Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Look at Havertz, Werner.

We dodged a bullet with this one. I'm a firm believer of class is permanent, but right now at this moment, I'm doubting the Bundesliga talents. Surely not worth 100m at this point.

SAFMUTD

Pretty sure they wont get a penny over this buyout clause tbf.
I agree, I think Dortmund got fecked up by Covid. I think their plan was to sell this summer before the 50M clause kicked in but covid changed it, I don't think any team will be willing to pay 100M for him when they know he'll be available for 50M on summer 2022.

After all they'll just get their investment back because while they only paid 20M to Salzburg for him they had to pay 30M to the fat fecker Raiola. So they would basically just get their money back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need Diaby on these highlights.

He's a more natural on the right too, due to being left footed. Reminds me off Arjen Robben a little and is extremely fast. He recorded a sprint speed last year of 22.3 mph and he was only 20 at the time.

Last edited:

Cheekiey

He's a more natural on the right too, due to being left footed. Reminds me off Arjen Robben a little and is extremely fast. He recorded a sprint speed last year of 22.3 mph and he was only 20 at the time.
Can we get him aswel as Sancho :angel:
on a serious note he looks like the second coming of Mane but a lefty, we really should be looking at him

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can we get him aswel as Sancho :angel:
on a serious note he looks like the second coming of Mane but a lefty, we really should be looking at him
Having Diallo, Sancho, Diaby and Pellistri will enable us to field two teams in the premier league and we won't have to worry about not having a player on the RW.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Dortmund looking at 120million deficit this year. Their fans still seem confident they dont need to sell at all. Still has a very long contract.

I dunno, I cant see him moving this year.

Idxomer

Dortmund looking at 120million deficit this year. Their fans still seem confident they dont need to sell at all. Still has a very long contract.

I dunno, I cant see him moving this year.
2 and half years left on his current contract, so not that long.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
2 and half years left on his current contract, so not that long.
That´s perfect time to sell. With Dortmund he´s going to win nowt. Whereas we are just coming back to full strength. Having him would seriously help and he knows it. Going back to England etc. I can see him go for little over around 60mil. pounds + some minor add ons. Otherwise he might sign a contract extension with bigger contract. Surely they don´t have that much money and are a selling club:-)

RUCK4444

Like I have said before in posts it's going to come down to whether Ole can convince the board about having dealings with Raiola again, we are capable of rolling out the red carpet for him but whenever he is back on the market there is going to be a lot of serious competition
Yeah I get that, I hate him as much as the next fella, however in this situation we have no choice.

His language is money, offer the most, more than the release clause and grease his sweaty palms with money. We shouldn't be too proud to drop our pants on this one.

dinostar77

Look at Havertz, Werner.

We dodged a bullet with this one. I'm a firm believer of class is permanent, but right now at this moment, I'm doubting the Bundesliga talents. Surely not worth 100m at this point.
Yeh i agree. Imports from germany have been hit and miss. I think Haagland could be a risk as well. We dont need Sancho though, need a no9 for long term so rather take the put on haagland than sancho.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That´s perfect time to sell. With Dortmund he´s going to win nowt. Whereas we are just coming back to full strength. Having him would seriously help and he knows it. Going back to England etc. I can see him go for little over around 60mil. pounds + some minor add ons. Otherwise he might sign a contract extension with bigger contract. Surely they don´t have that much money and are a selling club:-)
He'd be stupid to sign another extension without some sort of clause if he really wants to leave, I bet he's already regretting the extension he signed last time as Dortmund basically used that to try and strongarm us.

This summer I don't think many clubs will be splashing the cash due to covid etc, Barca are broke, Chelsea spent big last summer and not much has come off for them, City are still loaded, but Pep and Sancho seemed to have burnt bridges when he left and PSG are looking for bargain basement loans as they cant/won't spend right now.

That pretty much leaves us, Madrid and maybe someone like atlético (doubtful) - basically Dortmund overplayed their hand last year, and I don't think they'll be bailed out of that this summer, they better hope next year covid has been nullified and clubs are allowed fans back so they can sell him in 2022 with a year left on his deal for a decent sum.

Couldn't have happened to a better club, German clubs have this awful Holier than you attitude to everything not Bundesliga and Dortmund are the worst at it.

Wing Attack Plan R

Look at Havertz, Werner.

Exactly. There's a reason Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, et al. never turned it on in the Prem. I do think Havertz and Werner will end up figuring out how to play in the Prem, just maybe not setting the place exactly ablaze.

There's no way Sancho is worth the price tag.

mav_9me

I don't care how much he or anyone costs. Please God please please make United buy a RM or RW. Please. This is beyond painful. Torture.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I only watched about 20 mins of each half but most of it looked like sideways dribbling, there was one good dribble in the box but that was it.
Sancho was the best BVB player on the pitch against us. Subbing him off was a very weird decision, my Dortmund supporting mate was fuming because of it. It also killed the game, IMO. Dortmund looked the more dangerous team up until the sub and toothless after it.

He's definitely special. Haaland has more lime light currently but I'd still go for Sancho in a heartbeat. Much higher ceiling.

Also, he's still at 17 scorers in 22 games this season, despite Dortmund being very inconsistent. Tells a lot if that is labelled a crises.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah people suddenly being off him shows just how fickle football fans are. He'd be a world class addition and make an unbelievable difference to our attack.

tjb

Yeah people suddenly being off him shows just how fickle football fans are. He'd be a world class addition and make an unbelievable difference to our attack.
I agree. Not for 100m. Plus to prove how fickle fans are, Grealish was superb last season too. We had the chance to sign him, yet our fans looked down at him because Villa were fighting relegation. Now he costs 100m

Eternitiy

If we could somehow sign Sancho and Grealish, we would have all the ingredients to become a very special United team.

shabz

Would love for us to still add him in, it seems pretty obvious that the transfer saga deflated him as he didn't get the dream move. His recent performances have been very good, however, Dortmund aren't playing as well this year so the goals and assists have been harder to come by.

I'm sure he will be back to his best and we definitely need a RW of his class.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree in general. He'd definitely improve United by a lot and I think he'd work great with Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and the likes. However, I'm also pretty sure he'll end up on the left wing rather sooner than later. His profile is typical for an inverted winger and atypical for a traditional one and his best plays already occur when he's occupying the left wing or the half spaces. Ao yes, he'd improve United but he wouldn't fill the vacant spot on RW

hubbuh

@Zehner, is Moussa Diaby as good as the highlights vs. Dortmund suggests?! He absolutely terrorised their defence (based on the 5 minute clip)!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
@Zehner, is Moussa Diaby as good as the highlights vs. Dortmund suggests?! He absolutely terrorised their defence (based on the 5 minute clip)!
He was regarded as one of the best U20 wingers on the planet before he moved to Leverkusen, I've been hearing good things about him since his move, one to keep your eye on.

hubbuh

He was regarded as one of the best U20 wingers on the planet before he moved to Leverkusen, I've been hearing good things about him since his move, one to keep your eye on.
Interesting, cheers @AltiUn. Just read that he joined from PSG. France is like a fecking wheelhouse of talent at the moment.

Dolf

2 goals and 0 assists in 15 Bundesliga games.
If we can get him for 50 mill then fine but i'd rather see us go all out for Haaland, Mbappe, a central defender or one of the Leverkussen talents.

fps

I thought he was the one but looking at the impact Cavani has had we should really be looking for the next 9 in his mould.

dinostar77

Lets be realistic. Glazers are not going to sanction another right winger after we signed 2 already for a total of £50mil. Not unless Dortmund were suddenly desperate for money and we low balled them a misery offer.

Ole from press reports really wants Haaland more than the club want Sancho. However finances are tight in football at the moment. We know Haaland is available for £75mil in summer of 2022. We have Cavani for another season. Personally I think Ole will look to strengthen with a new CB this summer and a backup RB if possible. Then wait till the summer of 2022 to see if we can land Haaland. If we cant and Diallo and Pellestri arent making the progress the club think they should be making, then i think Utd might switch to Sancho. BUT i dont see dortmund allowing Sancho and Haaland to leave in same window. Thats why i think Sancho to Utd is dead in the water. Imho.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No but that's primarily because this was an incredible game from him. He's a great talent and reminds me a bit of Mané the way he moves. His decision making is poor sometimes but his dribbling is incredible, practically undefendable in certain situations - regarding that the Dortmund game is actually a good indicator. He even outpaced Davies in his matches against Bayern.

I don't think he's ready for a move already. Still has many things to learn before he can play an important role for a top club. His finishing for example is often very bad. Bailey on the other hand has made a huge step and plays really mature this season.

marktan

Sancho was the best BVB player on the pitch against us. Subbing him off was a very weird decision, my Dortmund supporting mate was fuming because of it. It also killed the game, IMO. Dortmund looked the more dangerous team up until the sub and toothless after it.

He's definitely special. Haaland has more lime light currently but I'd still go for Sancho in a heartbeat. Much higher ceiling.

Also, he's still at 17 scorers in 22 games this season, despite Dortmund being very inconsistent. Tells a lot if that is labelled a crises.
He was the best player for Dortmund, but the match showed flaws in his game for a supposed £100m+ player. He won't help you beat a low block. He's reluctant to take a man on 1v1 in the final third or run in behind regularly.

Don't get me wrong he's technique is brilliant and the ball sticks to him, but he's not in the same calibre as the likes of Neymar, Mbappe who can beat players with pace. Even someone like Hazard (at Chelsea) was a level or two above Sancho.

I'd take him but not at the prices Dortmund want, because he could very well struggle against the more compact defences United face. We saw it with Kagawa and Mikhi who were less talented but struggled a lot at United.

Also he has 6 goals in 22 games this season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He was the best player for Dortmund, but the match showed flaws in his game for a supposed £100m+ player. He won't help you beat a low block. He's reluctant to take a man on 1v1 in the final third or run in behind regularly.

Don't get me wrong he's technique is brilliant and the ball sticks to him, but he's not in the same calibre as the likes of Neymar, Mbappe who can beat players with pace. Even someone like Hazard (at Chelsea) was a level or two above Sancho.

I'd take him but not at the prices Dortmund want, because he could very well struggle against the more compact defences United face. We saw it with Kagawa and Mikhi who were less talented but struggled a lot at United.

Also he has 6 goals in 22 games this season.
Honestly, I think Sancho is more talemted than Mbappe who can be really sloppy on the ball.

Also, we didn't play a low block and in the situations in which Dortmund had us pushed into our own box, Sancho was very dangerous with his dribblongs and through balls. He's also quite fast,not slower than Hazard. I think the only valid point you make is that he doesn't make deep runs as often but that's also true for Neymar and Messi.

Talentwise he's IMO in the Hazard tier, not Neymar or even Messi.

And by the way, I think Kagawa and Mkhitaryan struggled sue to completely different reasons. Both were used to low blocks at Dorfmund. This had more to do with being used to a system totally different from what United was playing.

marktan

Honestly, I think Sancho is more talemted than Mbappe who can be really sloppy on the ball.

Also, we didn't play a low block and in the situations in which Dortmund had us pushed into our own box, Sancho was very dangerous with his dribblongs and through balls. He's also quite fast,not slower than Hazard. I think the only valid point you make is that he doesn't make deep runs as often but that's also true for Neymar and Messi.

Talentwise he's IMO in the Hazard tier, not Neymar or even Messi.

And by the way, I think Kagawa and Mkhitaryan struggled sue to completely different reasons. Both were used to low blocks at Dorfmund. This had more to do with being used to a system totally different from what United was playing.
Hmm perhaps, you're probably right on Kagawa and Mikhi I didn't watch them much at Dortmund.

R.e. Sancho I watched him a lot when he first broke through at Dortmund, I do rate him highly. But he's not close to Hazard in my opinion, who carried Chelsea for years and was their main focal point consistently drawing fouls and creating. The closest comparison I can think of is someone like Grealish, who consistently creates and dribbles for Villa. Sancho has it in him to do that, but he doesn't, whether that's coaching or a lack of confidence I'm not sure, but it's something I've seen when he's played in Europe too.

It's just for £100m+ you'd want someone who's already a complete article, not one that still has a lot of growing to do.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hmm perhaps, you're probably right on Kagawa and Mikhi I didn't watch them much at Dortmund.

R.e. Sancho I watched him a lot when he first broke through at Dortmund, I do rate him highly. But he's not close to Hazard in my opinion, who carried Chelsea for years and was their main focal point consistently drawing fouls and creating. The closest comparison I can think of is someone like Grealish, who consistently creates and dribbles for Villa. Sancho has it in him to do that, but he doesn't, whether that's coaching or a lack of confidence I'm not sure, but it's something I've seen when he's played in Europe too.

It's just for £100m+ you'd want someone who's already a complete article, not one that still has a lot of growing to do.
Well, that's a different story. He's of course not as good as Hazard was in his best days. Given how most 100+m transfers turned out as of now it's generally debatable to pay so much for a player since even proven world class can flop. And neither Liverpool nor Bayern required such signings to win the CL.

However, if we compare just talent, I believe Sancho is in similar spheres to Hazard.

croadyman

Lets be realistic. Glazers are not going to sanction another right winger after we signed 2 already for a total of £50mil. Not unless Dortmund were suddenly desperate for money and we low balled them a misery offer.

Ole from press reports really wants Haaland more than the club want Sancho. However finances are tight in football at the moment. We know Haaland is available for £75mil in summer of 2022. We have Cavani for another season. Personally I think Ole will look to strengthen with a new CB this summer and a backup RB if possible. Then wait till the summer of 2022 to see if we can land Haaland. If we cant and Diallo and Pellestri arent making the progress the club think they should be making, then i think Utd might switch to Sancho. BUT i dont see dortmund allowing Sancho and Haaland to leave in same window. Thats why i think Sancho to Utd is dead in the water. Imho.
What do you reckon Ole's plans are in regard to a CDM because can't help thinking we are still way too short in that area with Matic the only proper one in the squad and he can't play every week. I appreciate that Fred & Scott can do a holding role but really need to sign someone who can do the job on their own.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree in general. He'd definitely improve United by a lot and I think he'd work great with Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and the likes. However, I'm also pretty sure he'll end up on the left wing rather sooner than later. His profile is typical for an inverted winger and atypical for a traditional one and his best plays already occur when he's occupying the left wing or the half spaces. Ao yes, he'd improve United but he wouldn't fill the vacant spot on RW
This is what i've been saying for a while and him being naturally right footed makes him a ideal candidate for the role on the left. One of our youth coaches in England, Dan Micciche who has worked with Sancho at junior national level believes he's best suited to playing on the left. Also it's important to remember that his dip in form possibly coincided with Hakimi leaving which has possibly impacted his performance.

I believe the coaching staff have the belief that Amad Diallo will be a our RWF long-term because he's naturally left footed and provides a natural balance on the right and is adept with his weaker foot. You don't spend the amount the club have on Diallo to see him used as the back up long-term. I hope the club sign either Grealish or Sancho because imo they have the craft and guile which we lack on the left currently and both players potentially are really good to watch due to their high technical level especially in close quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.