Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
lets just sell pogba, martial and try and get haaland and sancho, free agent ramos.

screw the rest of the positions for this transfer window yolo

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought he has had a pretty average season and not worth going back for.
Slow start but back to normal since late last year or the new year. He's up there with any u21 player in the world, and has been for a few years now. The underrating of him since we failed to sign him in the summer has been laughable.

Dr. StrangeHate

Slow start but back to normal since late last year or the new year. He's up there with any u21 player in the world, and has been for a few years now. The underrating of him since we failed to sign him in the summer has been laughable.
His performances for England are more representative of what he can do for us. As like England, we don't really have much of a game plan high up the pitch. I have only seen his England performances and don't see that working for us. Obviously I haven't watched domestic german league much to have a correct opinion on that side.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I thought he has had a pretty average season and not worth going back for.
Form has picked up in 2021. 'Average' is comparitive to last season which was world-class. Even then he's still not far off a goal or assist every 90.

Bear in Dortmund as a whole have been nowhere near as good.

Giggsy13

The only thing I will say is we only spent around £75m last summer and that was with matchday revenue until March, therefore without any at all this season makes me think we will cut back even more this time
100% this. Anyone expecting a massive overlay will be greatly disappointed. This is the same owners who sold Lukaku in 2019 without replacing him despite making assurances to Ole that a striker would be bought. That was without the pandemic. A CB may be the only marquee signing, if we’re lucky.

bosnian_red

His performances for England are more representative of what he can do for us. As like England, we don't really have much of a game plan high up the pitch. I have only seen his England performances and don't see that working for us. Obviously I haven't watched domestic german league much to have a correct opinion on that side.
Meh, not sure on that. International football is rarely representative of how a player is at club level or in general. I'd say all you or anyone needs to do is to look at our right wing options to see a difference in impact. Greenwood as a right winger, Dan James, Mata, Rashford on the right.... none of them are good options (for Rashford and Greenwood, it's because they are out of position). Or Diallo who has less than 60 total minutes of professional football for Atalanta under his belt.

Seeing his underlying stats compared to other attackers pretty much say it all for him. The kid is dominant in so many categories, his productivity with goals and assists has been elite ever since he broke through, and is just such a smart player overall despite being only 20.
https://fbref.com/en/players/dbf053da/scout/365_euro/Jadon-Sancho-Scouting-Report

I've seen the argument of giving Greenwood the starting spot and letting him develop instead of getting Sancho... and I just don't get it. Greenwood is a talented young player who will long term be a striker. He isn't a good right winger. At all. Probably the best of our garbage options, but he creates very little on the right, doesn't get in many goalscoring positions himself on the right and doesn't suit Rashford/whoever the long term striker will be through the middle having a forward like him on the right. That's without even taking into account that if we're honest, Sancho is on a different planet to Greenwood as of now (and is only 20, let's not forget).

TsuWave

I said it multiple times, guy comes here and is instantly our best attacker.

He's a special cloth type of player. I'm sorry Redcafe. He's that good.

bosnian_red

Agreed, he’s criminally underrated on this board.
Yup. People butthurt after we failed to get him last summer. I've been saying it all along. The guy is only 20 but has played at a world class level for 2 full seasons already, mainly as a right winger. It's such a no brainer signing and he's affordable, we simply have to get him and do everything we can to get him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we can get him for ~£80m or less he’s the RW for any top club to be looking at.

I mean he just affects the game positively so much always asking questions of defence and he might lose the ball occasionally but that was a really mature performance for a 20yo.

TsuWave

The guy is only 20 but has played at a world class level for 2 full seasons already
Facts. I said the same thing verbatim:

He's had back to back world class seasons, and is already one of the best in the world in his position, during what are supposed to be his formative years. Incredible player. Exceptional talent
then had to exchange posts with obtuse people who have no idea what they're talking about, and it's evidenced by the fact they think he's having a bad season, when the guy was only out of form for a couple of months and has been balling for a minute now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He suffered due to Dortmund's RW player Hakimi leaving IMO. Play him off the left and he looks a natural.

Murray3007

personally think he fantastic, dont care what the fee is would have him here in a heart beat, would be our best attacking player by some distance for me, think it might be a summer of quite a few in and out's. would imagine would need a fee of around 70/75m this summer to land him. just be if United are willing to go that high on him

Eire Red United

personally think he fantastic, dont care what the fee is would have him here in a heart beat, would be our best attacking player by some distance for me, think it might be a summer of quite a few in and out's. would imagine would need a fee of around 70/75m this summer to land him. just be if United are willing to go that high on him
That’s a bargain really when you look at what that money has bought in recent years...

Murray3007

That’s a bargain really when you look at what that money has bought in recent years...
would look a pretty good price although most of our other big fee's on players have usually ended up as flops for me, have to go quite a good bit down the list for our last big signing who has been a excellent.

croadyman

would look a pretty good price although most of our other big fee's on players have usually ended up as flops for me, have to go quite a good bit down the list for our last big signing who has been a excellent.
Has to be Bruno surely doesn't it

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He suffered due to Dortmund's RW player Hakimi leaving IMO. Play him off the left and he looks a natural.
Great - another player stronger on the left.

Weird how right wingers are so much more scarce. Raphinha at Leeds looking a bit of a steal right now.

Murray3007

Weird how right wingers are so much more scarce. Raphinha at Leeds looking a bit of a steal right now.
think we need a RW who is right footed to help our attacking from that side, simply because AWB is so poor at going forward,

Adnan

Talent Spotter

People forget that Hakimi was infact the actual right winger in the team. Sancho is someone that will naturally drift in-field to create plays especially in the space between the fullback and CB. Asking him to cross the ball with his right foot playing wide would be a waste of his talents IMO. That should be the job of the wide receiver (fullback)

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
think we need a RW who is right footed to help our attacking from that side, simply because AWB is so poor at going forward,
AWB ain’t that poor going forward - I thought people had given up on that bandwagon bullshit?

Anyway - Sancho is right footed? So’s Rashford, Martial, James etc. Need a Robben type maybe. Greenwood could grow into that role 100%

Murray3007

AWB ain’t that poor going forward - I thought people had given up on that bandwagon bullshit?

Anyway - Sancho is right footed? So’s Rashford, Martial, James etc. Need a Robben type maybe. Greenwood could grow into that role 100%
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

inside forwards only work if you have quality at full back going forward, Maybe Laird will provide that when he is back, Greenwood needs to play ST

RRCE

He’d be a fantastic addition, for all the reasons that have been stated. He’s young. He‘s English. He plays in a position that has been killing us for years. He creates. He scores. He makes those around him better. We absolutely should bring him in this summer.

Beyond that, although it’s perhaps a bit far fetched, it may increase our chances of landing Haaland next summer. It seems like Sancho and Haaland really enjoy playing together. If we land Sancho, maybe Halaand would fancy joining him. Wishful thinking, I know.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He's quite poor. Got a few assists which has been encouraging but a long way to go to reached an acceptable level. In terms of tackling and engine he's great though.

bosnian_red

Sancho isn't stronger on the left... He's equally capable on both sides, and the vast majority of the time plays on the right wing anyway. Hakimi helped a lot to provide width so Sancho could occupy the half spaces, but he's just a brilliant player in general and could play on the right for us no problem. It's not like Sancho has only been effective when Hakimi was there anyway.

croadyman

He’d be a fantastic addition, for all the reasons that have been stated. He’s young. He‘s English. He plays in a position that has been killing us for years. He creates. He scores. He makes those around him better. We absolutely should bring him in this summer.

Beyond that, although it’s perhaps a bit far fetched, it may increase our chances of landing Haaland next summer. It seems like Sancho and Haaland really enjoy playing together. If we land Sancho, maybe Halaand would fancy joining him. Wishful thinking, I know.
Still feel like we are going to assess how Amad does before deciding whether to go back in for him this summer, personally I would like to have both because having a starter helps to take the pressure off him to perform but hard to see the board funding moves for two marquee players.

Caesar2290

People keep saying 60m. I can’t see Dortmund dropping below 75m
You're right. But I think it will be 60m+ addons which will bring the price to 75-80m. I can't see us paying more than that with the current economic climate.

The only thing I will say is we only spent around £75m last summer and that was with matchday revenue until March, therefore without any at all this season makes me think we will cut back even more this time
Tbf I think the reason we are spending so little is because of our enormous payroll. We have one of the biggest ones in the world. And with players like Henderson and Lingard on close to 100k a week, it's no wonder.

If we were to reduce our payroll by 25%(doable) we would have an extra 50-60 million every transfer window. But that would mean that Woody and Judge would have to get their act together and be competent for once. I'm not holding my breath though. :lol:

croadyman

You're right. But I think it will be 60m+ addons which will bring the price to 75-80m. I can't see us paying more than that with the current economic climate.

Tbf I think the reason we are spending so little is because of our enormous payroll. We have one of the biggest ones in the world. And with players like Henderson and Lingard on close to 100k a week, it's no wonder.

If we were to reduce our payroll by 25%(doable) we would have an extra 50-60 million every transfer window. But that would mean that Woody and Judge would have to get their act together and be competent for once. I'm not holding my breath though. :lol:
Who do you think we need to remove off the payroll to reduce it by that percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.