Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

Pellestri £10 million

Diallo £20 million initially £40 million (adds on)

If we pay £80-100 million for Sancho we have paid nearly £150 million for 3 RW in 12 months .

I wouldn’t be surprised if we pursue other positions . Just seems a lot of money and players for one position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pellestri £10 million

If we pay £80-100 million for Sancho we have paid nearly £150 million for 3 RW in 12 months .

I wouldn’t be surprised if we pursue other positions . Just seems a lot of money and players for one position.
Not one position. They all can play in any attacking positions. Not sure about Diallo but Sancho plays as both RW ans LW. Pellistri played as winger and also played in attacking mid position.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me, he wont be able to pull off his 1st assist that he did coming off the left when playing on the right in England. That was a perfectly weighed pass that beat the people it had to and found Haaland.

I dont think he will be able to pull that off in England on the RW coming in on his weaker foot. He will have to be much quicker, skillfull and initiative, arguably against a league that have started to play defensively against us. He has done that to be fair but we are stacking up on a hybrid LW/RW that is still slightly better on the left because of his right foot.

As long as it doesnt interfere our chance of getting Grealish (a complete different type of LW/LAM & player to who we have in the squad) then I'd still be okay with getting Sancho. Sancho can stick to the right, let Grealish dominate left or centre. If it's only one then its Jack.

Judas

Open to offers
For me, he wont be able to pull off his 1st assist that he did coming off the left when playing on the right in England. That was a perfectly weighed pass that beat the people it had to and found Haaland.

I dont think he will be able to pull that off in England on the RW coming in on his weaker foot. He will have to be much quicker, skillfull and initiative, arguably against a league that have started to play defensively against us. He has done that to be fair but we are stacking up on a hybrid LW/RW that is still slightly better on the left because of his right foot.

As long as it doesnt interfere our chance of getting Grealish (a complete different type of LW/LAM & player to who we have in the squad) then I'd still be okay with getting Sancho. Sancho can stick to the right, let Grealish dominate left or centre. If it's only one then its Jack.
99% of the league has played defensively against us even when we were crap to be fair.

Bebestation

99% of the league has played defensively against us even when we were crap to be fair.
I felt we used to be able to play counterattack much more before and players like Martial and Greenwood would be caught in acres of free spaces compared to now where they sit in front face to face against the defence.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

And I thought you only post nonsense when it's about CR7 or Messi. You seem to be very versatile.

Bebestation

And I thought you only post nonsense when it's about CR7 or Messi. You seem to be very versatile.
Still hurt that I talked about how the Bundesliga defenders are shit and non existent especially at fullback :( please stay strong and dont let people hurt your soul so easily.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Still hurt that I talked about how the Bundesliga defenders are shit and non existent especially at fullback :( please stay strong and dont let people hurt your soul so easily.
I just assume you pretending Bundesliga fullbacks don't exist is a protective function of your brain after your recent experiences with Angelino. After all we already know you have a very special relation with facts. But I'm sure you'll be good, after all Dunning Kruger is very strong in you. I know you won't allow some minor cognitive dissonances to persuade your opinion.

But please, also think of other people and stop talking about tactics. There are people who might scratch their eyes out after reading your posts.

MasterCode

This is very true, I say it all the time - Sancho would really struggle in the prem. Although if he signed he would develop into an okay winger (he wouldn't even do half what he does in the Bundesliga)

It's like how many times do people want to fall for Bundesliga hype jobs, I can rattle of a list of players who struggle a lot more misses from Bundesliga (especially more recently) than hits.

Would rather we developed, Diallo and Mason.

Bebestation

I just assume you pretending Bundesliga fullbacks don't exist is a protective function of your brain after your recent experiences with Angelino. After all we already know you have a very special relation with facts. But I'm sure you'll be good, after all Dunning Kruger is very strong in you. I know you won't allow some minor cognitive dissonances to persuade your opinion.

But please, also think of other people and stop talking about tactics. There are people who might scratch their eyes out after reading your posts.
It's okay I have had plenty people agree with what I say, I dont need pick your posts out to make myself feel better sunshine.

Take care.

Sancho is a slightly better LW than a RW. If you cant see that then stick to the Bundesliga where Kagawa, Havertz, Werner, Mkhitaryan take on all your defenders who are half way up the pitch pressing or attacking to get caught on a counter most of the game.

Now stop talking to me, I didnt talk to you.

Tallis

I don’t know if I would sign him for €100 million to be honest - probably not. I think something close to what Havertz went for like €70M+ 10m sounds about right. Dortmund seem quite stubborn so not sure if they will entertain a bid at that level. Liverpool may want to jump into the race to sign him though - they need to freshen up their forward line.

I like the look for Antony at Ajax although he seems a similar type of player to Diallo. In that regard, Sancho offers a little more flexibility in being able to play both sides.

dinostar77

Pellestri £10 million

I can see why people want Sancho but its not gonna happen. Utd arent immune to the financial effects of covid. Ole will have to priortise and make his case for signings this summer. I think it will be a starting CB alongside Maguire and a backup experienced RB to provide competition for AWB. Thats all.

Does anyone really believe Woodward will go to the glazers and ask for permission to spend money on a 3rd right winger within 12 months ?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's okay I have had plenty people agree with what I say, I dont need pick your posts out to make myself feel better sunshine.

Take care.

Sancho is a slightly better LW than a RW. If you cant see that then stick to the Bundesliga where Kagawa, Havertz, Werner, Mkhitaryan take on all your defenders who are half way up the pitch pressing or attacking to get caught on a counter most of the game.

Now stop talking to me, I didnt talk to you.
Parents don't count.

But anyway, there are millions of people agreeing the world is run by an immortal secret society of satanistic child abusers. That is even more absurd than (some) of your posts. You'll always find somebody who agrees with you on the internet. Actually, if I agreed with you that would be reason enough for me to question my opinion.

Speaking of which, just yesterday I ponted out in here that Sancho is more of a left than a right winger. I guess it's time to reevaluate that.

cyberman

Its why we have as many points as we do. Sit back and you have Bruno and Pogba on the edge of your box with Shaw and Rashford interchanging out wide to get to the byline added with the movement of Cavani through the middle makes us hard to plan against.
Teams are playing 2018 tactics against us and havent adjusted just yet.
Sancho wont help with that. We need a Halaand to help us with the goal from nothing, that movement that kills a defence.
We dont need Sancho and his running into space habits from Germany

macheda14

There will be more clubs in for him, but if we want him where we finish in the league might be a deciding factor. If we finish above Liverpool and way above Chelsea then I can’t see him choosing anyone else seeing as we’d probably offer the same wages as Chelsea.

Bebestation

This is very true, I say it all the time - Sancho would really struggle in the prem. Although if he signed he would develop into an okay winger (he wouldn't even do half what he does in the Bundesliga)

It's like how many times do people want to fall for Bundesliga hype jobs, I can rattle of a list of players who struggle a lot more misses from Bundesliga (especially more recently) than hits.

Would rather we developed, Diallo and Mason.
For me that's not the issue. United dont have the ability to counter attack anymore as much as we did after the covid break last season so you have to take your defender on very deep before passing crossing or shooting.

Sancho can do this decent enough but I'm not sure he can pull this off at RW for united like a 75mil + player. Hopefully he can and we are left with a wonderful potentially world class RW - the one thing I dont want is him to struggle and find that he is better covering, competing, taking over Rashfords spot because that's not why we buy him for. I think his ability is about 5 % better on the LW than RW; if we tone down the hype of performance of the Bundesliga and convert it to the premiership we might just have another LW that can play well on the RW (like a more versatile version of Rashford). I dont want us to go for Sancho who ends up covering our LW because I want Grealish here really badly and he needs some positions open for him. The way he plays is not like Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Amad or a Sancho or whoever - he plays the game differently and is a player that can help us progress. VDB has taken a Grealish position, Sancho might take one too. If Sancho doesnt and can hold that RW spot then I'm okay for it, but I've seen Sancho have quiet or unremarkable games for England and for Dortmund when playing in the CL especially at RW.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
For me that's not the issue. United dont have the ability to counter attack anymore as much as we did after the covid break last season so you have to take your defender on very deep before passing crossing or shooting.

Sancho can do this decent enough but I'm not sure he can pull this off at RW for united like a 75mil + player. Hopefully he can and we are left with a wonderful potentially world class RW - the one thing I dont want is him to struggle and find that he is better covering, competing, taking over Rashfords spot because that's not why we buy him for. I think his ability is about 5 % better on the LW than RW; if we tone down the hype of performance of the Bundesliga and convert it to the premiership we might just have another LW that can play well on the RW (like a more versatile version of Rashford). I dont want us to go for Sancho who ends up covering our LW because I want Grealish here really badly and he needs some positions open for him. The way he plays is not like Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Amad or a Sancho or whoever - he plays the game differently and is a player that can help us progress. VDB has taken a Grealish position, Sancho might take one too. If Sancho doesnt and can hold that RW spot then I'm okay for it, but I've seen Sancho have quiet or unremarkable games for England and for Dortmund when playing in the CL especially at RW.
Oh we do, we're just missing that accurate pass here and there. Plus I'd add that teams are setting up to stop us doing that.Look at Wolves and Villa

Tallis

There will be more clubs in for him, but if we want him where we finish in the league might be a deciding factor. If we finish above Liverpool and way above Chelsea then I can’t see him choosing anyone else seeing as we’d probably offer the same wages as Chelsea.
I don’t think Chelsea will have much pulling power for next couple of transfer windows unless they can show some evidence of successfully integerating their new expensive signings from the last window. They will also have to write off at least 1-2 of their signings if they want to bring in Sancho

ForeverRed1

Such question can only be answered at the end of the season when Diallo has played. I don't see Pellistri making much if any impact on the first team this season, he'll be a question mark for a little while longer.

Personally, and controversially perhaps, I still wouldn't adversed to signing him for the LW even if Diallo is an absolute beast. Because I think he'd deliver better than Martial and link up well with the current version of Shaw we're seeing at the moment. Sancho is versatile, exactly what Ole seems to like from his forwards.

Of course this is ignoring what would happen to Rashford, but I'm just throwing ideas out there, clearly Rashford is rightfully one of the first names on the team sheet and long may that continue.
I’d rather spend that money on grealish I think...

Him Bruno and rashford charging at teams would be something else!

croadyman

I’d rather spend that money on grealish I think...

Him Bruno and rashford charging at teams would be something else!
Yeah it definitely would be but it comes down to whether or not Pogba gets sold in the summer and also if Ole believes that Jack could play on the RW because Marcus doesn't look very comfortable on that side either. I am a massive fan of Grealish but are we better signing someone who provides that balance in attack.

passing-wind

Yeah it definitely would be but it comes down to whether or not Pogba gets sold in the summer and also if Ole believes that Jack could play on the RW because Marcus doesn't look very comfortable on that side either. I am a massive fan of Grealish but are we better signing someone who provides that balance in attack.
This is the key and I can't understand why people miss this point. Grealish is not an 8 he's either behind the striker or on the left. We have two of our best attacking players in Grealish's position. If everyone wants Ole to end up in the likes of Lampard's shoes, implementing a team and then re-arranging key players taking the squad even longer to transition to find a point of consistency the suggestions don't make sense.

We haven't had a natural right winger in years, I think Sancho's poor form is more the result of the mental strain over the collapse of the move rather than a question on his ability. 80 million would be a very feasible transaction, I feel he would gel well with the players in around his position at the club. Not to mention allowing AWB to have more space opening up the width on the right hand side so that we are effective on either flank.

TsuWave

Sancho is 5 years younger than Grealish and has already accomplished more. I like Grealish, a lot in fact, but Sancho is something else entirely

croadyman

Sancho is 5 years younger than Grealish and has already accomplished more. I like Grealish, a lot in fact, but Sancho is something else entirely
Will he be able to bring his best form to the Premier League though, I do have genuine concerns he could end up like Kagawa/Mkhitaryan but if we do still decide to go in for him again this summer really hope he can ease my doubts

TsuWave

Will he be able to bring his best form to the Premier League though, I do have genuine concerns he could end up like Kagawa/Mkhitaryan but if we do still decide to go in for him again this summer really hope he can ease my doubts
The guy is a product of English football, and was highly rated way before he touched down at BVB, to the point we tried to sign him before he even went to Germany. Kagawa and Mkhitaryan have nothing to do with him aside from the fact they all played in Germany and for Dortmund.

Just had back to back world class seasons and most, including his ex coaches, just see it as natural progression of his talent rather than Dortmund/Bundesliga juice.

croadyman

The guy is a product of English football, and was highly rated way before he touched down at BVB, to the point we tried to sign him before he even went to Germany. Kagawa and Mkhitaryan have nothing to do with him aside from the fact they all played in Germany and for Dortmund.

Just had back to back world class seasons and most, including his ex coaches, just see it as natural progression of his talent rather than Dortmund/Bundesliga juice.
So do you reckon @passing-wind is right about his general poor form this season being very much down to the fact that he didn't get the move to Utd last summer

marktan

Hes not. He's been very impressive for Dortmund but has been poor when I've watched him in the CL against the top teams.

Grealish on the other hand is the best player on the pitch every time he plays for Villa, regardless of which team he's playing against. They're similar players in terms of play styles, but Grealishs final ball, shooting and dribbling are all ahead of Sancho's currently, particularly because it's proven against the best teams in our league.

I'd be disappointed if we spent more than £50m on Sancho given the question marks over him, whereas I'd happily spend £70m on Grealish. Though the bigger question mark is whether we really need either given both are right footed and long term would play their best football on the left, like Rashford does. Given these question marks I'd classify Sancho a gamble at a high price despite his obvious ability.

::sonny::

Wait another year, they will be desperate to sell to raise funds.

They are not a rich club, often they are “foreced” to sell

Last edited:

Caesar2290

Serves those self righteous cnuts right :lol::lol:
Exactly. Who is going to sign him besides us? Everyone is skint thanks to Covid

I say we drop a 60 million take it or leave it bid on them. If not we move to other potential RW replacements.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Really like Grealish, think he's been one of the top 3 players in the last 12 months and wanted him here in the summer - but he's not as good a fit for what we need as Sancho.

Sancho is tailor-made for the gaping hole in our squad. Young, talented, fast and actually plays the position we're lacking.

Grealish and Fernandes do too many of the same things. Sancho would make us better the moment he arrived.

Also screw Dortmund and their attitude. 120m...you might get half that in your upcoming fire sale.

Grealish has absolutely blown me away this season, he’s as sure a thing as I’ve ever seen. Utterly sublime footballer, and I’m one that would’ve chosen Sancho over him in the Summer (at the right price) without question.

I’m not at all convinced Sancho can look as good as Grealish in this league, in fact, I’d be amazed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Reckon we could get him for 70-80 mil, interesting to see how diallo gets on though.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
£100 million+ seems like a shocking amount in the current climate, plus we've only recently signed Diallo.

Can't see us going for Sancho this summer.

Polar

I think Pogba out and a RW and CDM in is a likely scenario this summer.

I don’t mind paying 50m +15m for Sancho. Probably 60+15 is more realistic. People seem to forget he is only 21 (mar), and he likely will become better and better the next years.

He is a safe bet!

It’s reasonable to expect only one of the other newcomers is able to succeed, and we need both backup and someone to set the standard.

sherrinford

Really like Grealish, think he's been one of the top 3 players in the last 12 months and wanted him here in the summer - but he's not as good a fit for what we need as Sancho.

Sancho is tailor-made for the gaping hole in our squad. Young, talented, fast and actually plays the position we're lacking.

Grealish and Fernandes do too many of the same things. Sancho would make us better the moment he arrived.

Also screw Dortmund and their attitude. 120m...you might get half that in your upcoming fire sale.
Not really. Playing Sancho on the right is not dissimilar to playing Grealish there. Both want the ball into feet and like freedom to move around, come towards the ball and come inside into space.

A tailor-made player for the right side of our attack would be, for example, Mo Salah. Someone who naturally offers penetrative running and a goal threat - a right-sided Eto'o, David Villa or Aubameyang.

saivet

Not really. Playing Sancho on the right is not dissimilar to playing Grealish there. Both want the ball into feet and like freedom to move around, come towards the ball and come inside into space.

A tailor-made player for the right side of our attack would be, for example, Mo Salah. Someone who naturally offers penetrative running and a goal threat - a right-sided Eto'o, David Villa or Aubameyang.
Sancho has played a lot of his football on the RW unlike Grealish and has done well, so I'm not really sure it would be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.