistri. (Fourth experienced striker similar to cavani for backup)

Would be a nice attacking mix for me.

cyberman

I remember German fand saying he wasnt a great dribbler but had great close control and always made the correct decision around the box.
Those expecting Ronaldo or Best out wide are becoming more and more disappointed with the more they see of him

Sparky Rhiwabon

Grealish would be over £100m as well now. We have a knack of waiting until their price has sky rocketed.

Cloud7

I remember German fand saying he wasnt a great dribbler but had great close control and always made the correct decision around the box.
Those expecting Ronaldo or Best out wide are becoming more and more disappointed with the more they see of him
That was the point at which I started questioning if this transfer was right for us. The way he was described, it sounded like he was a somewhat more agile Mata. The question really is, what do we need in this team right now? Rash, Martial and Greenwood are all strikers, even if they can play out wide they aren't proper wide players. I'd say a Ronaldo type winger would be more beneficial for the team. I'm becoming increasingly glad we didn't splurge out that amount of money on Sancho.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That was the point at which I started questioning if this transfer was right for us. The way he was described, it sounded like he was a somewhat more agile Mata. The question really is, what do we need in this team right now? Rash, Martial and Greenwood are all strikers, even if they can play out wide they aren't proper wide players. I'd say a Ronaldo type winger would be more beneficial for the team. I'm becoming increasingly glad we didn't splurge out that amount of money on Sancho.
I like the idea of making the correct decisions. Something we are massively lacking.

He’s definitely not worth over 100m though. I can’t believe clubs buy into hype and often overpay by multiple tens of millions, but it definitely happens, and I’m glad it didn’t to us here. He’s got 70m written all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.